Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Skill Cards V2.0

Icon3 New Skill Cards V2.0

First 'official' beta version 2.0 of my mod now available from my steam workshop. If demand exists I will upload to mediafire, please request in comments if this is desired.
    Last edited by kanecaston; June 08, 2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: next version ready

Default Re: First batch of new skill cards here.

RATIONALE BEHIND IMAGES

The above 'dread' card of the warmonger skills was originally a whip, I have replaced that with an image of a crucifixion scaffold and nails to capture the idea of the fear that enemies and deserters and so on must have had facing these guys.

'Despoil' is another very changed from the original which showed a chest of what I assumed was treasure. I have instead used an image of someone in chains keeping with the spirit of despoiling where the victorious force would enslave their defeated adversaries.

Each of these images, while directly inspired by the vanilla cards, are utterly my own creations. I drew them using serif x4 and photoshop mainly as well as fireworks for some symmetry art.
    Last edited by kanecaston; May 25, 2014 at 02:14 AM.
    We are fifty or a hundred years behind the advanced countries. We must make good this distance in ten years. Either we do it, or they will crush us. Speech "The Tasks of Economic Executives" (4 February 1931)

Stalin said this in 1931, at the beginning of the rapid industrialization campaign. Ten years later, Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union.

Quote Originally Posted by kanecaston View Post
    Here are all nine of the warmonger skill cards redone.

Next up are the strategist then commander skill cards.

I will be doing all of the skill cards, then the character background cards, then army and naval traditions cards.

Warmonger cards will be on a red background card, strategist cards on a blue background card, and so on, for easy identification of the relevant traits when leveling up your generals.
    very impressive i must say.....all good things take time. Will you be sharing by segments or when fully completed.
    Last edited by Kirra; May 25, 2014 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    very impressive i must say.....all good things take time.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by kanecaston; May 25, 2014 at 02:24 AM.
    We are fifty or a hundred years behind the advanced countries. We must make good this distance in ten years. Either we do it, or they will crush us. Speech "The Tasks of Economic Executives" (4 February 1931)

Stalin said this in 1931, at the beginning of the rapid industrialization campaign. Ten years later, Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union.

Thank you.

I am looking for any critique of these images as these are final production and once I leave them and move onto the next lot I don't want to come back to them again until its time to put the mod together. Myself I am not entirely happy with the initial warmonger card, that is the entry card to the warmonger series of traits, the very top image in the images above, but cannot think of what else to use here. Maybe I should make it closer to the vanilla image which is of a wolf and club.

from what i can see you're doing great....no reason to sway from vanilla too much since i didn't mind them either.good luck with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    Will you be sharing by segments or when fully completed.
    Missed that.

I intend to share my progress in segments here in these forums so that others can have some input and while I will be doing all of the work, especially the artistic work, I do not mind others pointing out ways I could do a thing better or some criticism of art direction or anything else.

If you meant share my progress in the form of a beta, I don't know. I intend to release the first beta once all skills images are complete and compiled into a mod. However if anyone requests an early beta, more of an alpha, with the images I've completed combined with the vanilla images I haven't replaced, I can supply that demand, if it exists.

Just ask.

That wouldn't be a problem, for me, though how it would look combining the new images with the vanilla images I cannot say.
    Last edited by kanecaston; May 25, 2014 at 02:29 AM.

Sorry missed that bit.

I was going to share my progress on here so others can have some input and while I intend on doing all the work myself it would be easier to avoid mistakes in artistic direction if others can point things out to me or help me in such ways.

I can also share my progress as a partially completed (or beta) mod if people actually wanted such a thing. I don't know if they do. I suppose if anyone requests it I can quickly whip up a mod with all the images I've made to date and send them the link. That wouldn't be a problem for me though how it would look combining the new images with the vanilla images I cannot say.
    i don't think you will have a problem with peeps d/l this.It's just with all the threads and posts it's getting difficult to find certain topics......i found this by accident (glad i did mind you).

Have completed second batch of skill cards, the strategos cards. Having already completed the warmonger cards this leaves only the nine commander cards until I can release as a beta mod.

Please leave criticism as I need to refine images before finalizing into packfile.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Skill Cards batch 1 and 2

These look lovely, and the Illuminati reference there on "Covert Actions" I like that. My suggestion is with the dread card, possibly have the crucifix on a hill, or just give it some sort of base and I feel like it would look a lot better.

I have a bit of a strange request. I really like the Illuminati one, and my name here is IlluminatiRex. My question is, could I possibly use that one as an Avatar here? I feel like it would fit pretty well, and I've been looking for a new avatar for ages.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    These look lovely, and the Illuminati reference there on "Covert Actions" I like that. My suggestion is with the dread card, possibly have the crucifix on a hill, or just give it some sort of base and I feel like it would look a lot better.

I have a bit of a strange request. I really like the Illuminati one, and my name here is IlluminatiRex. My question is, could I possibly use that one as an Avatar here? I feel like it would fit pretty well, and I've been looking for a new avatar for ages.
    Of course you can use the image.

I knew something was missing from the dread card. I couldn't think of what to add. Thanks for suggesting the hill. I will test it out before finalizing the beta mod.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Thank you for letting me use the image, and I can't wait for the full release of this. These all look really good.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.

download please download

Quote Originally Posted by triplelevel View Post
    download please download
    Very early beta is now available as per your request. Images are not the best yet but all work and are decent. Enjoy.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

Great job. I like the style. I also like they all in one style. Often the people use for such cards different style (one is a photo, another a cartoon and another a graphic), but I don't like it. Your style is very nice. It do not bring any unrest into the CA style.

Good job.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Quote Originally Posted by joedreck View Post
    Great job. I like the style. I also like they all in one style. Often the people use for such cards different style (one is a photo, another a cartoon and another a graphic), but I don't like it. Your style is very nice. It do not bring any unrest into the CA style.

Good job.
    Thank you. I have tried to stay true to the originals by CA, but did not want to just recolor their images like I was originally considering. This has been a lot of work but I like drawing.

However they are not really finished, I had only just begun testing when the above commenter requested a download so bear in mind that these images are a very early beta not finished creation.

Okay enjoy.

Default Re: new skills images BETA 1.0 available NOW

Nice Work!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Subscribed on the workshop, these will look great in game! One of the reasons I don't like a lot of the current mods that change the cards and such is that they stray too far away from the stylization that CA was aiming for. I like Bullgod's icons because they are still 2D and give plenty of info what the unit is about, while still be stylized to an extent. These will fit wonderfully in with the base game, much more so than some pictures taken off of google imo

Citizen

Blog Entries

Alright, after having played with them for a few days I have another suggestion. I notice the drawings have 'jaggies' on them on such a small scale, what picture format are you saving them as? if it's .jpg/.jpeg i would use .png so you avoid that issue as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    Alright, after having played with them for a few days I have another suggestion. I notice the drawings have 'jaggies' on them on such a small scale, what picture format are you saving them as? if it's .jpg/.jpeg i would use .png so you avoid that issue as much as possible.
    Yes its a problem. Some of its caused by me saving my images in a higher definition and the game engine downscaling not performing correctly, (I have fixed this by exporting in 50x80 for the next update) but unfortunately some of the problem is just caused by having to small of a slot to fit each card into at 50x80 and I have been spending some time looking at whether this slot could be made bigger, else the images will never be really high quality though I can still make them look decent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast