Page 92 of 98 FirstFirst ... 42678283848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 1951

Thread: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Default Re: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Probably is. But you can be snide and point out since Israel gets a huge part of its defense budget from the US I am rather sure thay really cannot buy anything but USA with massive consequences. Personally I'm glad to see the new F-15 get traction.

Its not BVR in concept I have issues with its doing effectively outside of an exclusion zone and with the limited missile load stealth demands. Which is my really problem with the F-35 not its a bad plane per say but rather that I think it was a mistake to end the F-22, and to only produce the F-35 as a limited fighter A/C types (as an upgrade to the F-117). Certainty the B is mistake with a solid 4.5 gen ground up design likely better and cheaper for a jump jet. But the B is a must buy now because it is the only option in class.
    I believe I read that the F-15X is a bit of a desperation play fro the Air Force because Lockheed Martin can't make F-35s fast enough.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    I believe I read that the F-15X is a bit of a desperation play fro the Air Force because Lockheed Martin can't make F-35s fast enough.
    To some extent. But I would also a industrial base decision and the face the F-15x simply has more range, more loiter time, more capacity and well can win a dog fight when stealth BVR is not allowed.

-------------

In any case LM better get their crap in a sock because they got new orders

https://dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/si...stovl-aircraft

Having the only new VSTOL/STOVL airplane seems to have paid off.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The BUFF! (B-52). It might never die...

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/ge...-ai-1844107214

If thay do pull this off I think a ton of engineers, designers, skilled tradesmen and line workers most of whom are likely passed deserve a medal of some kind for making a design that just keeps getting upgraded and repurposed. I would be happy to pay the taxes if they eek it out to 3000. Even the current 2050 date for retirement is an epic of solid design It will outlast the B1 and B2
    Last edited by conon394; June 22, 2020 at 07:52 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Indefinitely Banned

China's J-20 can also go from stealth to 'beast mode' to waste white americans, including B-2 bombers:
    China’s J-20 fighter jet has ‘beast mode’ for arms
    Usually, stealth aircraft hide their weapons in bays to keep a low radar profile, making them difficult to be detected, and using external pylons to carry weapons will make them less stealthy but more powerful, a Chinese military expert who asked for anonymity told the Global Times on Wednesday.

The warplanes can choose different types of loadouts according to different mission requirements, the expert said.

This is similar to the US' F-35 fighter jet, which has a "stealth mode" that can only carry a small amount of internal ordnance and a "beast mode" that can carry a lot more internal and external ordnance, the eastday.com report said.
    Source: https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1190446.shtml

This is a thread on military procurement, and the J-20 amongst other units has entered service.
    Last edited by Exarch; June 22, 2020 at 09:41 PM.

Senator

I must admit, the J 20 looks nice.

@Exarch

Err so China can do basically do something already proven on multiple Russian and US platforms?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    It seems you were right with your advice to the Air Force to not relay only on their shiny new stealth toys.

Stealthy no more? A German radar vendor says it tracked the F-35 jet in 2018 — from a pony farm

Now, German radar-maker Hensoldt claims to have tracked two F-35s for 150 kilometers following the 2018 Berlin Air Show in Germany in late April of that year. The company’s passive radar system, named TwInvis, is but one of an emerging generation of sensors and processors so sensitive and powerful that it promises to find previously undetectable activities in a given airspace.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/intel-geoin...m-a-pony-farm/

I guess, its only a matter of time, when other nations (Russia, China..) will detect a F 35 on a combat mission.
    Has nothing to do with F 35, but Eurofighter got a new AESA radar.

Electronic beam scanning combined with flexible radar resource management provide outstanding detection performance and ensure simultaneous multi-target tracking, missile guidance and perception of the situation.
    The Eurofighter’s nose is larger than that of all the comparable fighters, which means that the antenna is much larger and consequently more powerful than that of competing aircraft. This, together with the ability to mechanically rotate the antenna with a larger angle of view, increases both the detection area and the field of regard in comparison with other AESA radar systems.

https://www.hensoldt.net/products/ra...aptor-e-radar/
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Indefinitely Banned

@Exarch

Err so China can do basically do something already proven on multiple Russian and US platforms?
    Well there's one American thing China hasn't done, and that's to create the world's most expensive stealth fighter only to be detected by German radar.

That is "let them eat cake" type profligacy.

Also, in the vein of some unrelated military procurement stories since i too, am getting bored of Ukraine, China has developed radar to negate white american stealth:

China’s meter wave anti-stealth radar capable of guiding missiles to destroy stealth aircraft: senior designer
    Source: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1151216.shtml

Well there's one American thing China hasn't done, and that's to create the world's most expensive stealth fighter only to be detected by German radar.
    Flying on a know route that was filed with civilian air traffic while have intentionally degrade its steal so to you know not run into civilian air traffic - bravo .

Ah yes a PR piece. I see no test results...

Really Exarch can loose the bizarre racism you have to interject into every post it is rather childish and boring and this point. Just stick in your tag line so we can all fondly notice it than you only have to type it once. So those super computes not so hot to crow about the list now.

Indefinitely Banned

Flying on a know route that was filed with civilian air traffic while have intentionally degrade its steal so to you know not run into civilian air traffic - bravo ..
    Excuses, excuses; this is coming from the military that had to tweak a war-game so that the american army could win in a hypothetical war against Iran.

Face it, the US military is a corrupt bureaucratic mess, filled less with warriors than apparatchiks.

Ah yes a PR piece. I see no test results...

Really Exarch can loose the bizarre racism you have to interject into every post it is rather childish and boring and this point. Just stick in your tag line so we can all fondly notice it than you only have to type it once. So those super computes not so hot to crow about the list now
    you wound me; i desire very much to wonder at the latest military procurement and technological advances.

For instance,

China’s hypersonic cruise missile sees technological breakthrough: reports
    A top Chinese science institute recently made record-breaking progress in a scramjet program which Chinese media speculate could lead to significant advances in the development of China's hypersonic cruise missile, another type of hypersonic weapon that is more powerful than China's DF-17 hypersonic glide-boost missile.

A team led by Fan Xuejun at the Institute of Mechanics under the Chinese Academy of Sciences has developed a type of scramjet that ran continuously for 600 seconds in a ground test, Weihutang, a program on military affairs affiliated with state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV), reported on over the weekend.

This broke the world record of 210 seconds set by the US' X-51 aircraft, Weihutang said.

A powerful scramjet, also known as supersonic combustion ramjet, is crucial for a hypersonic cruise missile to reach hypersonic speed, but developing one is highly challenging due to issues with heat resistant materials and cooling of the engine, the report said.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    gibberish...in a ground test...gibberish
    to use your own words..

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    Excuses, excuses;
    Come back when it is flying and after succesful tests
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

you wound me
    All apologies,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA

but thank you for post without some odd Anglo or white racist crap.

The Boeing X-51 Waverider was you know actually flying? Thus its time is matter of record a private test is matter of report.

filled less with warriors than apparatchiks.
    I rather it had no warriors and only soldiers. Warriors are reckless.

Also on the game one iteration and technically not an invasion of Iran. And you might consider

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Praying_Mantis

Or the fact that Syria and Iranian proxies have shot some 1000 missiles at Israeli planes and downed 1.
    Last edited by conon394; June 23, 2020 at 07:25 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

The F-35 Lightning, despite its namesake and billion dollar price tag can't handle lightning-something commercial jets have already mastered.

Thanks to a problem with a key safety feature, Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Lightning II is once again unable to safely weather a hit from a lightning bolt.

Source: https://sputniknews.com/military/202...-in-lightning/

The United States is like a mafia state that forces its vassals to buy its shonky products.

More balanced report here

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2020...ng-once-again/

Does not effect the B, or seeming the C. Looks Like a manufacturing issue with the A alone. But while it may surprise Exacrh I agree the US is still paying the price for shooting at absoultly bleeding edge tech and not taking a step back. Meaning of course all the planes are still basically beta tests. Concurrent production should be banned by Congress outside of an actual peer war.

Its also worth noting that given the cascade of tweets and fixes to all three I not entirely sure thay can be just ABC anymore - without much fanfare thay seem to be evolving into distinct types. I imagine that is why the uber tech supply BS system is having so much trouble
    Last edited by conon394; June 26, 2020 at 01:00 PM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

I think there is more. USA is only producer of 5th gen plane. Development, prototyping is important but actually making construction line that is capable of producing units in large quantities is another often overlooked feature. Russia is having a few dozens of planes and China as well. And while anybody can start development of new plane, USA will have great advantage for any next 5-6th gen plane.

Good example is Russia where every SU-57 is almost special version and honestly go and check how quickly they are able to produce T-14 tank (yeah tank ! ) ...because because there is no production line.
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 26, 2020 at 01:44 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    I think there is more. USA is only producer of 5th gen plane. Development, prototyping is important but actually making construction line that is capable of producing units in large quantities is another often overlooked feature. Russia is having a few dozens of planes and China as well. And while anybody can start development of new plane, USA will have great advantage for any next 5-6th gen plane.

Good example is Russia where every SU-57 is almost special version and honestly go and check how quickly they are able to produce T-14 tank (yeah tank ! ) ...because because there is no production line.
    Nice catch I missed the cut back to the T-14.

Could be like the F-35 a bit too much tech at the cutting edge tossed at the wall and with low oil prices just not enough money to gut it out until you fix the problems. Also loosing India on the SU -57 has to hurt.
    Last edited by conon394; June 28, 2020 at 02:50 PM.

Been a while I suppose I hould figure out how to edit the title of this but whatever

So Australia is dropping France and going to join the SSN club interesting...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ubmarine-force

Interesting decision. Means Australia might be walking into a grey on the non proliferation treaty unless it going to contract the nuclear maintenance out of the US/UK. Also I wounder a modified design or just an off the shelf Virginia or Astute to avoid the cost problems they had with the cost over runs on their French sub they dropped. The US Navy production is not keeping up with LA class retirements [But many of those have been early and the navy could slow them down]. So I wonder if the the UK has more slack capacity not something I follow.

I assume China is annoyed?

Praeses

Been a while I suppose I hould figure out how to edit the title of this but whatever

So Australia is dropping France and going to join the SSN club interesting...

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...ubmarine-force

Interesting decision. Means Australia might be walking into a grey on the non proliferation treaty unless it going to contract the nuclear maintenance out of the US/UK. Also I wounder a modified design or just an off the shelf Virginia or Astute to avoid the cost problems they had with the cost over runs on their French sub they dropped. The US Navy production is not keeping up with LA class retirements [But many of those have been early and the navy could slow them down]. So I wonder if the the UK has more slack capacity not something I follow.

I assume China is annoyed?
    Oh China is annoyed. We had really crappy internet all yesterday, that usually happens when Winnie gets unhappy.

The decision is absolute political dynamite. Not concerned if we burn France, they are irrelevant for us, and its a very natural thing for us to support or chief ally by buying their stuff. However the move to anything nuclear breaks a decades long position of Australian governments of all stripes.

The present government is beset by corruption and rape allegations, and has botched the immunisation program so badly we are 3-6 months behind where we should be. I think this is a rabbit they are pulling out of a hat as a stunt.

We don't have the technical capacity to build or maintain nuclear vessels. The sub bases in South Australia are a pork barrel waste of money, no way would you let a reactor near those people.

Maybe if they are UberSubs, skeleton US crews drive over on call and pick up Aussie crews, but the ownership stays with the US? Not sure how we can possibly make or even maintain real nuclear reactors. I mean Australia has the scinetists sure, we have a research reactors for medical radioactive material, but our military contractors should not be let within miles of this tech, they are a corrupt joke.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

It's great.

France is absolutely livid, they read about losing their 50 odd billion Euro contract in the papers, it also means the loss of a partner for security in the Pacific, of which France has a significant vested interest. France really needed this partnership, but it wasn't really as important for Australia.

Questions are also being asked in Canada and New Zealand as to why their governments also found out about this in the news, given that they are also Pacific partners in Five Eyes.

Either way... I think you're right Cyclops... there is no way this is producing anything meaningful for the next while. Replacing an actual contract with a fluff maybe kinda agreement that might never happen. It sells well to conservatives in Australia and Hawks in the US. That's about it.

In the short term, maybe painting an Australian flag on a US sub might help avoid Congressional oversight on US defence budgets, giving them more subs under basically direct control that they can just dump on Australia to clean up once they've had enough of them.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

I'm not sure I be so cynical out of the gate.

So look at it this way Australia buys a proven design from either the US or UK. But also just starts sending tomorrow rated sub officers and crew to work on US or UK subs. I not sure Australia needs its own capacity to repair or fix the subs (regular maintenance sure but say the mid life nuclear refit can always be handed over than you don't to spend on the nuclear infrastructure) and the 3 way deal kinda insulates Australia from political shifts in the US or the UK they are not both likely to go pro China. But if Biden is serious I would shove this through congress while he still has it as a treaty level thing and not just executive agreement.