Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique and help - Pictures/Videos - theatroN

Icon3 Critique and help - Pictures/Videos - theatroN

Hey fellas

Since I pretty much decided to quit the "game", and not enter the competitions anymore, but I don't feel like ditching TWC at all.
    Wanna give something back to the community I guess.

So I've created this thread with the purpose of helping beginners and people who are struggling with editing their pictures.

What I require of you:

- You post your edited picture, AND, the original file.
    - If you only have an unedited picture, but want suggestions, that's perfectly fine as well. Just post the original only.
    - If you want, explain what you would like to achieve in this picture/video, or what you are having difficulties with.
    - Please only post 1 picture/video.
    - Doesn't matter if it's from a game or not. Any picture/video goes.

What I offer:

- I'll create a few bullet points with suggestions to your picture/video. Perhaps draw in some missing elements to create a better composition.
    - Create a list of the strongest parts of the picture/video, and suggest improvements.
    - If you want, I'll go in, and edit your picture, and post it.
    - Then I'll explain my changes, and why I did it.
    - I'll upload the .PSD file of my changes if you want it.

Hope that you like this concept, and please post suggestions if you have any!

See you around!
    Last edited by theatroN; April 07, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Under the glorious patronage of MasterBigAb

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Critique and help - Screenshots - theatroN

Would you accept ArmA 3 screens as well?

What do you suggest to increase a bit the dramatic atmosphere without over editing it? =)

My edited screen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Original

And suggestions here?

Hope I'm not annoying
    Thank you again for this great offert you give us

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Default Re: Critique and help - Screenshots - theatroN

Quote Originally Posted by VENNONETES View Post
    Would you accept ArmA 3 screens as well?

What do you suggest to increase a bit the dramatic atmosphere without over editing it? =)

Hope I'm not annoying
    Thank you again for this great offert you give us
    Very nice composition in both your screenshots!

Notes:

Good:
    + Strong composition.
    + Two light sources, both fire and sun. Gives a good light dynamic to work with.

Improvements:
    - The original shot was taken at dusk or dawn. This is indicated by the purple/red color that is reflected on the gravestones. This is not visible in the edited version, which I think is a shame.
    - Always try to work with the colors and light that you have in the original shot, instead of inserting a "fake" sun or other elements that don't really correspond with the original image.
    - The sky is very bright compared to the trees and it's surroundings. Doesn't look natural.
    - If you are going for a night scene, (which I think you did?), then the sky needs to be much much darker.

My version:

My changes:
    - I'm not going to list all the changes because I did a quite extensive change.
    - Darkened the sky, added a moon, and some clouds to cover up the moon. This looks more natural.
    - Added a fire and brightened the stones and grass around it since it's the strongest light source in the scene.
    - Darkened the soldier, but intensified the highlights that are reflected from the fire.

Notes:

Good:
    + Strong composition, again. The singular frontal figure creates a nice contrast to the open landscape.
    + The warm colors work well, though slightly over-saturated.

Improvements:
    - I like the original shot much better to be honest. The way you darkened the picture in the final version unfortunately kills the awesome and infact very realistic atmosphere you captured in the original.
    - The rotation of the camera is a very nice touch, but it's too extreme. Needs to be more level to the ground to avoid confusing the viewer.
    - The sparks seems unnecessary since there is no fire, or any visible light or smoke from one. Try to only use sparks in a situation where it would be natural. (Destroyed village, fire, explosion etc.)

My version:

My changes:
    - I rotated the image to level it out a bit more, and cropped it.
    - Desaturated the entire image, due to the fog blocking out the sun. (Less light, less color. Light = color.)
    - Chose to add the fog in the scene because I felt like there was to much empty space in the picture.
    - Adding the fog gives a better atmosphere, story telling, and it leads the eye towards the center where the soldier is heading.

Hope I wasn't too harsh. That is not my intention.

So I really hope that this helps man!

Let me know if you want the .PSD files.
    Last edited by theatroN; April 08, 2014 at 01:10 PM.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Critique and help - Any picture - theatroN

WoW, great in depth analysis
    Thank you for the tips =)
    -Btw, you're not too harsh at all, I'm 15 and eager to learn new things

PS Where can I donate?

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

Quote Originally Posted by VENNONETES View Post
    WoW, great in depth analysis
    Thank you for the tips =)
    -Btw, you're not too harsh at all, I'm 15 and eager to learn new things

PS Where can I donate?
    Your welcome.

What do you mean by donate?

Maybe you also give specific tips for videos? (not just the normal, "good, because good camera angels" or sth. similar...)

If not, I gonna try some picture editing in the next time 'cause tips from the master are just too enticing

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Maybe you also give specific tips for videos? (not just the normal, "good, because good camera angels" or sth. similar...)

If not, I gonna try some picture editing in the next time 'cause tips from the master are just too enticing
    Sure, videos are fine. I'll just give notes on the video overall and not every individual shot.

Default Re: Critique and help - Pictures/Videos - theatroN

Alright, I dont know if you have seen this one yet (uploaded it some months ago):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKB56g1pknw

And maybe you can also give me some advise with the effects in that non-total war video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFxnKOAsj0

Alright, I dont know if you have seen this one yet (uploaded it some months ago):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKB56g1pknw

And maybe you can also give me some advise with the effects in that non-total war video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFxnKOAsj0
    Try and keep it to one video. That way I'll be able to give more in-depth notes if I focus on one video + it's kind of time demanding doing two.

You can always post another video another day, but try to keep them a few days apart.

Notes:

Good:
    + Nice intro. Text is perhaps too big. You can easily use font size 14-16, and still be very visible to the viewer.
    + Great music choice in the intro. Creates suspense.
    + You got some great camera angles and movement.
    + Nice close ups and fighting animations.
    + The sun ray effect at 3:18 works really well!
    + 5:28 - Really nice POV shot!

Improvements:
    - Try to find a more interesting map or scenario. Use the landscape as well to tell the story. A flat map with trees where two armies are fighting has been done before.
    - Keep the music in the same genre and mood. It was a bit confusing when the last song came on, and it was kind of electronic.
    - Watch out not doing too many camera movements that are only possible in a game. Try to simulate that you are using a real camera on a crane, dolly, helicopter etc. Makes it feel more realistic.
    - 0:55 - Try to avoid such a fast moving camera pan. Moves too fast for your eye to pick up on anything.
    - 1:04 - Avoid fading out to black for no reason. Only use it for ending a certain scene or sequence.(Maybe right before the catapults launch, you cut to black and stop the music. That will enchance the power of the catapults.)
    - Watch out that your clips aren't too long. To keep the intensity of the battle, the clips need to be a bit shorter, when the battle is at it's most intense. Then make them longer when the battle is beginning and then it's fading out.
    - Try to shorten the video, quite a lot. I would say no longer than 3-4 mins. The fighting in your video only begins at around 2:37, which is a bit too late.

Last edited by theatroN; April 07, 2014 at 12:23 PM.

Alright, thank you so far!!

- Watch out that your clips aren't too long. To keep the intensity of the battle, the clips need to be a bit shorter, when the battle is at it's most intense. Then make them longer when the battle is beginning and then it's fading out.
    I kinda have no "feeling" for this one, in the cine-ed there is this timeline but I just can't "imagine" how time and the distance the camera is moving are related...

I got a video to show.

Alright, thank you so far!!
    I kinda have no "feeling" for this one, in the cine-ed there is this timeline but I just can't "imagine" how time and the distance the camera is moving are related...
    You can just trim the clips using your editing software.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    I got a video to show.

Cool, but do you want critique on it?

Please read the first post.

Sorry, yes I would like a critique. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, . Also I would post the original file but I had an OS reset and the file is gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Sorry, yes I would like a critique. Can't believe I forgot to mention that, . Also I would post the original file but I had an OS reset and the file is gone now.
    No worries.

There's no need to show the original file when it's a video.

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Great effort, Great thread! - in this way u can give, help and motivate us all by big margin!

Really kind of you to offer such "service"
    +Rep....[huh must spread first]

Maybe I will come back to u and ask some suggestions....

Conclamatus's Avatar Ordinarius

Hi theatroN, I really like the fact that you opened this thread, it's a huge opportunity for everyone (including me) to improve, so thank you in advance for all your effort!
    To get to the topic, I really want to know what this edit lacks. When I (kinda) finished it, I feel like it's just not enough, and I want to know how to improve it.

Original:

Sorry for my bad English

Notes:

Good:
    + Nice and gory animations that you captured.
    + You don't let the clips run too long which works well.

Improvements:
    - Crop the video. Avoid black borders in the sides of the video. Crop the video height so it creates black borders at the top and bottom, if you want it to look more like a film.
    - Try using a different font, and avoid using too many effects on it. A simple title in the center of the screen will work much better. Go smaller.
    - 0:22 - Avoid cutting so fast from one scene to another. The music changes very quick and there's no fade. Seems to sudden of a change.
    - Use the landscape. I felt isolated when watching this video. There was not much else to see than soldiers and the ground. Make sure the viewer knows where this battle is taking place. Etablish the scene.
    - Try a different camera angle than birds eye which is being used too much in this video.
    - There seems to lack a connection between the scenes before the title (still standing armies) and after (intense fighting). Try to build up the tension instead of showing the fight already at 0:23.
    - Avoid using the N-key camera too much. It's too zoomed in and the video appears jagged and pixilated.
    - Turn down the music, and try to emphasize more on the sound effects. Especially during the battle. Loud sounds of gore and swords makes the battle seem much more intense. Don't over do it though. Keep it simple, and not a mess of different sounds.
    - The camera moves are way to jagged. It seems like the camera is being thrown from left to right violently in the fight scenes. Try more different type of shots than stationary N-key camera.
    - Keep the frame rate consistent. Never slow down your video in post production. That will decrease the frame rate and cause the video to look laggy. Try recording at half speed in-game instead.

I know this seems like a lot of critique, but you are on the right track bro!
    Just keep experimenting with different camera angles and watch some movies. Study how they build up battle scenes in real movies.
    Last edited by theatroN; April 08, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    Great effort, Great thread! - in this way u can give, help and motivate us all by big margin!

Really kind of you to offer such "service"
    +Rep....[huh must spread first]

Maybe I will come back to u and ask some suggestions....
    Your welcome bro. Appreciate the kind words.

Feel free to ask at anytime!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast