Thread: Suggestion: Recruitment lowers Growth

Grimaldus's Avatar Libertus

Default Suggestion: Recruitment lowers Growth

How about this? Is it even moddable? I think you could edit the Recruitment-Stance.
    That would make mercenaries even more attractive.
    Anyhow, great mod, thanks for your work. You guys saved my 60 Euros i spend for this game, CA should hire you guys and fire the old ones.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default Re: Suggestion: Recruitment lowers Growth

its moddable in one or the other way. since recruitment should actually eat up population it doesn't really create a satisfactionary mechanic. In my mod I solved the problem by giving armies which are in mustering stance a surpressing growth penalty so as long as they recruit there will be no growth. BUT if you think about this is totally mini-change which does not come anywhere near to the RTW population system. If you look at it from a Rome II standpoint the effect itself adds to immersion, but doesn't change gameplay (since recruiting takes 1 turn only and "population" is nothing else than a growing bar that defines building slots and not recruitment slots or recruitment itself).

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    In my mod I solved the problem by giving armies which are in mustering stance a surpressing growth penalty so as long as they recruit there will be no growth.
    Neat idea.

alec, what is the mustering stance you speak of?

and speaking of stances, it would be pretty awesome if we had a stance that allows us to demobilize an army by reducing the upkeep cost to 25% and be able to mobilize them if need be by waiting, let's say 2 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nochyan View Post

Whenever you recruit a unit, your army become immobile and enter "mustering" stance, with effects attached to it.

Its exactly like ambush/fort/raid stances, except that you enter into mustering stance with another button.
    Being in a settlement is also a stance, the "garrisoning" stance.

There is much to do with stances in that game
    There was talk of using the 4th stance slot of the old forced march to create an interesting one.

well id support something like this, maybe 0.9 may even surprise us

I wouldn't want this.

I already feel like I have to dedicate half of my building slots to growth in the first place, and I believe that implementing a change like this would only increase the tendency towards a cookie cutter build pattern in my provinces.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Quote Originally Posted by Nochyan View Post

and speaking of stances, it would be pretty awesome if we had a stance that allows us to demobilize an army by reducing the upkeep cost to 25% and be able to mobilize them if need be by waiting, let's say 2 turns.
    Yes, just as Butan said there are "Stances" and there are "Situationals". The stances are clear, situationals are supplements like:
    - garrisoned
    - docked
    - blockading
    - besieging
    - mustering.

I did a complete stances overhaul, there are many opportunities to make economical stances. demobilize stances and more. However to take away the euphoria. Overhauling effects is a . I never had any other more annoying tables in the TW database than the ones with the effects (stances, edicts, faction bonuses). Most of the stuff is hard coded, many things are complex to do and many other do not work at all. Its more a matter of playing roulette than actually implementing real concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    I wouldn't want this.

I already feel like I have to dedicate half of my building slots to growth in the first place, and I believe that implementing a change like this would only increase the tendency towards a cookie cutter build pattern in my provinces.
    CA to thank for (for the poorest building system ever)!