Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

Default Re: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

Looks good, but i think the predominant color of shirt should be white and other soldier would wear all blue like the work overalls.

Also i think some of the assets of ACW Napoleon could be usefull like some hats, trousers and shirts.
    Last edited by esejony65; July 14, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    "romanes eunt domus"

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

That particular unit is the Basque Gudaris. The local Basque government could not sufficiently supply the Basque Army on the Northern Front with uniforms so many soldiers wore civilian shirts, usually striped or grid "lumberjack" patterns. The only real consistency of the Basque Army was that they wore either berets as it was a common piece of clothing in their culture, or M26 helmets made in the military factories of Northern Spain when they could get them. The standard militia of the Republic wears blue work overalls with other civilian clothes.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; July 14, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Here is my second attempt with civilian clothing on the Basque Gudaris, plus the addition of berets made courtesy of Agunter. Agunter has additionally provided us with the Spanish M26 helmet and the Italian M33 helmet as well, both of which are posted below.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I must say that the civilian clothing does look better with darker, more subdued colors. "Bending" is still a problem and I hope I can get that worked out somehow.

Some additional screenshots:
    Nationalist SMG Infantry:

Italian CTV Infantry:

Navarese Requetes:

Please give Agunter some rep and check out his Blitzkrieg mod as well for all the hard work on the hats that he has been so kind as to share with us.

This is some good work here.
    "romanes eunt domus"

I have to say that the Spanish Nacionalist Flag is wrong (at least in these years of civil war), unnafortunally is so close to the actual flag. I hate this
    This is it:

And this is used by The Carlist (Carlistas)

these are my resources:
    - http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bando_sublevado
    - http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junta_de_Defensa_Nacional
    In English:
    - https://translate.google.es/translat...ado&edit-text=
    - https://translate.google.es/translat...nal&edit-text=

And more pics of the Guardia civil uniform in 1936-1939.

Look at golden band and the color of sholders

The flags used are a work in progress. We do have the authentic flags (seen in the Original Post) and will be added. At the moment we're using the base game Spain to test all units. Nearing completion, we will switch over and give them to their respective factions.

With the Guardia Civil, we are currently working with the resources we have available uniform wise. Perhaps we will make an authentic bicorn and the yellow suspender belts in a future update.

Hi EmperorBatman999,

First at all, congratulations for your great work!

My partner and me designed a board wargame about the Spanish Civil War: "A las Barricadas!" (https://www.facebook.com/nicolas.esk...5209772&type=3, right now in preorder the second edition and I would love help you with your mod, have many information, references, etc. For example you didn't add the tank "Trubia" or the armored vehicle "Bilbao".

About the BT-5 reference you post on this site, don't add the "radio" turret version, never used in the SCW.

Please, let me know if can help you.

Best
    Niko

Icon3 Re: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

After take a look to the information you have a bout the SCW armor vehicles , here are the ones you didn't included (maybe I forget one, have to check):

R: (Republican) - N: (Nationalist)

- Schneider CA1 Mod. 1916 - R

- Trubia 75A Mod. 1918 - R/N

- Autoametralladora blindado Bilbao - R

- Pz I-A Breda - N

- Trubia Mod. 1926 - R

- Trubia Mod. 1936 - R

- Fiat Ansaldo CV-3 Mod1935 Lanciafiamme (flamethrower) - N

-Ansaldo Lancia IZ Mod. 1917 - N (C.T.V.)

- Kleines Panzerbefehlswagen (HQ PzI A) - N

Armored assault vehicle and artillery tractor IGC-Sadurni - R

BTW, this are just reference samples, if need with more detail, just let me know.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Here's my attempt so far to make civilian clothing.

I don't think they look that bad myself, but the problem is that I don't know to account for the "bending" that happens when the texture is fitted.
    Pyjamas party?

It's been rather quiet around these parts, so I'm going to post the first of two faction previews. This time it's the Nationalists. The Republic will be posted closer towards release.

España Nacionalista
    Nationalist Spain

Description:
    Us Spaniards have always been a proud, devout people. We have always given everything for our honor and the glory of God. These values are what made Spain a great empire that ruled half the world! Yet now it appears that our Fatherland has fallen far from glory. This decline has been accelerated rapidly by the atheistic Bolsheviks who now godlessly rule our country. Something must be done to return Spain to its rightful imperial power – these Reds, God willing, must be stopped. Order has to be restored in these chaotic times.

Ever since the Napoleonic Wars, Spain has been deeply troubled. Liberal ideas were forced upon the Spanish people by the invading French. Some fools even liked this! Foreigners began to undermine our national integrity, bringing with them unholy organizations like the Free Masons to spread subversive ideas. They conspired to separate Spain from her colonies and inspire revolutions overseas. Since then, our empire has been pulled apart piece by piece, year by year, by all the powers of Europe and America, all as they lament: Spain is the sick man of Europe! Yet they say this as they destroy Spain! From within, our country has been pulled apart by liberals since the 1820’s. Internal wars between these liberals and the Carlists have brought shame to Spain and further caused our nation to decline. In the end, the United States would take away our last important colonies in the Caribbean and the Pacific. Now all is left is Morocco – the final remaining part of a great empire.

Matters have only worsened. King Alfonso XVIII was overthrown by the Republicans, as if he was the cause for the economic problems of Spain forced upon us by the Depression created by America and Europe. Since then the new Republic, ruled by first liberals, and then by communists and anarchists, have tried destroying all of Spain’s proud ancient institutions. The Catholic Church’s power has been greatly reduced, as if in a bid to deprive the men of Spain God. Some atheist anarchists have begun to use this as a license to destroy and sack churches and cathedrals across Spain! The land owned by the aristocracy is being taken away to be given to undeserving commoners. All these matters worsened as Bolshevism tightened its grip over poor Spain. Chaos has ensued, and terrorism and assassinations have occurred across Spain. Something had to be done.

A plan was put in place by our conservative men in the military and various militia groups have also pledged themselves to our cause. On July 17 of 1936, military installations loyal to our Nationalist cause across all of Spain rose up, with the greatest success occurring in Morocco, Navarre, Sevilla and Galicia. The Army of Africa, Spain’s best military force supplied with the most disciplined Moroccan Regulares and Spanish Legionaries, has been flown to Sevilla thanks to the help of our Italian and German brethren. We are prepared to take all of Spain by force.

It should be worth noting, however, that our Nationalist position is very precarious. Currently our loyal forces are large and disciplined but spread out across Spain. Our forces need to quickly take Republican ground and converge on Madrid. Our best chances will occur when all our armies combine into one single force to strike down the Republicans. We have the advantage – our soldiers are true men, disciplined and strong. What does the Republic have? All they have are a bunch of disorganized rabbles called militias! God willing, we will return our country to glory in a second Reconquista! Viva Espana!

Infantry:

Militia - Milicia:

Militia were quite common during the Spanish Civil War and were comprised of individuals given a weapon, perhaps a basic uniform, and little training. Militia bands were often formed from a variety of groups ranging including local communities, youth groups, political parties and even trade unions. The most common militia utilized by the Nationalists were created by the Carlist and Falangist Parties.

Falangist Militia - Milicia Falangista

The Falange Party (FET-JONS) would be elevated to the position as the leading political party of the Nationalist rebellion in Spain by Francisco Franco. The Falange (or Phalanx) was founded in support of fascism, and it took many aspects from Benito Mussolini's fascism in Italy. The party was founded by Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, the son of the former autocratic Prime Minister of Spain Miguel Primo de Rivera who reigned in the 1920's. The Falange contributed a large amount of militia and professional soldiers to the Nationalist Army.

Blackshirt Militia - Milizia Camicie Nere

Benito Mussolini of Italy was a hugely enthusiastic supporter of the Nationalist movement in Spain and was very quick to send support to help the rebels. He provided the largest foreign contribution to the war in the form of sending volunteers to go fight in Spain. Many of these volunteers were members of the Blackshirts, Mussolini's political "muscle." Of course, many of these Blackshirts volunteers he sent were poorly trained and poorly armed and were little more than militia.

Civil Guard - Guardia Civil

The Civil Guard was founded as Spain's national police force in 1844 with the original intent of cutting down on banditry and guerrillas in the Spanish countryside. Over time the Guard gained a reputation for brutality that made it disliked by many of the people of Spain and had a close connection with the military. During the Spanish Civil War, the Guard was split between the Nationalists and the Republic, but is most often associated with assisting the rebellion although it did play a significant part in assisting the Catalan anarchists in Barcelona and their revolution against the militarists there.

Italian Volunteer Infantry - Fanteria de Corpo Truppe Volontarie

Italy sent a massive amount of manpower to fight for the Nationalists. Additionally they sent tanks, planes and weapons as well. The Corp of Volunteer Troops represented a large and continuous contribution to the Nationalist war effort through Italy. Although their combat capability is often debated, no doubt did the CTV provide a greatly appreciated help in contributing to the Nationalist victory in 1939.

Infantry - Infanteria

The Spanish Civil War initially started as an coup d'etat in the army. In particular the Spanish army was primarily led by an officer class that was staunchly conservative. Military bases were supposed to rise up across Spain on a synchronized date. Some of these uprisings, as like what happened in Morocco and Navarre, were very successful. Others were suppressed almost immediately by Republican militias. Some other rebellions finally remained isolated and under siege for a considerable time before being relieved, like in Toledo and famous defense of the Alcazar by Nationalist rebels.

Carlist Requetes

The Carlist Party was one of the most significant supporters of the Nationalist revolt. The Carlist Party was first formed after a royal succession dispute upon the death of King Fernando VII whether to pass the crown to Fernando's brother Carlos or his daughter Isabella. Isabella was crowned queen of Spain and the Carlists would wage three wars against the Spanish government prior to the Civil War of 1936. The Carlists contributed a large amount of troops, most of whom were from the political party's base in Navarre. They were considered extremely brave troops and worn a Sacred Heart pin over their left breast in the belief it would protect them against bullets. Additionally, due to Carlists strongly Catholic nature, chaplains and priests accompanied Requetes on the battlefield and often risked their lives to grant dying soldiers their Last Rites.

SMG Infantry - Infanteria de Choque

The submachinegun was first used in World War I, and in the Spanish Civil War it would continue to be employed by both sides in certain numbers. They were mostly given to officers, NCOs and some assault troops. The most commonly used SMGs by the Nationalists were the German-manufactured MP-28 and the MP-35. The bolt-action rifle remained the primary weapon used in the war.

Moroccan Regulares - Fuerzas Regulares Indigenas

Some of Spain's best troops were the Regulares, who were Berber Moroccans that served with the Spanish Army. They were well-trained, disciplined and had an excellent soldierly instinct. They also had a reputation for brutality. Formed in 1911, these soldiers proved their loyalty to Spain in the Rif War where they proved themselves some of Spain's most useful soldiers against the rebellious Rif tribes. Francisco Franco's first military command was over a group of Regulares where he proved his talents as a military leader. They would again come in useful against in the Spanish Civil War when they joined the rebellion in Morocco with the rest of the Army of Africa. In the countryside of Spain they were great fighters, but their unfamiliarity with cities made them experience difficulties when fighting in urban environments.

Spanish Foreign Legion - El Tercio

The Spanish Foreign Legion was first founded by Jose Millan Astray, a flamboyant Spanish military officer with an extremely histrionic personality. Francisco Franco was the second-in-command of the force. The Legion was first created during the Rif War and was based on France's own Foreign Legion when Spain needed an elite corps of soldiers that were absolutely dedicated to the soldier's lifestyle. The Legion would be comprised primarily of a mix of Spaniards and those of Spanish descent from Latin America. At the start of the Spanish Civil War it was part of the Army of Africa and was one of the leading forces of the uprising. The Spanish Legion during the Civil War would attract volunteers from places like Ireland, Portugal and other strongly Catholic countries to fight for the Nationalists.

Combat Engineers - Gastadores

Snipers:

Cavalry:

Civil Guard Cavalry:

Rifle Cavalry - Caballeria

The Spanish Army didn't participate in World War I, but it did learn lessons from that war. After learning about how disastrously cavalry fared in that war, the Spanish military began reforming its cavalry. The hussars, dragoons, lancers and cazadores that comprised the Spanish cavalry before became standardized with each other, abandoning the lance and increasing focus on training with the carbine rifle. Cavalry also changed their role to become serve as scouts, raiders and mounted infantry. This is the purpose they served primarily on both sides during the Spanish Civil War and proved effective at crossing the plains of Spain. However, there was one instance in the Spanish Civil War where Nationalist cavalry was used for its traditional role. At the Battle of Alfambra, near Teruel, the Nationalists launched a massive cavalry charge against Republic positions in the style of cold steel. The tactic was a success and the Republicans were absolutely routed from their position, paving the way for the Nationalists to seize the city of Teruel and thus gain and upper hand on the Aragon front.

Moroccan Cavalry - Caballeria Moroqui

Last edited by EmperorBatman999; July 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM.

Do you want to add the volunteers (bandera Jeanne d'Arc: french; irish brigade and viriatos: portuguese) for the nationalist?

He already has the viriatos

Quote Originally Posted by jules napoléon khan View Post
    Do you want to add the volunteers (bandera Jeanne d'Arc: french; irish brigade and viriatos: portuguese) for the nationalist?
    The problem with those is that the Irish Legion really didn't serve an important role and they got shot at by their own side once and it was decided that they should all just join the Spanish Legion. The Viriatos never came into being because pro-Republican incidents in Portugal and those men interested in joining the Viriatos were directed to the Nationalist militias and the Legion. And the Joan D'Arc Company, I can't find many things on them and if I recall they were only a small group.

However, the Portuguese Army uses Viriatos Legion uniforms because I can't find anything else for the Portuguese military in the 1930s.

We should expect a release before august. though it is ok

duerker von eden's Avatar Tiro

honestly idc if it takes a year to make its a good idea with al the AC and armor.

Civis

looking forward for this!!!whats the current status?

Tiro

This is stupid question, but when will approsimately realese date this addon/mod?

I'm sure EB will share once he knows where he wants to cut off work for the first release and when he's confident enough in his estimate to make it public.

Laetus

Here are some representations of the Legion.
    Legionnaires from 1937 and 1940

Im Spaniard and i love this mod, if you need help to find something, just tell me
    My
    great-grandfather was a "Guardia de Asalto" and he figth in the battle of Madrid!
    ¡No Pasarán! Thanks to all the volunteers from other countries who came to fight in Spain to help the Republic to finish against fascism ¡Thanks!

Hope to see some news of your mod soon EB ;-)

I'm eager to try it and quite impressed by what you already did.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40