Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Hundred

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default The Hundred

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100_(TV_series)

The premise of the show is very interesting and there are some good main actors but unfortunately its such a teen movie and real survivalist features are not in the show.

As soon as they land there is not an ounce of a need to find food or water or shelter. It seems like they are just having fun and nobody needs to eat.

Still with all that said I still find the show interesting and I hope it gets better in the long run.

Default Re: The Hundred

They'll be getting the munchies soon, since they were stoned this week.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    The premise of the show is very interesting and there are some good main actors but unfortunately its such a teen movie and real survivalist features are not in the show.

I would say for a teen movie the teenagers in it are surprisingly sensible in a life and death situation. I compared that to Lost in another thread where adults are all behaving stupid. In this show the teenagers have a certain degree of angst and drama but actually often work together and complete the task they set themselves (like the rockets, the radio, resueing a friend, searching for someone,...).

It makes it far better than most teen drama out there imho. It's also augmented by the more mature drama onboard the space station.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Yeah it is a nice mix. Good point Mangalore.

But you would have expected more emphasis put on finding food the moments after they landed. Considering these kids were all in prison and I doubt they have 5 course meals on the station.

Yeah it is a hit or miss on somethings, as well on its acting. Allthough i can vouch from experience that a bunch of kids teens, being by themselfs on this kind of "enviroments" forests or survival oriented stuff even in "games" things usualy go a bit out of the rails, or progress quite slow. There wont be an imediate care for building a shelter or do survival things.. at least right away.
    That said The case of the show is rather unique.

Last episode we see one of those guys skining a rabit for instance. They dont seem very focused on showing some of those survival stuff on the show. At least in a very explicit way. Wich is a shame given earth is admittedly a quite diferent place with strange fauna and flora.

There was alot of hate on the boards, and in the reception of the show, even though i think quite exagerated imo. It aint perfect, but it aint bad. And its on CW... of course is teen oriented, and just like any other good CW show it isnt perfect, but can be adictive...
    And i was bit trown out of balance when the litle girl begun killing the dude.... i was expecting something like this given the plot, but never thought they would actualy show it.
    So far the show has been more gruesome and gory then i thought would be. The other girl being impaled and whats with the bullets and knives in the necks?!
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 09, 2014 at 04:10 PM.

Last time I saw anyone skinning anything on television was on Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Last time I saw anyone skinning anything on television was on Game of Thrones.
    Well on Game of thrones.. if you want called that skin a rabbit, all i see was Podric trying something pathetic after he tried to cook it with all the fur That said on GoT there isnt a lack of skinning and blood and gore. I recall Tywin skining that dear on season 1?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

On Vikings Ragnar picks up, kills, and starts skinning a rat. If he didn't actually do it I'm fairly impressed with how they faked it.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quite enjoying this, definitely more mature SC-FI than most recent 'last hope' type shows and with a lot less larger then life cartoon type characters.

They seemed to try to focus more on the characters than specifically on the pure survival by having them at Mount Weather. If it were about pure survival instead of the characters it'd be more horror than teen drama, especially in that environment. Though I especially like the use of Mount Weather. That was a nifty bit of trivia.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I think they've found the great American equalizer, the Colt.

Blog Entries

So far I'd place this in the same class as Stargate Universe. They don't pull any punches when it comes to killing people off and is pretty graphic when it comes to violence, the mercy killing, the torture, the little girl! were all surprising in their brutality. They also stick it to the audience with heavy emotional stuff (like the sacrifice of 300+ people on the ARK). Sometimes the naivety of the 100 is a bit dumb but that fits with where they've come from and, despite the age of the majority of the cast, it isn't as much of a 'teen' drama as you might expect. There's plenty of quality in the supporting cast on the Ark to diversify from the teens with a few faces from 'Battlestar Galactica' turning up.

The basic survival problems, which always plague these type of shows are pretty quickly mooted, they find water the first day and food is pretty easy to come by, there might be more of an issue made of food at some point but they can get by initially.

I'm not sure where they might go with this beyond season 1 but it could be a really good 1-2 season series..

Oh, and if it's nagging any one as to where they saw the guy who plays 'the grounder.' He was Calvin in Hollyoaks.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; May 10, 2014 at 06:16 AM.

Stargate Universe is in no way similar to this. SU was much more closer to Battlestar Galactica. Both shows were much much better.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

I was a big fan of SGU, but no, it wasn't in the same class as BSG. You are of course welcome to your opinion, no matter how contrary it is..

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I was a big fan of SGU, but no, it wasn't in the same class as BSG. You are of course welcome to your opinion, no matter how contrary it is..
    I said much more closer to Battlestar Galactica, not in the same class.
    The Armenian Issue

Meh those shows are sci fy in nature, where this while in theory being Sci fy, its a whole diferent genre in it self, is mostly a post apocalyptic survivalist setting. I wouldnt be suprised if we would see Mutants or zombies along the road.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 12, 2014 at 04:19 PM.

Or there's a I Am Legend twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I said much more closer to Battlestar Galactica, not in the same class.
    Incidently the space station setting has a BSG vibe to it, particularly the later seasons where the fleet got worn down.

It does help to see a good number of BSG faces as well so maybe that's it.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Wasn't the spear into the boy's guts came before the flares to signal the station?
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; May 14, 2014 at 11:38 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

I think that was episode 1-2. The flares were 5-6, after 'Raven' takes the escape pod down to Earth..

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast