Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Economy, Events, Scripts & Other Features

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Preview] SSHIP - Economy, Events, Scripts & Other Features

That's the key with small factions in SSHIP actually. You need to "turtle" for a while, building your economy and making alliances. Soon or later, you'll get an opportunity to expand. That's almost impossible in SSHIP to blitzkrieg through the whole map (Alavaria is the only one, as far as I know, who managed that).
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    That's the key with small factions in SSHIP actually. You need to "turtle" for a while, building your economy and making alliances. Soon or later, you'll get an opportunity to expand. That's almost impossible in SSHIP to blitzkrieg through the whole map (Alavaria is the only one, as far as I know, who managed that).
    Maybe with mongols is possible to expand and destroy the world in high campaign so fast(blitzkrieg) hehe but i prefer play with little factions as norway and bit a bit improve it, also i like the axe roster for norway and how their feared huskarls fight in europe or england and sack settlements(old viking style)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

I'm not the blitzkrieg gamer, I do like to build a strong economy first, improve my cities to get stronger units and then strike, the only problem here is we're definitely going too slow. That's what I'm saying.

Since historical accuracy is the aim of this mod, growth rates are influenced by historical growth of the settlements. I understand that it sucks not being able to build anything anymore, and I'm currently trying to work on that.

Marble Emperor's Avatar Tiro

Honestly, I think that the settlement growth is fine, I find that especially for cities, large cities and even huge cities, the growth rate is perhaps too high if anything because it makes it incredibly difficult to maintain the public order without a good general and a half stack of troops.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

On the issue of the settlement growth, we've had a long discussion with Alavaria and Gigantus. Here are the conclusions, I hope they'd assist the fellow players to get their bearings.

The factors of settlements' growth
    - base agriculture (province) 1 is 0.5%, values are usually between 1 and 5, but sometimes go much higher (values are visible on the settlement scroll)
    - farms (building) 1 is 0,5% while the values for the consecutive levels of farms are: 1, 2, 3, 8, 12 (values are not given in the buildings' descriptions but they are visible on the settlement scroll when a building is present)
    - Health (building) 1 is 0.4% in cities, 0.5% in castles (has also benevolent impact on the occurrence of the plagues).
    - Growth (building) 0.5% is 0.5%
    - Happiness (building) 1 is 0.25%
    - Law (building/general) has no impact
    - LocalPopularity (general) has no impact
    - Chivalry (general) 1 is 0.75% in cities, 0.5% in castles (but it's capped at 5% max)
    - Squalor (province, general) 1 is -0.5% in cities, -0.375% in castles
    - Trade (province, building): in general, one may expect a bonus 0.5-1% for smaller settlements, around 2% for the larger, while extreme seen is 3%. (Despite many attempts, it's difficult to learn the precise mechanics. The established factors are: the number of traded resources in the province multiplied (somehow) by road levels, trade, and sea trade buildings. It's doubtful if any resource (ie grain) is better than any other. EDIT vev. 098: not anymore: this source has been disabled - instead the trade buildings will have explicit +growth bonuses).
    - taxes (set in a province) every level is 0.5% difference, with Normal being neutral (obviously, you cannot change taxes in the Castles).
    - plagues (occur in a province) twice as big effects in a city than in a castle (occur occasionally in the cities with big populations, little health, neighboring provinces that have plagues, visited by infected characters or armies).

province - a feature of a province (or set by the player, or occur due to developments in the game)
    building - a feature of a building (you may see it in the descriptions, and obviously you need to build this building)
    generals - traits/ancillaries of general (you may see it in the general's scroll, must be acquired somehow)

There're some roundings on the way so the actual values may slightly differ.

The negative factor (squalor) produces the following thresholds to get to a higher level:
    07% City
    15% Large City
    35% Huge City

The differences between factions stem from:
    - different buildings which are possible to be built by the faction;
    - different traits and ancillaries possible to be gained;
    - different starting positions (province base agriculture, number of resources, etc.).
    All of it makes for some factions harder to get to big settlements, and some easier.

Pro memoria:

Population thresholds to get to a higher level of a city:
    Village: 500+
    Town: 2.000+
    Large Town: 7.000+
    Minor City: 15.000+
    Large City: 35.000+
    Metropolis: 80.000+

Population thresholds to get to a higher level of a castle:
    Motte and Bailey 1.000+
    Wooden Castle 1.500+
    Castle 5.500+
    Fortress 12.500+
    Citadel 30.000+

The thresholds for 092:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Population thresholds to get to a higher level of a city:
    Town: 2000+
    Large Town: 5.750+
    Minor City: 12.500+
    Large City: 32.000+
    Metropolis: 80.000+

Population thresholds to get to a higher level of a castle:
    Motte and Bailey 1.000+
    Wooden Castle 2.000+
    Castle 5.000+
    Fortress 12.000+
    Citadel 30.000+

A nice example of trade boosting population growth:
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 12, 2022 at 12:39 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Default Re: [Preview] Economy, Events, Scripts & Other Features

Would it be possible to get a building/settlement guide?
    Just small things:

What's the difference between a church and a monastery? Is there a difference between Priests recruited with one or the other? Should I have both in the same settlement? Should one or both be in every settlement?

I'm running into the same problem with schools and libraries, trade, sea trade and banks, and logging and stonemasons.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flaker View Post
    Would it be possible to get a building/settlement guide?
    Just small things:

What's the difference between a church and a monastery? Is there a difference between Priests recruited with one or the other? Should I have both in the same settlement? Should one or both be in every settlement?

I'm running into the same problem with schools and libraries, trade, sea trade and banks, and logging and stonemasons.
    Well usually Monasteries offer you health bonuses and religious conversion rate , they can only be built after u have a higher level church already.
    stonemasons and logging unlock other big buildings, you need them first if you want to make higher levels of buildings like ports and markets.
    schools/libraries can teach your governors good traits, the better the building, the better the bonuses.
    banks increase your overall trade but at the cost of happines
    trade and sea trade are the value of money you get, you can watch settlement trade info panel ingame and you will see how you make most money. If you make more money on sea rather than on land, improve your ports. Trading Fleets from ports are basically what they say, your port can trade with more ports at the same time (you can see green lines from where ur port trades) , the more the better obviously.
    Priests will usually start with better piety depending which building you have built. A cathedral priest will have much more piety than a church priest for example. Monasteries dont have any effect as far as i know on priests.

srx's Avatar Laetus

ok. i have read this thread, and i was looking for advice, but didnt found it(grow)

so-im playing with serbia, (very hard) and i have taken out hungary (luck)(turn 61). capital left, but HRE made them vasals.
    im a bit mad coz i had them cornerd... but no matter...

ok so, in every total war game i played, i camp some turns to get lots of coins to make one ultra attack.
    i dissbanded unusefull troops, finish all build in citis(till turn 80 and 2 or 3) then i notice ragusa(my capital) didnt grow as much as i wanted.

good general, low tax rate.

turn 99!!! 11 660 population 0% grow.

in the time i was rolling turns, viena got rebeld and i take it.

but my question is, now at 107 turn i have generals still alive. but if he dies im gona go in minus.
    i understand your wish to make game realistic. but did you think about its just a game and if you are wining faction, you deserve some bonuses? like in growth perhapse?

and one more thing-why are mercenery crosbows cheeper to upkeep when they are much better then rest of archers?

and YES love this map and factions and all of details specialy for serbian faction!
    you just blow me up with names of charecters (im serb )

can you do something about grow?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Not all settlements can reach the highest level of development. This is made to reflect what happened in history. For example, you can not make Ragusa reaching the same level as Paris or Constantinople.

Regarding the names, feel free to suggest a list
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 07, 2019 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by srx View Post
    good general, low tax rate.

in the time i was rolling turns, viena got rebeld and i take it.

but my question is, now at 107 turn i have generals still alive. but if he dies im gona go in minus.
    i understand your wish to make game realistic. but did you think about its just a game and if you are wining faction, you deserve some bonuses? like in growth perhapse?
    Your general needs to learn more to become a Doctor Philosophiae (see here) or just to have more fun at the tourneys (see here).

Quote Originally Posted by srx View Post
    can you do something about grow?
    These pics shows how to make the settlements grow when you're next to the threshold:

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 27, 2021 at 02:08 PM.

The power of trade:

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoule View Post
    Could someone explain me how trade is actually calculated? How does it go from +3000 in the "trade details" (with several hundreds for each settlement the region is trading with, and even +1000 with one of them) window to +1000 in the "settlement details" one? I just don't get where do those extra 2000 florins go.

BTW, in order not to send another post: you might want to revisit conversion quests. At the rate the settlements are converted (which with I'm happy), and with the scarce amount of priests you can recruit (particularly early on), I think those quests are virtually impossible to complete. To ask for more than 10% conversion in 15 turns at that stage in the game is just not fair. Even a 5% conversion seems already really hard. The worst part is that you can usually have just one of these kind of quests active, so you're damned from the beginning of that quest to not only fail it, but to not receive a new one until all of those turns have passed, and the quest fails.
    Settlement details provide the right number, the trade panel just shows which goods are traded. In my experience there's usually a 25% discrepancy, not 66%.
    Trade is automatically counted by the game engine, see details below.
    Missions are now in the hands of Macaras, it's interesting info for him, I think.

My notes on trade:
    Land Trade

• Trade worth between settlements is based on
      • size of the settlements in terms of populations;
      • worth of goods traded;
      • level of the roads;
      • bonuses from buildings (defined in EDB, calculated on-top of the base value, ie after taking into account the populations and worth of trade goods.

• Trade value of a good is governed by:
    • the base price in descr_sm_resources,
    • the multiplier in descr_settlement_mechanics
    • the distance of the first instance of that resource from the capital
    • trade agreements have a significant effect
    • provinces don't trade the same good (eg. if both produce wheat, then no trade).
    • A province conducts trade with all provinces it borders with (even if there’s no road, or road is even not possible to be produced, i.e. there’s an impassable terrain) if there’s at least 1 resource produced in one settlement but not produced in the other.

Sea Trade

- if a settlement has a port, it can trade by sea with other settlements that also have a port
    - no sea-trade with adjacent provinces (they do land-trade)
    - at least one different resource has to be different both provinces; the more different resources qualify for export/import to/from a given province, the more lucrative sea trade with that province will be
    - even your basic port can receive sea-trade from several other ports – it will happen if your province is their most lucrative choice
    - 1 trade fleet allows 1 export connection to another port which is chosen based on the profitability of this connection, that depends on:
    o the population of the two cities
    o the value of the goods (each type of good has a certain value – eg. textiles are more worth than timber),
    o the diversity of goods (how many different types goods there’re, eg. timber, fish, grain, marble, metals, etc.),
    o the number of goods (a province may produce more than 1 good of the same type).
    - Exports make much more than imports by a calculation based as factor of population sizes of the cities doing the trade, the level of the trade infrastructure and the value of the good. Imports make about 10-30% of the export factor based on the combination of the population of the importing and exporting cities with the added value of the trade infrastructure multipliers added to that base value

Bottom line: profitability of trade:

• sea trade routes are the single most lucrative connections;
    • however, land trade bonuses are overall higher since
      • (1) almost all trade infrastructure benefit land trade
      • (2) there are more land trade connections

• what follows, regions with numerous land connections still generate much more trade since sea trade is capped at 3 fleets (highest level of port);
    • however I may happen that a region has few neighboring regions and may share the same resources with them (for sea trade there’re more options).

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    A nice example of trade boosting population growth:
    After playthoughs and counting of growth in the game, this effect has been nullified:

So from the next version, trade will not influence population growth? why have you made this change? Was there a lot of difference or unevenness in the game?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    So from the next version, trade will not influence population growth? why have you made this change? Was there a lot of difference or unevenness in the game?
    Yes, the trade as such will have not impact on population growth. This is because towns / large towns were growing very - and unhistorically - fast, even without any investment.

Is there a way to turn off the missing funds event? I like Hoarding money in peace so I can recruit big armies in war (it's not the way you're meant to play, i know)

Quote Originally Posted by jfelipe123456 View Post
    Is there a way to turn off the missing funds event? I like Hoarding money in peace so I can recruit big armies in war (it's not the way you're meant to play, i know)
    You'd need to edit the campaign_script.txt. Change here the console command values to eg 1. Don't delete the whole script as it's used elsewhere.
    Not save-compatible, you need to start a new campaign.
    Code:
        ;======================================================================================================
        ;------- Player's treasury size counter & anti-hoarding mechanism
        ;
        ; It's used in the Great Fires scripts (SSHIP 098) & other mechanisms.

;------- Hoarding wealth not possible in the Middle Ages
        ; Historical reason: there were no financial instruments in the MA, just coffers.
        ; The ruler couldn't hoard too much money, and if he does, there's a huge risk of it being stolen by the most trusted servants.
        ; Gameplay reason: to prevent behaviour of the player: amass big wealth and only the start playing.
        ; a crude stop-gap solution, might be done in a more sophisticated way

; Possible modding in the future:
        ; - make the termination of the

set_event_counter player_treasury 0

monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
            and Treasury > 200000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 200k treasury (50%)

console_command add_money -100000
            historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_HUGE_TREASURY                ; info for the player so that he's aware
            set_event_counter player_treasury 53

end_monitor

and Treasury > 100000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 100k treasury (30%)

console_command add_money -30000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 53                            ; so that no more than 1 info a turn appears on the screen (needed becaus the monitors are consequtive)
                historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_HUGE_TREASURY
            end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 52

end_monitor

and Treasury > 50000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 50k treasury (20%)

if I_EventCounter MONEY_MEDICI_FAMILY > 0
            and I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for SE after Medici Family
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

if I_EventCounter MONEY_FUGGER_FAMILY > 0
            and I_EventCounter faction_turn_northern_european > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for NE after Fugger Family
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

console_command add_money -10000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 52
                historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_LARGE_TREASURY
            end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 51

end_monitor

and Treasury > 20000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 20k treasury (20%)

if I_EventCounter MONEY_BARDI_BANK > 0
            and I_EventCounter faction_turn_catholic > 0

log ------ terminate monitor for catholic after bardi
                terminate_monitor
            end_if

console_command add_money -2000

if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 51
                historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_SIGNIFICANT_TREASURY
            end_if

set_event_counter player_treasury 21

end_monitor

and Treasury > 14999
            and Treasury < 20000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 20
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 11999
            and Treasury < 15000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 15
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 9999
            and Treasury < 12000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 12
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 7999
            and Treasury < 10000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 10
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 5999
            and Treasury < 8000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 8
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 4999
            and Treasury < 6000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 6
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 3999
            and Treasury < 5000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 5
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 2999
            and Treasury < 4000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 4
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 1999
            and Treasury < 3000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 3
        end_monitor

and Treasury > 999
            and Treasury < 2000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 2
        end_monitor

and Treasury > -1
            and Treasury < 1000
            set_event_counter player_treasury 1
        end_monitor

and Treasury < 0
        end_monitor

; needed a new value in player_treasury to account for -500 for mercenary disband script --- Belo
        and Treasury < -500
            set_event_counter player_treasury -1
        end_monitor

Actually, your question made me review the script. No bugs found, seems to work well. Some revamp made for the next version:

Code:
    	;======================================================================================================	;------- Player's treasury size counter & anti-hoarding mechanism

; Anti-hoarding mechanism --------------
    	; Historical reasoning:
    	; - Hoarding wealth not possible in the Middle Ages: there were no financial instruments in the MA, just coffers of coins in castles.
    	; - The ruler couldn't hoard too much money this way. If he did, there's always been a huge risk that even the most trusted servants would steal a part.
    	; Gameplay reason:
    	; - one of the exploits of the engine by the player is to wait, let the AI fight other factions, amass big wealth and theny suddenly sweep the neighbours.
    	; - it's been seen in many gameplays that the players indeed collect large chests, removing the main parameter of the game and taking away part of the pleasure of gaming.
    	; So we have a simple solution but it works:
    	; - take away parts of the treasury, the share increases with the size of the surplus.
    	; - introduce some historical events easing this effect when historical (ie: mainly for the catholics).
    	; - it also means that at the beginning of the game it's more difficult to be a large faction (eg. to gather funds for projects in large cities costing 20k+)
    	; Coding remarks:
    	; - It's not possible to use fewer monitors as "Treasury" condition is not to be used in the if-clauses.
    	; - Counters used in the Great Fires scripts, debt & other mechanisms.
    	; - warning: with the current coding some monitors can be "terminated" - this means that there'll be no counters for 40 or 60.
    	; Further modding:
    	; - events for Scandinavian factions may be introduced, as they're for HU and PL. Maybe for Serbia as well.
    	; - 

; (200000)
    		and Treasury > 200000
    			log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 200k treasury (up to 50%)
    			console_command add_money -100000
    	end_monitor

; (100000)
    		and Treasury > 100000
    			log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 100k treasury (15-30%)
    			console_command add_money -30000
    	end_monitor

; ( 60000)
    		and Treasury > 60000
    			log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 60k treasury (15-25%)
    			console_command add_money -15000
    			historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_HUGE_TREASURY
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 60
    	end_monitor

; ( 40000)
    		and Treasury > 40000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 40k treasury (13-20%)
    			console_command add_money -8000
    			if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 60						; so that no more than 1 info a turn appears on the screen (needed because the monitors are consequtive)
    				historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_LARGE_TREASURY
    				set_event_counter player_treasury 40
    			end_if

if I_EventCounter MONEY_MEDICI_FAMILY > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_southern_european > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for SE after Medici Family
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if
    			if I_EventCounter MONEY_FUGGER_FAMILY > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_northern_european > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for NE after Fugger Family
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if

end_monitor

; ( 20000)
    		and Treasury > 20000

log --- economy script anti-hoarding script for keeping over 20k treasury (5-10%)
    			console_command add_money -2000
    			if I_EventCounter player_treasury < 40
    				historic_event MONEY_LOSS_FOR_KEEPING_SIGNIFICANT_TREASURY
    			end_if
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 21

if I_EventCounter BYZANTIUM21_ADELPHOPOIESIS > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_byzantium > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for Byzantium after Adelphopoiesis event
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if
    			if I_EventCounter MONEY_FIRST_FLORIN > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_pisa > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for Pisa after First Florin event
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if
    			if I_EventCounter MONEY_FIRST_DUCATO > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_venice > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for Venice after First Ducato event
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if
    			if I_EventCounter MONEY_BARDI_BANK > 0
    			and I_EventCounter faction_turn_eastern_european < 1
    				log ------ terminate monitor for NE and other SE factions after Bardi Bank event
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if
    			if I_EventCounter MONEY_KREMNICA_MINT > 0
    				log ------ terminate monitor for all other catholic factions after Kremnica mint event
    				terminate_monitor
    			end_if

end_monitor

and Treasury > 14999							; this condition is redundant (as it is in the other below)
    		and Treasury < 20000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 20
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 11999
    		and Treasury < 15000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 15
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 9999
    		and Treasury < 12000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 12
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 7999
    		and Treasury < 10000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 10
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 5999
    		and Treasury < 8000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 8
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 4999
    		and Treasury < 6000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 6
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 3999
    		and Treasury < 5000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 5
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 2999
    		and Treasury < 4000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 4
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 1999
    		and Treasury < 3000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 3
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > 999
    		and Treasury < 2000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 2
    	end_monitor

and Treasury > -1
    		and Treasury < 1000
    			set_event_counter player_treasury 1
    	end_monitor

and Treasury < 0
    	end_monitor

; needed a new value in player_treasury to account for -500 for mercenary disband script --- Belo
    		and Treasury < -500
    			set_event_counter player_treasury -1
    	end_monitor
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 23, 2023 at 01:49 AM.

A good picture showing the importance of general's traits for keeping a settlement under control:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast