Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Battle Realism Mod {{Version2}}

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Battle AI Tactical Enhancement {{BETA Version}}

Quote Originally Posted by malkekoen View Post
    Hi Pike.

I have now had some time to try the naval changes, and they're great. I really like how ships move, and smaller ships now have a definite advantage in speed and maneuvreability. The thing I suggest would need a little more work is the damage ratio of cannons. It is almost impossible to sink a ship, and chain-shots and canisters are next-to useless.

I understand that you intent to make it more difficult to gain insane amounts of prize money by allowing ships to rout, but I find I actually capture more ships by catching them with my light ships because they never sink.

Also, without being an expert in naval warfare, I am inclined to believe that the massive amount of shots a ship can take without it causing any real damage is unrealistic. I also miss a bit the unexpected events like demasting, explosions etc., that now never occur. Granted, it should be rare, but possible.

I would suggest to up the damage and thus increase the rate of a ship sinking. If you want to do something about the prize money, maybe half the income?
    The goal was the create a more historically accurate naval engagement. It is not impossible to capture ships in small engagements. I was able to capture larger British with smaller french ships in my test in an in game scenario. Captured ships were rare in large battles unless it s was an ambush with limited sea space to maneuver.

Also to my knowledge, I am not sure it was common for nations to "sell" back captured ships. Ships, like a cannons, were a prize to be savored and no greater joy can be than to recapture a ship.
    [I recently read an account of the Battle of New Orleans and despite the defeat, the British was thrilled to recapture a cannon loss at the Battle of Yorktown.]

Actually, a lot of ships changed its owner over time.. the most likely scenario how ships were captured, were after some naval engagement, usually losing side was unable to protect its badly damaged ships, which usually ended up captured.. Brits, French, Spaniards.. they all lost a lot of ships like that..

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Actually, a lot of ships changed its owner over time.. the most likely scenario how ships were captured, were after some naval engagement, usually losing side was unable to protect its badly damaged ships, which usually ended up captured.. Brits, French, Spaniards.. they all lost a lot of ships like that..
    This was mu understanding reading the battle reports and various other sources as well. This is also how it happened in my test scenarios that I ran.

The way I see it if my efforts for historical accuracy removes a "cheat" option in the game, then the game becomes more challenging... I just killed two birds with one stone. More power to me...haha!

btw, what did you do to make ships surrender less?

Just started a campaign as UK with 3 turns mod.
    I have only fought navy battles at the moment. Having come from Darthmod I have found I loved the naval battles of IS but found getting used to the speed hard. Pirates owned me at first as I kept on running into the edge of the map. Are the ships faster?
    My tactics is to form line and batter enemy with roundshot from a distance. With ships being so expensive each ship sunk was a painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    btw, what did you do to make ships surrender less?
    Honestly, when you first asked this question I really didn't know or wasn't sure.
    Recently, I noticed ships taking a lot of damages but still continuing to fight. There was enough damaged that two things were or should happen, the ship routes or sink. Since I set the sinking value high, it remained afloat. I played with both the casualty and Hull damage variable. What I noticed was ships started to surrender more. It seems no matter what value I put ship_casualty_surrender_threshold the ships surrender likelihood increased. I was able to reduce the surrendering when I lowered the effects of the loss of casualties. So, despite it being illogical, if you do not want ships to surrender, you need to reduce the effects the loss of men have on morale.

It seems odd that the loss of men is tied to surrendering. I would think if a Captain notices a loss of men, he will most likely get the "heck out of dodge" before surrendering. However, if he significant damage to ship, then I can see a captain surrendering to save the lives of his crew. Common phrases by captains seems to suggest this was the case.

ANNOUNCEMENT
    I will be updating the battle mechanic soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulpicius View Post
    Just started a campaign as UK with 3 turns mod.
    I have only fought navy battles at the moment. Having come from Darthmod I have found I loved the naval battles of IS but found getting used to the speed hard. Pirates owned me at first as I kept on running into the edge of the map. Are the ships faster?
    My tactics is to form line and batter enemy with roundshot from a distance. With ships being so expensive each ship sunk was a painfull.
    You shouldn't experience too many sinking ships. On occasions, a ship will get the magazine shot and will cause the ship to explode. Generally, a ship will catch fire once about every two major engagement.

Forming a line is good when you are upwind of the AI, however, when you are downwind I found that the AI does a good job of separating/ isolating your ships, so I form a double line instead.

some of the units have 100+ melee attack is this how it is suppose to work?

at point blank range no body is dying from musket fire

sometimes some units morale also keeps on changing from shaken,steady

im using 2.2.1b tactical commander

mod "Pike_TC_IS.pack";
    mod "Imperial Splendour 2_2 DB.pack";
    mod "Imperial Splendour 2_2 Media.pack";
    mod "IS_Horses.pack";
    mod "IS_sounds_musics.pack";
    mod "IS_Artillery.pack";
    mod "IS_britain.pack";
    mod "IS_Flags.pack";
    mod "IS_france.pack";
    mod "IS_mod_BSM_4_1_Medium.pack";
    mod "IS_mod_no_forts.pack";
    mod "deploymod.pack";
    Last edited by ayrond091; January 14, 2015 at 08:14 PM.

I didn't change any of the specific traits of the units.
    I dealt with morale, projectiles, troop movement speed, modifiers, etc....

In the future, we need to go through all of the units and come up with a standardization. Since the factions were created by different people at different times they may be some under and over powered. I will be forming a team to look at each unit and states and come up with a standardized number for each trait and then adjust them to historical accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I didn't change any of the specific traits of the units.
    I dealt with morale, projectiles, troop movement speed, modifiers, etc....

In the future, we need to go through all of the units and come up with a standardization. Since the factions were created by different people at different times they may be some under and over powered. I will be forming a team to look at each unit and states and come up with a standardized number for each trait and then adjust them to historical accuracy.
    its beautiful how the units are really close to each other though but i guess ill have to wait for future updates since this is not working for me

Quote Originally Posted by ayrond091 View Post
    some of the units have 100+ melee attack is this how it is suppose to work?
    at point blank range no body is dying from musket fire
    sometimes some units morale also keeps on changing from shaken,steady
    im using 2.2.1b tactical commander
    its beautiful how the units are really close to each other though but i guess ill have to wait for future updates since this is not working for me
    Forgot to ask, which unit has 100+ melee attack? This is most likely a typo.

You have to realize that each man represents 4- 6 men in reality. So when one man dies, it means 4-6 actually died.
    There is a fine line between units taking casualties and morale. If they lose too many men they will route quickly leaving for fast, but may be too intense battles. Also, increasing it would put the AI at a distinct disadvantage because even in battles when it should be the defender, it often goes on the offensive.

Units flicker from one status to another for a reason. There are both positive and negative factors. When the positive factors are greater than the negative factors, then the status may go up. If the inverse is true, the status will go down. This would occur in any mod/ vanilla is the status is on the edge of any status.

I do plan on making changes. One is also looking at more effective shooting. The other are increasing the effects of being attack on the flanks and increasing the "fatigue" (Cohesion) of mounted units while engaged in an attack. Also, units recovering faster when not under fire and at rest.

Thanks for your feedback.

ADDENDUM

I played a test battle. I wanted to add something I neglected to mentioned before. As your men "tired" their effectiveness drops. There most accurate shot they will take is the first shot. So if you shoot at maximum range, you won't get a lot of hits. You might get one. If you get in close or wait until they move in close and then shoot, you can have an effective volley. In two rounds of shot, I took 9 men. I then charge then and complete shattered the unit. This behavior is consistent with the information we have about combat in this era.

When I was playing as GB. The stats at the campaign map is ok. But when the land battle starts some of my units have 100+ melee attack.

Like the militia (forgot which one) and the british line infantry. Other colonial units is ok.

I looked through all of the entries and I didn't see anything close to a hundred. A 100+ melee attack would make the unit seem invincible. I am going to assume it is "bug" that is causing this.
    Plus, when I did my tests, I almost always use France vs Britain with the AI playing Britain. With such a high number, the AI would just charge me.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I looked through all of the entries and I didn't see anything close to a hundred. A 100+ melee attack would make the unit seem invincible. I am going to assume it is "bug" that is causing this.
    Plus, when I did my tests, I almost always use France vs Britain with the AI playing Britain. With such a high number, the AI would just charge me.

i also tried france vs GB (me) normal line infantry both me and france have 100+ melee attack ill try posting it later on

i also tried france vs GB (me) normal line infantry both me and france have 100+ melee attack ill try posting it later on
    I found what happened. In the kv_rules_table
    Bayonet_attack_melee_bonus:
    The original value (vanilla) was 3. I changed it to 100.
    What I was attempting to do was convince the AI to attack by charging into your lines after firing a few shots. It did work. The AI would fire a few rounds and then charge into you. The secondary reason why I did it was to give the AI a greater advantage. However, I think I can still accomplish the goal with a less extreme number. For some reason, at the time, I didn't think the number of literal.

IS there a submod to remove FBR? i prefer when the whole unit fires at once like in the film PAtriot and in the NTW3 mod ?

No. It is our goal to have each faction to behave as they did historically.
    I have NTW3 as well. A fantastic mod, but it is the Napoleonic era.
    I do make submods upon request, however, I do not have the time at the moment. If you are interested in learning how to mod, I can help if needed.

I've found this crashes with The Hannover Mod, Nec Aspera Terrent and the Compatability patch. I choose Hannover for the Grand Campaign and the thing crashes. Are there any fixes?
    I first dragged in Nec Aspera Terrent, then "Pike_TC_ROR" and then the compatability patch that replaces the two files. I then use the suggested User Script from the OP. Have I made a mistake anywhere?

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

If you installed Nec Aspera Terrent - Fall of the Electorate Patch 2 I fear that this version is no longer compatible with this BAI mod.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast