Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hannibal at the Gates seems to be good, eh?

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Hannibal at the Gates seems to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    @ Bearddiscussion

Hannibal was younger than 18 when his father died and i believe under 20 when he started his campaign. A giant beard would be a bit weird for such a young guy.
    Except he looks the same in the Zama historical battle, when he's supposed to be 45.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

What is better CiG or HatG? Maybe somebody could start a poll about that... i cant because i am on mobile and going to sleep

I only played a little bit today, but from what Ive seen there is a difference in quality. I think im going to like it alot.

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post
    My experience so far had been ok-ish. The diplomatic situation for Carthage at the start is far too hostile, and only 2 factions will accept trade agreements (with hefty bribes). I'm just not getting that drive to attack and conquer like I did in CiG. The new background is quite good, but a bit oppressive to look at with the overly bold colour scheme. Perhaps they could tone down the aggressive purple.

I really liked the Zama battle, and the scripted AI works well here. Cannae was fine, I suppose, and the AI was again a respectable representation, I think I just expected more from the most spectacular battle of the ancient world. The Cannae armies are a little small, the Carthage cavalry contingent isn't strong/large enough and the actual strategies are never really going to work without a 'give ground/steady retreat' ability.

Also, what happened to Hannibal's beard? In all promo shots, loading screens, historical battle intros and videos he has a beard, but on the battle map, just a fuzzy stubble. He looks like a teenager. Where is my Hannibal beard?

Edit: I don't know maybe that post seemed too negative for such a small playtime (a few hours). I'll persevere and see if it grows on me.
    CA,where the charismatic hannibal barca of the video presentation?
    this is horrible,not have the historical portrait of Hannibal Barca,only a generic and horrible portrait.
    scipio the african,also not has its historical portrait.
    and other historical generals have not customized your portrait to give more immersion and realism to the campaign.
    i thought that CA it was going to correct their previous mistakes and add historical, immersive and realistic elements to this new campaign.
    CA then do a wonderful video and make publicity misleading
    hopefully that CA implements at least the historical portraits of the generals in a patch.
    i not play enough to know if there are events or historical dilemmas to the style of fall of the samurái,CA said that will have historical events and dilemmas in this campaign.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by mmarekk11 View Post
    What is better CiG or HatG? Maybe somebody could start a poll about that... i cant because i am on mobile and going to sleep
    CiG has more of the feel of a literal campaign, a mission. HatG is just plain epic, although I haven't gotten into it yet. I had been busy finishing with my Carthage campaign. Just judging from what I saw, it has the potential to be a Kingdoms Brittania killer. The pieces are all in place. With Illyrian and Macedonian mod support, it would absolutely destroy people's initial opinion of this game.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

We can only hope that the rest of the game gets anywhere close to this expansion.

I'm underwhelmed by this expansion. They changed a few little things, but that's about it. I guess I'm hoping for too much.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Keep it on topic.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

I'm really liking the campaign so far, I just might have to add a few more playable factions for myself down the road.

Off-topic removed.

~LestaT
    Last edited by AngryTitusPullo; March 28, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by GussieFinkNottle View Post

Also, what happened to Hannibal's beard? In all promo shots, loading screens, historical battle intros and videos he has a beard, but on the battle map, just a fuzzy stubble. He looks like a teenager. Where is my Hannibal beard?

Edit: I don't know maybe that post seemed too negative for such a small playtime (a few hours). I'll persevere and see if it grows on me.
    You can get Hannibal's beard here :p
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...45&searchtext=

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

1) The Hannibal model sucks. Trailers and artwork leading us to believe we'll get this kickass bare headed bearded heroic icon in-game, and in stead we have a shaved teenager with a transverse crest. That's bollocks. Relying on a mod to bring in a more appropriate Hannibal is not the answer.

2) For such a crucial time in the region's history the gameplay doesn't seem as immersive or engaging as Caesar in Gaul. With CiG the were was actually a bit of a feel that you were having a Bellum Gallico experience. I'm not getting this from Hannibal at the Gates. The much vaunted political research seems a bit anemic.

3) The (FINALLY) addition of the transverse crests for centurions that came with this and the latest patch was nice, but it's too little, too late from CA. Mod's have already made spectacular centurions, complete with transverse crests, cloaks and varying levels of phalerae. I'd rather have centurion mods working with the latest patch than CA's belated fix.

4) Since latest patch that came with the DLC has embuggered all mods and CA's 'helpful' non-updated mod system has been implemented, we're forced to muddle though their vanilla-ness and shyte officer helmets and armour for awhile until modders catch up.

Was hoping for bit more, immersion-wise from HatG, but so far it has less of a 'being there' feel than CiG. I wanted much more political intrigue, desperation and brutality that the Punic Wars were known for. Maybe after someone mods in a better Hannibal and a sword-wielding Scipio and I've had a chance at a longer campaign I'll change my mind.
    Last edited by Captain Arrrgh!; March 28, 2014 at 03:37 AM.

HATG seems to be quite a mess.. cultures are completely mis-assigned, Iberian culture is overridden by Celtic, generals get Roman promotions.. Roman armies are no longer named as Legions...typical CA fast baked mess.

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    HATG seems to be quite a mess.. cultures are completely mis-assigned, Iberian culture is overridden by Celtic, generals get Roman promotions.. Roman armies are no longer named as Legions...typical CA fast baked mess.
    I had a strange experience with my first try, getting fall instead of summer in july...
    The game starts as spring in february is perhaps the reason.

I would need to restart anew to check if i have the same thing.

Hannibal at the Gates is indeed pretty good. The game-play itself is more akin to fighting a singular war... CiG always felt too much like a free-for-all to me. HatG is more focused, and the accompanying patch has given Carthage a much-needed increase to the usefulness and abundance of mercenaries.

All that said, I noticed some of same things JaM mentions above: right off the bat, the Roman armies are not using names that seem appropriate... I'm not the greatest with history, but weren't they already called 'legions' ('legio' or whatever) prior to 300 BCE? Also, my seasons are somewhat off... unseasonal conditions sometimes have counter-intuitive effects, and even the standard seasonal effects within provinces aren't always quite what I'd expect (even after I consider that the Mediterranean has very, very different winters than my area here in Milwaukee, U.S.A.).

But I'm more forgiving of these smaller issues because in HatG, unlike vanilla at release, they've covered the basics fairly well this time. HatG has its issues, but for the most part, they are not as major... even siege AI seems a bit better, though still not quite what I'd want to settle on at this time.

But what really helps HatG to be fun is that there are two main sides to get immersed in... I like CiG strategically, aside from the free-for-all feel it can slide into at times, but I never really got immersed with the non-Roman factions. With HatG, at least there is a non-Roman side that you can delve into.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Anibal at portas View Post
    CA,where the charismatic hannibal barca of the video presentation?
    this is horrible,not have the historical portrait of Hannibal Barca,only a generic and horrible portrait.
    scipio the african,also not has its historical portrait.
    and other historical generals have not customized your portrait to give more immersion and realism to the campaign.
    i thought that CA it was going to correct their previous mistakes and add historical, immersive and realistic elements to this new campaign.
    CA then do a wonderful video and make publicity misleading
    hopefully that CA implements at least the historical portraits of the generals in a patch.
    i not play enough to know if there are events or historical dilemmas to the style of fall of the samurái,CA said that will have historical events and dilemmas in this campaign.
    Ok now I didn't go anywhere near that far. Take a chill pill.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

So, from what I've read, it doesn't seem as though Hannibal invades Italy if you play at Rome? Anyone seen this happen in any of their games before I commit to this?

Quote Originally Posted by ABH2 View Post
    So, from what I've read, it doesn't seem as though Hannibal invades Italy if you play at Rome? Anyone seen this happen in any of their games before I commit to this?
    No its just like GC only on a smaller map. I would have liked to see historical script events, And some Generals for MP like CIG did.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

I had my seasons off buy 3 months, having autumn in July. Other than that it seems great.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

I noticed that each faction in HaG has different advisors.
    I like it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast