Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Mercs

  1. #1
    Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,615

    Default Mercs

    Who do you guys think are the best Mercs in the game? Either by region or any individual unit .
    i thinks down south in the Romuli area has by far the best merc units. Time and time again these guys can take a hit and keep on going. But if I had to choose one as the best over all i have to say mammoth native units. i do wish we had some female amazon units I think 5, light Calvary, swordwoman, archer, javelin and spear units.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mercs

    I don't use many mercs as they slowly die out over time without replenishment. Except range mercs since they are only in danger to enemy ranged or cavalry.

    Melee: Uruks and Jotunns.
    Ranged: Ly Kan crossbows.
    Cavalry: The dark knights by the feudal factions and the javelin lizards.
    Elephant: I remember theur being artillery elephants by the desert regions?
    Siege: Definitely monster bombards.

    There has some of the funnest mercenaries out of all the mods I've played. Would have liked an amazon mercenary too. Maybe one day TFON will make Thera for Rome 2.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mercs

    I don't really use that many mercs to be honest. But I do rather like the Aztlan units from the island just to the west of the Paynal, they're pretty great.

    Mercs are useful though to make a kind of 'Foreign Legion' sort of thing and use a faction's own units against them which is always fun.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mercs

    All kinds of elephants, uruks, aztlan. And also monster bombard for artillery. Great for that one time siege use in syrianna.

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  5. #5
    shikaka's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Miskolc/Budapest (HUN)
    Posts
    2,160

    Default Re: Mercs

    What I always use are the units which I can replenish.
    For example when I attack the gaelics, I know I will be able to replenish saethwre (dunno, welsh longbow) in the cities, so I hire them from the get go.

    Other then that, I use mercenary units which have good staying power: long range missile units, siege equipment, mounted skirmishers. I usually don't hire melee infantry/cavalry, where replenishment would be a bigger issue.


    My favourite would be the gaelic longbowmen I think (sathwr or something).

  6. #6
    Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,615

    Default Re: Mercs

    The mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    To be honest this mod has some of the best merc units I have ever seen. And I like that "Foreign Legion" concept sounds cool.
    Last edited by Incredible Bulk; May 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM.

  7. #7
    shikaka's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Miskolc/Budapest (HUN)
    Posts
    2,160

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    They mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    To be honest this mod has some of the best merc units I have ever seen. And I like that "Foreign Legion" concept sounds cool.
    I like this aspect of the mod too. The fact that there are the "sumari steppes" between Lao Che and Uruks, and I can field a whole Sumari army if I want is kind of cool. (of course it is the same with other regions too)

  8. #8
    Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Novo Mundus
    Posts
    1,531

    Default Re: Mercs

    I tend to use only the cheap mercs as throw-away fodder. I'll send them in first to soften up the enemy before sending my faction troops in to break them.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    The mod does feature some great long range merc units.
    To be honest this mod has some of the best merc units I have ever seen. And I like that "Foreign Legion" concept sounds cool.
    Yeah that sounds really cool and I want to make a special part of my army only foreign, but I always and up mixing my armies because of unforseen opportunities and such. Also, role-play wise, some factions are better suited to use mercs, like the privateers i'm playing atm. They don't care whose's fighting for them, as long as they conquer and loot some sweet gold . And with other factions, like the Romuli, I like to use less mercs because they are more based on their own troops, I don't see them letting in non Romuli foreigners into their armies (which they would regard as "subhumans" of some sort).

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  10. #10
    Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,615

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    Yeah that sounds really cool and I want to make a special part of my army only foreign, but I always and up mixing my armies because of unforseen opportunities and such. Also, role-play wise, some factions are better suited to use mercs, like the privateers i'm playing atm. They don't care whose's fighting for them, as long as they conquer and loot some sweet gold . And with other factions, like the Romuli, I like to use less mercs because they are more based on their own troops, I don't see them letting in non Romuli foreigners into their armies (which they would regard as "subhumans" of some sort).
    That's true I agree with you but the Romuli more closely resembles the Roman empire and they had foreign Legion. Called the auxiliary

  11. #11

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    That's true I agree with you but the Romuli more closely resembles the Roman empire and they had foreign Legion. Called the auxiliary
    Yeah you're right. Now that I think about it, they would use "foreigners". But in a seperate part of the army, away from the main forces. As opposed to the pirates, the would be like "Arrr me matey, ye got a weapon? Then yer welcome to join our looting and pillaging.

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  12. #12
    MikeNice808's Avatar Miles
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey. Close enough to New York City to have inherited the attitude....
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Mercs

    Don't forget Atzlan Warriors and Bodaway warriors....in the right place the Bodaways can be deadly...

  13. #13
    Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,615

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice808 View Post
    Don't forget Atzlan Warriors and Bodaway warriors....in the right place the Bodaways can be deadly...
    Yeah I was recently exposed to them and they are nice

  14. #14

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Bulk View Post
    Yeah I was recently exposed to them and they are nice
    It's like Uruks and naffatun but for the Mesocala factions .

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  15. #15
    Double A's Avatar person man
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Cackalackistan
    Posts
    23,334

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    It's like Uruks and naffatun but for everyone with 225 florins.
    Fixed.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Fixed.
    It's like a cheap brand, but still offers great quality .

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  17. #17
    Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,030

    Default Re: Mercs

    I quite like recruiting Native Mercs who have fre upkeep in settlements. That way I can leave them as a cheap garrison force.

    I love the Merc system in this mod and I like that you can recruit such a wide variety of different troop types.

  18. #18
    Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,615

    Default Re: Mercs

    This mod does have the best mercs

  19. #19

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Badger-dude View Post
    I quite like recruiting Native Mercs who have fre upkeep in settlements. That way I can leave them as a cheap garrison force.

    I love the Merc system in this mod and I like that you can recruit such a wide variety of different troop types.
    I totally love the free upkeep system in this game. It forces you to keep actual town defending units into your towns.

    Click the image for some awesome new unit cards for the AIO mod!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Mercs

    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Roboto View Post
    I totally love the free upkeep system in this game. It forces you to keep actual town defending units into your towns.
    Agreed, love that any many other aspects of the game. Really enjoy having knights facing firearms being engaged with Meso-American troops supporting too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •