Thread: SSHIP - General Discussion

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

I think I've answered to a similar question already.

Cleomenes III's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think I've answered to a similar question already.
    I just don't get it. Why have custom textured units and include them in custom battles but not in the campaign? There's even two different units one with axes and the other with swords both with amazing textures.

Ego sum Attila flagellum Dei

Hungary gets Feudal Knights when everyone else does (at event HEAVY_MAIL_Armor), they also get even later on some other plate wearing knight (Banderium Knights).

I guess the idea is Hungary didn't use the "knight" style of combat until the time of feudal knights?

I wouldn't be surprised if the models etc are from SS or were updated before the unit was otherwise removed from campaign, sometimes there's things useable in custom battle which reflect vanilla and maybe aren't the most historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleomenes III View Post
    There's even two different units one with axes and the other with swords both with amazing textures.
    The uh "Sworded Mailed Foot Knights" and "Axed Mailed Foot Knights" if you mean those, are yeah linked to the Mailed Knight, but even if Hungary doesn't have mounted lance knights, they might have something like foot knights but I don't know about that.
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 28, 2017 at 09:22 AM.

I guess that sship team will improve the hungarian roster, so maybe MWY or Lifth could explain us if exist new roster for them for the new version., maybe should exist some light shock cavalry for poland and hungary as Jurand said...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Hellvard's Avatar Senator

Hey guys, can someone upload sship's campaign script? I'm too lazy to reinstall whole SS and SSHIP

Essential files included, I hope. If you'd meant this - I didn't get deeper than the main folder of the mod. I think it might be easier just to instal SSHIP and mess around yourself (and even play it, of course with my submods, as Poland is more historically treated there)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 29, 2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Pardon the intrusion, I wasn't sure if my post deserved it's own thread or not so here I go.

I am about at turn 50 with HRE, High/Late campaign Medium/Medium difficulty. I've captured Milan, Olomoc, Praha, Nizze as well as Utrecht from rebels and Loven from France. I have many alliances; Hungary, Bulgaria/Serbia(?), Byzantine Empire, Jerusalem, Georgia, Norway and Léon. I have trade deals with almost the entire map, except for some of the Islamic and Pagan nations. Traded map information with basically everyone.

Right now, I got seemingly randomly excommunicated and attacked by both Pisa and The Papal State. I expected to be at war with them sooner than later as HRE, no big deal. Here's what has me thinking. Ever since I started I've been steadily getting "Relations Worsened" with pretty much the entire continent of Europe, now that I got excommunicated and the Pope declared war on me, every relation suffered. What I don't quite understand is what's causing it. The Pope was indifferent towards me until I joined a Crusade with my Heir and reached the objective, then he was quite happy with me. I also converted a Hungarian region with loads and loads of priests and cardinals. I've captured cities from rebels and the one I got from France was when they were excommunicated themselves. I've only ever had people declare war on me, never declared myself on anyone except the Seljuks in Turkey, but never on a Catholic state. My reputation has also suffered, which might be a reason of the relations getting worse, but again, I don't know why. My reputation is all of the sudden "Very Untrustworthy" despite never breaking any deals, never breaking an alliance, never going to war with anyone that didn't attack me first, I haven't even trespassed except for the Crusading army that was in the captured region for 2 turns. I have ransomed prisoners multiple times and executed them once. It has been steadily declining since my start. Do Merchants lower reputation if they trade resources in nations with no trade agreements?

It's managable, I just feel like I am missing out on a part of the game where I can actually have some diplomacy going on. I don't know if I captured too much too fast or what, is it simply because the HRE are so big and powerful? Anyone know what's up with that?
    Last edited by DaReaperZ; August 29, 2017 at 09:22 AM.

