Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Original thread for North&South II

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Default Re: ACW - North&South II - First Unitpack released

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    Yes, one confederate unit for the whole army. GREY MEN FOR THE ENTIRE SOUTH. [/Not serious]

While we're on the subject, where did the idea of the armies being Blue and Grey come from?
    The color regulation was a state subject.. New York and most of the other states in 1861 used grey as the uniform color for their uniform.
    The blue was an official federal army color for regular troops since 1776.

In the first year of war, nearly every state used their own troops, commanded their own troops by state commanders and there was no real commander of an overall union or confederate army. So at First Manassas, New York, Wisconsin and Maine regiments marched with their very cool grey uniforms and crushed against southern troops of Virginia or Louisiana in their fancy blue dresses. Since most of the regular enlisted regiments served in the southern states, there was a high amount of blue in the southern army at Manassas.

After the battle, the uniform regulation for both armies got stronger and they choosed their main color... which resulted in blue for the US and grey for most of the CS troops
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

What better way to demonstrate grey color variation other than, variant testing!

Just the jackets mind you
    Last edited by Shim13; September 25, 2014 at 10:47 AM.

very good response Hinkle, I will make one correction. you said that regular units served in the south before the war which is not true. most regular infantry and cavalry regiments served in the west dealing with Indians and the white population. on the east was mostly regular artillery regiments manning coastal batteries according to The History of the United States Infantry 1775-1918 by Urwin. at the beginning of the war the war department frantically tried to get those way ward regiments from the west to the east as fast as possible. after Bull Run, where almost no regular formations fought with the exception of 2 or three companies, regular regiments were brought it including the 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, regiments, with the 5th staying in New Mexico, most of the 3rd (I believe it was the 3rd) being taken into captivity while trying to leave Texas. the 11-19th regiments were formed in the coming months under the French Three Battalion system with the 15, 16, 18, and 19th fighting with the Army of the Ohio and the Tennessee and the Cumberland, the rest were in the Army of the Potomac.
    The history of the regular army is very interesting, half of the officers of the regular army were from the south and went back once the war started such as General Armistead of the 6th US.
    love this mod, (p.s. I did create a regular army mod with every single regiment that existed during the war with as correct uniforms as I could find info for....)

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by ss97slp View Post
    very good response Hinkle, I will make one correction. you said that regular units served in the south before the war which is not true. most regular infantry and cavalry regiments served in the west dealing with Indians and the white population. ..)
    Hehe, yes... I did not mean, that they were stationed in the south.
    I know that they served in the west.. but what I mean is: Most of the soldiers were southerners. They served in the US Army, while many northern civilians avoid the military duty and worked in the industry.
    Thats why many southern soldiers were veterans, cause they served in the US regular infantry in the west, before the war
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Good to see some CSA units, can't wait to play with them !
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Hey guys,
    wonderful work you're doing here!
    Just one question, I know modeling (or creating) a new campaign map is a hard task to do in Shogun2.
    But maybe (in the late future), can you add the European, Africa, east indies, south America continents, to make like a Victorian age game?
    Jus a question...?

awe I see your point, records indicate about 25-30% southern born, 15-20% northern born and the rest were from Europe, mostly Ireland and Germany.

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Hehe, yes... I did not mean, that they were stationed in the south.
    I know that they served in the west.. but what I mean is: Most of the soldiers were southerners. They served in the US Army, while many northern civilians avoid the military duty and worked in the industry.
    Thats why many southern soldiers were veterans, cause they served in the US regular infantry in the west, before the war
    I wouldn't say many southern soldiers were veterans, as the average private or NCO on either side was usually a young volunteer with no previous military service. Any previous veterans of the US Army that resigned and fought for the Confederacy were usually immediately promoted. That's why you see many Confederate generals that previously saw service in the US Army and/or were Mexican War veterans.

btw I have been working on a new map recently based on something historical and will probably post a few screens here tomorrow

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Ok, here is the map I was talking about in the last post.

So I am currently reading "Confederate Alamo" about the Confederate last stand at Fort Gregg, Petersburg, VA. Its not very well known, so here's the story: In the final days of the Siege of Petersburg, as a major Union assault rolled over Lee's last lines of defense, near 300 Confederate troops defended a small fort, Fort Gregg, for about 2 hours against a force of nearly 5,000 Federal troops of the XXIV Corps. Nearly all the defenders of Fort Gregg were killed or wounded at the end, but they bought Lee enough time to evacuate the Army of Northern Virginia from Petersburg. So I thought hey, I ought to make a map on this

Maybe nothing impressive yet, I made due with what I had in TEd. But Fort Gregg was nothing very impressive in reality either, just a small earthen fort.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by AUG351; November 25, 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Yet not a single Chickamauga map to be seen...

A Cool map nonetheless though

SD_Man's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by dennizjoon View Post

Did they really take bowlers to war?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_Man View Post
    Did they really take bowlers to war?
    Thoose are slouch hats

But at any rate, confederates were known to take alot of hats from home etc to the front, therewas alot of variation in the C.S Lines

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

A few more examples of the wide range of hats worn by the Confederate soldier:
    http://www.adolphusconfederateunifor...ebel-hats.html

Last edited by AUG351; October 03, 2014 at 02:27 AM.

Any news?

^ Same question, if this mod is even 1/2 as good as the ACW mod for empire.... it'll be astonishing. However, the unit pack, at least for me, doesn't work, & the other civil war mod appears to have taken they're content down. It would be nice just to have enough working units to play mplayer battles on the maps already built into the game. Either way, looks great so far, keep up the good work. Would be glad to help if there is any way I can, although I'm sure you have more than enough mappers.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

I'm actually quite busy with real life (new university, new town, new friends etc) so there wasn't much progress yet (atleast on my side )

Regarding the bug that the units don't work for some people I have bad news.
    I made several trials, like deleting some tables, creating new factions etc. but none of those worked for those who had this bug. And since I can't replicate the bug, I can't fix it. :/
    Last solution which might be worth a try would be to use the same game version like me. Means, shogun + Fots, maybe + Blood pack but then no other DLCs

of news?

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

I can't say how much pleasure FOTS total conversion mods and this one in particular would give me. Good luck to you and your team, Primergy. The units looks beautiful :-)
    Last edited by Yerevan; October 22, 2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: are ve
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "