Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Battle Realism Mod {{Version2}}

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Battle Realism Mod {{Version2}}

Do you have some units shifting between shaken and steady? That's a good sign of it's working. Also, charge cavalry into another unit and see if one side breaks quickly. If that happens consistently you have it installed right.

Yes on the shaken/steady. In the regular IS 2.2, a cavalry charge almost always broke a unit quickly unless it was a powerful unit. Now I believe it's taking longer for that to happen--units seem more resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by MainMan View Post
    Yes on the shaken/steady. In the regular IS 2.2, a cavalry charge almost always broke a unit quickly unless it was a powerful unit. Now I believe it's taking longer for that to happen--units seem more resistant.
    This doesn't seem right. Cavalry should be very sensitive. Early infantry would not be able to withstand a cavalry charge unless it is light cavalry charging in a frontal assault.

Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by MainMan View Post
    This was not my experience.. cavalry can route units with ease so long as they're not taking heavy fire.

PS: I've just played my first two battles with this enabled and I say hats off to you sir. It's very very good. I was skeptical at first and even now, with so few casualties, it feels a bit strange, but, the over all experience is extremely realistic and the AI is actually beating me! It must be the increased 'variability' in terms of casualties and it will take some practice to learn how to score the biggest kills. This is absolutely brilliant - comparable and perhaps better than JaM's realism work - and it is a major treat knowing this will be in the 3.0 version.

Thank you!
    I appreciate compliments!!!

If you have suggestions for improvement, please let me know!

Decanus

I think very slightly faster infantry and cavalry movement and musket kill rate would feel better. Very slightly.

One more compliment: I will install Empire on my home computer specifically to play I.S. + your battle realism. I'm very excited to see this on my R9 290/maximum visual quality

I too having a great time playing ROTR, was playing Spain, but had to start another campaign with France.
    As France it isn't easy. The economy is hard, wars are tough, thankfully allies DO, help! Trying to save my fleets from sinking and engaging useless battles.

But did see some textures on uniforms to be fixed, not sure if you guys have noticed it already. But here they are.
    Wurttenberg, line infantry, the uniforms need to be fixed.
    Austrian hourse guards missing flag bearers and their line infantry too.
    United Provinces Zwitserse infantry uniform textures need fixing and their cavalry units too.

FIRST UPDATED THE OPS
    I changed the name of the file to be compatible with the IS launcher. I also added an image on the starting menu to let people know that the mod is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by La Tene View Post
    I think very slightly faster infantry and cavalry movement and musket kill rate would feel better. Very slightly.

One more compliment: I will install Empire on my home computer specifically to play I.S. + your battle realism. I'm very excited to see this on my R9 290/maximum visual quality
    First, thank you!
    If you increase the movement rate, then you have to increase the fire rate. The battles will become too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveholmes View Post
    I too having a great time playing ROTR, was playing Spain, but had to start another campaign with France.
    As France it isn't easy. The economy is hard, wars are tough, thankfully allies DO, help! Trying to save my fleets from sinking and engaging useless battles.
    I doubt you have too many suken ships.... heavily damaged, yes. I won't say it won't happen, but it is rare. I played several battles and never had a ship explode. My last two test battles had too catastrophic explosions.

No they rarely blow up. But the British and Dutch, and Austrian fleets are gang banging my navy and slowly crippling my economy and trade ports. Spain can't even defend their own frontiers that Morrocain raiders, are raiding France. I haven't seen this AI being so cooperative in trying to destroy me... Thank G that the USA is still holding against GB or else things would be much worst.

Decanus

"If you increase the movement rate, then you have to increase the fire rate. The battles will become too fast. "

Yes I understand and the moral effects would mean battles would end too quick with higher musket fire kill rate enabled..

But to be fair, the values are very low now.. low move rate, low kill rate.. the mechanics are very very good but I think very slightly faster kill/move with of course slightly less moral penalties to compensate.. I think it would be good

I'm back on my ETW computer so I'll be playing my IS Prussia campaign in the next days

If you take the offensive; you can move to half range or less then shoot a volley. The effect is devastating. In defense, you have less of an opportunity. The AI likes to shoot at maximum range. You could step out in cut the range if you want, but that may not be tactically feasible. This is why I want to eh AI to charge sooner. I would prefer a few volleys and then charge. This would put a lot of pressure on the human player as well.

Anyway, I played a battle the other day and I was able to close the distance while taking a volley at full range and medium range. Then I had my volley. I am actually more concern with artillery and mounted units not moving fast enough than infantry being too slow.

Just an FYI, the AI do not always respond to certain variables. For example, I thought by increasing the penalty for boarding the AI will be hesitant to board, but this was not the case. They boarded anyway and since I used an extreme number they routed right away upon boarding. It makes since if you think about it. The action to board is determine by the likelihood of victory. If it could win a boarding better than shooting it out, it will board. It is the same principle with charging or shooting. So far, I haven't figure out how it decides where it will stand to shoot it out. Mostly it stands at a distance. On some occasions, it gets really close.

Anyway, the next time I get a chance to play a bunch of battles, I can try some things out.

If Increase kill and lower moral penalty I will result in a lot of Pyrrhic battles.

Just a quick question, is this compatible with any other mods or vanilla? or is only good with IS stats?
    Host of the Napoleon Total War AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 2.1 MOD Discord Server - https://discord.gg/6JWWBQq "TUNNELSSSS....ARE USELESS, so why bother anyway!" - Captain Henry Wirz

IS only

Hey PikeStance, im using Pack File Manager with TC submod, and where's the projectile damage for land units table in that file? its only showing naval projectile damages, I want to increase musket projectile damage ever so slightly and maybe increase morale by 1 for each unit- the unit stat table is there just not the general projectile table- except like I said naval projectile table.

I want to make the mod just a tad more bloody, like instead of 4 men dead per volley round(3 lines of shot) 2/3rds closer than maximum musket range, like double 8 men dead. Im getting right up close in custom battle with French line infantry against Austrian line infantry on MEDIUM battle difficulty and only killing 3-4 men per volley round while the enemy unit kills 5-6 of my men which doesn't make sense on that difficulty, that close like you said should make the muskets a lot more lethal than say 80 yards away.
    Host of the Napoleon Total War AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 2.1 MOD Discord Server - https://discord.gg/6JWWBQq "TUNNELSSSS....ARE USELESS, so why bother anyway!" - Captain Henry Wirz

Quote Originally Posted by warboy View Post
    Hey PikeStance, im using Pack File Manager with TC submod, and where's the projectile damage for land units table in that file? its only showing naval projectile damages, I want to increase musket projectile damage ever so slightly and maybe increase morale by 1 for each unit- the unit stat table is there just not the general projectile table- except like I said naval projectile table.

I want to make the mod just a tad more bloody, like instead of 4 men dead per volley round(3 lines of shot) 2/3rds closer than maximum musket range, like double 8 men dead. Im getting right up close in custom battle with French line infantry against Austrian line infantry on MEDIUM battle difficulty and only killing 3-4 men per volley round while the enemy unit kills 5-6 of my men which doesn't make sense on that difficulty, that close like you said should make the muskets a lot more lethal than say 80 yards away.
    I didn't make any changes to the projectile table, so it isn't there. The point of the mod is to create more realistic battles. If you want a more arcade effect, you would be better off not using the submod and modding the IS files directly.
    Generally, if you shoot at range, you will be less effective. As you fire, you will lose cohesion and accuracy. If you march half range taking maybe one or two volleys then fire two rounds, you should inflict more damage.

ATTENTION****** anyone who likes PikeStance morale and fatigue values but want the volleys to be a bit more deadly than all you have to do is go to is Land_kv_rules table in Pack file manager and scroll all the way down until you see projectile_calibration_target_area and change the value from 20 to say like 10 or maybe even 5 depending on your preference, but I wouldn't go lower than 5 as pikestance said it starts to get too bloody and stops feeling like a realism mod, but I find 10 value perfect (shootouts last almost as long plus a little deadlier), I also adjust some fatigue values that have to do with shooting, combat and reloading but that's up to you, if you just change that value from 20 to 10 you won't notice much difference at all except a few more bodies on the field at the end of a battle.

P.S. Hey PikeStance any ETA on that 2.1 version with the naval fixes is coming? you have on the main post...coming this week, just wondering as im editing a few values and if your releasing new version say in a couple days then I will wait for that before I do any changes.
    Last edited by warboy; February 21, 2016 at 06:44 AM.

I've been playing for a long while with a slightly older version of this submod and enjoying it very much, but I just upgraded; first battle and all the enemy cavalry units instantly charged me - their general straight into a fully formed square of grenadiers. I tried to see if the mod was activated at all, but it shows in the main menu and units appear to use your fatigue/moral model.
    Gesaga him éac wordum, þæt híe sint wilcuman Deniga léodum

The 2015 Modding Awards is now open for Nominations. When nominating, be aware that Battle Realism: Tactical Commander is eligible.
    Please go HERE to nominate.

Hello, first sorry to ask what is probably a common question, but is it compatible with RotR ?

To answer your question; Yes. there is a download link for both versions.
    The good news is I will be discontinuing the Rise of the Republic version. The reason is it will be included in the next release; Rise of the Republic v1.1
    For the regular mod (2.2.1b), it will continue to be a submod until we update 2.2.1b which won't be until after the final version of Rise of the Republic is released.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast