Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique and help - Pictures/Videos - theatroN

Default Re: Critique and help - Pictures/Videos - theatroN

Notes:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Good:
    + Really nice blood effects.
    + You captured a good pose of the two soldiers.

Improvements:
    - The blood on the camera lens needs to be blurred. If you look at real pictures where there is something stuck on the lens, it's always blurred. This is due to a camera's focal length.
    - The blood that is caused by the sword needs some motion blur. Maybe reduce it a little bit. Seems almost cartoony with that amount of blood.
    - The blur around the soldiers doesn't look natural. Again, look up F-stop and Focal length and see how blur is used in real photos. If you want to isolate the two figures and blur the background, you need to move the camera much closer to them.
    - Look at the light direction and shadows. It's visible that the sun is somewhere off to the right of the camera. So the sun in your edit doesn't correspond to that.
    - Try to create a stronger composition. Both sides of the picture are empty and all the action is in the middle. This creates an unbalance in the photo.

My version:

My changes:
    - Cropped the picture.
    - Added some atmosphere to create some depth.
    - Painted in some mountains to create a better composition. Both sides are not empty anymore.
    - Added blood with motion blur. Avoided the blood splatter on the screen since it felt out of place.
    - Painted in sun glare in the right side.
    - Increased the highlights on the front samurai, and the flags to make them stand out.

Hope this helps, and thank you for the kind words!
    Last edited by theatroN; April 08, 2014 at 01:20 PM.
    Under the glorious patronage of MasterBigAb

mikea4's Avatar Miles

Hey, Great Thread! +rep.

Here is one that I did a while back ago that I wanted to get your opinion on.

edited

unedited

Notes:

Good:
    + Strong composition with background and foreground. Creates a nice depth.
    + The lighting is superb and those wet highlights are great.
    + The colors look good, though I'd like to see more blue/cyan since it's a night scene.
    + The rain effect in the sky works well.

Improvements:
    - Your final edit seems very blurry compared to the original.
    - The soldiers seem too bright, taken into account that this is a night scene.
    - Picture seems a bit too dark.

My version:

My changes:
    - Slightly blurred the background to remove some of the jagged edges.
    - Added lights in the tower windows to create some light dynamic.
    - Added rain effect.
    - Added some light atmosphere in the background to make the soldiers and tower stand more out.
    - Light color correction.
    - Tried to keep it as close to the original as I could since I really liked it.

Awesome screenshot man!
    Had a hard time editing and critiquing it since there was very little so say. Keep it up!
    Last edited by theatroN; April 10, 2014 at 04:50 AM.

Love the Thread idea theatroN! This is just what this site badly needs, constructive criticism!
    I've only ever done one Shogun 2 video (a year ago), and it ended up in last place in the VOTM competition, and I'd like to know where I went wrong. Admittedly the style I ended up using was far more abstract then normally do, but I don't know if that's a strength of a weakness in this case.

Edit: Oh, for some context, I was attempting to re-create scenes of the movie ran using the Shogun 2 engine, mostly as an exercise on using Akira Kurosawa's artistic command of color and landscapes, which was already close to my own style, only used more intensely.
    Last edited by Edax; April 13, 2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Add Context

Quote Originally Posted by Ltflak View Post
    Love the Thread idea theatroN! This is just what this site badly needs, constructive criticism!
    I've only ever done one Shogun 2 video (a year ago), and it ended up in last place in the VOTM competition, and I'd like to know where I went wrong. Admittedly the style I ended up using was far more abstract then normally do, but I don't know if that's a strength of a weakness in this case.

Will take a look at your video during the week.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Hi mate - a question - in pictures where some use the N function and zoom out the side gets "froggy" and out of shape on both edges of the picture - left/right - I tried to - frog against but it doesn't work out, also I tried to stretch the sides but it also isn't perfect - is there any way to get this into the right real proportions? I know its a bit a nut question ...as properly the only way to solve it is not to zoom in the N function, but in some cases it needs to be zoomed for better focus on the shot....

like this picture: example, I have more such and this N issue bothers me.....

Last edited by Syntax; April 19, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Suggestions?

Btw, Happy Easter you all!
    Last edited by VENNONETES; April 19, 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Notes:

Good:
    + Excellent music choice. Such a powerful song.
    + You got some amazing shots in here especially at 0:25, 0:41, 1:24, 1:37. They really caught my eye.
    + Overall very nice pace and some great compositions.

Improvements:
    - The video doesn't really seem to make much sense. There's a new location all the time, and it's a bit confusing.
    - If you want to make a montage or alike, you need to set the same mood in the video. Like use the same color palette or time of day. Needs to be some consistency.
    - The graphics could be higher. Jagged edges and alike ruin the illusion that it's a movie, and not a game.

Great vid man!

Hope my notes makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Hi mate - a question - in pictures where some use the N function and zoom out the side gets "froggy" and out of shape on both edges of the picture - left/right - I tried to - frog against but it doesn't work out, also I tried to stretch the sides but it also isn't perfect - is there any way to get this into the right real proportions? I know its a bit a nut question ...as properly the only way to solve it is not to zoom in the N function, but in some cases it needs to be zoomed for better focus on the shot....

like this picture: example, I have more such and this N issue bothers me.....
    Please remember to post the original unedited image.

Hi threatroN, as requested:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks and hear you....

Notes:

Good:
    + Nice and smoky atmosphere.

Improvements:
    - The composition could be better. Try to fill out both sides or even them out. The entire right side of the image is empty.
    - Image seems too dark. A smoky scene like this should be lighter.
    - The sparks need to go or go smaller. They dominate way too much of the image. Experiment with sizing down the sparks and not letting them take over the entire frame.

My changes:

- Blurred out the jagged edges of the muskets.
    - Brightened the background to create a light source.
    - Made the smoke much more dominant to set the mood.
    - Did a lighter and more warm color correction.

Notes:

Good:
    + Really like the mood you captured in the original.
    + Nice fight animation.
    + Graphics look high.
    + Even though I don't think you made the right choice converting the image to a dawn/sunset scene, you did so convincing.
    + Nice detail with the sun reflection on the ground.

Improvements:
    - The sky looks like a stormy one, but you added in a sun. Doesn't really look convincing. Try using a stock photo with a real sunset/dawn. Will look much better.
    - The rain looks out of place. If you were going for a rainy scene where the sun breaks through, the image needs to be much darker and less warm in it's colours. Such a scene is quite difficult.
    - Darken the image. Too light if the sun is hanging so low.

My changes:

Ver1

Ver2

- Cropped and rotated the image.
    - Saturated the armor and helmets.
    - Enhanced highlights to match the sun.
    - Replaced the sky.
    - Added in additional rain.
    - Created sun rays in After Effects.
    - Darkened and color corrected the image.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by theatroN; April 23, 2014 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks mate, the ver 2 looks realistic and great for me. But initial this wasn't my question . I think you are so much in the enhancement mood that you did a full review and even made 2 versions - (the picture was just sample for this issue, so I wondered why u need my original)

The versions you made are great and thank you for your tips - really appreciate it. One issue - I never added a sun, the 'color change' and a 'style change' itself made the sky in that area looks like hidden sun - so it certainly reflects the sun in this picture (maybe the sun was even behind the clouds in this spot I couldn't say as I never saw the sun in this battle - and the rain was also not added it was just in the natural scene. -

Anyway you have very good suggestions and perfect analysis of the shot and changes - Rep you when I am allowed again!

As a general note: "I see and implement the pictures more as art and not as reflection of the reality. As u know that is different, as artist you have the freedom to overdue issues or even change to the way you see or wanted to see the picture. I did all my pictures on this philosophy"

Back to the initial question of my post - the out of focus issue of the picture - which is a side effect of the "N" zoom function is that to avoid in any way? - or may a out of shape side of the picture - as you see the soldiers near to left and right side of the shot are extended in width by quite a bit, may this be altered afterwards in easy way?

In other words the 'N' zoom of the game has a bit of a frog setting and the more far some zoom out the more out of shape will be the left and right side of the picture....is there a way to modify this back to normal? (the stretching function of Photoshop doesn't really work for this....any suggestions? Look at the added picture - the "x" is to big and stretched the soldiers!

Thanks for your great work
    Syntax
    Last edited by Syntax; April 24, 2014 at 03:49 AM.

mikea4's Avatar Miles

Here is another picture of mine that i wanted to get your opinion on. I think, I just get too caught up in editing a picture that in the end, I change too much. Any help is appreciated.

Unedited

Thanks mate, the ver 2 looks realistic and great for me. But initial this wasn't my question . I think you are so much in the enhancement mood that you did a full review and even made 2 versions - (the picture was just sample for this issue, so I wondered why u need my original)

The versions you made are great and thank you for your tips - really appreciate it. One issue - I never added a sun, the 'color change' and a 'style change' itself made the sky in that area looks like hidden sun - so it certainly reflects the sun in this picture (maybe the sun was even behind the clouds in this spot I couldn't say as I never saw the sun in this battle - and the rain was also not added it was just in the natural scene. -

Anyway you have very good suggestions and perfect analysis of the shot and changes - Rep you when I am allowed again!

As a general note: "I see and implement the pictures more as art and not as reflection of the reality. As u know that is different, as artist you have the freedom to overdue issues or even change to the way you see or wanted to see the picture. I did all my pictures on this philosophy"

Back to the initial question of my post - the out of focus issue of the picture - which is a side effect of the "N" zoom function is that to avoid in any way? - or may a out of shape side of the picture - as you see the soldiers near to left and right side of the shot are extended in width by quite a bit, may this be altered afterwards in easy way?

In other words the 'N' zoom of the game has a bit of a frog setting and the more far some zoom out the more out of shape will be the left and right side of the picture....is there a way to modify this back to normal? (the stretching function of Photoshop doesn't really work for this....any suggestions? Look at the added picture - the "x" is to big and stretched the soldiers!

Thanks for your great work
    Syntax
    Oh okay. Yeah I forgot that you asked that question.

Well, I think that's just due to the Field of View (FOV) that Rome 2 has. Like if you ever played Battlefield 3, you can change the FOV and that widens edges of the frame.
    Don't know if you can change that though. Never saw it as a problem myself. I think it gives a great widescreen/cinematic effect.

teathroN - Thank you for your answer. I will have a look if I can find FOV......

I have your version 2 of my picture as wallpaper - it looks really great!

All the best to you and have a nice day

teathroN - Thank you for your answer. I will have a look if I can find FOV......

I have your version 2 of my picture as wallpaper - it looks really great!

All the best to you and have a nice day
    Awesome. Your welcome bro.

Notes:

Good:
    + Explosive capture.
    + Nice silhouettes and color.

Improvements:
    - Too blurry. This was a problem with your last submission as well. Try to keep crisp edges without them being jagged of course.
    - Too many sparks. Tone it down. Be careful not to lower the opacity too much. Sparks are very bright.
    - I'd like to "feel the heat" of the explosion more. Seems darkened to an extend where the explosions are very isolated.
    - Overall I feel like there's too much debris and particles in this image.

My changes:

- Color corrected and darkened the image overall with a orange/red hue.
    - Added in sparks.
    - Painted in some fog/atmophere on both sides of the frame.
    - Darkened and saturated the explosions.
    - Applied glow to the explosions.

Last edited by Ishan; April 25, 2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Double Post

Hey some help needed here, how are you creating weather effects? Always from "scratch", or you have some overlays? If you do them with PS, can tutorials be found anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Hey some help needed here, how are you creating weather effects? Always from "scratch", or you have some overlays? If you do them with PS, can tutorials be found anywhere?
    Can you define what you mean by weather effects? Show me a picture as an example.

The additional rain here for example:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast