Thread: Battle of Carrhae strategy?

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

Default Battle of Carrhae strategy?

I can't seem to be able to beat those Parthians.

I've tried to counter the enemy Cataphract charge with putting my legionaries it tight formations on guard mode, or two lines. I chase the horse archers with my cavalry, then try to smash in from behind in the engaged cathapracts. but they dont seem to bother in the least.

Eventually the enemy comes with even more units that smash into my already recuced troops, making them rout.

I'm playing hard battle difficulty.

How to win this battle?

and besides.. how come most battles you can only play on the historically losing side?
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Battle of Carrhae strategy?

how come most battles you can only play on the historically losing side?
    You can solve that by editing a few files,quite easy.
    Don't put your legionaries in guard mode, try to entrap a few cataphract units with your infantry, and make your cav work together in taking out those pesky archers and only then wheel round to finish the cataphracts.Also try to make sure your troops don't get to tired.

Default Re: Battle of Carrhae strategy?

I like to leave one legionary unit in testudo formation out on the flank so the cavalry archers sit there shooting at them all day. For the cataphracts, I like to keep them occupied with one unit while the rest shoot their pila at them on "fire at will" mode. Pila massacre all cavalry, even cataphracts, if they are trapped.

Icon3 Re: Battle of Carrhae strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Spajjder View Post
    I can't seem to be able to beat those Parthians.

I've tried to counter the enemy Cataphract charge with putting my legionaries it tight formations on guard mode, or two lines. I chase the horse archers with my cavalry, then try to smash in from behind in the engaged cathapracts. but they dont seem to bother in the least.

Eventually the enemy comes with even more units that smash into my already recuced troops, making them rout.

I'm playing hard battle difficulty.

How to win this battle?

and besides.. how come most battles you can only play on the historically losing side?

HEY ! So there are two ways to fight the battle. One way is a loss. the other way is a victory! I`m actually playing through all the historical battles ( a bit late obvi) and Ive posted them on youtube. Here is my Carrhae video, playing in VERY HARD difficulty! Check it out to see the trick to winning Also BTW prince of Macedon did the exact same thing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcVbG1syUFQ&t=746s

-STRATEGOS