Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How to bring an external model into Rome 2 Part 1: Set Up and Helmet.

Default How to bring an external model into Rome 2 Part 1: Set Up and Helmet.

First things first. I feel like I'm in a position I've never been in before. Very few modders know how to do this stuff and I feel like I went from making submods and tweaks to leading the charge on the modding front if that makes sense. Second of all I'm not to good with tutorials, so bare with me. With that out of the way, lets get started!

Programs you need:
    3ds Max(I used 2013 64 bit.)
    OpenBrf
    Total War Assembly Kit:
    TWeak and BOB
    Gimp or Photoshop(I use Gimp)

Step 1: Model and Max Set-Up

So the first thing we need to do is get your 3d models into Max. The first couple parts of the tutorial are designed around using the high quality Open Source Project assets from the Mount and Blade Warband community. If you are making a new model with in Max then this part won't be 100% relevant. So by the end of this tutorial series you will know how to bring a helmet, a weapon, a shield, a body and arms(a surcoat in this case) and legs and feet into the game as new assets. So here's the model we will be working with in part 1:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To get the same models I have added at the bottom a link to where I got the assets from. Along with links to the other free tools you'll need. So anyways you'll need Openbrf to export the model above as an "obj" file. Here's a picture showing how to do it. Basically you have to right click on the model name and click export static mesh, like so.

I would save it to this location in the aseembly kit: Total War Rome 2\Assembly Kit\Raw_data\Variantmeshes\variantmodels\man\helmets and all your custom textures at
    Total War Rome 2\Assembly Kit\Raw_data\Variantmeshes\variantmodels\man\helmets\tex Don't go to far with textures yet because there are some things you have to do with that.

So now you have your obj file ready to go. Now you have to set up 3ds Max so it reads the models correctly. If you go into the version of Max I have with one of the example project file in the helmets folder and it looks like this.

That means you have to go into customize , viewport settings, go under "choose driver" at the bottom and change your settings form whatever it was to Direct3d Here's a picture that should help.

So if you did it right it should look like this:

Now we have to apply the correct shader because the shader that the model uses by deault isn't right. So there are two files that we need to put in Max's files. In the assembly kit folder under "max_exporters" you should see a bunch of Max versions, go into the one that's the right year and bit and take the file place in the 3ds Max folder under "stdplugs"

The second file is under max_shader. There should be an "fx" file. Take that place it in the main 3ds Max folder under "maps\fx" Then in Max go under Rendering, Compact Editor. You should see a thing called a Directx shader. Click on the top most button and find that "fx" file. That should fix the texture of the helmet and lay the framework for our new helmet. Here are some pictures illustrating what I just said.

So if you got all that done, you are now ready for Step 2.

Step 2: Importing and Textures

So now we are going to bring our helmet model into Max. Go under the Max logo on the far left to the import function. From there find your obj file and import it. It will bring up some settings. For added help, here's what I go with:

So once it's imported, you'll have to use the rotate function to flip the helmet around. This can be done also by right clicking the rotate button and change the left hand z function to 180 degrees. Here's some pictures showing that.

Now the new model is actually way below the roman helmet model on top. So using the select and move button next to the rotate button, move the model so it's basically on top of the roman helmet model. Then use both move and rotate to place it where a helmet like this would be on a man. Here's some pictures showing that.

So next up is setting the Compact Material Editor. Go to that panel again and click the "x" button and when you get two options, choose the top one. This gives the shader parameters a clean slate for us. Here's what that would look like.

Next up we have to add the textures we need. First of all make sure that you name your textures "diffuse", not "diff", "normal", not " norm" or "normalmap", "specular" not "spec" and then level and gloss. Also I will not be covering on how to make those separate maps, just how to implement them. Add the corresponding textures to the right slots. Also it's a little vague, but level goes to the reflectiveness slot and gloss goes to the smoothness slot Two things, make sure that the textures are in .tga format and in the "tex" folder I mentioned earlier. This will be helpful for Bob later. Lastly when all the textures are in the right slots, select the model, go to the top the material editor with the green cube next to the "x" button. That will assign the model to the textures. Here's some pictures showing that in action.

Update: If you are using textures 1024x1024 and bigger, place you helmet and textures in the respective armor folders instead of helmets. Otherwise Bob reduces the quality. You can actually see this in my TWeak picture. I'll update that picture soon.

Lastly delete the roman helmet model lods. There should be 4 models deleted.

So now we're on to the final parts of this tutorial.

Step 3: Rigging and Export
    So we need to go into the ultities tab on the right (a hammer symbol) and deselect the hidden objects called "helpers" These are basically the bones for rigging. Then go to the modifiers tab add a skin modifier. Also under Edit Poly make sure you're selecting the borders tab. You'll see what I mean with the pictures later. With that you'll see a bunch of options. Some of them near the bottom are minimized. Under the display tab there's a bunch of color and weighting options that should be checked. Then go back to the top under the add bones tab. You need to add these two bones: "bn_head" and "bn_neck" Now select the edit envelope button. Now the best way to do it in my opinion is to select the paint weights button. This will let you to click on various parts of the model and rig them. This will be shown by red, the more red a part of the model is, the more it's attached to that bone. In this case, you want to put add bn_head first so you just have to paint the bottom to bn_neck. This will require switching between two bone options until you get the result you want. Now if you're confused by that paragraph, here's pictures showing the process. (Note that to making the painting easier I would change that tab in the top left from smooth and highlights to flat during the process. You'll notice that in the pictures)

Okay! So if you've gotten this far, great! You might have some trial and error with the rigging, especially later on. I'll get to that later. Anyways now we are ready to export! Before you do that however, you need to rename the model "modelname_lod1" You can do it at the right seen in the pictures. Otherwise Bob won't convert it. And then adding other lods, you need to basically duplicate it and change it from lod 1 to lod 2, 3 or 4. I would make sure you can get one lod done first however. So now export it with the settings in the pictures below.

Now open up Bob under the assembly_kit\binaries and select the four texture files and the cs2 model. and press start. If everything works out right, you will see all green. Just in case you need it, here's some pictures:

If you did everything right, here's how it should look:

That concludes Part 1! If you have any questions or comments, leave them below! Expect Part 2 relatively soon! Now here's some helpful links!

Helpful Links:

Historic Lords Project:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/3932/?

OpenBrf Download Link:
    http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1466

Gimp Link:
    http://www.gimp.org/

Last edited by warman222; April 15, 2014 at 02:37 PM.

Default Re: How to bring an external model into Rome 2 Part 1: Set Up and Helmet.

Updated the thread with the Tutorial! Enjoy!

Bucle_CT's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: How to bring an external model into Rome 2 Part 1: Set Up and Helmet.

Sir, you're my hero now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGakK0rczJg

Deffinetly gonna take a deep and looong look into this, keep the know how coming! +rep

Great work on the tutorial.

Thanks! I hope it'll help bring more modelers to Rome 2 over time. In regards to part 2 I'm still considering what should be next. Incidentally, Step 1 is basically prep for anything you want to do, so that's going to be redundant. What I want to do next is something with body pieces, i.e armor, surcoats or some flavor like that. However this leads into a tricky point, besides the fact that there's many different kinds of body armor which effects the rigging process, what's the biggest problem for me is HANDS. For my mini rosters mod, I basically took vanilla hands and added a different texture, then I had a lot of trial and error with the positioning. I don't want people to go through that, so I'm trying to think of a way to streamline the process. The reason why I did that in the first place was because most mount and blade osp models have separate meshes for the hands, plus giving Rome 2's animations system, all the fingers would have to be rigged. What I'm thinking about doing is because of the many variations of armor people could have, Part 2 is going to basically be a collection of tips and references to stuff not mentioned in Part 1. Because the most of the stuff regarding textures and set up are covered already. We'll see.

So I'm trying to import a new weapon model, are all the steps the same as the helmet?

I'll get to it. It's actually easier in many ways, but trickier in one. Most of the steps are the same except you don't have to rig it to anything! It can be attached to one of the weapons bones in TWeak. I would add it to the Max project file of the shield example, since that one doesn't have any bones in it. The one part where it's trickier is the position. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this efficiently myself. You have to make sure that the weapon model is in the right position in Max so when you see it in game it's in the soldier's hand. However there's a problem with this. Weapons are basically positioned at the feet in TWeak and such, so you have to mimic a position of an existing sword model so it comes out right. This isn't exactly hard, it just involves a lot of trial and error.

One correction, when you say "So we need to go into the ultities tab on the right (a hammer symbol)", correct me if I am wrong but it seemed to me that I had to go to the Display tab next to the utilities tab on the right.

I had some issues with trying to paint the rigging - the entire helmet is red and even if I 'select' a different bone (neck vs head) I can't have the painting do anything to the helmet model, like you were able to with the shades of blue to red.

Otherwise it seems to work, I've gotten it into TWeak and I am sure once I do the texture fully it'll be ready to go ingame. Just not sure if the rigging will work properly. I'll report back in a sec.

Edit: Yeah, it doesn't bug out horribly ingame but the rigging is not satisfactory. Is there any way I could copy rigging from another helmet, or do you need me to explain in more detail the issue I'm having with being unable to rig the neck?

Edit 2: Interesting. I managed somehow to be able to brush, but then it proved not necessary once I got it ingame. I guess only stuff with coifs and the like will really need rigging, else it's more likely to follow the neck.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 20, 2014 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    I'll get to it. It's actually easier in many ways, but trickier in one. Most of the steps are the same except you don't have to rig it to anything! It can be attached to one of the weapons bones in TWeak. I would add it to the Max project file of the shield example, since that one doesn't have any bones in it. The one part where it's trickier is the position. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this efficiently myself. You have to make sure that the weapon model is in the right position in Max so when you see it in game it's in the soldier's hand. However there's a problem with this. Weapons are basically positioned at the feet in TWeak and such, so you have to mimic a position of an existing sword model so it comes out right. This isn't exactly hard, it just involves a lot of trial and error.
    Thanks so much for the quick response! This'll definitely be useful when I get to it.

Warman, did you figure out how to get the new model to make use of decal_dirtmap, like some Rome 2 models use? I tried assigning it the proper decal dirtmap mask and map (I think they were called), imitating what I saw on the Roman Squamata 3dsmax file CA included, but it doesn't compile the model with those texture entries.

Also, have you figured out how we need to designate a crest mount point? I think you have to specify where on the model the central crest point is - else I don't know how a Phrygian helmet can have that point be at one spot, a montefortino another.
    Last edited by Ahiga; April 22, 2014 at 02:57 AM.

I can't say I have. The crest thing I've barely looked into though, so I'll see what I can do. Also I'm trying to figure out a way to get horse models and skeletons to run through BOB and such properly. I can use the Ultimate Unwrap 3D method to get the horse models I need. I know CA has stated that motionbuilder is used for new skeletons. I actually forgot that. I've also changed the rules.bob so it goes to "horse_r2" instead of the human skeleton. I'll keep you guys posted on the matter.

Well in the mean time if you need to have a crest for one of your medieval models, the best (only) solution is the alpha channel trick - find a helmet that almost matches yours in where you want the crest, alpha channel out everything of the helmet, then load it in as either a side crest or if you are using a side crest then as an accessory. I can post my Variant MD code to explain how you set it up if you need me to.

Appreciate the hard work. If I manage to fix the decal dirtmap not showing up, I'll report how.

I wonder how hard it would be to rig a whole character model Lol. I want to make a Chivalry medieval warfare mod.

Warman, is there a specific bone I should attach a sword to? I've been trying to do your process (minus the rigging to head/neck) for swords, but to no avail.

And as true to Total-War-Center-Law, the minute I post this the next try I fix it. Think I was doing reference weapon 1/2/ect, not -bone- weapon 1/2.
    Last edited by Ahiga; May 01, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

lol, there's no rigging, just positioning. You attach weapons to the respective weapon bone in TWeak, not in Max. No what you need to do is put the weapon in the same spot as it would be in sight TWeak. Basically by the feet. I would use a current sword as a reference point in TWeak. It should be in the same position as that current sword. Yes, this requires trial and error. UNLESS you have Ultimate Unwrap 3d. Then you can go through the motions with that program and then use the import step above. I would also import it to the shield example since that example has no bones in it. You have to do this because weapons and shields can't go through mod if there's bones there. Then take your sword model and place it in the same spot as the old one, then delete the old model. I would put whatever textures you need the same way as with a helmet except change the shader material to "default". Then export it and you should be good to go,

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

warman shall bring us Medieval 3!!!!!!
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    lol, there's no rigging, just positioning. You attach weapons to the respective weapon bone in TWeak, not in Max. No what you need to do is put the weapon in the same spot as it would be in sight TWeak. Basically by the feet. I would use a current sword as a reference point in TWeak. It should be in the same position as that current sword. Yes, this requires trial and error. UNLESS you have Ultimate Unwrap 3d. Then you can go through the motions with that program and then use the import step above. I would also import it to the shield example since that example has no bones in it. You have to do this because weapons and shields can't go through mod if there's bones there. Then take your sword model and place it in the same spot as the old one, then delete the old model. I would put whatever textures you need the same way as with a helmet except change the shader material to "default". Then export it and you should be good to go,
    Yeah I think I solved the issue. I had to move the sword up a bit to get it to synch up with where the R2 swords were placed. I do have UU3d,though I think the placement differs during the conversion process - it was right where the Spatha was in UU3d, and in 3dsmax, but I had to move it up on the X (I think) axis a bit to make it match up in TWEAK.

The new conundrum I'd hope to ask you about is if it's possible to copy the rigging of say, the roman full skin 3dsmax file that CA gave us, and paste that rigging onto an edited body?

Maybe I didn't quite understand the texture part, because BOB keeps refusing the conversion, giving me only this error:

Texture folder: variantmeshes/_variantmodels/man/helmets/texERROR: Weighted mesh 'CatHelmet_lod1 subobject 0' is trying to use a Rigid Mesh shader 'standard'.
    Failed.
    Do you have any idea why? I've been using the DirectX Shaders as you've shown us in the screenshots.

Last edited by Freelancer Tex; May 07, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

If you are depressed, just stop being depressed.
    - Ace Rimmer | March 18th ,2014

Edit: Delete.
    Last edited by Ahiga; May 13, 2014 at 06:38 AM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Thank you warman for this tutorial, I finally managed to import an armour from M&B, after a few unsuccessful and annoying tries.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast