Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Default Ultimate General: Gettysburg

The speed depends on the difficulty you choose, I hope this will be an Ultimate General: series.

Default Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg

I'll vouch for an Ultimate General serie too if the price tag remains the same. I might want to see a campaign added too so we can have more and more battlefields.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Finally this game is out! Take my money!

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Only 5.99 in the UK omg probably the most modest and fair price for such a game i have ever seen thank you so much game labs and all people involved with the game.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

Just finished day one. Played with balance and the ai really knows where to hit you. So far my battles have gone draw, epic victory, and minor defeat. If you dont contain the enemy units, they can cause issues. Let 2 regiments go free and they went and harassed my artillery. Making my send men to take them on really hurt me and i lost the last battle.

Just purchased the game. Happy to support someone who worked so hard to improve Total War games. Good luck Darth!

Went the day without eating and got the game. It's downloading right now cant wait to play.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Adamwestisgod View Post
    Went the day without eating and got the game. It's downloading right now cant wait to play.
    OMG man please do not starve yourself .
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

Man, I wasn't really paying all that much attention to this game, but a recent campaign as Denmark using Darthmod in Empire and that cheap price tag have enticed me to hop on in. Download commencing.

Well seeing as how I just killed roughly 2/3rds of the Army of Northern Virginia I do believe I just won the war. I really like how it's set up, you start off on the first day, and each day you'll fight about 3 different battles, a few hours each. At the end of each session you get options as to what you want to do.

First day for me was pretty historical, getting pushed out of the town after trying to hold the north of it (but I kept Reynolds alive so yay me). But near the end of the day I survived on Culps hill and really broke the Rebs down, and even managed to counterattack all the way to seminary ridge again. So I started the second day off by gathering everything I could and launching an epic counter attack that decimated the rebel army and took me back to the northern ridges. For whatever reason the game then skipped to the 3rd day and had me defending south of the town...it was odd, but regardless, despite cavalry being ing useless and stupid, I beat back the rest of the Rebs to a smashing victory.

Game is fun, but definitely suffers from a lack of options. Moral is far to finicky of a mechanic right now, needs to drastically be slowed down. Also the lack of any ability to actually control your units other than pointing them in the right direction really hurts the game in my opinion. Not being able to control when a unit fires, the depth of their line or the width, takes a lot of the tactical options out. At the moments battles are just kind of nail biting cluster s with your main adversary being the weird moral mechanics that apparently say that 1000 dudes on horseback should run in fear the moment they attack some artillery from behind instead of actually killing the measly 80 men on the artillery.

Also, I would like to say I'm sorry to the Iron Brigade and your 80% casualties...but you glorious SOB's held that line like a dam holds back a river.
    Last edited by DarthShizNit; June 15, 2014 at 02:02 AM.

This game is a lot of fun but does move to fast for my tastes.

So far it does not hold a candle on scourge of war. But is a very fast game that one can play in a reasonable time without
    any of the obscurity of poorly thought out and controlled interfaces that games like scourge of war have.

Things I have noticed so far:

No ammunition
    No horse artillery
    No zoom to individual men - at least I have not counted the men yet!!! I should.
    Sprites look like scourge of war sprites
    Lack of any real control
    The friendly AI just seems to do whatever it wants
    Very hard to see terrain and how it blocks things atm
    There is no way of telling if the neighboring units are lifting morale
    There is no order delay and no messenger system as there is in scourge of war
    No campaign currently but you do choose between missions what battlefield or tactic to choose next
    Does have off map re-enforcements
    Does have moral - units are affected and they do regroup but usually with horrible morale
    Units are insanely hard to actually kill or permanently route
    other than infantry snipers sharpshooters and cavalry are on a tiny scale and it really makes you realise how little impact they have overall but locally can have
    Cannot control unit speed
    Cannot control formations
    No small unit tactics at all really

I am happy enough though as this is what I thought it was. Unity of command in a real time title.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

The 3rd day has not been released yet and the ability to control formations will be added too. You can see what they plan to do on the Game-Labs forum ;-)

Well I played about an hour or so yesterday, and I loved it! Youre right about that Iron Brigade, my god can they hold a line.
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

Well if the third day hasn't been released yet how did I play it lol? And that's nice that they plan to do that, we all told them too on the forums lol.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

hmm, this game looks pretty good, I would discount it for now because it's still early access but the $10 price is very tempting... Last I saw the full release was expected ~2 months after early access, anyone know if that's still the plan?
    Last edited by empr guy; June 15, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

It would make sense for them to release it for the 1st of July considering it's the anniversary of the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot View Post
    OMG man please do not starve yourself .
    Bah food is a crutch that only the weak use as an excuse to not do things . Seriously I cant stop playing this game I love it. Even better is that my Gf's nephew is a huge Civil war buff (but he doesnt really play games all that much). So I showed him this game and now he wants to buy it and play it lol. Which btw Darth is this game coming out for Kindle? I can tell you , you have at least ONE fan who would like it on there. Once again congrats on the great game.
    Last edited by Adamwestisgod; June 15, 2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Due to drunkin typos

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I wonder what the full price for this game will be ? $20 ? $30 ? This is a game that should not be bought on discounts. If not for the game, then definitely for the creator.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The defense

The counter attack

The trap

The slaughter.

And no Gettysburg would be complete with Custer having a finest hour.

Not bad for an afternoon.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Looks like UG:G got a rave review in Rock Paper Shotgun. Congrats to Darth and team! Going to take this game out for a test drive this weekend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast