Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The "New" Frontier of M2TW Modding: Memory Editing

Zarathos, you are a modding god among modding men.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to
    (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

As somebody with a decent amount of programming experience, I'd just like to congratulate you for the mind-boggling amount you've achieved. At first I was thinking you were doing something like a trainer and just modifying the memory the engine uses, but I read further into it...

And you are modifying the executable while it's stored in memory?!?! Truly, you are either a madman or a genius! Or both!

Congratulations again, and while I'd love to help I've got no memory hacking experience. Maybe you can make a plugin api for code to be inserted and make the next generation of mods for Medieval 2 available! Now just wait a couple of years done the line and somebody will follow your example and do the same for TWR2

The only thing I'd prefer would be OpenTTD for Total War, but this is far more than enough to keep me happy for the next decade. I wish you good luck - you've given yourself a huge task yet already achieved what should be impossible.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Jox25 View Post
    Guys, dont forget that Zarathos only patching memory, not remaking game engine. The easiest he can do is remake limits such as EDU, culture, hr, factions, EDB, regions, religions limits.
    Not quite. He's patching the game engine itself in memory Pretty much means he can modify the .exe in short term while it's instructions are loaded up, then replace, remove or add onto portions of it which is 100% legal because it never actually modifies the .exe, it just modifies the instructions taken from the .exe while they are stored in RAM.

To the point: There's no limit to what he can achieve really, besides from time and effort. A whole lot of time and effort, granted
    Last edited by Causeless; May 19, 2014 at 05:50 PM.

I dont know how programming but i wish this can help you to spread the word (tell me if you want more/better looking it's a just small exersise, i would do it gladly):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Banners:

if you see an english mistake tell me because my native langage is french and you know some fact about french mens and english langage =)
    Last edited by eloniel; May 20, 2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added spoiler

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Hahahah nice job dude!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

@eloniel, I like them but for a sig, watch the size, 256kb max.

All sigs are under 200kb so that would be good.

Do you have them uploaded and a link?

Very long time lurker here; I finally registered just to say how exciting this project looks. All good wishes to you, boss. I believe the entire community here would stand to benefit immensely from you and yours work.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Do you have them uploaded and a link?
    You have just to right click on them and copy the picture link, pictures are already uploaded on hosting pics.

Thank you.

Promised after I stop off topic but the previous slogan seem uncomplete so a second version:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by eloniel; May 20, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

There is a height limit that is possibly in the FAQ or Wiki but I don't remember right now.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Signatures are bound to a 550×175 pixel box automatically, with anything outside of that being cut off. The maximum file size of all signature images may not exceed 250 KB according to the current TOS.

So apparently these guys started before or at the same time doing the same thing to RTW. Now that's some strange coincidence.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing
    Last edited by Vipman; May 20, 2014 at 01:06 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

well that's good news indeed, finally some of the weirdest things we have seen so far will be solved

well done my friend
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Vipman View Post
    So apparently these guys started before or at the same time doing the same thing to RTW. Now that's some strange coincidence.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing
    Yes, a good day for both games.

Senator

Eloniel,

You spelt modding wrong.

Great news,

Can you add the Testudo from RTW to Medieval 2 with this new feature?

Sorry for yesterday banners issue, i was not in great shape when i uploaded the pict in france it was 2 am ^^
    i fixed issues, the misspelt of modding on lannister and the size of banners the current version work but you need to add the new picture link just like you already did.

We need to touch as many people as possible so i will do other sigs related to ME2TW just like GOT for Westeros total war and Lord of the ring for Third Age, but i need brain wave. So, if someone have ideas for catchy slogan or visual inspiration just tell me =)

Senator

So can we easily script the newer features of Rome 2 like form confederacy, war target Et al?

Maybe the ancillary limit could be raised, but in actuality it's better for a modder to create traits as ancillaries since there are levels of traits. In that way instead of a master archer, you could have a trait that you acquired a follower for a named character and he got better in time, but then declined as he aged. Almost all ancillaries could be done away with except for titles and historical ancillaries. This is probably better than upping the amount of ancillaries. A simple way would be layers of nobility when a commander or when a governor or both and so the named character gets specified ancillaries as traits adding up, and then you don't have to worry about the AI managing all of that by visiting the correct settlements. See?

Adding lots of units would significantly help in the EDU because then you actually could have levels of warriors up to soldiers to professional soldiers and still have only twenty units on the screen. You don't want to create lag on purpose. Even if you can create single unit comprised of one man, other than Sauron, why would you do so? Sure the player can micromanage the unit by including cavalry to protect the King on the battlefield, but the AI will lose even MORE named characters if it's one man, right?

Adding lots of regions would be great as that means balanced division of settlements such that tiny England can have 8-10 settlements while France could have far more. The New World could have lots and lots of tiny villages of Native Americans and Mestizos in Central and South America. As it stands now, the land mass is skewed because of the region limit. Sometimes it gets really crazy in world map games where the territory is HUGE but comprised of a handful of settlements due to the limit.

A smaller workable alternative launcher would be excellent instead of something perfect to satisfy everyone in two years, right?

On my wish list, I'd love if not only could you mute the music, but could halt it from being called at all, and instead play music in the background. A small program like Winamp could play whatever MP3s you desired instead of the same old music over and over again. Sure you can mute it, but the program is still calling it and running it, so it's using up resources. Some really beautiful music has been written for mods, but after the fifth time hearing the same song, it gets monotonous. Instead you could mix and match it based upon mood, as long as the program wasn't trying to access that same song in the mod folder or the main program from your hard drive endlessly.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; May 20, 2014 at 09:44 AM.