Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WEF 3.0 19th-Century Iteration Planning Thread

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: WEF 3.0 19th-Century Iteration Planning Thread

@Chesser Well part of the point to our Calhoun character is that he's responsible for helping decisively shift Southern attitudes toward slavery from a necessary evil to a positive good as the real Calhoun did, and that will inevitably be way worse in WEF-America due to butterflies stemming from the Maroon Question But simply being a hardcore racist ideologue in no way precludes agrarianism, support for states' rights up to & including Nullification, etc. which would fall under 'the interests of the proper Southern gentleman'. So how's this for a career trajectory - House Speaker 1793-1801, Senator 1801-1816, and Governor of Virginia 1816-1819, then back to the Senate with a possibility of becoming the Democratic VP or POTUS who won the 1824 election and is still sitting as of an 1828 start?

@Rose All acceptable to me. As the Legion d'honneur-wearing Phil Kearny demonstrated IRL, service in a foreign army doesn't prevent one from rising high in the American military and presumably, with such a record backing them, politics.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 10, 2014 at 08:20 PM.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

That will work for me barry.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Added notes on Thompson to the timelines. Also, here comes the 1817-1824 timeline:

1817-1824
    1817: Mississippi gains statehood, although Alabama Territory is split away from it at the demand of its settlers four months prior.

President X4 capitalizes on Spain's losing efforts to control its old colonies to reach the Drummond-Onis Treaty, snapping up Florida in exchange for $5 million - thereby satisfying even the most hawkish Democratic-Republicans while simultaneously kicking one of the major planks in their foreign policy platform since the American defeat in 1812 out from underneath them with this bloodless victory. This latest acquisition was to prove difficult to handle; aside from the Spanish settlers along the coasts and the Americans living up on the northern and western border areas, Florida's inner marshes were home to the tenacious Seminoles and a large group of freedmen & runaway slaves, some of them former soldiers in the British or Spanish armies, who lived with their families in and around the so-called 'Negro Fort'.

Once more, instead of turning to violence the Federalists would seek a negotiated solution; thus in an effort to secure peace in Florida while balancing the concerns of both Northern abolitionists, Southern slaveholders and all-American expansionist settlers, President X4 would first reach the Treaty of Moultrie Creek with the Seminole in August 1819, trading 24 million acres of Seminole land and recognition of the US federal government as the only legitimate government of Florida in exchange for a 4,000,000-acre reservation spanning from Kissimmee in deep central Florida to the southern Everglades and a steady stream of supplies and annual payments, and the Peace of Pensacola with the freedmen of the Negro Fort in December, recognizing them all as freedmen with exclusive settling rights to the Negro Fort and its immediate environs, as well as the right to elect their own Mayor (though they were still locked out of all other territorial elections and in time, state & national elections) issuing more annual cash compensations in exchange for their recognition of US authority and a cession to aid for new runaways from Georgia and Louisiana. An uneasy peace thus dawned over Florida as the Seminoles kept to themselves, the Negro Fort grew out into the community of 'Freetown' and white settlers quickly became a majority as more & more of them settled in the ceded Seminole lands - but the question on everyone's minds was, 'how long could this arrangement last'?

Depiction of a black militiaman at the 'Negro Fort', 1821

President X4 signs the Rogers-Bagot Treaty, partially demilitarizing the Great Lakes in an effort to cool tensions - and American tempers, as many Westerners and especially Southerners were still sore about losing the War of 1812.

1818: Illinois gains statehood.

1819: Alabama becomes a state.

The continued existence of the Bank of the United States is found to be constitutional by the Supreme Court in McCulloch v. Maryland.

The Panic of 1819 hits as the Bank of the United States attempts to rein in reckless speculation and forcing state-chartered banks to start backing their paper money with metals to curb the dramatic levels of inflation, which combined with the recovery of European agriculture since the Napoleonic Wars (and thus a decrease in their demand for American grain) resulted in widespread bankruptcies and fast-growing unemployment. Needless to say, the Democratic-Republicans just gained a ton of ammunition while the Federalists' domestic positions - high tariffs, a focus on internal improvements and the use of the Bank - took a hit, forcing them to rely on their largely solid foreign policy credentials as they geared up for next year's presidential election.

The issue of whether to admit Missouri as a free or slave state crops up when in response to the Democratic-Republican-held House passing the acceptance of Missouri as a slave state, the nearly eighty-year-old Senator George Saker of Massachusetts - a known abolitionist - proposes the Saker Amendment in the Senate, which would have extinguished slavery in the new state within a generation by forbidding the import of new slaves to the region and declaring that any child born to slaves on Missourian soil would in truth be born free. The Senate promptly exploded into a round of fierce debates over the 'Peculiar Institution', in which men such as senior Georgia Senator Edmund Wilson (one of Saker's bitterest rivals since their sons' less than pleasant working relationship with each other in the War of 1812 finally went down in flames) dared utter words such as 'disunion' in their protest. However, the boldest of Saker's enemies would prove to not even be Wilson but rather his almost-as-elderly counterpart and occasional Governor of South Carolina then-Senator Roland Rutledge, who proclaimed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator R. Rutledge, SC
    Sir, you have kindled a fire that all the waters in the world's oceans cannot hope to put out, that only seas of blood can extinguish! Truly I must tell you, if you insist on pursuing this destructive course of action - if you and your fellow Yankees would insist on making war on this greatest and most peculiar of Southern institutions - then the Union shall, not can but shall, surely be dissolved, and rightly so for its government will have exceeded itself. ... The Negro whom you evidently love more than I, your brother in the white race, is not and will never be ready for freedom. He needs our chains to guide him down the right path, and our whips to keep him from harming himself or others. ... Must I remind you of the Ides of March, and the fate that befell Caesar when he sought to exceed his prerogative and behave in a most tyrannical manner? I caution you to not make such mistakes, Sir.
    Saker clearly did not take these less-than-subtle threats well, if his equally inflammatory response is anything to go by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator G. Saker, MA
    Sir, if dissolution of the Union must take place, let it be so! If civil war, which you gentlemen of the South have threatened so gravely must come, I can only say, let it come! I am already old, and so my hold on life is frailer than that of any man who now hears me; but while the hold lasts, it shall be devoted to the principles on which this great nation was founded - to the freedom of man. If blood is necessary to extinguish any fire which I have assisted to kindle, I can assure you gentlemen that I have no intention of spilling even one drop of mine own - but I have every intention to spill every drop belonging to those who would stand against me instead. ... The lowest Negro slave is more a brother to me than any of the men who hold him in bondage, in direct contravention to all laws natural and spiritual. ... You say I should cease from persisting in my current course, that I should bend the knee to the gentlemen of the South and seal my lips whenever the question of slavery arises? Then it is with extreme pleasure that I utter these words now, where all of you may hear: I declare, I proclaim, I define your Peculiar Institution to be a vile blight upon this fair nation, one that strips the Negro of his birthright to freedom and falsely declares him an infantile brute in need of your civilizing whips where in truth he already possesses the intelligence to know his rights, and will always have the spirit to maintain them no matter how often you scourge his back - and that I intend to oppose said Institution unto my dying breath, and beyond!
    Saker's motion eventually failed when even a number of other Federalists broke ranks with him to appease the Southern Senators and thereby preserve the Union, and though he angrily cursed them all as 'Cowards and traitors to the very notion of decency and the common human race' his efforts obviously didn't change their minds, if anything it got him dismissed as a crazy old man by even more of them.

Senators Rutledge of South Carolina and Saker of Massachusetts

At the same time, Southern Senators also lobbied for Maine's entry into the Union as a slave state, which is received about as well as one would expect by the Northern Senators (for one thing, Senator Saker actually rose from his seat to throttle Senator Wilson of GA and had to be forced back down by his fellow Northern statesmen, exhibiting surprising strength for a man of his age all the while).

1820: Congress finally reaches the Missouri Compromise over objections from both extreme ends of the abolitionist-slavocratic spectrum, admitting Maine as a free state while guaranteeing Missouri's entry as a slave state next year and prohibiting slavery in all other territories north of the 36°30′ parallel.

The Missouri Compromise Line

The Federalist X7 is elected to succeed outgoing President X4 this year by a much narrower margin than his party had previously enjoyed, having barely eked out a majority of both electoral and popular votes after banking on the Missouri Compromise at home and foreign policy successes such as the Drummond-Onis Treaty. The Democratic-Republicans continued to hold the House while the Federalists majority in the Senate was weakened. Up North, this is notably the first election in which African-Americans participated on a large scale; the descendants of Maroons who could prove their ancestors had previously fought in the American Revolution or the War of 1812 were allowed the franchise in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Vermont. By 1824, this limited enfranchisement of Maroon descendants would be extended in Maine and New Hampshire as well.

Believing that the Coalition Powers would have no issue with them finishing off a Bonapartist-built state, the Ottoman Empire declares war on Greece. King Eugenios (Eugene de Beauharnais) rallies his subjects to defend their independence, and finds them willing to support him; though he had never converted away from Catholicism, he respected the Greeks' Orthodox beliefs and had worked with local elites to the point of permitting them to draft the national Constitution that he signed the year prior (though this did produce the odd side effect of making Greek Orthodoxy the state religion of a kingdom with a Catholic king).

Ferdinand VII of Spain is ousted in a coup sponsored by liberals and junior military officers, who were disgusted at his authoritarian and incompetent leadership and his reinstitution of the Jesuits. The King is kept under heavy guard by his captors and the Constitution of 1812 restored, to the great consternation of the Winter King ruling just across the border.

Taking advantage of the weakness of the Caribbean planter lobby (which still had to recover fully from the Americans' liberation of the entire slave population of the island nearly fifty years prior), Britain's powerful abolitionist lobby manages to ram through the total abolition of slavery across the Empire, albeit with monetary compensation for slaveholders.

1821: Missouri attains statehood.

Mexico gains its independence from Spain, and is proclaimed an Empire by Generalissimo Agustin de Iturbide, a Criollo and career soldier of wealthy origins with conservative leanings. Needless to say, he was immediately opposed by committed republicans Guadalupe Victoria and Vicente Guerrero.

1822: Ferdinand VII finally escapes his gaolers and appealed to the Congress of Vienna for help against the revolutionary cabal in control of Spain. Louis XVII practically jumps at this chance, and with the approval of the other Great Powers began to mobilize a mighty army on his side of the Pyrenees to obliterate the Spanish Liberal Junta.

Brazil declares its independence from Portugal and names Pedro, Crown Prince of Portugal its Emperor. A war between father and son erupts as King John VI of Portugal sent his armies across the Atlantic to bring the rebellious prince & his colony to heel. While Louis XVII was busy mapping out his campaign against the Spanish liberals, Napoleon Francois Bonaparte (AKA L'Aiglon or 'Napoleon II') and his younger brother Charles-Napoleon were able to flee their admittedly comfortable prison on Madeira; however, instead of going to France, where Napoleon II rightly reasoned that Louis XVII's position was still too powerful to overcome, they instead sailed to Brazil, where they found refuge at the court of Pedro I and Napoleon II in particular joined the newborn Imperial Brazilian Army as an artillery officer - just like his old man.

The twenty-two-year-old heir to the British throne, Prince George of Wales (b. 16 February 1800) marries Sophie Wilhelmine, Princess of Sweden. The Prince of Wales utterly loathed his father, who mistreated him and his mother all his life, and had by this time cultivated the persona of a stoic, prim and religiously devout gentleman in direct contrast to the elder George's womanizing, hard-drinking and obnoxious manners; no doubt this was why he picked the Swedish princess, a haughty and imperious aristocrat who, as befitting the daughter of the restored Gustav IV Adolf, was similarly firmly conservative.

1823: At home, a high tariff promoted by the Federalists (who had just gained a majority in the House) is shot down - not just by Southern and Western-based Democratic-Republicans, but also by many of the newly elected Federalists, who hailed from the western ends of Pennsylvania and New York or Western states such as Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

France launches its expedition into Spain in support of Ferdinand VII, called the 'Hundred Thousand Sons of Saint Louis': exactly one hundred thousand soldiers marching under the fleur-de-lys and the supreme command of Marshal de la Rochejacquelein, with orders to annihilate the liberal Cortes & all who supported it. Harassed by conservative guerrillas in the less liberal countryside, fraught with infighting between partisans of different strains of liberalism and strapped for resources, the Liberal army was unable to put up much resistance until the French had already taken Madrid and were marching on the gates of Cadiz, where they were utterly defeated anyway. Ferdinand VII was returned to full power and promptly unleashed his terrible vengeance upon the defeated Liberals, executing thousands without trial. Although De la Rochejacquelein was reportedly disturbed by these developments, and especially angered at the slaughter of prisoners whose safety he had personally guaranteed in exchange for their surrender, Louis XVII publicly declared his support of 'our Spanish cousins' righteous efforts to extirpate the taint of liberalism entirely from their kingdom'. Ferdinand's atrocities were a sign of what was to come - the next 10 years of his rule would not be called the Ominous Decade for no reason, to be sure.

The French Army at Trocadero, 1823

Agustin I of Mexico finds his position threatened when Victoria, Guerrero and the republicans joined forces with Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, another career officer with high ambitions and whose sole concern was for #1. Santa Anna's reasons for joining the republicans are unclear; knowing what kind of man he was, he may have desired to overthrow Agustin and take the throne for himself, or set up a conservative republic with himself as President for life in an attempt to satisfy everyone (but especially himself). However, Santa Anna turned on the republicans at the last second and sold them all out to Agustin, who promptly squashed their undermanned and chaotic revolt before executing Guerrero (Victoria having fled into the countryside) & naming Santa Anna Governor of Veracruz as a reward for his timely shift of allegiance.

1824: This year's election is fraught with infighting in the ranks of both the Federalists and Democratic-Republicans, particularly over the issues of slavery and tariffs. The ruling Federalists were the first to crack: at their party convention in February, the meeting hall in Manhattan was fraught with heated discussions and at least two major brawls before the staunchly abolitionist and protectionist 'High Federalist' faction narrowly won out, ensuring that the party would nominate an abolitionist candidate with a platform of total (though financially compensated) abolition, the institution of high tariffs, an expansion of the Bank's scope and powers, and continued national improvements that year. The 'Low Federalists' walked out en masse; Southerners such as the Simonses and Drummonds wanted nothing to do with an abolitionist party, and Westerners/Northerners detested the centralizing policies of the High Federalists. The Democratic-Republicans too fractured in May, as the dominant Southern faction's insistence on making the preservation of slavery and an immediate war of expansion against Mexico simply to snap up new slave states was unpopular with the party's western wing: when the Southerners prevailed anyway and nominated X, a supporter of their ideals, said Westerners and Northerners walked out as well.

In this new vacuum, several ex-Democratic-Republicans would join the Federalists and vice-versa, but the majority of the defecting moderates joined forces to found their own party - the Whigs. Running on a moderate platform that abstained from discussing slavery and proposed medium tariff levels to support modest internal improvements, the Whigs proved their strength especially out West but still came in third, behind the Federalists. They did, however, damage the Federalist Party badly enough to sink President X7's bid for reelection, resulting in a Democratic victory. For the first time in 12 years, America would have a non-Federalist President.

The last Spanish army in the New World is decisively beaten at Ayacucho, ending Madrid's rule over their colonies forever.

Again, tell me what you think, and if you want any of your characters or their predecessors/heirs to crop up here.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; May 22, 2014 at 09:44 PM.

Minor interesting tidbit of the day that I've just discovered: people back in the 1800s apparently went to university a hell of a lot earlier than us. And I'm not talking at age 15-16 either, though of course that was often the case (Charles Sumner graduated from Harvard in 1830 at age 19 and passed the bar two years later, John C. Fremont started attending the College of Charleston in 1829 at age 16), the filibuster William Walker somehow graduated from the University of Nashville at age fourteen, which means he must've attended starting from age ten or eleven.

Y'all should take this into account when writing up the earlier parts of your characters' lives. Now all this said, let's try to keep things reasonable even given the standards of those days, I would rather not see too many chars attending Harvard at age 8 and inventing neurosurgery after first becoming a licensed Doctor by 17 From the above, I'd say 14-16 seems like a good age range for wealthy young people to start attending college

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Alright, now let's hope I'm back. So I think X2 should be Jack Eggers, since he was previously made Thomas Jefferson of this TL, however, in this timeline, did we actually pay up in the XYZ affair? The wording isn't clear, and if we did, then as SoS at the time Eggers shouldn't be President, as he would then have a record to rival Hillary Clinton. Additionally, as I've previously said, I'd like either Charles Eggers (if he isn't too old by the time Spain lets him) or his son to found the Texas "colony". It might not matter if we have an earlier game, as in the 1820s it wasn't yet an issue (or perhaps it will be), but in the 1840s I definitely want them to be in on it if I can have them there. Other than Texas and, if his record is untarnished, having Jack Eggers as President, I've no suggestions. Though Perry would also make a good Calhoun, so I guess he gets my vote there. Also, Fort Wayne is now Fort Eggers. Excellent, thanks.

Yep, the XYZ Affair is wrapped up by a more or less OTL convention with Napoleon in 1800, so Eggers could plausibly stand for President in 1804. As for Texas, the Empire of Agustin de Iturbide will probably end up having to let Americans into the area in large numbers starting in 1821 as per OTL, the guy was apparently not all that liked in the earliest years of his reign and for whatever reason decided to give up as soon as he was faced with Santa Anna's coup despite actually starting to gain popularity in '23 so he'd probably rather spend most of his time & resources stomping on internal enemies instead of trying to control the border. I agree that by 1828 there would still be too few Americans in Texas for them to matter much, but as of an 1845 start - why not have the Eggers family take the place of the 'Houston faction' that wanted to join the Union and live peacefully with the Indians, opposed by the 'Lamar faction' of anti-Indian nationalists? In the last years covered by that timeline Eggers' son or grandson (since Eggers himself should have died of old age, unless you want him to become a Texan martyr at the Alamo or something ) could be the leading advocate of Texan union with the, well, Union and thus the guy who provides most of the impetus for the Mex-Am War if you'd like.

If you want the Eggerses to have some action before 1844-5, you could have them return briefly to the States in 1828-32 to help the Cherokee & the other Civilized Tribes resist the Trail of Tears, presuming of course the feds don't intervene against them as Jackson did historically (since then the Indians' situation becomes unsalvageable). You don't even need the feds to strictly enforce the SCOTUS rulings in favor of the Indians right away, just staying out of that mess and letting Georgia try to expel/exterminate the Indians with their own militia is enough to open the possibility of an Indian victory, after which the feds could enforce the SCOTUS rulings without a problem (since the Georgian state militia will have just been wrecked and SC should still have engaged in the Nullification Crisis, even if they're pissed about it they can't do much about it beyond stewing in impotent rage).

I've started posting the votes for our interim Presidents btw. We have the D-R candidates for 1805-1813, now let's get some Federalists and our lone Democrat in there

Edit: Oh btw, regarding Ft. Eggers, I'm still thinking about whether to keep that name or give it to Amsel since he's the one who's commanding the LOTUS atm. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 12, 2014 at 08:40 AM.

1805-1813 : Eggers. Would make sense for our Jefferson expy to have a Presidency.

..Would a Rondelle president be too outlandish?(I'm presuming yes due to being Catholic and not WASP)
    Last edited by Xion; April 12, 2014 at 08:36 AM.

Yeah, a Catholic President at this time would be regarded almost as poorly as a black POTUS I'm afraid, even if he isn't an Irish immigrant. We'd need to wait for the 20th century for one of either to be elected to the highest office in the nation IMO, though that doesn't rule out Catholic (and in the event of a lasting Radical Reconstruction, black) Secretaries, Governors of certain states, and the like.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Thanks, OP updated. Anything notable you want the Wallaces to do in the intervening years btw? JW's uncle (your Representative) could well be a rival with Robertson for the position of D-R POTUS in 1805-1813 if you want, for example.
    It doesn't seem right that our timelines Patrick Henry would go out for the presidency, and if he did attain office the first order of business would be dismantling federal power to the best of his ability. I suppose just fit the Wallace's in wherever they can be vocal supporters of State' Rights, Slavery, and the South in general.

On another note I might resurrect the Bohannons for an 1840's start, just because they'd have more to do in a MAW/ACW game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    It doesn't seem right that our timelines Patrick Henry would go out for the presidency, and if he did attain office the first order of business would be dismantling federal power to the best of his ability. I suppose just fit the Wallace's in wherever they can be vocal supporters of State' Rights, Slavery, and the South in general.

On another note I might resurrect the Bohannons for an 1840's start, just because they'd have more to do in a MAW/ACW game.
    That would actually make him a pretty solid contender for the 1805-1813 Presidency, historically TJ opposed a strong navy in favor of small harbor-bound gunboats - so isn't it conceivable that a Wallace Presidency would also disband as much of the Army as possible (not that there's much of it to get rid of in the first place) and do the same as Jefferson did with the Navy with the exact same justification of dismantling the most obvious pillar of federal power, while also like the real D-Rs still being willing to go to war with Britain on ideological grounds & under the misconception that conquering Canada would be as easy as taking candy from a baby, thereby perfectly explaining why Britain was able to hand the USA's ass to it in 1812?

I'll get the 1824-28 history up later today. However guys, I need y'all to vote for an 1828 or 1845 start before I continue after that (obviously, I don't want to write an epic character-limit-breaking post detailing everything from 1828 to 1845 only to see that y'all have gone with an 1828 start lol).

I will register my own vote for an 1845 start, since that will allow us to start things off with a bang in the Mex-Am War + gets us closer to an ACW game for the late summer/early fall, instead of bumping it back into next year where as we've just witnessed with 1792, activity can take a sharp turn downhill for a few months.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Well first I'd like to apologize for my almost nonexistant activity. That said I will vote for a 1845 start and Wallace as Calhoun I would also like to put Braxford forward as X1 since he was a federalist and PPT of the Senate.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

And now comes the tail end of our timeline, at least for an 1828 start.

1825-1828
    1825: 'The Sentinel of Liberty', the first ever African-American owned and published newspaper, is founded in Boston as a joint venture of 'native-born' blacks and Maroon descendants. Owned by Ohio native Cicero Halfhand, grandson of none other than the Hardtack Half-Hand, and featuring the educated Samuel Russwurm from Massachusetts as its chief editor, the paper agitated for abolition and was freely financed by the financial behemoth that was Saker Industries, a merger of the late George Saker's Saker Enterprises and the commercial empire of the now-extinct Dyer family that answered to Massachusetts Governor Matthew Saker (who had, after years of ceaselessly lobbying for and defending himself, gotten himself restored to US Army service in 1821, only to retire early the next year to run for his late father-in-law's seat).

Toussaint L'Ouverture, the French Governor of Saint-Domingue since the 1791-4 Haitian Revolution, dies in office. He will be remembered as the man who proved most instrumental in getting the French to abolish slavery, in getting mulattoes into the government of Saint-Domingue alongside the white Creoles, and in trying to improve the lot of the freedman laborers on the island even if he could not get them into any positions of power under the reactionary Bourbon regime; upon hearing of his death Louis XVII reportedly said,
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis XVII
    I have come to respect exactly two liberals in my life: Hammitt Poole of America, and Toussaint L'Ouverture of the Africans - and now you mean to tell me that the latter is dead? I do not mourn for enemies of the Old Order, but he had proven to be no such thing; if anything he had shown himself to be a loyal and steadfast subject of France, more-so than a good number of white men if the Usurper's Marshals and soldiers were any indication, and would surely have made a worthy adversary had either of us chosen to stand against the other. Saint-Domingue is a poorer place without him.
    Such words were perhaps the highest compliment any liberal could get out of the Winter King. As his replacement, Louis nominated his distant cousin the Duke of Orléans, son of the very same Philippe Égalité who betrayed his noble roots during the French Revolution and voted for Louis XVI's execution only to be guillotined by the other revolutionaries anyway; in light of that, the Orleans Bourbons had unsurprisingly been treated coldly by Louis XVII even before the Hundred Days, and though he restored their noble dignities to them he had made sure to lock them out of any positions of importance and to keep them under close watch - until now, anyway. No doubt the King hoped that the Duke, with his established liberal credentials, would prove acceptable to the Haitians, and that by packing him off across the Atlantic he could also minimize the threat the slightly older man had posed to his throne; certainly, Orléans himself privately lamented 'My ever-so-dear cousin has seen fit to exile us for my father's crimes at last!' to his wife after receiving the news of his latest appointment. Upon assuming office, Orléans named Alexandre Pétion, a free-born mulatto who had been educated in France who became one of L'Ouverture's chief subordinates and was now one of the island's wealthiest landlords, his Lieutenant-Governor.

The world's first modern railway opens in Britain.

Tsar Nicholas I of Russia, having just succeeded his childless older brother Alexander, is forced to deal with a large mutiny of liberal-minded officers on the first day of his reign. The Tsar would turn out to be a leading conservative statesman in Eastern Europe, executing or exiling thousands of the defeated Decembrist rebels and organizing a secret police (the 'Third Section of His Majesty's Imperial Chancellery') to suppress dissent. All publications within Russia were subject to extensive state censorship, and Nicholas would officially embrace the 'Russian Trinity' of 'Orthodoxy, Autocracy and Nationality' (Pravoslaviye, Samoderzhaviye, Narodnost′) - demanding the unquestioning obedience of the Russian people to his absolute rule, the traditions of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian language - as the foundation of his regime. So it should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone that he would become fast friends with his brother-in-law Louis XVII, to the point where in 1827 Louis half-jokingly proclaimed himself the 'Steward of the West' and Nicholas, that of the East against a backdrop of Western and Eastern Roman imperial imagery.

Napoleon II is injured in the Battle of Sarandi when the La Platan cavalry overran Brazil's artillery positions, though he evaded capture.

1826: The Greco-Ottoman War of 1821 comes to an end with the virtual destruction of the Ottoman navy at Lalaria off the island of Skiathos, for which the staggeringly inept leadership of Husrev Pasha must be credited even over the bravery and skill demonstrated by the Greeks; had someone else been in command, the Turks may well have still been defeated, but would likely have limped away with more than a sixth of their fleet and thus been in a position to continue the war. Nicholas of Russia began to pressure the Porte to give up on attempting to conquer its Orthodox brother to the south, and after news of Lalaria arrived (as well as reports that his armies had been unable to make much headway against Beauharnais' resolute defense on land) and the British withdrew all offers of support in further building & modernizing the Ottoman armed forces until after the Greek situation had been dealt with, Sultan Mahmud II finally grudgingly conceded defeat. At the Treaty of Constantinople that year, the Ottoman Empire had to recognize Greek independence & to cede Thessaly and the Arta area in Epirus to an elated King Eugene.

1827: The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad becomes America's first incorporated railroad.

A man in Pennsylvania begins transcribing the contents of some golden plates in his possession. Now where could this possibly lead?

Napoleon II distinguishes himself in the Battle of Ituzaingo, where he successfully rallied his crewmen to defend their guns from a La Platan assault until other Brazilian units could relieve them. His younger brother, now nearly 19-year-old cavalry lieutenant Charles-Napoleon also made a name for himself despite this being his first battle, receiving injuries to his arm and leg while securing his assigned regiment's standard in the aftermath of a failed attack while managing to remain mounted the entire time. For this, despite the overall Brazilian defeat in the battle both brothers were later rewarded with the Order of Saint James of the Sword by Emperor Pedro I, no doubt to the annoyance of Louis XVII.

After reports of piracy against French merchant vessels and the island of Corsica, as well as news that his emissary was struck by the Dey of Algiers with a fan for protesting, Louis XVII resolved to personally wipe the Algerian state off the face of the planet. Leaving Artois in charge of France, he sailed over to Algiers with some 500 ships and nearly 40,000 men. Landing at Sidi Ferruch in late April, the Winter King swept towards Algiers like the fiercest of snowstorms and occupied the city within a month. The city was sacked and thousands killed, and in the peace negotiations later that year Algiers was annexed by France, with the Comte de Bourmont appointed as its first French military governor. The invasion had proven popular in France, and a republican plot to overthrow the Bourbons was cancelled after the conspirators witnessed Louis XVII's triumphant return to Paris.

1828: Earliest possible game start.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 12, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks y'all btw, tally updated. I've also added a segment to the 1825-8 section concerning a slightly earlier-than-OTL French invasion of Algeria in 1827.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to become JQA that'd be grand, all the other 'Great Man' positions already have some contenders but that one seat's still totally empty.
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; April 12, 2014 at 05:30 PM.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Ok so my plans for the Braxford family in the following years are something along these lines:
    -John R. Braxford. Retires after ARW and dies at 1805 at the age of 72.
    --Rupert Braxford, his son, joins the American Army as an officer and serves in the Barbary War and the 1812 war, an average General, would be alive in an 1828 game but dies in 1841 at the age of 77. He had three sons Reginald, Peter and George and a daughter, Mary.
    --Francis Braxford his other son, a businessmen in Boston eventually runs for Governor but loses, dies in 1840 at the age of 70. Fathered a son named Richard.
    ---Reginald Braxford, son of Rupert. Would become a statesman first in elected to the House and later as Massachussets Senator, avaiable for a position as Secretary or VP for Federalist #3. Born 1794 would be 34 by 1828 and 54 by 1848, had two sons, James and Gabriel and two daughters, Isabel and Margarette.
    ---Peter Braxford, son of Rupert. Served as an officer in the navy, died in the war of 1812.
    ---George Braxford, son of Rupert. Became an actor in the Boston theatre and never married, born in 1800.
    ---Richard Braxford, son of Francis. Inherited his father's business, brief tour in the navy in 1812 but eventually settled down in Boston. Born in 1798 he had five daughters, Anne, Catherine, Charlotte, Elizabeth and Mary.
    ----James Braxford, son of Reginald. Born in 1824 would serve as a military officer in an 1848 start.
    ----Gabriel Braxford, son of Reginald. Born 1828 eventually became a writer.

-Robert Percival Braxford. A sucessfull statesman he would be a Senator, President-Pro-Tempore of the Senate and maybe a President. Eventually retired in 1806 and died in 1816 age of 78. Had two sons, Henry and Patrick and two daughters Mary and Victoria.
    --Henry Braxford, son of Robert Percival. Followed his father's footsteps as a businessman and Statesmen, serving two terms in the Congress and three in the Senate retired from public life in 1826 torn by the family feud and died in 1836 age of 70. Had a son named Theodore and a daughter named Catherine.
    --Patrick Braxford, son of Robert Percival. Broke away from the family business and started a Railroad company, possibly built the Baltimore Ohio Railroad and brought extensive lands there eventually moving west with his family. Born in 1770 and died in 1845 aged 75, had two sons Matthew and Abraham.
    ---Theodore Braxford, son of Henry. Started a political carrer very early and rose among the ranks of the Federalists, in 1824 he stayed in the Federalist party and feuded with his moderate cousin Matthew estranging the family branches. Born in 1794 he had a son named Andrew.
    ---Matthew Braxford, son of Patrick. Started a promising political carrer as a low Federalist and served in the House for a term, in 1824 he broke away from the Federalists and his cousin Theodore becoming one of the founders of the Whig party. Born in 1795 had twins named John and Jennifer.
    ---Abraham Braxford, son of Patrick. Followed his father's footsteps in the Railroad company, never got involved in politics. Born 1800 had two daughters, Vivianne and Theresa and a son, Louis.
    ----Andrew Braxford, son of Theodore. In a 1848 start would become a politician, born 1825.
    ----John Braxford, son of Matthew. In a 1848 start would become a politician, born 1823.
    ----Louis, son of Abraham. Would follow his father in the Railroad company, born 1830.

PS: I vote for Eggers as the Democrat-Republican president since he is our Jefferson counterpart.
    Last edited by jacb547; April 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Sounds great to me. I'd like Jack Eggers to be president during Jefferson's term, if that's alright, and I have intended since the start for a member of the Eggers family to become Houston, so I definitely want that if possible (perhaps the elder Eggers could start the colony like Austin and then die at the Alamo a la Bowie, then his son or grandson be Houston the general?). Also, on the start date, I vote 1840s, as I want to do some Texas action.

Looking good thus far Jacb, and vote noted. Quick question for y'all - would you prefer to have 3 or 4 character slots (so 1 main and 2 or 3 auxes, respectively) open to each player? I ask b/c even though more PCs should theoretically = more activity, it also means more people whose money, positions & names () we need to keep track of.

@Aggy That could work, give Texas an instant martyr and a succeeding natural figure in one go. You up for an 1845 start then I take it? Since with an 1828 start you'd have to wait 4-6 weeks for there to be enough Americans in Texas to pull this off

Oh yeah, another thing. We do have a few gaps open for notable generals in the timeline. Thus far the major battles with named generals that have yet to be decided are Tippecanoe (1811, American victory over Tecumseh's brother) and Wildcat Creek (1813, American victory over Tecumseh in violation of the Anglo-American ceasefire that led to the end of the War of 1812).

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I've decided to throw the Bohannon's into the mix for either start, just so I needn't create a new family background from scratch for my aux.

Shawn's son, Willy(named after Willy Wallace not Wily Willie), could be the general at Wildcat Creek. He'd be sure to have a drive to redeem the tainted family name(after the "atrocities" and the Whiskey Rebellion) couple that with a hated for native folk and you got yourself a general more than willing to break the ceasefire to get in a knockout punch.

Edit
    I'd only use two aux, three at the absolute most.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 12, 2014 at 08:43 PM.

Aight, edited that in, if anyone else wants to contest that or any other role that's up for grabs in the future please come forward ASAP or prepare to hold your peace.