Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    So apparently these guys started before or at the same time doing the same thing to RTW. Now that's some strange coincidence.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing
    Came here to say the exact same thing.

What's with the Direwolf?

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Thanks guys for all your message and for the reputation. I hope I can produce some good result soon. At present we are setting up the group, organizing the team and defining the tasks that have to be done. That's why I think it's very early to go on with heavy suggestions as we still have to analyze the executable and see what can and can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Came here to say the exact same thing.
    A total coincidence. Hahah! In fact the author of that project contacted me as soon as I started this thread telling me he was planning to do something similar for RTW. It's a very good coincidence in fact, because it can provide synergies for both projects since RTW and M2TW share a very similar engine. We are going to help each other and everything will keep on going quicker

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    A total coincidence. Hahah! In fact the author of that project contacted me as soon as I started this thread telling me he was planning to do something similar for RTW. It's a very good coincidence in fact, because it can provide synergies for both projects since RTW and M2TW share a very similar engine. We are going to help each other and everything will keep on going quicker
    Exactly!

Thanks guys for all your message and for the reputation. I hope I can produce some good result soon. At present we are setting up the group, organizing the team and defining the tasks that have to be done. That's why I think it's very early to go on with heavy suggestions as we still have to analyze the executable and see what can and can't be done.
    This news is absolutely amazing and a godsend since I've realized MTW2 may be TW's pinnacle (since it was so moddable, and now potentially much more so), if Rome 2 is any indication. This memory-mod is probably the "loophole" we needed for the hardcore community to add many of the things wanted to MTW2 for all these years!

I will spread the word to help you as much as possible, thank you so much.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

This is amazing. Having more factions could be so amazing, this could mean no more vanilla rebels. We could add 1 province factions like netherlands.

But more important this could add shadow factions to all factions, ala barons alliance of britania. Every large faction could be trifed with full on rebellion.

My god... we now have the potential to make the greatest mods ever. I'm almost shaking.

Give this to the chinese modding community!

great news,hope they find the wright people too make this come true!thanks ca and twc.

Senator

Is it possible to fix the pike walls and let them have secondary weapons without using them immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    This is amazing. Having more factions could be so amazing, this could mean no more vanilla rebels. We could add 1 province factions like netherlands.

But more important this could add shadow factions to all factions, ala barons alliance of britania. Every large faction could be trifed with full on rebellion.
    Wow that sounds epic.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    There is a height limit that is possibly in the FAQ or Wiki but I don't remember right now.
    Yes we already know about it and it is one of the main goals to be reached. With the hardcoded limit, you can move your units on mountains on campaign map but battles generated there will always get flat terrain, so breaking this limit is really necessary, I want to fight battles in TATW with my dwarven units above mountains, well, who dont?

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice1987 View Post
    Great news,

Can you add the Testudo from RTW to Medieval 2 with this new feature?
    Another main goal, the testudo entries are inside the .exe I've checked it, but it is somewayhow blocked, the team need to look into rome1 exe and see if we can find the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    So can we easily script the newer features of Rome 2 like form confederacy, war target Et al?
    Not easly, probably impossible. THEY ARE NOT MAKING A NEW GAME, JUST CHANING SOME VALUES.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Even if you can create single unit comprised of one man, other than Sauron, why would you do so? Sure the player can micromanage the unit by including cavalry to protect the King on the battlefield, but the AI will lose even MORE named characters if it's one man, right?
    Single man per unit is ABSOLUTELLY NECESSARY, we are talking about balrog, sauron, treebeard, generic trolls, generic bigger orcs etc. Those guys will be even stronger than a unit with 150 man, in fact you need an entire army to defeat sauron itself.

A smaller workable alternative launcher would be excellent instead of something perfect to satisfy everyone in two years, right?
    Yes, I belive that after 3 or 4 broken limits its time to release a 1.0 version.

On my wish list, I'd love if not only could you mute the music, but could halt it from being called at all, and instead play music in the background. A small program like Winamp could play whatever MP3s you desired instead of the same old music over and over again. Sure you can mute it, but the program is still calling it and running it, so it's using up resources. Some really beautiful music has been written for mods, but after the fifth time hearing the same song, it gets monotonous. Instead you could mix and match it based upon mood, as long as the program wasn't trying to access that same song in the mod folder or the main program from your hard drive endlessly.
    You can already add as many music pieces as you want, this had been always possible in med2, nothing to do with the .exe thing here.

GIVE US TESTUDO FORMATION NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Give this to the chinese modding community!
    I agreed with this, but should not it be more "clean" to just invite them to our forums so they could give a hand?

what is the chinese modding community?

Whats with all this '' legal '' stuff? If the game is ours, we own it, and can modify it to ourselves to our liking, I suppose this is okay. It should be at least. Its not like we are selling copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles Lacedaemon View Post
    Whats with all this '' legal '' stuff? If the game is ours, we own it, and can modify it to ourselves to our liking, I suppose this is okay. It should be at least. Its not like we are selling copies.
    The issue comes with sharing what you have changed. Sharing the exe is illegal and piracy. Using the exe yourself is of course legal. The exe is "the" essential part of M2TW near every other associated file can be shared freely AFAIK, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles Lacedaemon View Post
    I suggest you read the End User License Agreemment that you agreed to install it and the portion quoted in the OP.

I realize some countries' laws look on this differently but with the server being in the US and US laws apply, and Moderation will apply the "Illegal Activities" portion of Terms of Service to enforce it.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

For what it's worth, I've made a post at the Org, and sent messages to some of the more prominant Let's Play-ers of Total War games, asking them to please read the thread and spread the good word.

Irishron - any chance this'll make TWC front page?

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by UndrState View Post
    Irishron - any chance this'll make TWC front page?
    If Zarathos would make a request I don't see why not.

OMG thanks Makrell for the idea, how awesome would be a map full of factions even if they'd have some generic/reskinned units at first and many shadow factions, Europa Universalis style into TW Increasing faction limit should really be a priority
    Last edited by Vipman; May 20, 2014 at 01:54 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Content has been asked. Let's hope so.

Maybe give the Rome1 one a free plug, too.

Have a good work, men.

Long life to Medieval II Total War!

Yep, I can see single units for the EDU for LOTR, but will the AI end up doing suicidal charges and having those single units die too easily? I could see single units to be spawned as a kind of grudge duel for standard MTW2 Kingdoms too, but using a single unit in a standard mod would just end up dying too easily since you'd have to micromanage their movements PLUS the AI probably couldn't do it effectively. Think of the duel as a tournament between two knights, who get spawned into some terrain and battle, but then you have to script setting the demeanor because it would put kingdoms at war. Then one probably survives and what do you do with that single unit then?

Re the music, while a 100 plus song list would be welcome, or a minimod that would do that (with easy shuffling) and would be welcome, I'd rather just turn off the music by toggling a button on the launcher and listened to whatever music suits me instead of getting the same old tunes playing over and over.

Leo, I play a ton of custom battles. In many mods you can configure a custom battle on any spot as long as you can do a reasonable show_cursorstat, then plug that in as a custom battle location. I think the map heights in the Third Age mod are a bit off and that's why the custom battle locations don't match up with the map depiction versus what you see at that map coordinate point. I once sat down and literally found a 100 unique map coordinate points on the vanilla map, made an atlas of what you would see if fighting there (both defensive and offensive sides) and it matched up very well. There are some rather spectacular mountain battles in passes or on cliffs where cavalry can actually be momentarily aloft by charging down a peak. That doesn't work in the Third Age map though.

So regardless if a terrain is mapped as impassable or not, as long as you play with the show_cursorstat and plug this into the battle editor to take a peek, then you can configure it for a custom battle quite easily.

Re the shadow factions and multiple Baron's Alliances, I always thought that the way the game should end would be a revolt when the player ended up playing 400 plus turns and then having to fight their own units that they had carefully nurtured while also building up those settlements in ways that the AI isn't clever enough. One giant Baron's Alliance versus the player as the end game, literally fighting the nemesis that you spawned over those turns.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; May 20, 2014 at 04:31 PM.