Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Amazing breakthrough Zarathos. So using this new technique would it be possible to create a second papal faction? Asking in reference to this VERY old thread. I tried adding in the line to make a 2nd papal faction and while the game loaded fine the new faction had no access to papal features until the original faction was stripped of its 'papal status' suggesting a hard-coded limit of 1 papal_faction so if I understand correctly you could work around that? If it is possible there are so many new opportunities. Addition of a caliph/patriach to vanilla or the white council to TATW could all be possible

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

If I could make a suggestion.

Increase the faction limit to 45 or 50. Increase the culture limit so it is the same as the faction limit for those fantasy mods where every faction is so unique they could never it into the same culture, such as Hyrule: total war and Planet war.
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    Go to this site and call your congressmen!
    Do not le the FCC destroy net neutrality in America!
    On Dec. 14 the FCC will vote on whether to destroy net neutrality or not! Congress can stop them beforehand, so tell congress and the FCC that you don't want them to ruin the internet!

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Something I was wondering about.

The UI files are .tga and they have a size. The engine reads the coordinates that tells him where things like faction banners are, and there is limited space and specific coordinate for these faction banners. So I belive this will be a problem if you guys try to add more factions, because even if you push the limit number up, things like this UI one will still be a limitation and probably avoid the faction limit breaking.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Too many factions would break the game as the turns would take ages. Some mods have already added the maximum number of factions currently possible and if any of you played them you can notice the time to pass turns increased significantly. I imagine having 50 factions in the game would make it real painful to wait for end turns, specially for people with low end pcs. Increasing the number of cultures and units in the other hand could be more useful without making the game "too heavy".

Having more faction would be interesting in term of coding and scripting (for custom cities as an exemple). You don't need them at end of turn.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Arandir Tur-Anion View Post
    Having more faction would be interesting in term of coding and scripting (for custom cities as an exemple). You don't need them at end of turn.
    You have a good point. Having the freedom to add them is worth it by itself too. I just think many people are getting too excited dreaming on having dozens of factions in a campaign which in my opinion wouldnt work.

How about each faction, having an extra sub-faction - Rome (patricians) having a Plebian sub-faction also. can occupy the same terrain, are allies, can join armies or fight each other ?

To add some class warfare ?

ok, I'm getting carried away again

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
    Amazing breakthrough Zarathos. So using this new technique would it be possible to create a second papal faction? Asking in reference to this VERY old thread. I tried adding in the line to make a 2nd papal faction and while the game loaded fine the new faction had no access to papal features until the original faction was stripped of its 'papal status' suggesting a hard-coded limit of 1 papal_faction so if I understand correctly you could work around that? If it is possible there are so many new opportunities. Addition of a caliph/patriach to vanilla or the white council to TATW could all be possible
    A caliph?Isn't he a kind of arabian monarch?
    As for the patriarch,it would not be fun with only 2 orthodox factions.
    If the authors of Third Age mod wanted to add that "white council",they would have already added it,unless there's another faction in their mod similar to the papal one.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonisTheGreek View Post
    A caliph?Isn't he a kind of arabian monarch?
    As for the patriarch,it would not be fun with only 2 orthodox factions.
    If the authors of Third Age mod wanted to add that "white council",they would have already added it,unless there's another faction in their mod similar to the papal one.
    Yes he is but I think he is superior to a faction leader (may be wrong but that is besides the point). True for patriach too but again its still nice to know that if people wanted it is possible. It was more for mods like TATW I was thinking of anyway. TATW authors have not added it as they implemented a papal faction already and atm there can only be one. If we can create a second one using memory editing possibility of white council could be re-opened. I doubt the authors would do it but idea is worthy of a sub-mod at least I think.

@leo
    I may be wrong but can't you add as many .tga files for UI as you like so long as you reference them in the .sd file?

I just found this. This is great news. I wish you luck, this kind of tool is something that is sorely needed.

This is way too cool. You, sir, are a genius. My hat is off to you!

Can't wait to see all the possibilities this opens up for other mods out there!

And to think that I just logged on today, randomly, to see if anything new was posted. What a surprise!

Ultimate Total War was released. You can make your own campaign with factions created by yourself that can start in Prehistory and end in 4000 AD.
    Scripting has never been easier and we can play by simply using telepathic signals.
    I Lol'd hard at this.
    Last edited by Gabrius; May 27, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Jakeford's Avatar Ducenarius

In my opinion all of the limits should be set really high, and it should be the responsibility of the modders to "mod responsibly".
    https://www.battleforthenet.com/
    Go to this site and call your congressmen!
    Do not le the FCC destroy net neutrality in America!
    On Dec. 14 the FCC will vote on whether to destroy net neutrality or not! Congress can stop them beforehand, so tell congress and the FCC that you don't want them to ruin the internet!

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeford View Post
    In my opinion all of the limits should be set really high, and it should be the responsibility of the modders to "mod responsibly".
    I agree, you shouldn't spend time testing how high you can raise the limits, modders should make sure that their work is playable.

RNV's Avatar Campidoctor
    Regio Septima, Tuscia, Italia, Res Publica Romana

I can't say anything more than: the Gods listened to my sacrifices, let's bring another goat to the temple to ask for benevolence!
    "There is no ugly woman, there is only too few Vodka" - Oleg Pouzanov (ex Soviet fencing team coach)

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

quick request Is it possible for the current way units get experience upgrades be changed back the way it was in RTW (have every chevron add one attack and one defense?)
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Great discovering and exploring job you're doing right now, Zarathos !!
    How big is your current team btw ?

Anyway, I will wear a banner of your thread real soon also. Keep it up and running, Cheers !
    Last edited by Celtoi; May 30, 2014 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Text format

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

Would this also work with Rome total war?

It would be pretty cool seeing full sized Roman cohorts.

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

There's a full fleged proyect for Rome that it's already more advanced than this one!
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    There's a full fleged proyect for Rome that it's already more advanced than this one!
    We are sharing our patcher source code sooo... no, I don't think it's more advanced

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

My bad. It just seems like it, given they have some screens of the launcher and said have done more things. But granted, I don't really know how advanced this is too. Anxiety attacks I guess
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.