Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Notitia Dignitatum Project

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Default The Notitia Dignitatum Project

A retexturing project for the AR’S Late Roman Army Mod V 3.0 by Sertorio

Introduction
    BI mods are on my favorite list. After playing mods like VGR, the one thing I desired changing were the units belonging to the Late Roman Army Mod by Attila Reloaded. Though they are great units, they did not look up to the other units of IBFD and SAI with whom they share the battlefield. So i decided to enter the world of texturing and try to improve those older units and bring it a step closer. If I have achieved that it’s up to you to decide.
    I found a great inspiration in the Notitia Dignitatum a Roman document with the command and army lists dating from the 5th century AD. with hundreds of shield patterns . Bringing all them to life will be surely a long term goal and probably not necessary. It is a nice challenge however.
    Retexturing the LATE ROMAN ARMY PACK from Attila Reloaded is a feasible objective and I intend to do so at least for the Roman faction.
    My last objective is to do some unit packs for the BI mods. IBFD does not require so as Gaiten is already developing RR. SAI does not use AR’s units from that pack and the texturing and modeling job is well beyond my modest abilities.
    There are plenty units from the pack in Rio’s VGR, and it’s also a mod I love playing so it’s my obvious choice. So I made my first objective to release a unit pack with retextured AR units for VGR. I choose not to wait to full completion of the Packs in order to offer the opportunity to use the pack to anyone who is playing the recent release of VGR II.
    -The Previews-

-The Packs-
    VGR Pack – The VGR Pack contains retextured units and UI cards for WRE and ERE. The Equites Bucellarii are now horse archers/ spearmen. Consequently EDU and DMB are also different.

The DMB it’s the sprited version . The featured units from the Notitia Dignitatum, from Palatina to Pseudocomitatenses are:
    For the WRE- Herculiani Seniores, Lanciarii Sabarienses,Pannoniaci Seniores, Octaviani, Abrincateni and Romanenses. Equites Batavi Seniores and Equites Brachiati Seniores.
    For the ERE- Herculiani Iuniores, Primani, Lanciari Iuniores,Quinta Macedonica, Thertia Diocletiana Thebaorum and Prima Italica.
    Equites Scutari and Equites Batavi Iuniores.
    Download Link:
    http://dfiles.eu/files/kllxr6bk6

-Instalation-
    VGR Pack – Open the folder ND for VGR, copy the content Data and drop it inside RIO folder. It will overwrite the original textures, two CAS.files that were slightly altered and the EDU and DMB for one changed unit. Warning: the DMB used is the Sprite version. If by any chance you want to back up the original files you can do the following:
    1. Open RIO/Data and copy models_unit and save it do a different location at your choice.
    2. Look for Descr_model_battle and Export_descr_units and change their names to something like Descr_moddel_battle1 and Export_descr_unit2. Doing this files will not be overwritten.
    3. Unpack and install the pack. In essence it's a simple drag and drop procedure.
    4.It's save compatible.

-Credits-
    Credits from the Late Roman Army mod v 3.0
    -Attila Reloaded, Prometheus, IR Mod’s Research Team, Warspite and Late Romans. Further details can be found in the pack itself downloadable in TWC.
    -All retexturing work from the original textures has been made by me.

-Copyrights –
    Public releases based on the retextured AR’s pack will need permission from me. Since I doubt AR’s is still active he must at least be also credited in any public release. If I am not available to answer a PM, crediting me will also suffice.
    Mod packs made for mods may contain retextured units or CAS.files from the mod itself so permission to any release using any mod pack, may require also permission from the mod teams they were developed for if exclusive content namely mod cas.files or unit textures are used.
    -I would like to give my thanks to-
    The dwellers of the Tavern, they have always provided a very nice feedback and support, the IB moding teams, Julianus Heraclius ,Joar, Gaiten, Riothamus, Razor, either for advice, support or just for having released such interesting material that can be studied when one enters the world of texturing.

Note: This should be viewed as a work in progress; links will be updated as work progresses.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by Sertorio; June 07, 2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Updated link and pack
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: The Notitia Dignitatum Project

Great work Sertorio! Should post this in the Art forum too, create a workshop there.

Thank you kindly. Now that i got that out of my system i'll be returning to a certain shields.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Primani and Quintani! ... great work Sertorio!

You may consider if your passion (that is also mine and of many others here ...) pushes you to go on on this project, to add various packs, with even more shields, so if the player wants he can switch to the pack with the units he likes more! A sort of 'menu à la carte' for gourmets of the Late Antiquity .... This suggestion is only in the case you have time and will to go on with the project, adding new shields!

Anyway awesome work, thank you very much good sir!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very, very good job!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I agree with Diocle. You ought to do different packs for different groups of units.

E.g.
    The Old Style Legions (Primani, Quinta Macedonica, Septima Gemnia, Undecima Claudia, etc)
    The Diocletianic Legions (Tertia Herculia, Iovani, Sexta Herculia, etc)
    The Parthian Legions (III-VI Parthica)

That sort of thing.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Awesome work. I love how the pesodo legios have less armor and it shows. For me it adds to the darkness and makes them look slightly less quality, they look awesome and will become my favorites line unit!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Update. RIO's VGR pack updated with retextured roman cavalry units.
    Equites Batavi Seniores, Scutari, Batavi Iuniores and Brachiati Seniores.
    New Ui cards for the Catrafactari and retextured shield and Unit cards for the V Macedonica.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great work again Sertorio!

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very nice!!

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Beautiful units and shields, Sertorio! Thanks for your work.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    New Ui cards for the Catrafactari and retextured shield and Unit cards for the V Macedonica.
    (...)
    Hmmm, maybe you could try to maintain the same size of troopers on unit cards?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	romans.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	308723
    Last edited by Hanti; June 11, 2014 at 02:09 AM.

I could but i can always invoke that i am doing it on purpose.And in a certain way i am. I take it you are referring to similar units (infantry card vs infantry card etc,etc). Some of the cards are older than others and i don't know how to exactly scale them to the same size nor have i developed a method to do it.
    Last edited by Sertorio; June 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Great job, I love the cavalry units, especially Equites Brucellarii and Equites Batavi Seniores

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Great work

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I agree with Diocle. You ought to do different packs for different groups of units.

E.g.
    The Old Style Legions (Primani, Quinta Macedonica, Septima Gemnia, Undecima Claudia, etc)
    The Diocletianic Legions (Tertia Herculia, Iovani, Sexta Herculia, etc)
    The Parthian Legions (III-VI Parthica)

That sort of thing.
    Hum possible, i think i figure out how to do that, but it will have to be something specific for each mod. For now and since i have only the pack for RIO, i am planning on working the Limitanei. Increase the number of textures available to about four depending on region.
    For ERE for example i am planning the following : I Parthica , II Traiana, in the east and Legio I Italica, Legio IIII Flavia Felix for Illyricorum and Thrace. Or other legions.
    Other four for the ERE.
    Since no shields are represented in the ND for the old Limitanei Legions, most of the work will be conjectural. Ideas ?

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Some work in progress. The Limitanei from Legio Secunda Traiana and a new texture for Atilla Reloaded Centenarius.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

The Limitanei Legions.
    They are closing for VGR. I Parthica, II Traiana, IIII Parthica and X Gemina. Parthica I uses a comon cross design widely used to represent the Parthica Legion,
    Traiana bears an image from the founding emperor. IIII Parthica existance is atested into a vey late period so i tried to represent a early Byzantine design.
    Enjoy.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    The Limitanei Legions.
    They are closing for VGR. I Parthica, II Traiana, IIII Parthica and X Gemina. Parthica I uses a comon cross design widely used to represent the Parthica Legion,
    Traiana bears an image from the founding emperor. IIII Parthica existance is atested into a vey late period so i tried to represent a early Byzantine design.
    Enjoy.

Ooooo, these look very nice indeed. Will you be adding any cult of mithra shield retextures? Or the twin dragon shield designs? (Sorry, I don't know what their actually names are. )

By twin dragon do you mean like the Aglevari , Defensores or Cornuti ? Can you give me an idea of cult of mithra based shields ?
    http://lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html
    Thanks for the feedback.

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast