Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Domesticus

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Some discovery?

I can say that the limits have been able to overcome / change our programmers?

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Can this method be used to pull any of the hardcoded values outside of the exe. For instance would be possible to have a txt config to tweak certain values that modders would be interested in, such as maximum number of ancillaries?
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Don't know if as simple as a txt, but essentially yes, it would probably rise the number of ancillaries.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Things are being raised by a fixed amount. If we raise regions, for example, we will raise them by 100, 200, 1000 or whatever, but it will be the same for everyone because we must grant total compatibility. If you can set CFG values, then what will happen when, with your +200 regions CFG, you start playing with a mod that uses and implemented +400 regions? Are you going to ask to the mod leader how many regions they have so you can adjust your CFG value? Looks like a really, really confusing way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Don't know if as simple as a txt, but essentially yes, it would probably rise the number of ancillaries.
    Dude, please, take no offence... but this is the second post in a row in which you just drop the bomb speaking about things you absolutely don't know. Be prudent about this kind of things
    Last edited by Zarathos; May 30, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Nah, well not trying to drop bombs or anything, just what I deduce/imagine it could be. I mean, yes, I don't know how are you working but it could be fairly easy to read some values from a .txt, however yes, I don't know your methodology but if I where doing that I would definitively try to do something like it at least for easiness of testing then hard code it for release for the compatibility issues you mention.

As for ancillaries I suppose rising them it's possible unless it's barred by some UI related issue. Just taking a guess.

Anyway no offense taken pal. I'm still very interested in helping, where I sign in or send in the resume or whatever?
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    Things are being raised by a fixed amount. If we raise regions, for example, we will raise them by 100, 200, 1000 or whatever, but it will be the same for everyone because we must grant total compatibility. If you can set CFG values, then what will happen when, with your +200 regions CFG, you start playing with a mod that uses and implemented +400 regions? Are you going to ask to the mod leader how many regions they have so you can adjust your CFG value? Looks like a really, really confusing way to go.

Dude, please, take no offence... but this is the second post in a row in which you just drop the bomb speaking about things you absolutely don't know. Be prudent about this kind of things
    Thank you for the response, but I think i wasn't clear enough with what I want to say.

Ok so say with this memory editing you have the ability to modify experience points, armor upgrades, how much damage AP attribute does, kills til exp level, fatigue effects, and so forth.

Modders ideally would love to be able to modify these values to tailor it their own mod, since many mods have different thoughts on unit balancing these values wouldn't be something that would be universal in all mods.

So I was wondering if modders will get the ability to tweak these features to tailor it their own mod.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

I wonder, would it be possible to make naval battles work as land battles, so if you'd create a special map and the units you could actually have naval battles in the campaign?

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

poor Zarathos...lol

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

This sounds so damn promising Zarathos, one of the biggest things for M2.

I wish I could help, but I have zero knowledge about this matter, but I do wish you luck with the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    This sounds so damn promising Zarathos, one of the biggest things for M2.

I wish I could help, but I have zero knowledge about this matter, but I do wish you luck with the project.
    One the biggest things for TW in general, since I'm holding my breadth on the upcoming Warhammer (because of Rome 2's release state *and* current state). Imagine Rage of the Dark Gods with even better AI or wallpathing, and other little enhancements. I'm not expecting different mod, but I hope this can help my favorite mod as well!

Foederatus

wow my BEST congratulations to Zarathos and team for opening a NEW challenging era of M2TW.
    Thanks to ALL supporters like who are STILL in love with M2TW despite new graphics of Rome 2.

As for my requests I am just wondering if we could implement something I have always dreamt of...

---------- 1 multiple roads
    all knows editors can design roads for campaign map...
    all knows the road structure can make it "appear" into a region after completion..

what I wonder if it would be possible to introduce MORE road structures for the same town EACH representing a "different" road connection..

Example: think to Rome
    At the beginning there are no roads. You rule the town and your governor decides to issue to road structure to game town interface.
    Usually on the following turn you will see roads appearing into campaign maps alla around Rome AS it was designed by editors.

What I am asking is that now three different road structures may be "available" for Rome. Name them as Road1, Road2, Road3.
    Then once you complete Road1 structure in Rome then you will make it appear a road from Rome to Florence into campaign map.
    After you succesfully completed Road2 you then see a new road next to the previous one, this time linking Rome to Neaple.
    Road3 will maybe link Rome to Ancona, just to make an example.

All roads were designed at editing time.
    They may have different cost according the distance (design choice) and they will be managed same way currently roads are...
    that is they speed travel time, they are drawn inside Rome region, they link to border regions only and of course theymatch corresponding ones into border regions. Also they increase trade benefits and so on..

------------2 watch towers to disappear
    Next there is something we have always waited for...will finally watch tower be destructible??

------------ 3 no ghost turrets firing
    Last dream would be get rid of "no men" turrets firing into sieges. Put there men otherwise I do not expect turrets to have fire!
    someone already suggested that here, thanks to him.

Last question..
    --------------- 4 one man unit
    I am not english so I am not sure my understanding here is complete. Many talked about this feature here and I got the impression we will be able to design units like that in campaign map.
    Usually I can see this units also in vanilla...they are units coming from merging operations. I know 1 men units won't survive a battle. Are you talking about this? do you mean you are aiming to have such units surviving a battle?
    I am not sure but what I would like to see is to have BATTLE EDITOR modified with such feature...and not only...
    I mean...desigining a custom battle, doesn't allow a player to choose number of men into a unit. Result is that you can NEVER design a "battle" representing "results" of a previous battle....
    we are all concerned with "campaign"...but think to custom battles only..and think to a set of three battles...where second starts with results of a previous one..at least for one faction..

may your job here help to let people either "load" battle result file for a basis of a new battle or at least just edit number of men for each new unit?

Also...should we have a chance to stop custom battle editor preventing you from creating a battle where you as the Bizantines may fight against...Bizantines as well? (maybe with a chance to edit their main color?)

whatever your answer to all 4 questions EVERYTHING that will come from this work will be A NEW ERA for ALL of us..thank you guys!!!!

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs
    -Height limit for terrain (battlemap is flattered beyound 80+ height, thats why battles above mountains will load totlly flat battlemaps)
    Alternatively you could edit the descr_terrain.txt file by changing the max_land_height and then amending the strat to battle scale (in the geography.DB)
    You would of course have to reset the min_sea_height field also to avoid sea triangles.

Just need to ensure the Battlemap height calculations remain within the cap of (approx)

The 80+ bit you are talking about is tied to the blackening of the radar map but it still tied around the same calculations (probably the variations in the geography.DB are taking the actual battle map calculation above that cap.

3000 (cap) < strat TGA value / 255 * max_land_height * strat to battle scale

If you get me controlling a army of 20K , i would marry you.

Oh wow - this could change things in many big ways.
    Just found this due to Greymane's reference in the MOS submod thread.
    Crazy exciting. For starters maybe more regions and factions.
    Good luck Zarathos and team.

Civis

First of all , request for this to be made a sticky.

Second of all, PLEASE enable the multiplayer campaign (hotseat right now)
    to have battles like in the newer total wars.
    For example ; if you cannot do a full multiplayer campaign mod,
    (would also require setup of a fan-run server)
    please allow for a automated way for players to record the results of a custom battle against each other,
    and have these results inputted into the campaign as the results of an autoresolve PVP/allied PVE fight like we have now.

If there is no way to make the game go from a hotseat campaign battle in which 2+ players factions enter battle
    straight to playing a custom battle with appropriate units , upgrades and conditions selected ,
    then at least add a more advanced way to cheat autoresolve , perhaps with an interface,
    where players can dictate to the game the exact number of casualties and the like.

The ideal way would be to creat something akin to the Skyrim multiplayer mod,
    where people actually managed to turn skyrim into a multiplayer game.
    Well, adding as much of the multiplayer campaign from the new total wars as you can.

Thank You.
    Attila: Total War TWC benchmark thread - New results included - last content update 14.03.2015

I think some people are confusing memory editing with source code. It allows mass production of some stuff that was previously only available for those with special knowledge to do privately, it's not a miracle machine.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    Alternatively you could edit the descr_terrain.txt file by changing the max_land_height and then amending the strat to battle scale (in the geography.DB)
    You would of course have to reset the min_sea_height field also to avoid sea triangles.

Just need to ensure the Battlemap height calculations remain within the cap of (approx)

The 80+ bit you are talking about is tied to the blackening of the radar map but it still tied around the same calculations (probably the variations in the geography.DB are taking the actual battle map calculation above that cap.

3000 (cap) < strat TGA value / 255 * max_land_height * strat to battle scale
    I swear by God I had a loud laugh when I saw this post because one more time I CANNOT UNDERSTAND EVEN A WORD of what you're saying wilddog!
    Not right if it is because I have absolutelly no familiarity with these files (and these specific bits of descr_geography) or if it is just because Im too limited, you make me feel dumb.

Could you please rewrite it in a mortal leangue?, be gentle please, (mak please dont let him scold me! ):

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by revan.be View Post
    First of all , request for this to be made a sticky.

Second of all, PLEASE enable the multiplayer campaign (hotseat right now)
    to have battles like in the newer total wars.
    For example ; if you cannot do a full multiplayer campaign mod,
    (would also require setup of a fan-run server)
    please allow for a automated way for players to record the results of a custom battle against each other,
    and have these results inputted into the campaign as the results of an autoresolve PVP/allied PVE fight like we have now.

If there is no way to make the game go from a hotseat campaign battle in which 2+ players factions enter battle
    straight to playing a custom battle with appropriate units , upgrades and conditions selected ,
    then at least add a more advanced way to cheat autoresolve , perhaps with an interface,
    where players can dictate to the game the exact number of casualties and the like.

The ideal way would be to creat something akin to the Skyrim multiplayer mod,
    where people actually managed to turn skyrim into a multiplayer game.
    Well, adding as much of the multiplayer campaign from the new total wars as you can.

Thank You.
    yes, please...
    yes, please...
    yes, PLEASE!

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs
    I swear by God I had a loud laugh when I saw this post because one more time I CANNOT UNDERSTAND EVEN A WORD of what you're saying wilddog!
    Not right if it is because I have absolutelly no familiarity with these files (and these specific bits of descr_geography) or if it is just because Im too limited, you make me feel dumb.

Could you please rewrite it in a mortal leangue?, be gentle please, (mak please dont let him scold me! ):
    Its OK Leo, Mak has just 'explained' that what you asked for wasn't really what you meant anyway. Also this isn't really a thread on mapping and scaling.

I've always wondered why CA placed such constraints like 200 regions limit, 500 EDU entries and etc, i guess we'll soon find out with this

RTW guys doing the same managed to push regions limit to 1000, i hope m2tw can get it further
    Last edited by Melooo182; June 03, 2014 at 09:32 AM.