Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

i know, but fixed amounts are the only way to give you some money for all other opportunities but Looting... Looting alone can be defined as a portion of GDP

btw, with next version, we will give all siege defenders +50% of ammunition. Defenders usually did prepare themselves for siege, having additional ammo distributed over walls and stations was common practice. It also means that ranged unit value will increase in sieges... even those simple stone slingers who tend to do minimal damage will now be able to shoot for much longer to deal some additional damage..

A glitch: In Baktrian roster, Agema hoplitai are called "hippeis" and hippeis are called "hoplitai". Names have been swapped.
    "They make a desert, and call it peace" - Caledonian chieftain Calgacos' personal opinion about Pax Romana

Default Rome II Total Realism - Beta Feedback and Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    You should check the patch notes.

Current version is 1.4 released on 15 May 2014.
    Bro, pike VS pike battles need to be improved a bit, they are not facing eachother but rather poke eachothers flanks.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by BosnianKnight View Post
    Bro, pike VS pike battles need to be improved a bit, they are not facing eachother but rather poke eachothers flanks.
    Well, at least they know their weak spots.

Glad to see old RTW mods are making a comeback in R2TW. Makes for old players to want to relive the glory days once more.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by BosnianKnight View Post
    Please be more specific (and use feedback thread), what exactly you find problematic? AI decision to flank units is unmoddable. BAI is hardcoded, so there is no chance to change how AI behaves with units... if you meant something else please let us know with a bit more details.

Well, when the pikes go against eachother, the they meet, they lower their pikes, the enemy pikes walk to the right side, and then my pikes walk to the left side and they don't even turn the enemy but rather the enemy pokes my right.

hmm, i didnt had such issues in my testing battles.. but usually i always group all my pikemen into locked group and use them as one. then i just use my flank units to prevent AI to outflank my pikes.. AI going for flanks, thats hardcoded BAI script... not sure we could do anything about it.. maybe my changes to flank vulnerability made it more profound.. who knows.. i'll have to test.

Zonac's Avatar Miles

tried a custom battle with rome and saw that when the battle starts somehow especially units not in combat get odd animation bugs. e.g. a preatorian unit tried to take cover under there shilds and then get steady for a charge and then try to take cover again. this process heappens around 3-5 times in a secound and it looks like the unit was dancing to techno music... (unit was not threatend by a charge nor was under misslefire..) never saw that in vanilla nor DeI for example...
    I also found out that it was not unit specific. ( but I only tested roman ones...)
    I hope that this helps a bit.
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
    Alexander the Great

it usually happens when they are in range of some enemy ranged unit... (happened to me even in vanilla), not sure what could i do about it.. (i didn't changed those animations)

Zonac's Avatar Miles

oh OK that is strange.. maybe DeI team did something to avoid this (maybe this can be inclunded then if we ask nicely ;D)

also I wantet to suggest if it is possible to change the number of units which can be recruited in provinces (standard 3) to 1 per region? this would help the major faction at the start because they could recruit more unit per turn in the beginning, however it is not OP. The player and the minor AI faction have to be more strategic with there armies and conquests, because they have to live with a smaller recruitment "pool". also mercenarys woul have a much greater impact because they will really be needed to fill up the ranks more often. also it sounds more realistic to limit recruitment to the region than to the province , because now if you own a hole province with 4 regions you can recruit 3 units per turn but if 4 factions own that province then the province actually has a manpower to supply 12 units atm.

I am looking forward to hear from you JaM what you think about my idea
    I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
    Alexander the Great

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    hmm, i didnt had such issues in my testing battles.. but usually i always group all my pikemen into locked group and use them as one. then i just use my flank units to prevent AI to outflank my pikes.. AI going for flanks, thats hardcoded BAI script... not sure we could do anything about it.. maybe my changes to flank vulnerability made it more profound.. who knows.. i'll have to test.
    Ok, thanks bro, I more thing.
    The skirmish cavalry has in my opinion a slow reaction and they tend to charge the enemy and not fire at them.

Another thing that is hardcoded im afraid.. CA set the retreat distance quite widely, which is a problem if you give skirimsher cavalry realistic ranges as they will start running away before they can throw their javelins.. This makes all javelin armed cavalry almost useless as skirmishers.i tried several different approaches to avoid this, yet without success.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

I have not had the chance to test your beta yet (as I'm busy modding myself), but I just want to suggest for future development that if you plan to mod the uniform colours then please keep that part available separate from the rest of your package so that people like me (who've already worked hard on that kind of visual improvement, with a big update coming up, as previewed here) can use their own alternatives in that department but enjoy the well-known RTR quality in all other areas. That would be the best of two worlds for me. A modular approach of whatever R2TR will offer could be of interest to a lot of people. Similar to what Darth Vader used to offer with his DMs for Shogun 2.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Right now no such thing is planned, anyway, there is one small complication - there are few modified units that are a bit different than they were in vanilla, so any texture update that will use different variantmeshes will change these units back, which might cause problems..

For example, Celtic Skirmishers were converted into spear infantry ( but still kept as skirmishers), Iberians got thrusting swords instead of falcata for their heavy infantry (falcatas are reserved for skirmishers and cavalry), Germanic scout raiders got longer swords instead of daggers (i would like to know who came with that idea... using dagger on horseback... lol), while they will most likely be changed into standard spear cavalry later (Germans didnt used swords that much... spear/javelin was their weapon of choice)

I have also removed swords from Pikemen and gave them daggers (every historians mentioning Pikemen mentioned them being armed with short dagger like swords, so they stood no chance against Roman Gladius in close combat, yet CA knows better...)

I will make a list of all such changes so anyone who wants to create graphical enhancement mod could adjust for these changes.

Let me add one thing - in next version there will be complete rework of morale setup. I had to rework few levels which were ignored due to different way CA made them in R2, originally i thought they accept both % or fixed value but that was my mistake..
    I have also reworked all penalties, making the holding formation quite beneficial - in vanilla having flanks not covered was just an insignificant thing, in R2TR keeping formation intact and covering all flanks with reserves will be much more important, anyway to not make things worse for skirmishers who commonly fight with flanks not protected, i have reduced the range at which enemy troops are taken into consideration.
    Also, due to fact every projectile now has own special effect defined, which also contain morale penalties, i have removed morale penalties from morale table, so units are no longer penalized twice for being hit by single projectile.

Next beta will contain small changes to unit abilities, especially ones used by skirmishers - precise shot which increases accuracy by 50% while decreasing rate of fire (again 50%), and rapid reload, which increases reload, and penalizes accuracy, will now be unlimited, which means they can be active indefinitely. Both abilities contain also important penalties, therefore there is no need to limit their use to short period of time. It practically means that with your archers you will be able to chose how you want to use them - either as area bombardment weapon, or as precise weapons with limited rate of fire. neither of these abilities will make your unit suddenly unbeatable, but if used right, these abilities can provide good advantage (like for example using archers on walls with precise shot active will conserve ammo for longer, or using rapid reload when aiming at huge block of enemy infantry, you can sacrifice accuracy for extra few shots fired..)

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism (CORE) Pack Beta 1.4150514 Released

Great mod - some issues I've encountered that I'm not sure are intentional or not:
    - Can't force march on land, works fine on water. If you force march from water onto land you do get the force march you would expect
    - Additional unit ranks granted for building improvements have no effect, meaning other than unlocking units and providing garrisons is pointless to upgrade. Intentional?
    - Research rate seems a bit odd. I expect it to take longer as you have extended the number of turns but increasing research rate through buildings has no effect on actual research time. Intentional?

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Another thing that is hardcoded im afraid.. CA set the retreat distance quite widely, which is a problem if you give skirimsher cavalry realistic ranges as they will start running away before they can throw their javelins.. This makes all javelin armed cavalry almost useless as skirmishers.i tried several different approaches to avoid this, yet without success.
    Ok.

Hi ,just started new campain as Rome (battles very hard+ realism). First battle Legio II + Legio IV vs Etruscan League (8vs7 units). AI is just waiting in the middle of the map and not even try to take beter positions (he just turn his whole army to my flanking movements, eventually charge me up hill get easy flanked and anihilated. It realy take all the joy from the battle .Is it common for AI to wait in the middle of the map while defending?

Guys, please keep in mind battle AI is hardcoded and there is nothing in our power to improve it... AI defending badly is something we have no chance to cure. It is completely in CA hands..

Artifex

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism (CORE) Pack

Quote Originally Posted by 14182 View Post
    Yes, please keep english names or revise the names into their native language at once for the sake of consistency. To me the game looks totally broken when the unit names and cards are in several different styles at the same time.
    Might I suggest the following compromise?
    Unit name: native language
    Short description: English name and some info about the unit's role on the battlefield
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai