Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs
    It was a joke, Zarathos had already warned me.
    As was my comment .. tied to the length of the main IWTE thread and the various diversions there...... Don't think UndrState got it though

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I'm a programmer! How can I serve?

My biggest dream is to have more regions, more factions, more religions and cultures and enabling multiple buildings at once, just like the recruitment of units, that's it, being capable of building more than one thing at the time. Also a way for characters from different factions to have different lifespans (humans, elves, dwarves anyone?)

Oh and bigger population limits.

After that I would like to have at least two different kind of populations and a los of other things. My wall of doom speaks for itself I guess.

Anyway beyond any personal aspiration of mine I want to help.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; May 23, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    I'm a programmer! How can I serve?

[...]

Anyway beyond any personal aspiration of mine I want to help.
    If you know how to use disassemblers (mainly IDA Pro) and debuggers (WinDBG, OllyDBG) and you understand how low level assembly instructions work, you could be helpful. A little knowledge of hex editors and C++ is also necessary, but not really important.

Seems very promising! if i can i would rep you, but I can't (too young)
    Last edited by Pyotr Rachkovsky; May 31, 2014 at 05:39 AM.

apologies for this very far off the wall question... but is there any possibility that you can change the number of seasons to include an autumn/spring with associated memory space for battle/strat texture changes (e.g. autumn/spring names + geography and vegetation models and textures)?

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Of course it is. Imho it could be a very hard task, so I wouldn't give it a high priority for the moment. You have access to the group and, consequently, to our database. You could start investigating a little bit of this in your spare time, if you wish.

Hi Zarathos, does that apply to me then also? I declined the invite as I am too tied with other things (IWTE mostly) and wanting to do some other modding things plus my knowledge of C++ is mostly restricted to a 'needed to know' basis tied around some open GLSL little routines and converting some things to Python.

The climates thing is the bit that interests me most as the issue is most likely around the counts of 2 seasons (and their names) and 12 climates. We (mak and I) already have full knowledge of the vegetation.DB and geography.db and have written routines to completely rewrite those files in IWTE (i.e not use the CA generator).

Note I don't think Mak does have access to the group as she wasn't invited as she isn't really a programmer..... just pretty good at hex editing and analysis.
    Last edited by wilddog; May 23, 2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: my spelling is crap

Is there any chance of being able to make sensible suggestions in the future for limits to be raised or different things to be changed, etc? Different mods might have different requirements. I appreciate it's hard to please everyone (especially when we excitedly blubber a wall of text at you!) but could this be done eventually?

My assembly is rusty, haven't touched it since college. However it's nothing a quick read can't undo and put me up to speed.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Valiant Champion's Avatar Praepositus

number of ranks fighting is spearwall?

BETTER PIKES
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...2#post16143112

THE PIKE WARS HAVE BEGUN!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Hi Zarathos, does that apply to me then also? I declined the invite as I am too tied with other things (IWTE mostly) and wanting to do some other modding things plus my knowledge of C++ is mostly restricted to a 'needed to know' basis tied around some open GLSL little routines and converting some things to Python.

The climates thing is the bit that interests me most as the issue is most likely around the counts of 2 seasons (and their names) and 12 climates. We (mak and I) already have full knowledge of the vegetation.DB and geography.db and have written routines to completely rewrite those files in IWTE (i.e not use the CA generator).

Note I don't think Mak does have access to the group as she wasn't invited as she isn't really a programmer..... just pretty good at hex editing and analysis.
    You mean that you may know how to totaly change the entire vegetation of the game (with RSII's one for example)???
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

He's a thought, We all know populations were divided into classes - aristocrats, commoners, poor / serfs, slaves, criminals etc .. I wonder if you could add extra populations and link solder type to population type eg - knights only come from aristocrats. etc

What's the purpose for all this ? politics and government types - aristocrat run monarchies, commoner run democracies, criminal run Tyants etc

Ok, maybe I've asked for too much, we have memory editing not source code.

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    You mean that you may know how to totaly change the entire vegetation of the game (with RSII's one for example)???
    it's been possible for a while
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13489853
    just needs a lot of manual work - it's not a memory/exe problem... just someone actually doing the conversions

EDIT; actually I suppose it might be possible to get the game to auto generate the veg.db and sprites as RTW used to, so maybe that's worth a look - there is a command that looks like it ought to allow .db to be rebuilt - but which doesn't work, I think because we're missing some of the original files needed
    for the .db, I don't know if it's actually got the sprite producing process in there if you get past that point.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    it's been possible for a while
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13489853
    just needs a lot of manual work - it's not a memory/exe problem... just someone actually doing the conversions

EDIT; actually I suppose it might be possible to get the game to auto generate the veg.db and sprites as RTW used to, so maybe that's worth a look - there is a command that looks like it ought to allow .db to be rebuilt - but which doesn't work, I think because we're missing some of the original files needed
    for the .db, I don't know if it's actually got the sprite producing process in there if you get past that point.
    A re-creating or automaticaly replacing of vegetation , tool would be wonderfull!
    So far you and wilddog's work gave new possibillities in creating worlds that with better settlement textures make settlements look more real than ever!
    Modern modelers and skiners also made unit creations look as good as possible and what remains is the surrounding enviroment inorder all these achivements wont look alien in game!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Hey, quick question. In theory, could you do this same thing with the newer total wars? I know it would take time, but I want to know if it's possible.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Memory editing an executable is possible for every existing executable. But this kind of things require just too much of time. I don't think I'll work on R2TW as I don't play it and, unlike M2TW, I don't consider it a good base for modding (a lot of things must still be discovered, the engine performance is horrible and the new CA policy reduced too much the time between new game releases).
    Last edited by Zarathos; May 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    Memory editing an executable is possible for every existing executable. But this kind of things require just too much of time. I don't think I'll work on R2TW as I don't play it and, unlike M2TW, I don't consider it a good base for modding (a lot of things must still be discovered, the engine performance is horrible and the new CA policy reduced too much the time between new game releases).
    True! M2TW as it can be modded today can become much more enjoyable!
    New animations are available.
    Modders and skiners drove their creations beyond limits.
    Tools gave us the ooportunity to adjust the game to modding needs!
    If vegetation could be replaced and added naval combats (water exists as terain surfase) the game would be better than R2 in all aspects!

I think I recall someone says that he tried to add naval battles to either Rome or med2 and partly succeeding but the result was as awful that in fact it was better to have them abstracted. Also if memory serves it was kind of a total conversion, that's it only naval battles no land ones. I could be wrong or remembering a dream, I don't know. In any case it seems that including naval battles would be something out of reach unless lots of people with the right skills put a huge effort into it. And that's even if it's possible in the first place (I have a hunch it might actually be possible)

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

On the top of that, R2TW is still being developed because it's the last game being released by CA. They still have a dedicated team of programmers, the source-code and big feedbacks from communities. They could just transform it into the greatest game ever without the help of a poor guy modifying opcodes with a hex editor, unless they are wiling to pay me for what I do like any other member of their develpment team, of course
    Last edited by Zarathos; May 24, 2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII
    If vegetation could be replaced
    It can. Its just that you always had to make it first, create the sprites (via IWTE) and load into the vegetation.DB. Its been possible for a long time however what you seem to be asking for is a tool that takes all RTW vegetation cas files, splits them up and automatically changes and corrects them and generates the sprites and updates the DB from an unrelated text file. That's the bit that isn't possible via IWTE. I could possibly split out the RTW cas's but mak (who played with this) doesn't think its a straight usage of those CAS files.
    Last edited by wilddog; May 25, 2014 at 02:00 AM.