Thread: How to Create A New Faction (from existing faction) Using the Assembly Kit and PFM

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default How to Create A New Faction (from existing faction) Using the Assembly Kit and PFM

Sorry about the above post, I was testing whether the image would show up (and it didn't)
    Dresden's tutorial is very good and it made me be able to do this stuff but I'd like to go into some more "advanced" stuff.
    You need the Assembly Kit, PFM and some kind of picture editing software such as paint.net
    In this mod we will:
    Make the Brigantes a playable faction
    Change the Brigantes' flag into the Scottish flag
    Change the name "Brigantes" into "Scotland"
    Change the political parties to "Scottish National Party" and "Scottish Conservative Party"
    Give Iceni and Macedonian to the Brigantes

Before You Start:
    Make a folder somewhere on your desktop and put a vanilla, unedited Assembly Kit into here. This will form the basis of your modding as you can simply copy and paste the Assembly Kit whenever you want to create a new mod.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Once you've got the folder, copy and paste the Assembly Kit into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II
    Double click on the Assembly Kit - Binaries - TWeak.AssemblyKit.
    Click on Tools - DAVE and click YES

Go to View - Table Launcher
    Search "start_pos_settlements" in the search bar
    Scroll down to the first Rome campaign ID (ID 153 atm)

Make a Microsoft Word document and copy and paste all the settlement_ids in one column, and then scroll to the right and copy and paste the corresponding onscreen_names

This will allow you to easily work out what regions are actually called and yeah, its helpful.

Changing Region Ownership:
    Exit start_pos_settlements and search start_pos_regions.
    Sort owning_faction so that Rome is at the top

Scroll down to 11, 12 and 13 and change main_rome:rom_iceni to main_rome:rom_brigantes as well as both main_rome:rom_macedon to main_rome:rom_brigantes
    Change faction_capital for all three settlements to false

Sort owning_faction again and scroll down to the Brigantes (53-56).
    Scroll to the right to cultural_originator, rebel_faction, rebel_faction_name and alternative_rebel_faction.
    Change them to match the Brigantes ones.

You are done here, now you can click Apply at the top of the screen

Changing Settlement Names & Buildings:
    Go back to start_pos_settlements
    Look at your Word Doc of regions and settlement names and find Camulodunon (
    rom_britannia_britannia)
    Find rom_britannia_britannia in the Assembly Kit (199)
    Scroll to the right to onscreen_name
    Change it to whatever you want, I shall change it to "Emperor Caligula"

Find Pella next (rom_macedonia_makedonia) (256)
    Change onscreen_name to whatever, I'll do "Gladiator"

Now we will change the buildings, only Pella and Pulpudeva need to have their buildings changed because Camulodunon has the same building tree as Brigantes.
    Scroll back to rom_macedonia_makedonia and change building1 from rom_HELLENIC_military_main_1 to the closest Barbarian equivalent, in this case there is no equivalent so set it to blank

Scroll across to the right to primary_building and port_building and edit those (rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1 and rom_BARBARIAN_port_major_food_2)

Repeat for Pulpudeva (rom_thracia_thracia)
    Click Apply

Changing Faction Names & Making It Playable:

Go back to Table Launcher - factions
    Scroll down to the Brigantes (136) and change their screen_name (I will change it to Scotland), change their screen_name_when_rebels, screen_adjective. You can also change their primary_colour and card_colour here.

Click Apply

Now go to start_pos_factions
    Scroll down to rom_brigantes (29) and change the column playable to true and column is_major to true. You can also edit their description.

Scroll up to rom_iceni and rom_macedon (3 and 4) and change their playable to false and is_major to false. (This is not necessary but it can make your mod look more professional as factions that aren't playable won't clutter the "Choose A Faction" screen.

Click Apply

Go back to the Table Launcher and search political_parties, click on political_parties.
    Click Add Record twice (2x)
    Make the key of the 1st one be rom_politics_brigantes_ruler and the 2nd one be rom_politics_brigantes_council.
    Now change their name_localised, I will change ruler toScottish National Party and council to Scottish Conservative Party
    Change rom_politics_brigantes_ruler "playable" statue be true and council "playable" status be false.
    Make both their ui_icon's be x
    Give ruler a custom effect_bundle and council the rom_dummy_effect_bundle thingy
    Change their initial_power on the far right to whatever (ruler = 75, council= 15) and you can add a description to both (not needed)

Now search politic_parties in the Table Launcher again and click
    faction_political_parties_junctions

Click Add Record twice (2x)
    Change their faction_key to rom_brigantes
    Change their political_party_key to rom_politics_brigantes_ruler and rom_politics_brigantes_council

Click Apply

I will put Brigantes/Scotland into a group all by themselves called "The United Kingdom"
    The vanilla group are Britannic, Eastern, Successors, Gallic and Germanic.
    Other groups you can put factions in are African, Arabian, Celtiberian, Celtic, Daco-Thracian, Etruscan, Greek, Nomadic, Punic and Rome.

Search faction_groups in the Table Launcher.
    Scroll down to rom_faction_group_etruscan and change the name_localised to The United Kingdom
    You can fancy it up and give them a description and effect bundle.

Click Apply

Now search faction_to_faction_groups_junctions
    Scroll down to rom_brigantes (119) and change the faction_group_key to
    rom_faction_group_etruscan

Click Apply

Deleting and Adding Armies:
    Refer to Dresden's Opening Post on this, but you need to delete the iceni and macedon armies, characters, settlements, the whole thing in there.
    Feel free to add armies of your own. You may also wish to delete diplomatic relationships with other factions

Exporting & Finishing Touches:
    To export click Export - Export Changes to Binary at the top (see Dresden's OP)
    Close TWeak and click Yes when it says "Are You Sure?"

Open BOB (see OP)
    In the Working Data column (middle) expand campaigns, main_rome and click the little square next to startpos.esf
    Tick both Campaign/Process start pos and Pack/Create pack file and click Start

Do not worry if there are two error messages such as below, that simply means you need to add more info with PFM. If there are 3 error messages you have majorly stuffed something up.
    Now go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\assembly_kit\retail\data and rename your mod.pack.

Open PFM and click File - Open CA Pack - data_rome2.pack
    Expand ui - flags
    Right click on allobroges and click Extract - Extract Selected

Also scroll down to rom_faction_group_celtiberian and extract that with the above method

You may be asked to choose where to extract it to, mine automatically goes to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\my_mod
    Go to wherever it is extracted to and edit the pictures, you must not edit the file names though.
    You need 2 of each, mon_256, mon_64, mon_24 and mon_banner. One must be a .dds file (paint.net) and one must be a .png file.
    mon_256 and mon_banner must be 256x256 pixels, mon_64 = 64x64 pixels, mon_24 = 24x24
    pixels
    I'd recommend making the mon_256.dds first and then simply saving over the mon_banner.dds, mon_banner.png and mon_256.png, resizing it to 64x64 and saving over mon_64.dds and .png and finally resizing to 24x24 and doing the same.

Now rename the file "brigantes" not "allobroges"

Open rom_faction_group_celtiberian and change the mon_64 .dds and .png to whatever you want (must be identical), this will be the button you click on the "Choose A Faction" screen
    Rename this file rom_faction_group_etruscan
    Copy and paste the directory for both of these flag paths somewhere
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\my_mod\ui\flags\brigantes
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\my_mod\ui\flags\rom_faction_group_etruscan

You are nearly done!
    We must do some fairly weird stuff though.
    Open your mod in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\assembly_kit\retail\data with PFM, right click under text and click Add - From Pack - data_rome2.pack - ui - flags - allobroges - double left click on mon_24.dds

Now right click on flags - Add - Directory and paste the two directory links in there one after the other.
    Now you can delete the allobroges mon_24.dds and you are nearly DONE!!!

You just need to copy and paste the mod into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\data, upload it to Steam Workshop (if you are using Steam) and ta-da.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; March 26, 2016 at 04:21 AM.

Default Re: How to Change Region Ownership and Add/Remove Armies using the Assembly Kit

Hi guys.I have a question.How can i change the grand campgain screen ?? I want change the started playable factions.For example i want remove carthage for grand campgain screen.Can anyone help me ???

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: How to Change Region Ownership and Add/Remove Armies using the Assembly Kit

Hi guys.I have a question.How can i change the grand campgain screen ?? I want change the started playable factions.For example i want remove carthage for grand campgain screen.

In the Assembly Kit change start_pos_factions and change Carthage and the other factions you DON'T want so that their "playable" and "is_major" are set to false.
    Now find the factions you DO want and change it so their "playable" and "is_major" are set to true.

Now you need to make political parties, faction_groups, armies, emblems for the factions and the faction groups, and all that stuff for normally unplayable factions you set to playable, its all detailed in my tutorial near the bottom.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by GREEK MILTIADIS View Post
    Hi guys.I have a question.How can i change the grand campgain screen ?? I want change the started playable factions.For example i want remove carthage for grand campgain screen.Can anyone help me ???
    Unlike Shogun 2, you no longer need to have a limit of how many factions can be made playable (except those sold as part of DLC) so you do not need to disable any playable factions.

Check the tutorials for unlocking factions.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Is-Not-Enough

That's with PFM though. COuld not find one with the Assembly Kit yet.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Ok i understand.Thank you both for your help.And if i make the faction of Arevaci playable i must add a new flag or i can make arevaci keep their own flag ?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: How to Create A New Faction (from existing faction) Using the Assembly Kit and PFM

Split from How to Change Region Ownership and Add Remove Armies using the Assembly Kit as this tutorial merits its own thread.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by GREEK MILTIADIS View Post
    Ok i understand.Thank you both for your help.And if i make the faction of Arevaci playable i must add a new flag or i can make arevaci keep their own flag ?
    I think stuff like flags are already there for unplayable factions. Unless you want to replace Arevaci with another faction using that slot then you don't need to edit flags or anything.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Split from How to Change Region Ownership and Add Remove Armies using the Assembly Kit as this tutorial merits its own thread.
    Thanks for that, would have totally missed that someone made one that I can refer people to from now on if you hadn't done that

Sorry about the above post, I was testing whether the image would show up (and it didn't)
    [~IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Iy9AZvf.png[/IMG]
    Images can be inserted using the above code (less the tilde). You can also use the button third from the right of the basic editor to do the BB Code for you
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Default Re: How to Create A New Faction (from existing faction) Using the Assembly Kit and PFM

Could you pretty please make a tutorial that says how to do this, replace a faction with another custom faction, using only PFM and EDIT SF (if needed)? I don't like the assembly kit plus I don't have the assembly kit.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by kanecaston View Post
    Could you pretty please make a tutorial that says how to do this, replace a faction with another custom faction, using only PFM and EDIT SF (if needed)? I don't like the assembly kit plus I don't have the assembly kit.
    Just download it from Steam.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Hey I'm having a problem. I rebuilt the Roman Houses mod and I turned Cyrenaica into the House of Scipii. The only issue is that they start out with no buildings and their 1st general is egyptian. Is there anyway to fix this?

Also, The Scipii (Cyrenaica) is still able to recruit Egyptian mercenaries in Italy. Any idea how to fix this issue too? Thanks a bunch for the help

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
    Hey I'm having a problem. I rebuilt the Roman Houses mod and I turned Cyrenaica into the House of Scipii. The only issue is that they start out with no buildings and their 1st general is egyptian. Is there anyway to fix this?

Also, The Scipii (Cyrenaica) is still able to recruit Egyptian mercenaries in Italy. Any idea how to fix this issue too? Thanks a bunch for the help
    Instead of using unused main campaign factions use roman factions for CiG or HatG. For example for pun_rom or gaul_rom instead of rom_cyrenaica.

For example in our mod we use pun_rom and gaul_rom for Campania and Bruttium. We even replace Etruscan with gaul_rom_civil_war as this allows the new italian factions to use legion number too.

Another good thing is that it's easier to 'give citizenship' (or form confederation in game) with these new factions.

Last edited by LestaT; July 15, 2014 at 11:41 PM.

I tried doing that before but it kept crashing. Is there a tutorial on how to do that?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

With the assembly kit,

1. Start_pos_factions > add record.
    2. Faction column > gaul_rome
    3. Campaign column > Grand Campaign: Main Rome
    4. Starting_order column > choose any number which is not listed or the one after the last (I think 200 so you can put 201)
    5. The rest you can copy from rom_etruscan entry if you like.
    6. To save click apply.

Then in factions table rename gaul_rome to the faction you want under screen_name columns and the rest.

If anyone find this useful then please rep JohnnyG1823 (since he teach me how to do it) and check his mod Italian Conquest.
    Last edited by LestaT; July 19, 2014 at 04:21 PM.

HELP MEE PLZZZZZ!

I need to change 2 factions in "Roman Houses: Familia Romana" back to the same "base faction" it was before the newest update

Dear FPM users

I and a lot of other people have been having a lot of fun with this mod:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=257055394

It adds the old roman houses from rome 1: Julii, Scipii, Brutii and the Senate.
    These factions was "buildt untop" of vanilla factions in rome 2. Cyranecia became Scipii, Etruscan league became Brutii and so on...

However - and here comes the problem for wich I need some help.

To fix some bugs with the scipii faction which would't have buildings in its region from the start of the game, Ron changed Scipii back to Cyranecia, so ind my (and all other people who have campaigns running) save game Scipii now looks and have hellenic culture and units like Cyrenaica and the senate now is called and looks like the Scipii.

When we (the players) told Ron about this he said this:

"you can just make make a new mod in PFM, copy all of my files into it, and then make whatever changes you want to it. If you deactivate my mod and then continue, it will change the flags and icons back to vanilla rome."

Can anybody help me to understand how I use PFM to mod "Roman Houses: Familia Romana" So the Scipii and Senate get the old "base factions" back so that it will be compatible with our save games again?

This campaign has been one of the most fun I have had with Rome 2, And would really appreciate any help you can give.

Will also post the solution on Roman Houses: Familia Romana page and give credit to thouse who help us!

Sincerely
    Harmageddon

P.S. the bugs that Ron did the update to remove was minor and its no problem If they come back if we turn Cyranecia back to Scipii.

GMoon777's Avatar Libertus

Is there no way to simply add a new faction without changing an existing one?, surely just adding to the factions tables would work

It's a bit more complicated than that, but yes, it is possible to add them from scratch. It took me a while to figure it out myself mainly because I was missing one table.

I would recommend doing it through the Assembly Kit with its automatically generated ID numbers. You need to modify or add your faction to the:
    1. factions_table
    2. faction_banners_table
    3. faction_rebellion_units_junctions_table
    4. faction_to_mercenary_set_junctions table
    3. faction_uniform_colours_table
    3. commander_unit_permissions_table

I would recommend copying and pasting the info related to units based on a faction with the same military group type (column in the factions_table). So, if you made a faction that had the roman military_group, just copy Rome's info for the commander_unit_permissions and faction_rebellion_units_junctions (Rome doesn't have mercenary sets, but the same logic applies, though I don't think it's as rigid as the others).

Then add your faction into the start_pos as normal, and follow the rest of the tutorial to modify the faction to your specific desires.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    It's a bit more complicated than that, but yes, it is possible to add them from scratch. It took me a while to figure it out myself mainly because I was missing one table.

I would recommend doing it through the Assembly Kit with its automatically generated ID numbers. You need to modify or add your faction to the:
    1. factions_table
    2. faction_banners_table
    3. faction_rebellion_units_junctions_table
    4. faction_to_mercenary_set_junctions table
    3. faction_uniform_colours_table
    3. commander_unit_permissions_table

I would recommend copying and pasting the info related to units based on a faction with the same military group type (column in the factions_table). So, if you made a faction that had the roman military_group, just copy Rome's info for the commander_unit_permissions and faction_rebellion_units_junctions (Rome doesn't have mercenary sets, but the same logic applies, though I don't think it's as rigid as the others).

Then add your faction into the start_pos as normal, and follow the rest of the tutorial to modify the faction to your specific desires.

There is no Tutorial on the AK, i download it from steam and i dont even have DAVE tool on it, just BOB, i opened BOB and added all those 6 tables and it was green showing complete, but complete how? and where? i mean... old school PFM and ESF was less complicated for simple minds in modding like me
    All i wanted was to make a new Iberian barbarian Faction, maybe using other barb faction as base... i dont know...

I managed to find DAVE, and explored it a bit, i have done a few steps and it looks normal, its not easy.
    But i didnt made anything yet.
    Have one question...

OP said this "Make a folder somewhere on your desktop and put a vanilla, unedited Assembly Kit into here. This will form the basis of your modding as you can simply copy and paste the Assembly Kit whenever you want to create a new mod."

In the game folder there is already an assembly kit folder, how i get another clean vannila assembly kit folder? because, i have the feling if i change something in the folder that exists already, it will change the game and all i wanted is a different folder so i can creat a new mod and remove if i dont want anymore without hurting the game.