Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

So far the answer for both has been "No comment", essentially "maybe", from the modding summits. There is also this said: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1128467

We remain completely in support of all our modders, things are happening behind the scenes which will benefit modding community, but it’s SO far away from being something we can talk about in any capacity, if we start any discussion about it now it could, not only hurt modding but kill ‘things’ before they have even been finished.

The absence of a response is not the absence of action.
    Remember that the Shogun 2 map editor came long after Shogun 2 itself came out, so I'd hold out hope for Rome 2 for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    So far the answer for both has been "No comment", essentially "maybe", from the modding summits. There is also this said: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1128467

Remember that the Shogun 2 map editor came long after Shogun 2 itself came out, so I'd hold out hope for Rome 2 for quite a while.
    That's very dissapointing on CA's behalf , I loved the huge maps and sheer staggering amount of cities in RTR platnium.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Ok. Just receive and repack the latest files. Good thing, save game still work even with few changes to startpos. Bad thing is that some text is missing. As the text stuff can be corrected and upload later maybe I'll upload the compatible patch on workshop first.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Decanus

yah, it certainly is save game compatible.

I wanted to quickly point out that, I am playing on legendary and I'm pretty much stomping my way around everywhere; factions don't seem to be preparing militarily, enough, for my advances and even though I am Junia (who's got a diplomatic negative all around) I seem to be able to get whatever I want and there hasn't been any opportunistic attacks on my domain. I've got a heck of a lot of money to work with, very many armies, and very many agents.

Although this is perhaps realistic, since, this is the era of Rome's advancement and indeed, Rome was fairly unstoppable militarily in its advance... I'm worried that I'm setting myself up to be unstoppable indefinitely. I would think about reducing armies per imperium by 1 or 2, increasing general and agent skill points required for rank increase, and perhaps increasing the cost for agent recruitment by about 25%

I absolutely love all the new mechanics, but this doesn't feel hard enough, not for legendary anyway.

ps: general and agent ranks feel more precious when they take longer to obtain. vanilla values were sickeningly fast, but I don't think you've increased the tier levels enough, especially given that skills and ancillaries are improved in R2TR.

pps: tooo many deployables! My unit cards UI went to double row to accommodate deployables in a small settlement battle.
    Last edited by La Tene; June 01, 2014 at 10:29 PM.

From what i have read around this mod sounds good i didn't had time to test it properly. My personal problem is that i enjoy the campaign first 50-60 turns then i find game boring and i must start another campaign. The problem is that i never play long enough to do the research for last tier of troops because is to much time and also by the time i do it is not much fun left. Have u consider to add tier 4 troops early and do upgrades on them only, also best tier 1/army in early period and so on.
    On 2nd tought have you consider to spread ressources on the map more realistic if possible.

upgrade paths are a bit different for Romans than they are for others. Romans have 3 different tiers of infantry, early Polybian infantry, replaced by Marian infantry and at last Imperial Infantry. We also have unique upgrade between these reforms, as old units are not upgraded to new type units, but they are converted into veteran infantry/evocati units, which are impossible to recruit anywhere.. their benefit is simple - base stats are slightly higher, but main advantage is their experience they got up to this point. negative is their upkeep which is quite high, which will force player to disband some veterans (especially those without significant experience), as you can recruit new units much cheaper...

This addition gives player something to rot for in late game, while his veteran troops will get upgraded into true elite units that are irreplaceable.

Other factions dont have this type of reform implemented yet, but there will be some changes to recruitment in the future making certain units available sooner - for example, Macedonian Companions, normal pikemen etc.. Hellenic factions will also receive several new units simulating Romanization Reform which occurred after 160BC, when Hellenic rullers started to field Roman type legions on their own - not just equipment but also their organisation structure and tactics..

This is one thing that always breaks the immersion for me. The world you enter in 272BC does not feel like a fully formed world. There should be large armies, full of veteran troops. You should be able to recruit all the units that are available at that time straight from the start. Restrictions should be in place in other ways, like recruitment slots etc. I hate the gamey start game restrictions.

Think Empire starting units/armies vs Napoleon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1973 View Post
    This is one thing that always breaks the immersion for me. The world you enter in 272BC does not feel like a fully formed world. There should be large armies, full of veteran troops. You should be able to recruit all the units that are available at that time straight from the start. Restrictions should be in place in other ways, like recruitment slots etc. I hate the gamey start game restrictions.

Or previous incarnations of RTR, even.

any feedback on modified out shield animations, and javelin throws improvements?

necronox's Avatar ▬▬ι═══════- -═══════ιι▬

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    any feedback on modified out shield animations, and javelin throws improvements?
    they seem fine to me. sometimes they don't lifts the shields at all, which looks a little weird, and sometimes they do, this might be related to another (not related issue) which might have caused the glitching for the shields, not sure - just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy1973 View Post

I agree completely with that. i liked the large starting army you had in RSII for start campaign, especially that already set up battle with rome.

also, i had not noticed before, but i was playing a rome II campaign and seeing how rebels had been worked, (i caused some rebels in southern italy/sicily), the rebels have start with rank 4, it took me two full stack army (roughly 3000-4000 men) to bring down a rebel army with 12 units. plus, the short moving range and the long recruitement time makes rebels way to OP. personnaly i would think if it was a slave rebellion it would start with lots of very low quality units (such as levies) with perhaps next to no experiences (except for one or two), while if it was a non-slave revolt, it should start with a couple powerful but not experienced units, and any that join afterwards should be of lower quality. although i'm not sure if that is possible, perhaps through extensive scripts but i'm not familiar with scripting.

by the way, the forced marche give no benefit and give you bad effect actually (since they still seem to apply), not sure if this is intended but i have seen AI navies and armies using this, which is now horrendously useless as it make you army worse.

not so much of a comment as a question, but is there a limit of times a unit can be broken before it gets 'shattered', since i noticed it always happened after the second 'brake'. while on topic of battles, i find they are way too many deployables - i think this has been commented on before. with the amount of barricades you can easily create a funnel for the enemy, especially when fighting carthage (and thus elephants) which you can combine this funnel with spikes to form a no-through zone for elephants and cavalry (which still charge right into them....)

another idea, why not make traps and spikes and such also give friendly fire? i'm not sure if this is/was already implemented never looked into it, just thought of it now.
    Last edited by necronox; June 03, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

I thoroughly enjoy playing this mod. It actually keeps me playing as opposed to getting bored. Only recent experience has been with Rome and the Julia family. I just wanted to comment that I noticed a macedonian army using forced march which when I moved to attack it, brought up an immediate ambush. If the forced march stance has zero benefits, I do not think the CAI should use it because it basically would have given me a free ambush battle with no benefit of the extra distance. Thanks for the mod and keep up the good work.

I want to know if it's possible to make custom maps or alter the existing one in any way (even with great difficulty and probably not worth doing)

Decanus

I agree that rebel armies should not be ranked, especially slave rebels. It's unrealistic, in fact, slave rebels should be their own unit type ie: slaves - of course, slave rebellions can also be lead or supplemented by regular troops but it seems to me that creating an actual slave unit type for rebellions would improve realism.

I disagree, however, that the rebels are OP'd - I've been playing on legendary and I've had very little trouble, but lots of fun, crushing rebellions. That is probably because of my meticulous game play style, although I am probably not expanding as fast as the player that has struggled with rebellions.

3. I agree about the deployables, please just cut them down, a lot, guys

Decanus

Hey. I was thinking that maybe fortify should go back to requiring a full 50% move points, since, it is such a very powerful stance, and, in terms of realism, it feels more realistic that an army would use half its seasonal efforts on erecting these defenses... I've played many turns at 25% move points and expansion feels too easy now.....

I also suggest reducing armies per imperium and slowing down trait gain for characters! Rome 2 has a very much expanded number of effects that each character ends up with.. honestly, it becomes a burden trying to keep track of all the effects in order to know where to deploy my agents and generals where they should be. If trait gain was slowed I could focus on my skill assignments more, and if armies per imperium was lowered, I wouldn't feel obligated to recruit generals just for the sake of their effects. Fewer armies per imperium would also mean that my generals are more precious. I'm not sure if these suggestions fit with the the *realism* aspect exactly, but I think it would improve ease of play....

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by sneakythief View Post
    I'm not sure if these suggestions fit with the the *realism* aspect exactly, but I think it would improve ease of play....
    The introduction of dynamic unit caps (if it still works in Rome II) could simulate a simple manpower system. That's something I would consider realistic.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

We may have something interesting for the next update.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Tried a Julia campaign but put it down after about 40 turns because the CAI offered no challenge whatsoever. CAI is not aggressive, doesn't seem to build enough units or use them in campaign. I felt as though I could have played through the entire game and never had a battle that couldn't be easily auto-resolved.

I did like the happiness changes.

For some reason once I got to six units in my two fleets I was unable to recruit additional naval units. I enjoyed your naval battle changes though!

In land battles the routing seemed abrupt. I did like the pila changes though and the speed is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    We may have something interesting for the next update.
    why you tease us

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Tried a Julia campaign but put it down after about 40 turns because the CAI offered no challenge whatsoever. CAI is not aggressive, doesn't seem to build enough units or use them in campaign. I felt as though I could have played through the entire game and never had a battle that couldn't be easily auto-resolved.

I did like the happiness changes.

For some reason once I got to six units in my two fleets I was unable to recruit additional naval units. I enjoyed your naval battle changes though!

In land battles the routing seemed abrupt. I did like the pila changes though and the speed is better.
    I am certainly feeling the same way. I absolutely love the new campaign and battle mechanics but this is not challenging enough. I believe they've removed all artificial bonuses to the AI factions for realism ie: they don't get cheap troops or free food or anything like that. This feels much more realistic, true, but it also means campaigns are much easier. I actually have a solution to this that doesn't require re-introducing artificial handicaps; I plan to make a submod - I will limit units per army to 15 and increase their costs accordingly. It'll mean you'll be attempting to take settlements with smaller armies. I think slightly fewer armies per imperium could help too.

You were probably trying to recruit units from a province with low public order - this is a fantastic feature of R2TR (you can't recruit from an unhappy populace)

I keep my armies tight so as to mitigate the routing effect. This effect makes for a realistic sense of the spirit of battle, which is a constant fear of being slaughtered! These guys will keep tweaking battles I'm sure, and I personally think travel speeds on the battle map could be slowed a bit, and certain effects such as more delay to cavalry acceleration.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by sneakythief View Post
    You were probably trying to recruit units from a province with low public order - this is a fantastic feature of R2TR (you can't recruit from an unhappy populace)
    Interesting idea and agree it sounds great. However in my case I had fleet in Epidamnos which was recently captured, couldn't recruit there (understandably) so I sailed to Brindisi where public order was 100 and I still couldn't recruit there...feature may be bugged or something?