Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Help Desk 1] Chivalry TW: Installation&Start Issues (Read First Post)

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default [Help Desk 1] Chivalry TW: Installation&Start Issues (Read First Post)

Describe in this thread anything what happened while the installation and/or game start procedure, if you got such a problem.
    No customised or versions from the ChivTW free/submods are allowed to report in this thread. Means, you can't count with official support, if you have running another ChivTW than the official latest version.

Make sure, you have installed in the correct order, eventually check the release instructions anew.
    You should know: The installation and the mod works without issues if installed properly.

As you have learned from the release/info thread, this complete modfoldered game runs on these platforms:
    Unmodified Rome Total War 1.5 or on the unmodified expansion Barbarian Invasion 1.6.

As overview and help the following directory/path info: (the paths are default-examples)

SEGA Gold or Era's Pack versions (both versions are patched to RTW 1.5 and BI 1.6 already*)

The install target path is here by default:
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War

The completed directory path is here then by default: (after the installation)
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\chivalry

The shortcut-path is here by default:
    "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    (for the first line)
    and
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War
    (for the second line)

*in some cases it has been reported that their Gold version wasn't patched to 1.5/1.6. In this case you need to do it manually. RTW/BI patch-downloads are available on the TW official site, and on different other game sites.

Activision versions (the old original CD versions come not as patched versions from CD, and need the RTW 1.5 or BI 1.6 update first - make sure your RTW/BI is patched to these versions before you install ChivTW).

The install target path is here by default:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

The completed directory path is then here by default: (after the installation)
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\chivalry

The shortcut-path by default:
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    (for the first line)
    and
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War
    (for the second line)

Some extra notes

'Default': Means, the not-customised path, if RTW or BI is installed in its original directory, which comes with the original not changed Rome-Setup.
    This doesn't mean a customised path couldn't work, of course a custom install/path works flawless if done properly.

Shortcut: Everything behind this, example-path "C:\Program Files\...\Rome - Total War" is necessary for the mod only and exclusive, never change this part, if you are customising the location or shortcut path.
    To clarify it once more, never change -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry unless you know exactly what you are doing there.

BI exe

The mod can be played with RTW 1.5 or with BI 1.6.
    If you have BI 1.6, then it is also recommended to play on this platform.

In case your ChivTW desktop-shortcut isn't created automatically for the BI exe via the done installer-setup, or you have chosen the zip installation, go for the following instruction:

To play with the BI exe, you simply need to change the ChivTW-shortcut-path (bold part): ...\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry

--

New hint (15.02.2014):

RTW Steam user?
    Check this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e-launcher-%28 ... sounds very easy!

Old:

Steam?

Sorry, our mod development and support notes were done way before Steam offered RTW/BI etc..
    Steam users might want to take a look here, example explanation for the installation: How to play ChivTW with Steam

--
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 15, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Install + Start issues v0.50

I got this error when I installed over my previous unmodified CTW 0.44 w/ hotfix:

"Generic Error

DATABASE_TABLE error found: max records exceeded from file data/descr_event_images.txt"

Gonna try an installation on clean RTW/BI 1.6 install and see if I get the same error.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

i installed it over a clean 1.5 rtw game, but wheni launch it, it launches rome instead.

@ Salvatorii
    um, are you clicking on the rome exe, or the chivalry shortcut? and make sure your chivalry shortcut looks kinda like this in the properties target, depending on your directory:
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatorii
    i installed it over a clean 1.5 rtw game, but wheni launch it, it launches rome instead.
    This text content from the shortcut instructions within the chivalry folder might help (but make sure you have a chivalry folder installed in the RTW directory):

This info here is contained in the chivalry folder after finishing the installation in a separate folder named with "Help Chiv Start-Shortcut" (or similar), so you can for example copy paths of this instruction and paste them into your Shortcut, if you need to do so.

The default path-entry of the contained shortcut may appear as:

(first line)

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War"
    (second line)

If you have RTW in its original default directory, you have to change nothing and you can start with this shortcut.
    Otherwise, you have to change the path manually:

" [insert here your custom path without the clamps]\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    (first line)

" [insert here your custom path without the clamps] "
    (second line)

To do so, you have to make simply a right-click on the Chivalry shortcut, choose properties, and you see the two above described editable lines.
    Alternative take the search-button (below of the lines) to find your directory with the RomeTW.exe where you installed Chivalry.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by big_feef
    I got this error when I installed over my previous unmodified CTW 0.44 w/ hotfix:

"Generic Error

DATABASE_TABLE error found: max records exceeded from file data/descr_event_images.txt"

Gonna try an installation on clean RTW/BI 1.6 install and see if I get the same error.
    ...don't know what's the culprit. Just delete the chivalry folder, and proceed the installation anew on a fresh RTW 1.5 (or BI 1.6).

data/descr_event_images.txt
    ... this indicates a problem rather within your RTW, perhaps. Check out if your RTW 1.5 works proper.

i keep gettin an error sayign sumthing is not valid. lol i'm going nuts

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatorii
    i keep gettin an error sayign sumthing is not valid. lol i'm going nuts
    This is strange, this must be an operator fault then :wink:
    Make first sure your RTW 1.5 works proper and is actually unmodified!
    Then take care of the following (extract from the setup instructions):

Take time and read the following to make the procedure secure for you:

A) Install Path

With one of the next steps, you have to enter the RTW directory target for the Chivalry installation.
    You will see a browse button just to enter your RTW directory.
    By a CA Activision default RTW 1.5 installation, the target directory name is Rome - Total War.

The exe will add automatically the folder name chivalry behind your entered RTW directory:

So you must see FOR EXAMPLE

C:\Games\Rome - Total War\chivalry

or if it is in its original directory (by default)

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\chivalry

and then you can go ahead for the installation!
    After this, take care of the shortcut instructions (extract is a few posts above).

And last hint, if you dl'ed from badongo (not supported or tested by us), and have merged the setup file with the badongo extra-software, then there might be anyway no guarantee that it works proper.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

I got it to work after installing a clean RTW/BI 1.5/1.6 without any problems.

Great mod! I'm having a blast with Poland.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

Script Error in chivalry/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 629, column 1. Unable to find image path (specific or generic) for core_building.
    Is what I get after running the freshly installed Chivalry Total War v0.5 - which I was finally able to download from Megaupload. Any ideas? I'm downloading the patches of RTW in advance so I'm ready to reinstall the whole thing, but just in case that wouldn't help.

Ps: And yes I did install correctly, I believe. I saw the Chivalry TW splash screen and all that.

Edit: Never mind, a reinstall did the trick! :original:
    Last edited by The White Knight; October 21, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Will it ever be possible for those of us who have 1.6, and can't mod a game if our lives depended on it, to play Chivalry? In other words, will you make version that is easy to install for us with 1.6 that's not very good with computors?

Well, first of all, if you have BI 1.6, you can play chivalry on RTW 1.5, because 1.6 comes with 1.5 . But if you wish to play on BI instead of RTW, please read the technical FAQ in the FAQ thread. Its answered there, and its very simple. However if you are still not sure how to do it, then ask, and we'll try to explain it better.
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

schminkypinky's Avatar Foederatus

Posted this in CTD thread but this is probably more appropriate thread.....

'Similar to SolidSnake 23 have a clean RTW and BI install plus chivalry...loads fine but then CTD after selecting a faction and pressing start campaign button. Have checked install instructions. Have loaded using both shortcuts, still same problem.'

After this crash game wont even load without a restart of the comp. Tried different factions too. Plz help as this mod looks superb.

EDIT - Just tried full reinstall of everything....and same problem occurred...

2ND EDIT - After a third clean reinstall of everything the problem has solved itself....don't know why but i don't care! the mod looks great.
    Last edited by schminkypinky; October 22, 2006 at 09:01 AM.
    Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by schminkypinky
    Posted this in CTD thread but this is probably more appropriate thread.....

'Similar to SolidSnake 23 have a clean RTW and BI install plus chivalry...loads fine but then CTD after selecting a faction and pressing start campaign button. Have checked install instructions. Have loaded using both shortcuts, still same problem.'

After this crash game wont even load without a restart of the comp. Tried different factions too. Plz help as this mod looks superb.

EDIT - Just tried full reinstall of everything....and same problem occurred...

2ND EDIT - After a third clean reinstall of everything the problem has solved itself....don't know why but i don't care! the mod looks great.
    Glad to hear you got it to run now ... hmm, however, i can only imagine, that one little, but important detail in the former installation-trys or campaign-start-up-procederes was wrong ... same problem must have the other mates, who have posted recently the same kind of issue in the ctd-topic.

schminkypinky's Avatar Foederatus

I believe its to do with the installation of patch 1.6 for BI, so if anyone with the same problem as I had can make sure they install that properly...
    Lady Astor to Churchill "Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it"

Nevermind...
    Last edited by Joar; October 24, 2006 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joar
    May I ask why those who created this mod made it so "user unfriendly"? I have played lots of mods but never anyone who took all of this work to play. Why does the player have to create a shortcut for example? I don't get it, why not just have the installer create one? I have tried to install this mod two times now, but failed and since I am really bad at computors, I don't know how the h*ll I'm supposed to create a shortcut or anyhting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not critizing your mod ( it looks great ), but I can't for the love of God understand why you decided to make everything so complicated for the user.
    Just right click on RomeTW.exe in the activision/rome total war folder and select an option "create shortcut". Then right click on your shortcut, in the commandline you should find something like this:
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe"
    Add -nm -show_err -mod:chivalry so that it looks like this
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -nm -show_err -mod:chivalry
    Validate by pressing ok and run the game through the shortcut. :wink:

Oops, that is if you don't necessarily want to play through the BI.exe.
    Last edited by The White Knight; October 24, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Thanks, White Knight. I got help though, from my younger brother, who looked at it for a few seconds and sorted it out...

It works fine now. Nice work!

Patrician Artifex

No, you don't need to create shortcut

The chivalry installation delivers 2 shortcuts (just one as backup in an extra folder with the extra instructions, if somebody messed up something with the one contained direct in the chivalry folder) with the default CA RTW path included!!!
    The instructions explain everything ... the only flaw with the installer is, that it creates not a desktop-shortcut automatically.
    Well, this is a TW mod community, not a commercial pc-game community, so it is recommended to spend a bit time with your RTW directory structures, to understand what's goin' on, and if you guys have managed it successful to install multiple RTW/BI installs plus with multiple mods, then it shouldn't be too difficult to follow the Chiv instructions.
    As already said, it was also part of our beta testing with about more than 15 beta testers with different mod-user experience. Everybody has managed it, one or two latest with the second try, as they reported a problem.

So everybody should be able to copy/send the delivered shortcut to his desktop, not?

I can only explain myself your problems with the fact, that you don't read the instructions ... i'm now due to the self produced install-problems.

We can obviously explain and explain and giving instructions and giving more instructions and hints and tipps everywhere, and no matter what, you will complain or will not get it ... okay i'm calm down with the time again, no problem, but i think, we must then in fact give an installer with the default install path plus a desktop shortcut-launch for a next setup ... but, then there will be the many other ones, who have not a default CA installation, and will have the same problems probably.

Once more, the people with default CA directories have only to copy the delivered Chiv shortcut to the desktop and can start the game, if installed correct (some of our beta testers said: "Easy install and start" for example).

Sorry, my frustration is not personal meant to anybody here ... i know those problems/reports, since at least entered the mod community forums, and latest since i'm a team member of mod projects, but it always hard for the mod-makers to satisfy every user.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 24, 2006 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci
    We can obviously explain and explain and giving instructions and giving more instructions and hints and tipps everywhere, and no matter what, you will complain or will not get it...
    You need to calm down. Where have I "complained" over and over and over and over again? Please show me these excessive "complaints" I supposed to have made? I suppose you have read my last post ( look up ) and noticed that I have sorted the problem out. So why do you have to be rude? I'm really sorry if I have offended anyone by posting two ( 2 ) posts about me not being able to get the mod up and running and sounding a bit frustrated. I will not make the mistake of asking any more questions or boring you with my presense.

And by the way, yes, I have read the instructions ( over and over, trust me ) but my lack of understanding them correctly surely came from:

1. Not being the brightest boy when it comes to computors ( really hate them, actually ).
    2. Not being English/American and therefor having some initial problems translating the English terms to my own computors language. It's actually kind of tricky when you're more or less a novice at this.

Now, I installed the thing and tried every shortcut available, but none of them worked for me. The problem was that I did not install CTW on my "primary RTW installation" but made a copy of it and moved the copy to a folder. By doing this, the mod were no longer in "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War" but in "C:\Documents and Settings\Ägaren\Skrivbord\Jonas\Rome - TW" That's it.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast