Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4469848586878889909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1951

Thread: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Default Re: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Australia is not in NATO.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Some unrelated recent military procurment storiess since I am getting bored of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Australia is not in NATO.
    Australia doesn't need to be. The last time an Australian PM dared to act on his own country's interests rather than those of the US and UK, he got couped out of power by CIA and MI6.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Maybe Macron shouldn't have called NATO brain dead? Sure, USA screwed France with Australia's help but it is ironic of France making a fuss over lack of solidarity in NATO when France itself undermined that openly, starting with Libya.
    It probably wouldn't be a normal day if France wasn't complaining about it's allies in one way or another.

Citizen

Is that what we call people tricking you out of 50 billion + expenses? "Allies"?
    Kek.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Civitate

Is that what we call people tricking you out of 50 billion + expenses? "Allies"?
    Kek.
    Like the French you seem to be taking this hard. It's a submarine deal. Yes France got screwed but welcome to the world of competitive military sales and geopolitical interests. France got outplayed.

But hey if they don't to be friends France strike out on its own. Maybe it can supply its own troops for France's own adventures in Africa instead of US logistics doing it for them.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Like the French you seem to be taking this hard.
    No, I have zero stakes in it. I'm amused more than anything.

It's a submarine deal. Yes France got screwed but welcome to the world of competitive military sales and geopolitical interests. France got outplayed.
    France won the competition, in case you didn't notice. But you got the outplayed part right. I wonder what the term for competing geopolitical interests are... Hm, apparently it's "allies".

But hey if they don't to be friends France strike out on its own. Maybe it can supply its own troops for France's own adventures in Africa instead of US logistics doing it for them.
    Agreed. About time more Murrican troops get sent somewhere, now that they got kicked out of Afghanistan.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; September 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM.

Civitate

No, I have zero stakes in it. I'm amused more than anything.
    France won the competition, in case you didn't notice. But you got the outplayed part right.
    Evidently not as Australia is not going to be buying/building French submarines are they? America was able to do sink the French deal pretty easily. Guess the French couldn't offer the same deal the US could

Agreed. About time more Murrican troops get sent somewhere, now that they got kicked out of Afghanistan.
    If France wants to go support tin-pot dictatorships like Chad they can do it with their troops and their logistics if they please. Not gonna hold my breath though. Europeans still don't have the ability to operate outside their borders without US logistics.

Citizen

What I read from you, apart from that you don't know the distinction between a competition and this, is that your view of alliances isn't between peers. Did I get this right?

In that vein, don't you think there are better terms for that? Vassals? Satrapies?

Civitate

What I read from you, apart from that you don't know the distinction between a competition and this, is that your view of alliances isn't between peers. Did I get this right?
    Allies do compete with each other. Did you not realize that? Especially in terms of military sales. Look at India. The US is trying to out-compete France there as well. This is fairly normal.

Oh and thanks for mentioning the competition. It's irrelevant. France won it over the German and Japanese bids but evidently Australia decided that what the Americans were offering was better. Outplayed.

In that vein, don't you think there are better terms for that? Vassals? Satrapies?
    You sure you're not taking this hard? The hyperbole from you is amazing.

Like the French you seem to be taking this hard. It's a submarine deal. Yes France got screwed but welcome to the world of competitive military sales and geopolitical interests. France got outplayed.

The posts being responded to are bad faith criticisms which come from a place of opposition to Anglo-American foreign policy. It is perfectly well understood that while allied nations share security/defense interests, they still compete with one another economically and politically, especially in peacetime.

Civitate

The posts being responded to are bad faith criticisms which come from a place of opposition to Anglo-American foreign policy. It is perfectly well understood that while allied nations share security/defense interests, they still compete with one another economically and politically, especially in peacetime.
    I figured that. Honestly the French deal was bad.

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-...ench-sub-deal/

That is a great articling detailing several points on why Australia abandoned the French deal. And a lot of it has to do with the French themselves.

Citizen

bad faith criticisms
    sure cope. This is always your fallback. Quite ironic that your other catchphrase is "gainsaying is not an argument".

Civitate

sure cope. This is always your fallback. Quite ironic that your other catchphrase is "gainsaying is not an argument".
    He's not wrong. Your bias is obvious and you have avoided talking about the actual deal and instead just focused on the US and how bad they treated poor old France.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Did not see this explosion of posts on this thread. But France it seems to me always had a weak hand if a better offer came down the sea way. Australia was trying to push DE boat to the max to what an SSN can do easy. Also while everyone is always talking AIP it worth reconsidering they are a really slow doing anything but loitering slowly really reduces their ability to be the stealth weapons that everyone takes away from the first front line sales pitch. Plus nothing I read quickly say France was offering an AIP option just plain DE. I stand correction on that - like said I just did a quick look at background.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Did not see this explosion of posts on this thread. But France it seems to me always had a weak hand if a better offer came down the sea way. Australia was trying to push DE boat to the max to what an SSN can do easy. Also while everyone is always talking AIP it worth reconsidering they are a really slow doing anything but loitering slowly really reduces their ability to be the stealth weapons that everyone takes away from the first front line sales pitch. Plus nothing I read quickly say France was offering an AIP option just plain DE. I stand correction on that - like said I just did a quick look at background.
    Well the price was certainly bad. The original French deal was 12 Barracudas for 31 billion dollars. That cost ballooned to 56 billion dollars. After factoring in maintenance, the cost went to 91 billion dollars.

12 diesel subs are not worth upwards to 91 billion dollars over their life.

Australia doesn't need to be. The last time an Australian PM dared to act on his own country's interests rather than those of the US and UK, he got couped out of power by CIA and MI6.
    Whoa, I never even heard of this before. Weird how Commonwealth nations are considered "democratic", but then there are all those cookie medieval laws that basically annul all democratic choice or makes it purely symbolic. Kinda reminds me of how "privy councils" work here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Whoa, I never even heard of this before. Weird how Commonwealth nations are considered "democratic", but then there are all those cookie medieval laws that basically annul all democratic choice or makes it purely symbolic. Kinda reminds me of how "privy councils" work here in Canada.
    The evidence for the alleged CIA/MI6 "coup" which occurred during the Australian constitutional crisis is speculative or inferred. No one will be surprised to learn that one of the star witnesses mentioned in the Guardian article, Christoper Boyce, was later convicted of spying for the Soviet Union. In any case, the affair has nothing to do with the Franco-Australian submarine deal.

Praeses

...It was the Australian side IIRC that chose diesel power...
    I don't know about the younger generation, but since WWII the Australian electorate has been pretty wary of nuclear power. We have a research/medical reactor at Lucas Heights, and even that gets protested loudly.French nuclear testing in the pacific caused real anger heree as did the terrorist attack on NZ by French intel on the Rainbow Warrior (some hippy do gooders got killed).

My guess is the Morrison Government was sunk at the next election anyway (with the corruption and various rape scandals, and the cover up and the payment scandal, and the vaccine care and go-slow), but this deal makes sure it will be a massacre.

That said the strategic sense in it is strong. As Van and Ant say, thus gives Australia a way top pay for a place in the front line and back up our number 1 ally. The spin in the news is it was necessary but the divorce with France was fumbled.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I don't know about the younger generation, but since WWII the Australian electorate has been pretty wary of nuclear power. We have a research/medical reactor at Lucas Heights, and even that gets protested loudly.French nuclear testing in the pacific caused real anger heree as did the terrorist attack on NZ by French intel on the Rainbow Warrior (some hippy do gooders got killed).
    My sense is that this came so far out of left field for the activist community, that they're still out eating smashed avo on toast for $30 a plate and wont be meeting up to discuss it at the local anarchist clubrooms till mid-week. Labor are OK with the deal at the moment, but that doesn't really mean anything these days. The second someone says "Australian's to miss out on new European trade deal" they'll see their chance to flip.

This deal is going to happen tho. You don't flip off a key ally for the world's largest power and flip back. We're going to have to wear what ever tantrum the Euros throw at us now. Today's Economist makes the reason for French upset clear:

Spoiler for Economist
    “The Americans completely overlooked the fact that this wasn’t just a commercial contract,” says Benjamin Haddad, at the Atlantic Council in Washington, DC: “It was the underpinning of France’s Indo-Pacific strategy.”

https://www.economist.com/europe/202...alian-sub-deal

Make no mistake, the French are embarrassed. Very. There are more French citizens in the Pacific than there are people in countries like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa combined, and a great many of them are conservative retirees who vote. With China's push into the Pacific, France (and the Euros) really wanted to be leaders in the region, rather than bit players. My feeling is it is going to cost something public, and knowing that this was going on behind backs for a while means trust will take a lot of rebuilding, but in private over the long term they'll play realpolitik behind closed doors - you win some you lose some. A few interactions will be cancelled, but it's not like we'll stop doing military exercises with the French Navy in the Indo-Pacific, and long term we'll probably see this new assemblage of letters alliance work with or even include France, and probably India too.
    Last edited by antaeus; September 18, 2021 at 10:10 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Citizen

He's not wrong. Your bias is obvious and you have avoided talking about the actual deal and instead just focused on the US and how bad they treated poor old France.
    Nice projection you got going there mate. I'm not French for one, and secondly even if I were I would not waste every thought on "how can I twist reality so it's what I want it to be". But most importnatly I have talked about the deal a fair bit and I have not heard an actual argument against any of the points I have brought up.

Neither you or cope have brought up, and for my knowledge, you're probably completely unawares of it, the best argument the pro-new-deal argument would have had. Nor am I going to hand it to you to free, though, so better search if you want to give something.

Anyway, let's disregard for one that your claim that France lost the competition is 100% false and that as pointed out by me in #1868 the American deal was obtained completely differently. Let's disregard that the whole discussion about pros and cons regarding diesel vs nuclear is completely moot because, even though you seem to be completely unawares of it, the French sub is originally nuclear propulsed (as ALL French subs are), and that the desire to have it diesel driven was entirely Australian and was done after much deliberation (read on the Australian arguments pro and con here - but who am I kidding, you won't).

All this pushed aside, my point is astoundlingly simple: It's an exceptionally bad idea to piss on someone's leg you're trying to be friends with.

Me personally? I don't like French foreign policy. I don't like that they still perpetuate their colonial empire. You got my bias exactly wrong. But as much as I laugh at the Australian-French declaration underlining "the importance of the Future Submarine program" and agreeing "to strengthen military scientific research cooperation through a strategic partnership" in August when the decision to cancel the deal had been made somewhere between April and June, because it's absolutely hilarious, I don't purposefully delude myself into pretending this is normal, or that the French reaction isn't understandable.