Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Exact. The problem of "jihad" or "crusade" armies that remain inactive around a designated city seems recurrent.
    In my campaign with France, a crusade against Tunis and against the Sicilians left in place several armies of jihad and crusade without attacking the city.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Maybe reducing this value will force them to get closer to the target: <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0"/>
    It basically indicates how close a crusading army has to be to it's target to avoid disbanding due to lack pf progress. I am guessing that's the distance the armies are hovering around there. The ultimate reason however could be the relative strength of the army versus the garrison, eg the lack thereof.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Example to illustrate the problem: this part was a campaign of the kingdom of France on version 0.9.6
    But I don't think there has been any change with version 0.9.7 in this regard.

In this case there was against Tunis a crusade + a Jihad !
    As you can see, the city was well defended by the Kingdom of Sicily, but oddly enough, even after several turns, no army decided to attack.

Blog Entries

I would have been utterly amazed if indeed an attack had taken place. You don't need a complicated auto resolve calculation to know that it would result in utter defeat of any attacker: moors and turks (did they attack previously?) have barely any units left in their stacks, even the pope with his full stack wouldn't stand a chance. While the AI isn't exactly the epitome of coding I would assume that 'no chance of winning - don't attack' is basic enough to exist.
    The jihad\crusade situation however forces the armies to remain close to the target to avoid desertion, the moment the crusade\jihad is over those armies will high tail it back home.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 02, 2020 at 03:38 AM.

So, one thing I am enjoying in this mod over EB2, other than the whole inter-religion dynamics (even if they are more nominal than nothing else at this point), is that the general, inter-factional mechanics feel a little bit more fleshed out. Also, castles vs cities, add to complexity. But I think there's room for factional-exclusive mechanics. Maybe something like factional quests that award inheritable traits to the FLs? And various monitors to the general state of Catholicism could make playing the Papal States more interesting than "kick every single merchant republic out".

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    So, one thing I am enjoying in this mod over EB2, other than the whole inter-religion dynamics (even if they are more nominal than nothing else at this point), is that the general, inter-factional mechanics feel a little bit more fleshed out. Also, castles vs cities, add to complexity. But I think there's room for factional-exclusive mechanics. Maybe something like factional quests that award inheritable traits to the FLs? And various monitors to the general state of Catholicism could make playing the Papal States more interesting than "kick every single merchant republic out".
    Yes, there's a space for it but it should be well thought out how the features interact. Adding one script may break another or make game for some reason heavily imbalanced.
    At the moment I'm coding the factions reforms for a few faction I'm interested in. I'm also recoding the units' availabilty and buildings' benefits related to these events.

;---- FACTIONS' HISTORICAL EVOLUTIONS
    ;------- Elements used in multiple scripts
    ;---------- Counters for number of buildings completed
    ;---------- Ostsiedlung event
    ;------- Catholic Factions
    ;---------- Poland Evolution
    ;------- Orthodox Factions
    ;---------- Byzantine Evolutions
    ;---------- Serbia Evolution
    ;---------- Georgia Evolution
    ;------- Muslim Dynasties
    ;---------- Zengid Evolution
    ;---------- Abbasid Evolution
    ;---------- Fatimid to Ayyubid transition
    ;---------- Ayyubid to Mamluk transition

As the number of non-holy warrying (that is, Non-Catholic, and Non-Islamic) factions increased, maybe it would be worthwhile to add more traits or triggers for them to get Chivalry, as a member of these factions can join three holy wars in less than 20 years and max out Chivalry, Piety, and possibly Command. A bit unfair.

Furthermore, I'd like to suggest to increase the cooldown. A crusade every 4 years or so, as entertaining as it is, is a bit unrealistic, even if the pope himself doesn't declare that often, the player can surely capitalize on that. How about 10? That way, it is possible to get a Grand Crusader trait, but it would demand starting very early and finishing very late.

Finally, the crusade money bag, although was probably quite nice in vanilla, it is really not much right now. Up to 2.5k for taking a target? I understand that the bag is certainly not the reason you'd crusade for, but calling that a prize is a bit ridiculous.

Blog Entries

Crusade cool down would require reducing the pope's favor if I am not mistaken. Doing that artificially can mess up other game play, especially the excommunication mechanic. Jihad cool down similarly requires to increase the required piety levels of imams (in descr_campaign_db) or reducing of piety of the imams.

You get additional price money for each surviving crusade unit as well at the end of the crusade, that can amount to a healthy sum. In the early days I used to shamelessly exploit that by rushing a strong army to the target and then just before capturing the settlement would raise every possible additional crusading army at home. Failure to capture the target would obviously have disastrous consequences...
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 04, 2020 at 10:25 PM.

Alzender's Avatar Libertus

I wanted to go back to sship after a few years without checking the new versions but I couldn't get it to work.
    It is specified in the installation instructions to install the mod on a clean version of SS 6.4. The one linked in the installation threads points to a package containing the meloo fix which has to be avoided. Where can I find a clean Stainless Steel 6.4 download, compatible with SSHIP 0.97 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alzender View Post
    I wanted to go back to sship after a few years without checking the new versions but I couldn't get it to work.
    It is specified in the installation instructions to install the mod on a clean version of SS 6.4. The one linked in the installation threads points to a package containing the meloo fix which has to be avoided. Where can I find a clean Stainless Steel 6.4 download, compatible with SSHIP 0.97 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    try download this version, that is simply my own SSHIP directory zipped and uploaded. It does include KCC and a few my more recent modifications. Some reported that it's worked for them well.

Thank you very much Jurand ! I've just tested it, and it works, I was able to launch the game.
    However, in order to be sure everything is correctly set up, do I need to launch the setup.exe to enable savage AI ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alzender View Post
    Thank you very much Jurand ! I've just tested it, and it works, I was able to launch the game.
    However, in order to be sure everything is correctly set up, do I need to launch the setup.exe to enable savage AI ?
    No, don't launch anything, only play the game as it is. I'm not sure what would happen if you'd run the setup.exe, I don't expect anything good.

Marcvs Antonivs's Avatar Senator

I gotta thank Jurand for uploading your folder, too. Unfortunately I do not have a Mega account so I have to wait 6h for the remainder of the 13% missing from the download. hahah. Haven't played SSHIP or M2TW for quite a while so far, but it's good to be back and see the mod is still progressing.
    Cassius: "Our men at arms have secured the city. We've received representatives from all the best elements. The senate is with us, the knights are with us."
    Brutus:"The pontifs, the urban cohorts, the lictors guild..."
    Antony: "Oh, the lictors guild, very good. Only rally the bakers and the flute players and you can put on a festival."

I've set up a Mega account, it's free and very useful for any purpose of uploading a file. You just copy a link then. It think it's worth a minute (but I live in the EU, it may be more difficult in parts of the world, I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by Marcvs Antonivs View Post
    I gotta thank Jurand for uploading your folder, too. Unfortunately I do not have a Mega account so I have to wait 6h for the remainder of the 13% missing from the download. hahah. Haven't played SSHIP or M2TW for quite a while so far, but it's good to be back and see the mod is still progressing.

I had the same problem.
    If you have enough cell phone signal (and data) use your smartphone as a wifi or bluetooth remote access point, it did the trick for me

JoC and team, this S@#t is awesome!!

I have finally gotten around all of my CTD's except for the random crashes during turns. It's completely random and doesn't leave an error in the simple log, and plays through after restart and is only happening maybe every 25 - 30 turns or more.

I absolutely love the re-emerging factions and civil wars, as long as it's the other factions having civil war. It is no fun at all when you have your own civil war and the only general you have near home is the non-movable USURPER!! I guess that is realism for you though.

Agent reduction - At first I hated it, but it makes you play different. Previously in most versions it wasn't too difficult to get up to 3 or 4 diplomats relatively quickly and send them about roaming and dropping small gifts and picking up current map info. IDK why this is so important to me in England to know what the Cuman map looks like, but it is. I've never been big on merchants, I lose them easily but now it is much easier to keep up with.

KCC units look AMAZING. IDK if you did the Hospitallers (may fav) or not, but this is the first version/mod that I've actually liked the card and the sprites or whatever you call them on the field.

I could go on and on about what I love about this game, but I have some questions.

1.) Crowns. Say I'm playing as England and I've conquered all of the lands for the English crown and my FL gets coronated in London. In order to do this you pretty much have to eliminate the scots unless they take up a new home somewhere else, but I don't ever see them doing that since they don't race down the coast for Flanders anymore, but I digress. My question is, once I have the crown, will there be a chance for Scotland to then re-emerge in Edinburgh or Aberdeen AND for me to keep the crown? I'd really like to have the other factions around in at least one of their original settlements as a vassal and retain the crown as well.

2.) Crowns continued. OK so as England I own all of the British Isles and Western France and now have the crown of England. If I now push east and conquer the remaining lands for the French crown, will I be able to pick that up as well?

3.) The negative traits do seem to be extremely abundant. No matter how I play my Generals within 20 or so turns they all end up senile and deranged. Is this a result of play style do you think?

That's all I've got for now. I really appreciate everything that has gone in to this! Ridiculous replay value on a 15 year old game.

3.) The negative traits do seem to be extremely abundant. No matter how I play my Generals within 20 or so turns they all end up senile and deranged. Is this a result of play style do you think?
    Age. Certain traits can reduce the odds of acquiring these, as well as increasing age expectation of your generals, and some you have some degree of control over (hygiene), but overall, it is just age and luck.

why do normal pikemen have worse stats than pike militia?

Quote Originally Posted by george0433 View Post
    1.) Crowns. Say I'm playing as England and I've conquered all of the lands for the English crown and my FL gets coronated in London. In order to do this you pretty much have to eliminate the scots unless they take up a new home somewhere else, but I don't ever see them doing that since they don't race down the coast for Flanders anymore, but I digress. My question is, once I have the crown, will there be a chance for Scotland to then re-emerge in Edinburgh or Aberdeen AND for me to keep the crown? I'd really like to have the other factions around in at least one of their original settlements as a vassal and retain the crown as well.

2.) Crowns continued. OK so as England I own all of the British Isles and Western France and now have the crown of England. If I now push east and conquer the remaining lands for the French crown, will I be able to pick that up as well?
    ad. 2 - no, one crown is enough for a FL to get all related benefits (and pay the costs...)

ad. 1 - yes. The Scots can reemerge any time there're not on the map. Your FL will keep the crown for his life. The issue is the next FL. Within current coding there're two ways to get the crown:
    Code:
    ;------------------------------------------Trigger crown_england_Lands_Conquered
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition Trait Fit_Crown_england > 0
     and I_SettlementOwner London = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Lincoln = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Norwich = england 
     and I_SettlementOwner York = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Bristol = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Caernarvon = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Edinburgh = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Aberdeen = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Dublin = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Rennes = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Angers = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Rouen = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Poitiers = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Bordeaux = england
     and I_SettlementOwner Clermont = england

AcquireAncillary crown_england chance 100

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger crown_england_Legacy
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEndInSettlement

Condition Trait Fit_Crown_england > 0
     and Trait Crownholder > 2
     and Trait Crownholder < 4

AcquireAncillary crown_england chance 100
    the second condition depends on the FatherLegacy

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------- 1->3
    Trigger Fit_for_crown_Legacy
     WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd

Condition IsFactionLeader
        and FactionIsLocal
        and Trait Crownholder > 0
        and Trait Crownholder < 2
        and Trait FathersLegacy > 1
        and Trait Usurper < 1
        and Trait FactionRegent < 1
        and not FactionExcommunicated 

Affects Crownholder 2 Chance 100

;------------------------------------------- 1->2
    Trigger Fit_for_crown_Lands_Conquered

Condition IsFactionLeader
        and FactionIsLocal
        and Trait Crownholder > 0
        and Trait Crownholder < 2
        and Trait FitForOffice > 1
        and Trait Usurper < 1
        and Trait FactionRegent < 1
        and Attribute Piety > 5
        and Attribute Authority > 5
        and not FactionExcommunicated 

Affects Crownholder 1 Chance 100
    and
    Code:
    ;------------------------------------------- 0->1	Trigger Crown_england_Fit

Condition FactionIsLocal
    	and Trait Crownholder > 1
    	and Trait Crownholder < 4
    	and FactionType england
    	and EndedInSettlement
    	and SettlementName London
    	and SettlementBuildingExists >= cathedral
    	and not IsUnderSiege
        and GovernorLoyaltyLevel > loyalty_disillusioned
    	and Treasury > 20000
    	and IsFactionLeader

Affects Fit_Crown_england 1 Chance 100
    what means that FathersLegacy should be at least 2, and you get this if the father had a crown:
    Code:
    Trigger Dad_is_Crowned_King
     WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition FatherTrait Crownholder > 3

Affects FathersLegacy 2 Chance 100
    but beaware:
    Code:
    Trigger Faction_Excommunicated
     WhenToTest CharacterComesOfAge

Condition FatherTrait Excommunication > 0

Affects FathersLegacy -1 Chance 100
    ufff. I've almost forgotten the ins-and-outs of this mechanism I coded a year ago...
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; December 09, 2020 at 11:33 AM.

Is it intended that Mailed Knights for the HRE costs 0 ? (there's only upkeep on these units but no recruitment cost).

EDIT: I just checked the export_descr_unit file and it's indeed 0 (I guess for every nation then)

stat_cost 1, 0, 942, 120, 942, 942, 1, 170

Is it something related to the AI and I shoud leave it like this? Or Do I need to correct this? What would be the balanced price then?
    Last edited by Alzender; December 10, 2020 at 08:25 AM.