Simply being in a war hits your rep. Doesn't matter how you got in it, that you can't get out of it, that it's not even a real war, just that an AI blockaded a port and then never did anything but reject peace offers. War -> less rep

If everyone gangs up on you, you're in a lot of wars -> a lot less rep

Code:
    Trigger 0098_Decrease_Global_Standing_When_War
        WhenToTest UpdateAttitude

Condition DiplomaticStanceFactions = AtWar
            and not TargetFactionType slave

FactionStanding global normalise -0.6 75
    Last edited by Alavaria; August 29, 2017 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks Jurand, but that's not what I wanted I need campaign_script from data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Last edited by Hellvard; August 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellvard View Post
    Thanks Jurand, but that's not what I wanted I need campaign_script from data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Simply being in a war hits your rep. Doesn't matter how you got in it, that you can't get out of it, that it's not even a real war, just that an AI blockaded a port and then never did anything but reject peace offers. War -> less rep

If everyone gangs up on you, you're in a lot of wars -> a lot less rep

Code:
    Trigger 0098_Decrease_Global_Standing_When_War
        WhenToTest UpdateAttitude

Condition DiplomaticStanceFactions = AtWar
            and not TargetFactionType slave

FactionStanding global normalise -0.6 75
    I see, so basically I shouldn't just passively be at war with a bunch of Pagans and Muslims in vain hopes of increasing relations with Christians. I also found another trigger that basically lowers relations and reputation once you get enough settlements. I think having an alliance with the pope is good so that he's less likely to backstab you and thus excommunicate you. Thanks for the info, I didn't actually know that. Might have to study the faction relations text file. What are the best ways to increase reputation besides letting prisoners go?

Quote Originally Posted by DaReaperZ View Post
    Might have to study the faction relations text file. What are the best ways to increase reputation besides letting prisoners go?
    If you study the files you may update my notes I made a few years ago for SS 6.4 (I believe they're quite different now in the SSHIP).

• There seems to be a big jump between Reliable and Trustworthy for how effective diplomacy is. With a good reputation allies will readily swap military access.
    • High reputation does many good things for you in this game.
    • Increase of reputation:
      • alliances (0,0025 per alliance per turn)
      • releasing prisoners (0,01), if more than 80 prisoners: (0,035), plus per general (0,025)
      • occupying settlements (0,05)
      • supporting allied or neutral forces in battle (0,10)

• Lowering reputation:
    • Normalisation on h/vh (0,005 per turn)
    • Selling / given a settlement and then taking it back (any time in future, even after 100 yers (-1,0)
    • Breaking deals:
      • Attacking an ally (-0,5)
      • Breaking of trade rights, military access (-0,15)
      • Breaking an alliance (-0,1) (even if it’s a decision of your ally not to wage the war against a faction which attacked you)

• war (-0,00125 per each faction per turn)
    • execution after battle, even if you offered prisoners to be ransomed, but the AI didn’t accept (-0,01), if more than 80 prisoner (-0,035) plus per general (0,025)
    • if you let them keep entering your territory a few times before retaliating and taking one of their territories, you are much less likely to take a reputation hit
    • if another faction has a BAD reputation, you can attack them freely without losing reputation (In fact you seem to gain reputation for attacking them, as long as you're at war with them and THEY started it). So let them attack you a few times before you retaliate, let their reputation fall and fall and then retaliate.
    • the higher your reputation goes, the bigger hit the enemy will take if they attack you
    • don't retaliate an attack, only break their forces in your territory
    • spies and assassins action don’t impact reputation.

Thats is pretty interesant Jurand, for thisa i said some time ago that someone of sship team should make a thread about ''instructions or guide'' about sship gameplay, the diplomacy and how affect is one of the features that should be including, same for differents role of factions, units, buildings, trade...updated of course and when they have free time
    Last edited by j.a.luna; August 29, 2017 at 01:38 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

If you study the files you may update my notes I made a few years ago for SS 6.4 (I believe they're quite different now in the SSHIP).

• There seems to be a big jump between Reliable and Trustworthy for how effective diplomacy is. With a good reputation allies will readily swap military access.
    • High reputation does many good things for you in this game.
      • releasing prisoners (0,01), if more than 80 prisoners: (0,035), plus per general (0,025)

• Lowering reputation:
    • Normalisation on h/vh (0,005 per turn)
    • Selling / given a settlement and then taking it back (any time in future, even after 100 yers (-1,0)
    • Breaking deals:
      • Attacking an ally (-0,5)
      • Breaking of trade rights, military access (-0,15)
      • Breaking an alliance (-0,1) (even if it’s a decision of your ally not to wage the war against a faction which attacked you)

• war (-0,00125 per each faction per turn)
    • execution after battle, even if you offered prisoners to be ransomed, but the AI didn’t accept (-0,01), if more than 80 prisoner (-0,035) plus per general (0,025)
    • if you let them keep entering your territory a few times before retaliating and taking one of their territories, you are much less likely to take a reputation hit
    • if another faction has a BAD reputation, you can attack them freely without losing reputation (In fact you seem to gain reputation for attacking them, as long as you're at war with them and THEY started it). So let them attack you a few times before you retaliate, let their reputation fall and fall and then retaliate.
    • the higher your reputation goes, the bigger hit the enemy will take if they attack you
    • don't retaliate an attack, only break their forces in your territory
    • spies and assassins action don’t impact reputation.
    Thank you Jurand I'll check it out, see if I can make sense of it!

In Great Seldjuk roster, the armoured horse archer (from vanilla's Khwarezm roster) is given a total armor value of 14. It appears too low for such and unit: fari and iqta'dar have 15 armor while being more mobile.

I suggest to give this unit an armor value like 17-22, much like monaspa HA or mamluk heavy HA, which belong to the same unit type, "cataphract archers".
    "They make a desert, and call it peace" - Caledonian chieftain Calgacos' personal opinion about Pax Romana

If I am reading this correctly, occupying any settlement causes a significant reputation loss from descr_faction_standing:

Trigger 0103_occupy_settlement_increase_global
    WhenToTest OccupySettlement

FactionStanding global -0.15
    FactionStanding target_faction normalise -1.0 6
    FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -0.6 45

It says' increase_global, but the value is negative.

How do I know if something is per turn, or just a one time deal?

Edit: Nevermind, it's called FactionTurnStart. Starting to get some more of this, and apparently occupying even rebel settlements lowers reputation, but not as much(?)
    Last edited by DaReaperZ; August 29, 2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaReaperZ View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, occupying any settlement causes a significant reputation loss from descr_faction_standing:

Trigger 0103_occupy_settlement_increase_global
    WhenToTest OccupySettlement

FactionStanding global -0.15
    FactionStanding target_faction normalise -1.0 6
    FactionStanding exclude_factions { slave } normalise -0.6 45

It says' increase_global, but the value is negative.

How do I know if something is per turn, or just a one time deal?

Edit: Nevermind, it's called FactionTurnStart. Starting to get some more of this, and apparently occupying even rebel settlements lowers reputation, but not as much(?)
    You are reading it correctly. Occupying a settlement causes a reputation loss. I was complaining about this sometime ago.

To clarify, ANY military action that you initiate, against any faction -including rebels- and whether you are in your lands(defending) or not will cause a reputation hit. This is unfair and unrealistic.
    The only way to maintain an OK reputation in SSHIP is to play extremely passive and slow, so that the inevitable reputation loss that you will incur from military conflicts is offset by the small gains you get from releasing enemies, building religious buildings and having allies.

If you want to know exactly how to gain a good global standing search descr_faction_standing for "global" and see which lines have a positive integer. From memory, I think only those things I mention increase it but I might be wrong.

If you care about reputation at all I recommend you to modify the file to your tastes, or use the descr_faction_standing from another mod because playing with the default one you will find that maintaining a good rep is nearly impossible.

The last two points, which I highlighted, do not increase your rep in SSHIP but instead lower it. The numbers might or might not be accurate. Most likely they're not; I remember SSHIP's descr_faction_standing having very different numbers last time I looked at it.

Another interesting point is that offering military assistance against a faction through diplomacy and then delivering on your promise will increase the reputation of the faction to which you offered the help, not your reputation. Similarly, if you request military assistance, if the AI helps you it is your reputation that will increase, not theirs.

This is a bug present in vanilla and all mods I've played and I haven't found a way to fix it. It is probable that the triggers are reversed, causing this behavior.