Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanish units

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Spanish units

NB: flag replaced with Cross of Burgundy in existing release.

Early:

generic Spanish foot officer:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

musketeers (earliest):

musketeers (later):
    image soon already in mod

musketeers (mid-century):
    image soon already in mod

light pikemen:

heavy pikemen:

Neapolitan pikemen:

Herreruelos:

Harquebusiers/Herguliteros (next release):

Reformed cuirassiers (next release):

Guardia del Rey pikemen:

Guardia del Rey musketeers:

Guardia del Rey cavalry:

Dragoons:

---
    Late:

Pasteur dragoons:

Salzedo dragoons:

Guardia del Rey musketeers (late):

Toledo pikeman (very late):

2nd Seville regt (latest):

Jaen pikemen (latest):

Barcelona regt (latest):

2nd Toledo regt:

Reino de Valencia regt:

Henry Gage regt:

Diego Porter regt:

Granada regt:

2nd Valladolid regt:

1st Valladolid regt:

Neapolitan musketeers (next release):

Neapolitan heavy pikeman (late):
    image soon

Neapolitan viceroy guard:
    image soon

Neapolitan arquebusiers:[/spoiler]image soon[/spoiler]

Late cuirassiers:

More to follow.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 07, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Spanish units

Great Work! LOVE IT!

This drummer is in the next release and is based on sources from the reign of Carlos II. Basically the drummers seem to have dressed like the rank and file except with this red/yellow checkerboard pattern. Below is the Tercio of Toledo. They also continued to carry the musket rest into the 1690s.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Stunning unit, Geronimo.

Geronimo, can i help with spanish units? some of them might need some corrections. i have a lot of book sources.

Quote Originally Posted by tryadelion View Post
    Geronimo, can i help with spanish units? some of them might need some corrections. i have a lot of book sources.
    Feel free to post your sources and corrections here.

The stuff he sent me seem additional to what we know rather than contradictory. However we can still use them for some early units.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

today i will send a bigger batch (this time to correct)some early and the late units ingame, mostly names and colours of regiments.

late period uniform and naming correction proposal :

first of all, the drummer you proposed wit the rank colours and the checker pattern is correct , and i say this because many use sources from later periods and end doing all the drummers in blue with the checker pattern. the checker pattern to follow is red and white squares (or triangles) for almost every tercio, except for special tercios. i have constance of 2 diferenced patterns: red/yellow for the tercio of barcelona & red/blue for the tercio of the reign of valencia.

now to the in-game units:

from left to right:

the currently named 2nd tercio of toledo should be called Tercio viejo de Castilla ( Morados Viejos). it was created by felipe IV in 1634. drummer and flagman are still unchanged. (refering to the prior iamge shown by geronimo)

2nd sevilla regiment should be called Tercio Nuevo de Sevilla. (the tercio viejo de sevilla wears the same colors as the tercio de castilla). drummer is still unchanged.

the tercio de la ciudad de barcelona could be called "Terç de la ciutat de Barcelona", for it to be in it's regional language (just a suggestion), but the colour of their cuffs should be yellow.

speaking of yellow, the yellow of the tercio de burgos ( Amarillos viejos ) should be toned down a bit, i cna be of assistance with the colour change. canary yellow is an error of many early XXth century planks, it should be more orange.

the grenadiers of murcia could be called Tercio de Murcia ( Compañía de Granaderos ), to refer to the whole unit.

finally, the colorados viejos pikemen needs some fixing on their cuffs ans the napolitan ones, they clip through their arms.

more to come later, time to lunch. i can offer references, but most comes from personal reenacting experience on the late 17th and early 18th period and museums.

I'm aware of the elbow problem with some pikeman and have a fix ready for the next release thanks to team member uanime5.

Our sources on most of the long cuffed late units come from a document available on scribd.com.called the Spanish armies of the war of Grand Alliance. That war was 1688-97. The sources on the short cuffed units largely come from images shared by Carricanta from the reinado de Carlos II blog.

If you have images send to me or post here.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Valencia city regiment in green, valencia kingdom regiment in blue:

one type of unit not present in-game, catalan light infantry / skirmishers , called "Miquelets" (by the name of their two commanders, both being named Miquel ( michael)).

Late period

middle period ( 1650 )

early period ( 1620)

barcelona city regiment, late period:

later (not much) barcelona city regiment drummer on front, the horseman is a "Guardia del virrey" (Viceroy guard) dragoon, the red pikeman is a pikeman of the Generalitat's tercio, and the blue musketeer is a musketeer of the villefranche tercio.

for the yellow, this photo of a Barcelona city regiment reenactor group ( 1706-1714 period) shows one of the correct yellows, found using original tint charts and methods. a yellow so bright would not be possible. it's the same of the drawings.

more yellows, this time from an american colonial era reenactment fort, they dye with natural dyes using original recipes, look at the bright yellows, they are more pale, more "white / washed".

Last edited by tryadelion; July 14, 2015 at 03:45 PM.

I think that the green/redValencia regiment is in the game. However the other one in my mod has a blue/yellow uniform. Again a disagreement between your source and the scribd ebook. What's the difference between 1 and 2 in this picture? Is 2 an arquebusier?

Are you sure the red/yellow was worne by the Barcelona regiment in the 1600s and not just early 1700s? The scribd.com ebook on the War of the Grand Alliance shows this unit in redcoats with blue cuffs. Otherwise thanks and I'm happy to put these units in the mod.

Also I'm looking for information on how much the Spanish used the flintlock rather than the matchlock musket? In the mod I only let their grenadiers used them. Also those men with likes are pikeman yes - not officers?
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 15, 2015 at 02:37 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

There is no difference between 1 and 2, both are musketeers of the city regiment. The blue yellow is the early 1700 one, a philipist unit, to be concrete. The blue-red is an early uniform of the city regiment, around 1660. Do a quick search on Ripoll weapondmiths, in spain we invented the true flintlock, the miquelet lock, concretely in ripoll. Most ( for not saying all) regular units used flintlock by 1690, and so did almost every militia / regional unit of catalonia amd basque country, home of the main weapon factotiesm

Yes they are pikeman except the one with the spontoon.

Yes they are pikeman except the one with the spontoon.

There is no difference between 1 and 2, both are musketeers of the city regiment. The blue yellow is the early 1700 one, a philipist unit, to be concrete. The blue-red is an early uniform of the city regiment, around 1660. Do a quick search on Ripoll weapondmiths, in spain we invented the true flintlock, the miquelet lock, concretely in ripoll. Most ( for not saying all) regular units used flintlock by 1690, and so did almost every militia / regional unit of catalonia amd basque country, home of the main weapon factotiesm
    Can you provide a source on the flintlock being the main firearm by 1690? The Osprey book "the Spanish tercios" shows soldiers using matchlocks except grenadiers in the War of the Grand Alliance 1688-97. Also it says that while the flintlock was in Spanish use by the 18th century, "it did not replace the matchlock". I know the Spanish invented the miquelet flintlock. However an ebook I saw years ago written around 1975 said that the matchlock was the main weapon in Spanish Florida, until Spain switched to the flintlock in 1703

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I'm currently at work, when i come back home i will give some sources. Osprey is very brittish when talking of spain, if you know what i mean... In the colonies yes, matchlock was still used, as in the mainland militias.

A failure to adopt the flintlock would help explain the military decline of Spain.

Also what about the bayonet? And do you have images of the Black/Free Coloured militias?
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; July 15, 2015 at 03:44 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

i will translate the text, the source are " Breve historia de la guerra moderna"de Francesc Xavier Hernàndez i Xavier Rubio, 2010 - editorial Nowtilus, "Los tercios catalanes durante el reinado de Carlos II, 1665-1697 : el funcionamiento interno de una institución militar " de Antonio Espino López, 1998, Aragonese Crown Archive of barcelona (ACA-G), Accountings of the tercios, reference number G121-8/9 BC-AH 126.

"The sword, of barroque style, hangs from a holder called Bridecú, that keeps it on the back. from the same belt where the bridecú is attached hangs a pouch bag, containing the musket balls, and a plug bayonet.
    the military technology used in the tercios stablished on catalonia during the late 17th century ( 1680-1697 ) was really advanced in comparision to the past wars, the pikemen are dissapearing and the plug bayonet is starting to become a standard in the infatrymen, there are no lonquer arquebusiers in the ranks, and the old matchlock muskets have been replaced by flintlocks, most of them wearing the Catalan, or Miquelet, lock setting ( a system that was already being used in officer's pistols since the early 17th, and by the troops that gave it it's name, the Miquelets, rich countrymen and ex-bandits that joined the ranks of the skirmisher unit originally called " terços d'amlogàvars", during the same period, ~1630-40).
    we can also affirm that matchlock muskets were no longer used at any level after the start of the 9 years war, the accountings of the terços established in catalonia show that not a single match was bought during that period, and it shows a high amount of flints being purchased and assigned."

sorry, i have no images of colonial units from that early, the earliest i have is 1727 and 1760.

i will translate the text, the source are " Breve historia de la guerra moderna"de Francesc Xavier Hernàndez i Xavier Rubio, 2010 - editorial Nowtilus, "Los tercios catalanes durante el reinado de Carlos II, 1665-1697 : el funcionamiento interno de una institución militar " de Antonio Espino López, 1998, Aragonese Crown Archive of barcelona (ACA-G), Accountings of the tercios, reference number G121-8/9 BC-AH 126.

"The sword, of barroque style, hangs from a holder called Bridecú, that keeps it on the back. from the same belt where the bridecú is attached hangs a pouch bag, containing the musket balls, and a plug bayonet.
    the military technology used in the tercios stablished on catalonia during the late 17th century ( 1680-1697 ) was really advanced in comparision to the past wars, the pikemen are dissapearing and the plug bayonet is starting to become a standard in the infatrymen, there are no lonquer arquebusiers in the ranks, and the old matchlock muskets have been replaced by flintlocks, most of them wearing the Catalan, or Miquelet, lock setting ( a system that was already being used in officer's pistols since the early 17th, and by the troops that gave it it's name, the Miquelets, rich countrymen and ex-bandits that joined the ranks of the skirmisher unit originally called " terços d'amlogàvars", during the same period, ~1630-40).
    we can also affirm that matchlock muskets were no longer used at any level after the start of the 9 years war, the accountings of the terços established in catalonia show that not a single match was bought during that period, and it shows a high amount of flints being purchased and assigned."

sorry, i have no images of colonial units from that early, the earliest i have is 1727 and 1760.
    So the Catalans no longer used matchlocks. But what about in the rest of Spain? After all wasn't Catalonia wealthier than say Castille at this time?

I saw an image from 1683 of an arquebusier in the Spanish army of Naples. It's actually in the mod I think.

Thanks for info.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast