Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

I wish the discussion group could be opened to us at least to see what they are doing right now...

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    I wish the discussion group could be opened to us at least to see what they are doing right now...
    Absolutely no way Leo. As I already told you, we are not willing to teach people how to dissect an executable and modify its instructions. And making that group public would be the best way ever to achieve this result and see modified versions of M2TW popping out everywhere. And to eventually get harassed every time we discuss about new changes, on the top of that.

We already have a bounch of beta testers and some game experts inside our group that can provide us suggestions and help us find the best way to change the engine behavior... I don't think it would be a good idea to let everyone make comments on this.

The hype around this project is just great, so it's quite obvious we will inform the community about our progresses as soon as something new is moving on. So keep calm, and stay tuned!
    Last edited by Zarathos; May 22, 2014 at 02:23 PM.

Retógenes's Avatar Libertus

I don't know nothing about C++, but here's my tribute to you and your team, sir:

The "Old School Total War Brotherhood"* announces that...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

* The "OSTWB" group is a recently invented Secret Society of Hardcore fans of Ancient Total War games who loves the depth and management of the campaign of these beloved games. Our unique purpose is maintain the cultural traditions that these titles forged with fire in our hearts, and fight with guerrilla tactics to the new poorly campaign features & lineal campaigns of the new Total War titles. Yes, the AI and graphics aren't the best of the TW franchise, but mods (And modders) make these games immortal (Immortal means that RITW and MIITW will still be played by our grandchildren). And Bill Murray is our leader, yes!
    "Primus flammis combusta quam armis Numancia victa" Anonymous

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Absolutely no way Leo
    Don't take it the wrong way but its probably the most sensible post so far in this thread. Let them get on with what they are starting to do.

It was a joke, Zarathos had already warned me.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Yeah, in any case what's the harm? When was the last time this forum seemed so lively? People are excited about the possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    And making that group public would be the best way ever to achieve this result and see modified versions of M2TW popping out everywhere. And to eventually get harassed every time we discuss about new changes, on the top of that.
    That's the harm. CA is ok for memory editiing but obviously won't be very happy if everyone starts to make his own modifications are release whatsoever everywhere.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Yes, yes - you missed my point completely. There is no harm in leo, joking or not, asking about getting in on the discussion group, or in anyone else making wild requests because it's not up to them. My point is don't be an unnecessary buzz kill.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

I'm not saying there is harm in Leo's request. There is never harm into making requests. But accepting his request would produce very big problems, that's all.

I'm monitoring this post constantly, every day, to read all your posts and take note of every doable/interesting proposal you make. I'm very pleased about what's happening on this forum since I started my project and I'm very glad also to take into account your suggestions because I know they are being made with enthousiasm even if they're absolutely impossible to satisfy. But in the end, to be realistic, we have to do a some work on filtering what can be done from this discussion... making that forum public would totally break this purpose.
    Last edited by Zarathos; May 22, 2014 at 05:57 PM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Here is another proposal of mine, giving officers and generals any animation we want.

I know that thread (by Argantonio), I almost know it by heart. It was very helpful for me, unfortunately it was created for M2TW and not for Kingdoms, so some things have been changed meanwhile by CA developers.
    I'll try to contact those guys, I hope we can set up a small working team of at least 5 persons, because if we can split up the tasks and work together we should go very fast.
    Could someone post the link to this thread? I would very much like to review it. Thanks.
    The doctor will siege you now.

While I don't know if this is the right place to ask, I am willing to be a beta tester in this. I'm definitely not a programmer but I'm fairly competent with changing registry values and the like if needed.

So keep calm, and stay tuned!

aaand hello nightmare fuel.... O_O

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Good Lord! Just as I thought I would never see another person like Briarius and Argantonio again, we get to have TWO grand scale projects that can circumvent the tricky legal issues, delve into the framework of the game engine and shape the parameters to our desires! Verily, this is an extraordinary achievement and milestone in the history of M2TW and RTW modding! Congratulations!

Finally, the long awaited day of getting back the berserker (especially this!), testudo, and RTW-style phalanx unit attributes is arriving soon! Many thanks, and good luck in your exceptional endeavours!
    Last edited by BM309K58SMERCH; May 22, 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Domesticus

Hello!

What memory files you need to check/edit with a hexadecimal editor?

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Crociato78 View Post
    What memory files you need to check/edit with a hexadecimal editor?
    It's not really an hexadecimal editor what you need, unless you can completely read and understand processor instructions out of a panel filled with raw hexadecimal bytes, it's a bit more complicated than this
    Hexadecimal editors are good for investigating file formats and maybe make small changes, but not for changing big chunks of an executable.

Domesticus

Ok!

I get it!

Reminds me of when they said there would be no mod support for Battlefield 3 because it was supposedly too complicated. Modders continually disprove that kind of assertion with their cleverness.

Actually i pretty open to what you guys plan, i have every confidence you guys can make Rome2 and CA look totally lame!

Awaiting progress ..

R
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo