Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion, Feedback, Suggestions & FAQ

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default General Discussion, Feedback, Suggestions & FAQ

This thread is to be used for general discussion of the mod, feedback on the most recent version of the mod, suggestions for the team, and for any questions you may have.

Feedback
    Please post feedback here on stuff that you have noticed. Here are a few broad categories to guide you.
    • The unit models (only if there are glaring issues. We've spent too long on the models, and really need to move onto other factions)
    • How the UI looks and feels to you
    • Whether there are any bugs or low quality textures with the UI that need to be addressed
    • How the battle balancing feels to you
    • Whether any units are overpowered or underpowered
    • Whether any units need slight buffs or nerfing to their stats
    • The unit descriptions
    • Anything else you may wish to contribute

Frequently Asked Questions
    (1)Question: When will the mod be released?

Answer:
    This mod arrives precisely when it means to!
    Yet still, there is a mysterious riddle on the forums that may serve as a prophecy. Answers lie in it though no one has found any so far.

(2)Question: Where will the mod be released, and will we have to pay for it?

Answer: The mod will be released on ModDB and TWCenter. It is unlikely we will release it on Steam, as the file size will be too big, however we may release one part of the mod with the rest as an external download.
    This mod is a free project. You don’t have to pay for it, and we aren’t paid for our work.

(3)Question: Can I donate anywhere for this mod?

Answer: We cannot accept any donations for the mod for it is not legally allowed. We appreciate though comments and feedback on our previews and will take into account feedback, as well as take compliments to heart.

(4)Question: How much progress has been made on the mod?

Answer: Overall Rise of Mordor is more than 10% completed so far. Our team has completed 2 out of 19 factions. We have also done a lot of 2D art, text, database, music and made progress in other areas as well.

(5)Question: What is the team focusing on now there has been a closed alpha release?

Answer: Since Gondor and Dale are done we are now going to focus on Mordor, Rohan and Isengard units. Besides units, we also plan to start battlefield and settlement modding (that includes siege battles and land battles), Gondor settlement development has already made an exceptionally promised start. For the first time ever in Total War modding history, custom wall animations have been made!
    Alongside these two main goals we will also work on other factions; creatures such as trolls, wargs and műmakil all with custom animations; and a lot more 2D unit concepts and amazing custom combat animations. Lastly, since new races are being introduced the battle balancing will be extended to differentiate in various aspects between different races. Those aspects concern, for instance, unit size and morale. Lastly, the balancing system is continuously finetuned.

(6)Question: Will there be a campaign?

Answer: The campaign development has been put on hold temporarily however it has not been written off, and is still in the plans for the future.

(7)Question: Will the mod move to Total War: Warhammer?

Answer: There is no chance at all that the mod will move to Warhammer due to the rules regarding what types of mods are allowed. In addition, even if we wanted to make the mod on Warhammer there's just so much stuff we can't mod that it becomes impossible.

(8)Question: What about Mount and Blade Bannerlord, or the next Total War game?

Answer: The chance of us moving to Bannerlord or any other game is very small, and is pretty much not going to happen.

(9)Question: What cannot be modded in Total War Attila?

Answer: Campaign-related things such as the shape of the campaign map itself and video files (plus some hardcoded engine features).

(10)Question:What about music in-game?

Answer: We have information that music modding is possible for Total War Attila and we have all reasons to trust it. However it will take hours of testing to get an idea of what exactly we are able to edit.

(11)Question: How many factions will the mod have?

Answer: 19 factions are planned for release 1.0. This may change in the future however.
    The Factions in Total War: Rise of Mordor

(12)Question: How about factions like the Variags and Dorwinion. They used to be on the list. How are they represented now?

Answer: Dorwinion is represented by three units in the Dale roster. Umbar will also have a couple of units present in the Haradrim roster. The Variags, Wainriders and Balchoth are unified in a very extended Easterlings roster that also includes the famous bronzly-armoured units from the films. The Orocarni Dwarves will be represented in Erebor's roster in a similar fashion as Dorwinion.

(13)Question: What are the plans for Arnor?

Answer: Arnor is planned to have two slightly smaller rosters, one representing the lost realm as it was during the War of the Ring (which includes rangers) and one representing its reunited form under King Elessar. The latter contains the iconic units from the prologue. However, we have found the lost realm roster to be so small and insignificant, we decided to put it on hold to be covered in a release that also contains a campaign of some sort. The lost realm in a campaign release will be a horde faction. For now, we will include the iconic reunited roster for battle release for that roster is more suitable to custom battle play. The rangers however are not put on hold with the lost realm roster. They shall be present in Imladris' roster (not in the reunited roster) as so permitted by logic and lore.

(14)Question: Will custom beasts such as trolls be included?

Answer: Yes, with custom models and animations.

(15)Question: Will dwarven factions be able to recruit so called "goat cavalry"?

Answer: No. Dwarves will have to rely on Dale mercenaries.

(16)Question: Is the team looking for testers?

Answer: At the moment not really, but in the future we will.

(17)Question: What positions can I apply for? How can I help the team?

Answer: The positions and requirements for them are detailed here. Basically they are 3D Character Artists, 3D Building/Environment Artists and Character Animators. You can also help out the team by contacting 3D Artists or Animators you know, who meet the level of quality expected, and informing them about the mod in case they'd like to apply to join the team.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; December 15, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

Default [Discussion] Suggestions / Ideas

First off I am so happy to see a mod based on the movies and books both for Rome 2 awesome. Thank all you guys for a "third age" for Rome 2, I wish you all the luck.

Some suggestions

1] Please have the battles be epic to match the feel and lore of middle earth. Third age did a great job of this with medeivel 2, they slowed down the battles into grind it out large strategic hard fought epic battles. Rome 2 vanilla is imo the opposite of epic, fast paced retreat hardly any fighting in it.

2] balancing hero units

ents as example.
    Not sure who is in charge but... I hate when games such as i mentioned above with ea games and battle for middle earth the original ents before any patches were pretty good, there natural armor great to anything but fire, they were very powerful and could easily take down gates and stone walls with punches. By the time battle for middle earth 2 came out [and patches middle earth 1] they were nothing but a artillery unit [took normal damage etc]because of balancing. To me that ruined the game, it was no longer a lotr game but a rts game in a lotr shell. I would hate for this mod that has so much potential, to lose the reason we play, lotr lore, because of balancing. I think third age did a great job representing the ents, yet they did not make a big impact on war because they were so rare to get. Why instead of making them something they are not [less effective units in game] make them harder to build, take longer,have less of them etc? also they do have one big weakness, fire and actually axes to a lesser extent.

To me this should apply 100% to all units, if they are too powerful, trolls,ents,balrog,mumakil,leaders etc please balance in a way that does not take from the lore and power of the unit. To me it was clear Tolkien wanted these creatures and leaders galadrial,gandalf, many other leaders , to be a cut above the rest almost epic, stuff of stories. Just my opnion and i shall shut up know.

3] Include places of power.

Places of power/wonders of the world rome 2

having certain territories give some kind of bonus, maybe for gondor its owning the pillars of kings, if they own it than it makes them happy if it is taken away they begin to fear etc. Places of power I guess is what i am saying, similar to the wonders of the world in rome 2. If a certain faction owns the territory of object, than it gives bonuses. Especially if the place is ancient. Capturing those places could give bonuses. The bonus could effect the whole faction, or just the single territory/object.I was also thinking maybe, if not bonuses, I think maybe they should at least cause a popup and maybe short history of the object/place of power.
    places of power ideas-not all factions need one, but a half dozen to a dozen would add to the mod imo.
    gondor argonath/ pillars of kings
    Rohan-Golden hall of Meduseld/ or helms deep/ horn of helm hammerhand
    Elves- of lothlorien- Mallorn trees or Caras Galadhon maybe even nenya
    Isengard-orthanc/palantiri.
    Dwarves-
    Arkenstone

4] Isengard/crebain
    I think isengard would be very interesting if they had both a plantiri and crebain, two separate ways to scout. One way they could be used is on campaign map, simply they act like a spy, Yet appear like flying birds. Rome 2 has birds/eagels flying around on campaign map so I would think it could be done.

5]Suggestions to increase immersion of middle earth.

I think the more immersion to the game the better, i think a lotr mod should not just be re-skinned gondor and mordor units and the like, rome 2 in a lotr skin. but should try to do its best at bringing middle earth to life. I think as much as possible you guys should try to bring in the history and lore of middle earth. I think this can be done with intros to factions, but in game especially, i think popups can do a great job of this. So while the player is playing they are also learning about middle earth places,events, etc I think the more popups the better. Find any excuse to fit info into the game. When I first played medieval 1 total war, I was both learning history of the time period and playing the game, it made it my all time favorite game, I was so immersed in the game i felt like i was there, that should be a goal of this mod and popups and history are one great way of doing that.

6] Include huorons, i see them as not as strong as a ent, more equal to a troll maybe. If i remember right they were pretty much trees in appearance. Would be nice addition to units.

7] include the army of the dead as a recrutabel unit. Maybe a one off recruit for gondor, can only be used in one battle, or maybe even a time limit in the one battle.

8] include warning beacons of gondor[http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Warning_beacons_of_Gondor] I think would make for a great "wonder" or even better, to be functional somehow in game. To be used in diplomacy as call for aid, to alert to danger etc. I would also add to the lore just seeing them on campaign map even if not a wonder or functional.

9] distinction
    I think a key to middle earth lore and part of what makes it great is distinction between factions. The way they fight,look and act. For example rohan should be red,orange,yellow [gondor black/brown] bearded guys with horse design all over flags/armor etc. Tolkien was accused of being racist because he wanted his cultures so distinct in the way they were. I think the more you can find ways to add make and create distinction in gameplay,fighting formations, look and any other way, the better the mod.

questions

Will The mirror of galadriel and the palantiri be in the game?

if mordor gets the ring can they recruit sauron?

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Default Re: Suggestions/Questions

You have some great proposals! Thanks for it and we'll fall back to it if we're working on things like this.

Right now we havn't thought about special artifacts like the Palantir. This will be discussed when it is time for it.
    I consider we'll make a unit of Sauron. But when and where it is playable we'll discuss in it's time, too.
    ------------- under the patronage of wangrin --------------

~~~~~~~ Total War: Rise of Mordor at ModDB ~~~~~~~

Clenvey's Avatar Foederatus

I think I saw this post somewhere be before .
    It is hard find a way to be lore-accurate and focus on gameplay and a good experience. (Ents are passive in ME)
    A good question is, how to be lore-accurate with the elves. They are immortal and a have only a few births. A possible solution is, that you have all your units recruited at the beginning of the Campaign and have no possibility to recruit new ones except to retrain/ "upgrade" your existing ones. So they can be very strong and the game will be more difficult the longer the campaign is. So you need to focus in mercenaries? I would like to play it, because it would be completely new way to play a faction. The Problem would be that you can't change your unit-type (archer to infantry). A way to solve it, is to create only few "master"-units (archer-cavalry=cavalry=archer=infantry (like in LoTR the 2 towers)/ heavy infantry) so they are good in everything and you must decide, how to use them in the battle. But could be boring to play. Maybe there is another solution to solve this problem (limited amount of recruitment).

I think the army of deaths won't get it into the mod, because it is to hard to create them only to have a imbalanced instant kill unit. Remember: They fought and fight only one time (see lore-accurate). This could be solved with a script for the campaign.

And Isengards crebains: the elves and dwarves have their birds too. Then it could be too much, but a good idea.

To the Arkenstone: watch the last hobbit -movie or read the book. Then you know, how the story will end for the. Arkenstone .
    Then should Minas Morgul (Ithil) have a bonus for Gondor, too.

But all in all: Great suggestions. Now is a good time for brainstorming.

Sorry,
    I can't correct all my mistakes, because of my low amount of posts. Don't take it too serious .

since it is based on the movies,will characters like tom bombadil and old man willow be in in some manner?.

will the "other" rings be in the game in some way such as galadriel's nenya

Hm, Tom Bombadil is a very mystic person. The same with Man Willow. Maybe we'll add an event with an effect -> for example: "Tom Bombadil was seen in the Shire". I don't know if we'll make unique characters of them.
    For Nenya the same, maybe an event in the campaign or something like this.

in third age mod, Nenya was controlled by a general or ruler of lothloiren, it acted and gave bonuses like traits, any possibility of something like that?. I think it gave happiness bonus, repair damage bonus, made the holder [galadriel] have stronger effect and fear on enemies etc

My suggestion:

1-Basically make things like in Third Age: MOS submod. Seriously, the scripts of this mod are incredible. For me, the best thing is to restore Arnor playing as Eriador, giving the campaing a little RPG-like gameplay with Aragorn.

2-About the Army of the Dead, I think they should have a battle limit (they disappear after a numer of battles), otherwise the game gets unbalanced. No recruitment, quest reward only.

3-Allow to restore factions (Good or Evil depending on who are you playing with) once you take a city which belonged to them.

4-Tol Arnachs for Good, and Invasions for Evil.

5-The Culture management was very good in TA:TW, and with the culture system in Rome 2 it becomes a main element for player to take care of.

6-"The Ring has been found" script. You can get it by defeating the army which carries it or taking the city. The The Council makes you take it to them.

7-ENTS!

I LOVE to see this mod coming to life. It is was I was waiting for since the release of R2. I think using the films as reference for units and cities is great because improve immersion a lot! Keep up the good work!

Wintercross's Avatar Libertus

If the Army of the Dead was made as an actual unit or units, what about giving them constant attrition? That way in a few turns they would all be gone. (you could also make them have insanely high armor, defence skill and HP's so they are virtually invulnerable on the battlefield...)

Quote Originally Posted by Wintercross View Post
    If the Army of the Dead was made as an actual unit or units, what about giving them constant attrition? That way in a few turns they would all be gone. (you could also make them have insanely high armor, defence skill and HP's so they are virtually invulnerable on the battlefield...)
    That's true, but imagine the amount of work to create 4 units, which you can only use one (maybe two) times in the whole campaign and never in the Skirmish-Mode, because they are immortal.

In this time you can create 4 soldiers or two ships, which you can use the entire campaign and in custom battles.

Maybe they will be in the Mod, but they have for now and for the next time no priority.

Wintercross's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Clenvey View Post
    That's true, but imagine the amount of work to create 4 units, which you can only use one (maybe two) times in the whole campaign and never in the Skirmish-Mode, because they are immortal.

In this time you can create 4 soldiers or two ships, which you can use the entire campaign and in custom battles.

Maybe they will be in the Mod, but they have for now and for the next time no priority.
    It might just be better to make it an ancillary/household item that demoralises the enemy rather than a unit I suppose

Default Re: Suggestions / Questions

Army of the dead!

will beorn be in the game in some way?. I was thinking maybe as a hired mercenary you could persuade to come to fight for your cause. It would also be cool if his unit was horses and dogs fighting in his unit, assuming he would be a one unit general.

will the eagles be in? can you import them from other mods in any way? flying units like eagles?.
    Last edited by total relism; June 22, 2014 at 07:21 AM.

I was thinking with old man willow and tom bombadil , instead of units, maybe they could just be on campaign map. So in old Forrest it has a spot titled old man willow and toms area.

Especially for Old Man Willow this is an interesting suggestion. Maybe we could integrate him on battlemaps, too, if there's a fight next to the spot.

thought of another idea for beorn. He could be the faction leader of a city/state that is controlled by the ai, his unit is him, horses and dogs. But there are also a few other units of shape shifting [either large people or bears] beornings, they are neutral faction that is closer to alliances with the "Good" nations and can be convinced to be client or allied state.

Default Re: [Discussion] Suggestions / Questions

Should you need someone to translate your mod from english to french, i'm your man. Btw, i have no experience at all in modding, but if you want to learn some simple things, maybe i can help

As Orphet said, I offer myself to translate from English to Spanish. If you need me please count on me, I'll be glad to help on this mod.

This is great! Please visit this site and write me a PM so I can fully integrate you.

Page 1 of 45 123456789101126 ... LastLast