Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your tactic with the pikes

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Your tactic with the pikes

Well, when I put the first rank of the gunners in front of the first rank of the pikes, so they are still behind the pike tips, I find them pretty effective. It is true that then only that first rank fires, but in completely spread out formation that will still be enough shots to deal a lot of damage. Moreover, if you put them in more than three ranks they will do some kind of infantry caracole, so you do not lose any effectivity in that case if only the first rank is in front of the first line of pikes.

JMJ -

I did notice both in the stats and on the battlefield that the handgunners are a little tougher.

Looking at post 10 I was wondering; does the enemy cavalry tend to charge between the two formations where the canons are because there are no melee infantry there? Or do you stop them with your cavalry? I ask because I have fought battles where the enemy army is 50% cavalry. (To which I swear incessantly )

YBIC
    Mike

Yes, the AI charges the cannons relentlessly at times. Often they go into wedge formation to penetrate between the pike formations. But I usually have my general's BG positioned immediately behind the guns, or, if I have a full stack, a spare pike company. Either way, it's easy to pull the gunners back after first contact and to maul the enemy cavalry with my bodyguard/pikes to the front and one or two melee infantry on their flanks. They don't last long. Furthermore, my own cavalry often have yet to do any fighting while theirs are much reduced and morally weakened if they survive the mauling.
    However, once the AI has dashed its cavalry to bits, the two gun crews in the centre can return to their pieces and absolutely massacre the enemy infantry.

I must admit, though, that I haven't fought battles against 50% cavalry armies. If I did so, I would be more inclined to use a single line of pikes and to bury the ranged units within. Or perhaps leave small gaps between the pikes and put the ranged units into tight squares between the pikes and slightly back. I would even just park my cannon at the rear and wouldn't really use them unless the AI took a defensive stance (unlikely with so many cavalry, though).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123