Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

I ended up buying it and this is really good fun. First try as the union and gave up a ton of ground the first day although got some good kills decide to defend from the town itself, second day some minor skirmishing, gives me a defeat and I move south, third day kicked some rebel ass, repulsed a halfhearted attack and drove them back to the town, battle ended as it's turning into a rout, and... I lost the battle because the ground they took on the first day was worth so much

for some reason my pc took a picture of the start menu instead of the results screen but, 25k rebels vs ~12k union soldiers is a pretty good trade to me considering the results of the real battle, with what was left of a brigade surrounded and cut off from the rest of the rebel army, too bad theres not a fourth day haha, might not have been "relieved for my terrible performance"

Overall very impressive for an early access (same thing as beta?), only bug I can see is that artillery seems to have ridiculous amounts of health, which really sucks because if you assault something you get your men bunched up a bit, so the artillery reacts and sits on the best vantage point which is what it should do, its just now you have ~6 units on a hill that will rout your men before they can charge and will survive many volleys while murdering units with grape shot.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Arty seems pretty inconsistent in it's health sometimes. The other day the Iron brigade charged 5 rebel batteries and slaughtered them all in quick order (about 200 men!). But on the other side of the battle Kane's brigade charged two rebel guns, and only killed 3 guys on the guns.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Arty seems pretty inconsistent in it's health sometimes. The other day the Iron brigade charged 5 rebel batteries and slaughtered them all in quick order (about 200 men!). But on the other side of the battle Kane's brigade charged two rebel guns, and only killed 3 guys on the guns.

To be fair, the Iron Brigade >>>> Kane's brigade. I had never even heard of Kane until playing this game and I have studied this battle for years
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

the one time I caught it in melee the arty unit melted pretty quickly, but with a few units staggered shooting grape my men would usually rout before making contact, they could stand at a distance and shoot but that basically did no damage.

Actually that might be my problem, morale is basically gone once once a unit takes any fire, I don't know if that's my terrible positioning or if units are just super fragile.

edit:

I felt kind of bad for the iron brigade, I used them to hold my lines for like the first and second days, by the end they were nearly gone (and still held morale better then any other unit >.> )
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

The Iron brigade is meant to die, and take a load of rebs with it lol.

As for moral, it is a little too fragile at the moment I feel. I can understand routing after taking a volley of grapeshot to the face, but in stand up fire fights unless both units are shooting from heavy cover one unit seems to usually route after a volley or two. One thing I would like is for them to slow down the moral breaking a lot, but once it is broken have it a lot harder to come back. Like seriously, units will regain moral as you're chasing them down with cavalry, and then insta route your cav >->

I was under the impression cav was used mainly to scout at this point in history and have been doing ok by parking it a bit forward on my flanks (especially since it seems like they hardly shoot and will get routed by literally everything)

Morale could definitely use tweaking, although it already seems to come back slowly enough that I have to wait a very long time if I want to send a unit back to the frontlines without it trying to withdraw after every volley it takes.

edit:

I think I might have been loosing my battles before the end of the second day, finally beat it and Stuarts cav was a really nasty surprise, almost turned the tide of the battle as I face palmed watching individual units charge into my infantry and cause like 4 units to run away.

first day did pretty well k:d wise but got pushed back into the corner of the map because a unit of skirmishers ran around behind me and captured a hill as the day ended

second day really beat the crap out of the rebels; culps hill turned into the major meat grinder and overpowered them through sheer numbers

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I took like half my casualties on the third day, culps hill again was the major battle but the rebels actually took it because they over powered my flanks and I withdrew to keep from being encircled, was quite a frantic battle after jeb came riding in and everything was falling apart, luckily like half my 140 guns ended up on a single hill in the middle of the battlefield, every time a unit tried to take the hill they got absolutely slaughtered.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

have to say unit balance (cav and arty) is a bit wonky but the AI gave me a run for my money, was able to turn a disaster into a close defeat, had me almost surrounded with all my units dead or low morale at the end of the third day.
    Last edited by empr guy; June 21, 2014 at 01:57 PM.

is this game better than rome total war?

is there a campaign??
    falnk with cavlary. stay a way from muder hoels.

Theres just this one battle (broken up into possibly 9(i think) engagements), the ai is definitely better as well, everything else is incomparable imo. (if they deem this successful enough and make a campaign I would say it would probably play much better then rome)

Also, wow is it easy to win as confederates, assuming a good first battle you get reinforcements and either they spawn away from the battle meaning they can zerg hills behind the main fight (yay, epic victory with 2k dead on each side) or they come in behind union troops as they try to flank you

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I had fun but it was all over in an hour. I had three battles...essentially one for each day of historical Gettysburg. If there are 9 battles in the campaign somehow I missed them.

Yes you "missed" them. Certain happen depending on what you do a day. On average, there's about 3 battles a day, each one differing slightly depending on the course of the battle. Like for instance, I was given the option to launch a massive surprise attack against Benners hill at 5 in the morning on the 2nd day as the Union. Driving the rebs off. Then midday featured the Rebs counter attacking me in my new defensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    is this game better than rome total war?

is there a campaign??
    No and no.

Hello all, thank you for your feedback and comments. Please head to the new TWCenter forum for the game here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2063.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Bought it some days ago, and loving it so far

EDIT: Sorry, i did not see Darth`s last post
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Congratulation to your own new game, Darth. I really enjoy your mode in ETW, NTW, and STW2. It is pity that you don't make new mode for RTW2. I just saw your UG YouTube ad on TW center yesterday. I am going to purchase your UG on the steam and see how it felt. Good luck!!!
    The key to problems is usually the ignition key

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Three Moves Ahead devotes an entire podcast the Ultimate General: Gettysburg. https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/

"It's crazy good for what you're getting."
    "For ten dollars, I feel like I robbed a bank."

Needless to say, they all love it. Congrats to Darth & team
    Last edited by Huberto; July 09, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Amazing game, very addicting. Hope the Ultimate General Series expands for different theaters of war and full fledged campaigns.

Purchased it based on Darthmods amazing work, and contribution to my gaming happiness over the the years!! Can't wait to fire it up

Great game been playing it abit. But it feels like the armies is to hard to kill. Played a map was at the same point for like 20mins. I could not just push. And not many died so i couldnt advance at all.
    Last edited by Badmanis; September 24, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Hi all. Been watching this game from the sidelines for months now. I must say it looks intriguing. I guess one of the things that stopped me from jumping in from day one was that although I thought the features were inventive and the subject matter of the battle of Gettysburg really attractive, the little sprites that represented the soldiers moved across the map like ants on speed: way, way too fast. For me, that was an immersion killer and I held off from committing. Several months into the game, however, I know there have been a suite of patches, and that Darth has been listening to the feedback. So...how is the speed of the sprites now after all the patches? Have they been slowed down to more realistic levels? Or do they still power across the map like demented fleas?

Grateful views, as this is a red line issue for me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Apoll

Quote Originally Posted by apoll View Post
    Hi all. Been watching this game from the sidelines for months now. I must say it looks intriguing. I guess one of the things that stopped me from jumping in from day one was that although I thought the features were inventive and the subject matter of the battle of Gettysburg really attractive, the little sprites that represented the soldiers moved across the map like ants on speed: way, way too fast. For me, that was an immersion killer and I held off from committing. Several months into the game, however, I know there have been a suite of patches, and that Darth has been listening to the feedback. So...how is the speed of the sprites now after all the patches? Have they been slowed down to more realistic levels? Or do they still power across the map like demented fleas?

Grateful views, as this is a red line issue for me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Apoll
    It you pay attention to the timer, ever second or so equivalates to a minute of battle ingame, naturally, the speed of simulation is much faster than reality.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast