Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hannibal at the Gates seems to be good, eh?

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Hannibal at the Gates seems to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by GenTiberius View Post
    I would have liked to see Carthage have more non mercenary quality Iberian units to represent the quite skilled Iberian troops used during the war. Hannibal's army is all African and that's unfortunate.

Greece should have been included in the game if it's supposed to be the second war since the Greeks certainly played a role in the war. It doesn't feel like the war when Greece is totally excluded. Sicily could have had more cities as well. The game doesn't really feel like the second war in terms of how the campaign plays out. Though, that may have more to do with the game not being able to represent it very well. Some of the issues are really with the overall game and have just found themselves in the DLC as well.

I do like that they sort of have client states and allies represented and we have the ability to try to get them to switch sides.
    Well at least you can with Carthage mods available in the Steam Workshop. Subscribe and have fun!

which one do you have? the only one that looked remotely good is not up to date.
    the rest are trash imo.
    some unit pack mods are good while others are just so stupid (eagle cohort cataphract cavalry like wtf?!)
    some of the good ones like DeI units are unfortunately attached by that horrible battle gameplay, the stats are messed, some units are OP while others are just UP.
    boring game play all round.
    It is extremely hard to find a proper unit pack mod that does not always come with a baggage of bad features attached to it.
    Last edited by Toho; March 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    My complaints basically center around the broken diplomacy and the fact that I wanted to try and recreate what Hannibal did in Italy to the best that the game allows, but isn't that the point of a mini-campaign based on the Second Punic War? It really is just the Grand Campaign on a smaller scale.
    Yes, you would think that would be the point of DLC focused on a specific conflict. But as I suspected,HatG apparently doesn't allow the strategies of the Second Punic War to be played out. Unbelievable. So why bother? Kewl new units and factions?

Quote Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
    I noticed this as well. I thought it was wierd
    Yes there were two Publius Cornelius Scipios during the second Punic War. One was Scipio Africanus and the other his father. His father and uncle were killed after seperating their armies in two in spain and being betrayed by their Spanish Allies. Thats when the younger Scipio volunteerd to take over the command in Spain that nobody wanted as it was far from home,hard to supply and reinforce and obviously wasn't going well.

I refuse to buy any expansions or DLC as i feel the core game is not acceptable and i won't spend another dime on the game because of piss poor AI campaign and Siege battles. Countless other issues. However i wish the GC had more historic leaders instead of the generics. HATG sounds like a slight upgrade.

Can we get moles to dig under enemy walls? A turn lasts a year so im sure whilst besieging that would give those critters enough time to dig their way under a wall. It would also help the AI out when attacking a city.

LOL, Moles. We could infuse this into the tech tree, mole trainer level 1, mole trainer level 2, adds 5% bonus to mole digging time. Oh heavens, silly me, I am getting off topic. Yes HATG seems to be good.
    Last edited by stevehoos; April 02, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    LOL, Moles. We could infuse this into the tech tree, mole trainer level 1, mole trainer level 2, adds 5% bonus to mole digging time. Oh heavens, silly me, I am getting off topic. Yes HATG seems to be good.
    I KNEW THEY COULD DO IT !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvTntfJOkA
    Last edited by rafmc1989; April 02, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Old Dragoon♔ View Post
    Well at least you can with Carthage mods available in the Steam Workshop. Subscribe and have fun!
    Of course I use mods, but mods only kind of fix that problem and I somewhat agree with the previously stated issues about these mods. It would have been nice to have proper units in the Carthaginian armies to begin with.

Just as big an issue is that you really can't do what Hannibal was doing in Italy which, I agree, was the main appeal of the game.

Just as big an issue is that you really can't do what Hannibal was doing in Italy which, I agree, was the main appeal of the game.
    I'd say this is the big issue; the 'elephant; in the room, as it were.

I watched some of the LegendofTotalWar's HatG's play through videos as Syracuse. Nice videos too by the way. But what jumps out immediately is that we have the same passive AI that is always busy somewhere else (?) or out at sea dreaming sweet dreams. Second turn in the game the player backstabs Rome siezes all of Sicily using elite General units as a clever exploit. Yet through three videos we never see Rome in the game, except for an occasional fleet or water army sailing by. Player says in the video the legions must be dealing with a crisis somewhere else, but by now, if you've sunk enough hours into TWR2, you know that simply isn't true.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Just finished my Hard Carthage GC. Going to take a short break and then jump in as Rome or Syracuse most likely, Lusitani sound fun, but from what I hear they're a lot like the Barcids (It's hard to make friends). Can't decide if I want epic conflict or starting from the bottom up as Syracuse.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Miles

Has anyone played as the Iberian tribes? I'm playing as the Lusitani and I find it pretty difficult to build up any of my provinces since they have some pretty terrible temples and there aren't many ways to provide happiness. I mean all I'm doing is putting down rebellions every couple of turns because I don't feel like having to leave all my buildings at the 2nd tier. It's also annoying because the only way to increase research rates for barbarian tribes is through the bardic circle agriculture building, which honestly is also a pretty terrible building too. Don't know if anyone has a better idea on how to utilize the Celtiberian building chains better.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    I'd say this is the big issue; the 'elephant; in the room, as it were.

I watched some of the LegendofTotalWar's HatG's play through videos as Syracuse. Nice videos too by the way. But what jumps out immediately is that we have the same passive AI that is always busy somewhere else (?) or out at sea dreaming sweet dreams. Second turn in the game the player backstabs Rome siezes all of Sicily using elite General units as a clever exploit. Yet through three videos we never see Rome in the game, except for an occasional fleet or water army sailing by. Player says in the video the legions must be dealing with a crisis somewhere else, but by now, if you've sunk enough hours into TWR2, you know that simply isn't true.
    Right, it really isn't true. The Romans sat outside of Africa with two army transports without ever attacking and I've met just one Roman army in Italy so far. It wasn't even composed very well. I think that's been the biggest issue on that front, the armies absolutely refuse to stay on land and fight.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Right, it really isn't true. The Romans sat outside of Africa with two army transports without ever attacking and I've met just one Roman army in Italy so far. It wasn't even composed very well. I think that's been the biggest issue on that front, the armies absolutely refuse to stay on land and fight.
    Ok, so we're still there. That's just what I wanted to know.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

You guys really bought this?

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chemboya View Post
    I actually laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemboya
    Let's not overdo it. While there are issues with it, and the game can be very annoying, with some mods downloaded one can actually find himself having a decent amount of fun playing it. That won't fix the siege issues, but the some of the issues can be somewhat addressed with mods. All of this is especially true if the specific time period is a major interest.

I just finish my campaign with Lusitani at legendary. I thought would be more difficult !!! was just hard at beguining , after is just too easy!! just keep u units and generals alife, make a lot off food!! Grand campaing is hrder then then hagt

Quote Originally Posted by Mimoxx
    after is just too easy!!
    Isn't one of the main criticisms about the grand campaign that it is hard at the start and easy later? I haven't played as one of the minor factions, but I don't exactly see the difference.

I think that's been the biggest issue on that front, the armies absolutely refuse to stay on land and fight.
    Not surprising, since that's TWR2's biggest problem as well

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Is it all we have on HATG ? 5 pages in a thread called ''HATG seems to be good''. Not so inspiring.

No "HATG is good" thread ?
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast