Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: builder's KGCM submod MORE UNITS, SLOWER BUILDING

Default Re: builder's KGCM submod MORE UNITS, SLOWER BUILDING

Alright builder680, I see your reasoning. I hadn't thought of how the ai handles cavalry. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

debux's Avatar Senator

A question, do you happen to know or remember what are the diplomacy tweaks you did? It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

AI is generally more likely to trade maps with you, at least once. Subsequent trades may require added monetary incentives. (1.00 notes)

Original KGCM has Islamic factions (Moors, Turks, Egypt, and Mongols in KGCM) relationships set very high with each other at the beginning of campaigns, which resulted in their becoming a "best friends forever power bloc" in nearly every game. I lowered their initial relationship with each other so that while they are still somewhat friendly to each other at game start, there are times where they'll go to war instead of signing permanent alliances. Egypt and Turks also no longer begin campaign as allies. (1.13 notes)
    Last edited by builder680; November 04, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

debux's Avatar Senator

Oops! Thanks for the details! I was thinking there was something more fundamental (like how "loyal" your allies are or how much it takes to get them), but it seems I had mistaken it for another mod or submod.
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

Ego123's Avatar Tiro
    Linz, Austria & Sighetu Marmatiei, Romania

Thank you Builder680 for let my use parts from your work.
    Last edited by Ego123; January 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM.
    Medieval 2 Reloaded Project - the work at this project is unfortunately stopped for an unlimited period of time

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?670553

I'm curious if someone still plays this. I made a bit of personal balancing of this submod, I could share it here if someone's interested (and if it's actually allowed...I probably need permission from submod creator to do so).

Changes so far:

Ammo reduced a bit-all ranged units except for gunpowder infantry (that one needs further balancing I think) and artillery got ammo reduced by 1/3, to double vanilla value.
    Further ranged units balancing: All bow units had attack reduced by 1, they feel too overpowered with ammo boost, since they're the only one that benefit from ammo increase most. Only exception being Retinue Longbowmen that remained at same attack, so now they have same capability as Scots' Guard, and there's actually incentive to upgrade from Yeomen Archers. Elite and professional infantry crossbow units recieved slight range boost, now the top crossbow units have slightly longer range than elite bowmen (180 vs. 160).
    Antipersonnel artillery boost: ballistae recieved range upgrade to 220, to allow them to act as long range anti-artillery and antipersonnel weapon. Damage against buildings increased to 15 so they can act as siege artillery against wooden walls, and they recieved two extra launchers in unit. Now they can reasonably fill role of early ranged unit for factions that lack those. Serpentines also recieved two extra launchers, and their damage against buildings was upgraded to 20. All other antipersonnel artillery recieved one extra launcher.
    EDB changes: all castle recruiting buildings can now recruit "obsolete" units from previous levels, although the rate of replenishment was slashed to 40%, max unit pool reduced to 1 and there are no units ready when you build the building. Siege works, both castle and city, allow retraining of ballistae and catapults, although no new units can be recruited (not tested yet). I felt no need to mess with city recruitment.

Possible planned changes: ranged balance-I feel that ranged units are still a bit too strong right now, I'm considering going through EDU and boosting armor and shield values in exchange for defense skill (so overall defense stays the same, but units will be a bit less vulnerable to missiles, but more vulnerable to melee from rear), and adding the castle recruitment buildings capability of retraining obsolete free upkeep units (theoretically this should allow them to stay as garrisson even after being obsolete, reason being there are no advanced ranged units with free upkeep, so you're stuck with all melee garrisson for castles).

Feel free to share or use any of this submod, Sar1n. I am not worried about credit or anything - except be sure you credit medusa for the pavise shield melee usage, that is his work. See op for a pm link to him for permission to use that part.
    Last edited by builder680; December 18, 2015 at 02:24 PM.

Decided to give this mod a try, I've always liked KGCM but the removal of some of my favourite units from vanilla or other mods was a big deterrent for me. I haven't gotten far enough into my campaign yet to see the higher end units, but if the submod does what it says, it should be a fun ride.

A couple thoughts/requests though...

1. Any chance of getting dismounted templar/hospitaller units added to Chapter Houses with this mod? They're not a vanilla unit, but they're a very commonly added unit in many mods.

2. A slower time progression option. I typically play 4-turns-per-year on mods that offer it because I hate my generals dieing off so quickly.

I'll be honest Lin i haven't played M2TW in over a year and am unlikely to re-visit it anytime soon. Adding units to chapter houses would be easy though, just some messing around in the edb (export descr buildings) file. Notepad++ is handy for editing both the edb and edu (any text file really).

Slowing the progression would take more work, and honestly I have slowed it down quite a bit already. Additionally, I can't remember for certain if generals' ages in M2 were turn based or not. If they are, it wouldn't matter how many years per turn you set it to anyway. I seem to recall it working that way, but it's been so long I could be wrong.

Okay. I went back to KGCM after a long time, and finally decided to finish my sub-submod.

Changes:
    Ammo reduced a bit-all ranged units except for gunpowder infantry (that one needs further balancing I think) and artillery got ammo reduced by 1/3, to double vanilla value.
    Further ranged units balancing: All bow units had attack reduced by 1, they feel too overpowered with ammo boost, since they're the only one that benefit from ammo increase most. Only exception being Retinue Longbowmen that remained at same attack, so now they have same capability as Scots' Guard, and there's actually incentive to upgrade from Yeomen Archers. Elite and professional infantry crossbow units recieved slight range boost, now the top crossbow units have slightly longer range than elite bowmen (180 vs. 160). Crossbowmen fire rate has been increased a bit by reducing the delay between attacks.
    In order to reduce ranged units' kill rate a bit, units, when applicable had up to two points of their defense skill redistributed to armour and shield. If unit did not have armour or shield, both points were allocated to what they had (armour or shield). Dismounted Halbbruder are exception, since they have shield on model but no shield value until now, so they recieved one point in armour and shield for two defense skill points. In few cases, I redistributed just one or no points because unit either lacked both armour and shield or lacked enough defense skill points to redistribute.
    Antipersonnel artillery boost: ballistae recieved range upgrade to 220, to allow them to act as long range anti-artillery and antipersonnel weapon. Damage against buildings increased to 15 so they can act as siege artillery against wooden walls, and they recieved two extra launchers in unit. Now they can reasonably fill role of early ranged unit for factions that lack those. Serpentines also recieved two extra launchers, and their damage against buildings was upgraded to 20. All other antipersonnel artillery recieved one extra launcher.
    EDB changes: all castle recruiting buildings can now recruit "obsolete" units from previous levels, although the rate of replenishment was slashed to 40%, max unit pool reduced to 1 and there are no units ready when you build the building. Siege works, both castle and city, allow retraining of ballistae and catapults, although no new units can be recruited. Most free upkeep infantry and ranged units can be recruited in all levels, although the rate of replenishment is extremely low...this is to allow free upkeep garrissoning throughout the whole game.
    In order to slow down the pace a bit, all land unit replenishment were slashed by 40%. That applies to the previously lower pools of obsolete units, so their replenishment will be very low (12 turns for obsolete units from lower tier, 34 turns for garrisson units). The "elite" pool from walls was reduced just by 20%, it's already very low.

If there's feedback, I might do few more changes later. Slashing the mercenary replenishment to keep with EDB changes, altering the naval units' recruitment rate, and balancing the gunpowder untis. But I need to see how this will work out first.

Installation is very simple, replace the three files in (M2TW folder)\mods\kingdoms_grand_campaign_mod\data with those included in this .zip. Compatible probably only with builder's submod. And remember to back up the files beforehand.

Edit: v2, corrected some odd cases that sneaked their way in. Also I decided to allow Venice and Sicily to recruit Pike Militia along their Swiss Pikemen in high tier city barracks, since Swiss aren't direct replacement (upgraded Pike Militia has higher defense thanks to armour upgrades and isn't impetuous), but replenishment rate of both was reduced.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sar1n; April 19, 2016 at 02:00 PM.

Is there any version of this that adds all units to campaign... Without making them upgareded versions of each other...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12