View Poll Results: Which shield patterns do you prefer?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Colored

33 47.14%
  • Bronze

27 38.57%
  • Iron

10 14.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [PREVIEW] Hoplite shield patterns - Aspis

Foederatus
    Italy, Abruzzo (Vacri & Pescara)....old Sabellian lands!!!

Default Re: KLA's shield patterns - ASPIS

Quote Originally Posted by foot soldier View Post
    The only original roman shield.Nothing that you ever seen before ,leaving the question , how is it possible that i never seen this before on TWC .
    I feel this to be a parade shield, something crafted for pure obstentation (Rituals? Games? Parades? Triumph processions?).

Too much detail, too much paint, too many figures.
    Most of it will be gone after any simple one-vs-fight.

Have a better look at the shield.
    There is not even a slashing or piercing sign.
    It was not made for real combat.

Professional legionaries never had stuff like that on a battlefield.

Very very good as usual dear KLA!

Metalde's Avatar Libertus

Bronze!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LucaCherstich View Post
    I feel this to be a parade shield, something crafted for pure obstentation (Rituals? Games? Parades? Triumph processions?).

yes u r right i actually read it somewhere that this was most likely a parade shield (same design, same view hole)....very interesting nonetheless.
    As for the vote i like a mixture of all 3....variety is the spice of life.
    Last edited by Kirra; May 27, 2014 at 12:59 AM.

Foederatus
    Italy, Abruzzo (Vacri & Pescara)....old Sabellian lands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    yes u r right i actually read it somewhere that this was most likely a parade shield (same design, same view hole)....very interesting nonetheless.
    I feel that's not a view hole.
    There's a hole since the central boss is missing.

Perhaps not. But, whilst elaborate, there's nothing to suggest it being for parade ground use unless your view is that elaborate decoration wouldn't be seen on the battlefield. That would not be supported by military history in general; and there's good evidence that just one century later that it doesn't hold true for the Roman army either. One of the great things about KLA's artwork is that he takes the vibrant colours from historical sources and places them back onto the Total War battlefield. The successor kingdoms are a riot of colour, and sometimes take some getting used to. Can carp and highlight the odd niggle, but personally I just concentrate on enjoying it. I mean look at the colours in those frescoes... these guys were as much peacocks as any hussar!

Default Re: KLA's shield patterns - ASPIS ------------ RELEASE: JUNE 2014 -------------

mid july

Default Re: KLA's shield patterns - ASPIS ------------ RELEASE: JUNE 2014 -------------

When is this being released? Will it be a standalone mod? On Steam?

Sorry for my long absence from the forum. I had very little time lately. Next week, you expect surprises.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: KLA's shield patterns - ASPIS ------------ RELEASE: AUGUST 2014 -------------

bronze of course as it was the most used...

Default Re: KLA's shield patterns - ASPIS ------------ RELEASE: AUGUST 2014 -------------

Friends, you will be happy in this month... not only shields... I can tell only this info now. You will be very happy, i am sure!

still waiting

Cheshire Cat's Avatar Civis

Great work KLA , BTW i am no expert by any means but the roman army looked after there kit like I did when I was in the army , so having nice shiny armour and shields in good condition would be no surprise to me , it really gets my goat when the realism dudes start to moan about bright shiny gear , actually I would imagine it did exist , just like the cap badges or polished boots , dam I even had to iron my combat gear.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Hoplite shield patterns - Aspis

I do not like you using Silver Coins images for shields.
    I doubt that portraits as those in coins appeared on shields too.
    A shield is made to resist hits.
    You can maybe paint a symbol there...but the precise portrait of an Hellenistic kings with the same level of detail one can see in coins is too much for me.
    In my opinion on coins can be possible the same shield patterns including portraits. There are many examples. We'll never be sure. Many theories too just conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb77 View Post
    Perhaps not. But, whilst elaborate, there's nothing to suggest it being for parade ground use unless your view is that elaborate decoration wouldn't be seen on the battlefield. That would not be supported by military history in general; and there's good evidence that just one century later that it doesn't hold true for the Roman army either. One of the great things about KLA's artwork is that he takes the vibrant colours from historical sources and places them back onto the Total War battlefield. The successor kingdoms are a riot of colour, and sometimes take some getting used to. Can carp and highlight the odd niggle, but personally I just concentrate on enjoying it. I mean look at the colours in those frescoes... these guys were as much peacocks as any hussar!

I see that we think very similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    Great work KLA , BTW i am no expert by any means but the roman army looked after there kit like I did when I was in the army , so having nice shiny armour and shields in good condition would be no surprise to me , it really gets my goat when the realism dudes start to moan about bright shiny gear , actually I would imagine it did exist , just like the cap badges or polished boots , dam I even had to iron my combat gear.
    I totally agree.

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Hoplite shield patterns - Aspis

Reuploaded screens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12