Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Unlocking RomeTW Hardcoded Limits - Memory Editing

Default Re: Unlocking RomeTW Hardcoded Limits - Memory Editing

Any updates please ?
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Right now I'm working pretty hard on disassembly. Even though the hype was big at the start of the announcement, there isn't anyone helping out at the moment, so progress is as slow as it can get. Right now I'm seriously doubting this can be finished by the end of June, simply because I don't have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Right now I'm working pretty hard on disassembly. Even though the hype was big at the start of the announcement, there isn't anyone helping out at the moment, so progress is as slow as it can get. Right now I'm seriously doubting this can be finished by the end of June, simply because I don't have the time.
    Pity. It seems that none of the rtw modders don't have enough knowledge to help you, I also don't know anything about debugging and programming. But hard to keep my fingers crossed that you did, and i think that a lot of looks at what you're doing with great hopes. Please do not give up and continue this great project.

Maybe you can advertise on dedicated programming forums (if such places exist).

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Need any help?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Extradaemon View Post
    Maybe you can advertise on dedicated programming forums (if such places exist).
    This kind of project expects 2 things: 1) someone who loves RTW 2) someone who knows C++.
    TWC is probably the best place for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Need any help?
    If you've got experience in C++, you can PM me. Help is always appreciated.

RedFox, I hate to bother you but something simple you MAY be able to fix is having the AI attack the Forts? This would make the mod I made that is in many mods with a better roman fort actually be useful. Right now with the 1.3 patch they made the AI siege the fort to death and I would rather them Attack after 2 turns. Something I really missed with 1.2 patch.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

The big issue with this on Rome 1 is the fact it can only use ONE core. It is going to be very hard for most people to run an unlocked rome 1 and new lower end systems that easily play Medieval 2 or even Empire do struggle with Rome Vanilla, is this feature available for Medieval 2? And are any mods using it?

Yes, there's this very same thing for Med2 too.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Well... things have been quite right now
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Just means we are working hard
    There is a lot of discussion about what will be in the mod at the moment, that is why there haven't been any previews. As far as unlocking the hard code we are slowly but surely getting there one day at a time. An experienced C++ programmer or two could really make a difference though!

Tiro

Late to the party, but wow such an incredible project! Wish good luck, fast work to remove all the locks and squash the bugs of this game!

Also I read up the thread a bit, editing the exe is prohibited, a Chinese mod was banned for it but was also distributing the full .exe. Modders for the Paradox Interactive games Heart of Iron 1-2-3 made 'patches' that inserted codes in the exe file, this is prohibited for TW games?

We're not editing the exe, it's ilegal to do so. We have full permission from both CA and TWC to perform memory editing.

While I would've loved to make more progress with the launcher, the sad fact is that it's really a lot of work for only a single person. Right now the progress is really slow, partly influenced by my busy work schedule and nice summer weather.

I demand you to quit your work at once! I'll delivery you via mail a can of spam every day and whenever you show remarkable progress I'll send two cans and some salty crackers!

I get enough spam in my mailbox. I think I have to decline the offer.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    We're not editing the exe, it's ilegal to do so.
    The Heart of Iron modders never technically edited the exe. Its like the 4GB memory exe patch that is used, seen it in RS2 threads.
    Last edited by jrhindo; July 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

We're, and when I say "we" it's mainly RedFox, since he is the only one in the team with expertise do do so, going to edit the memory in order to unlock some of the hardcoded limits of the RTW engine. Now, I don't know if what the HoI modders was purely memory editing, if so, then it's what we're going to do, if it was other thing that's not memory editing, then it's not what we're going to do. I hope I was clear enough.

If you guys read the first post and a few following, you can get all the information why what we're doing is completely legal.

@jrhindo
    The team got the ok from TWC and Creative Assembly to do this. Heart of Iron is a mod for an entirely different game from an entirely different company. Paradox probably has different rules when it comes to this kinda thing which is probably why they put a halt to the mod you mentioned. The team here actually has permission from the actual developer of this game to do this ergo, perfectly legal.

Edit, I hope didn't sound rude, I reread it and I sound kinda rude, but I dunno, If I did come off sounding rude I apologize