Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

Default Re: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
    And Belchite, The Ebro offensive, Brunete, Gandesa, Teruel......I am SO looking forward to this being ready to play!
    And Bilbao! Wow I am so pumped for this. I need to reinstall napoleon..

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
    Yes, the British and French were in the Non Intervention pact, which ignored the blatant German and Italian support for the Nationalists. Only Russia and Mexico were supportive of the Republic,
    The French did initially send some fighters and bombers at a cost to the republican government, which had large gold reserves in the outbreak of the war.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by aqualord123 View Post
    The French did initially send some fighters and bombers at a cost to the republican government, which had large gold reserves in the outbreak of the war.
    Most of that gold went to the USSR though (who in my opinion stole it more than anything else). They I believe were also part of the non-intervention committee, but that didn't stop them. They did contribute rifles, planes, and tanks to the Republican cause though. We plan on making Soviet Polikarpov I-16 to be the Republican airplane model and the infamous Messerschmidt 109 used by the Condor Legion for the Nationalists. B-Dizl is also working on those as well.

Frank Ryan's Avatar Foederatus

Giving me a bit of a flashback - I actually was arrested by the Guardia Civil in the 80s....

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    A little mini-update for you all.

Can you guess who these guys are?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wow... plane models? very impressive

We plan on making Soviet Polikarpov I-16 to be the Republican airplane model and the infamous Messerschmidt 109 used by the Condor Legion for the Nationalists. B-Dizl is also working on those as well.
    Lots of info on Republican aircraft here:

http://adar.es/index/index.php?optio...d=14&Itemid=28

¡Viva la República! ¡Viva España!

Well. Any chance you could make a submod that gave Spain these uniforms instead of what they have in the Great War mod? ;D

I personally think it would be nice with some berets on them soldiers. But I understand if the thought never struck your minds before, or if it is unavailable for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LasseLarsson View Post
    I personally think it would be nice with some berets on them soldiers. But I understand if the thought never struck your minds before, or if it is unavailable for some reason.
    There is a beret model in the pipeline. I agree though. Basque soldiers and Requetes without their berets is just wrong!

There is a beret model in the pipeline. I agree though. Basque soldiers and Requetes without their berets is just wrong!
    That is mighty fine of ya to take up this task to remake the Spanish Civil war in game edition I really appreciate it I do.

Just, did the republicans have regular uniforms for their guerilla fighters and army etc?

Hi!
    I hope this is going well…
    I must say I was sometime out from TWCenter, but the WWI mod for NTW (than I bought but almost didn’t play) made me come here again.
    A mod for the Spanish Civil War (SCW) it would be most interesting although I have some doubts if the game engine will allow it efficiently (I am currently installing WWI. If it works for WWI it can work for SCW).
    I am a “fan” of the SCW Wargames since I was a young kid and played some table wargames. More recently in Junior General I made some Paper Soldiers for it:
    http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.p...t/early20th#48
    (there are some good paper soldier of other authors there) You can see it for references for units, uniforms, colors, headgear and armament. There are there some minor mistakes.

As for the posts that I read in this thread, and the excellent work that I saw, I would like to make some comments that I hope can be useful:

• It was stated that the Condor Legion had 60.000 men. Most of the historical sources don’t go for more than 16.000, especially from the Luftwaffe (air and ground personnel), tank drivers and mechanics, and anti air gun crews. In my opinion a Condor Legion infantry unit would not make much sense. Anti tank, tanks and Anti Air units should be enough.
    • I am pretty found of the Morocan Regulares. There were infantry, cavalry and artillery units. Also there was also a less trained organization with Spanish officers; the Mehalla jalifiana (similar to the French Moroccan Goumier).
    • Although I was glad to see the unit uniforms I noticed the lack of berets and especially of the “gorillo/isabelino” (a service cap) and to much use of the peaked cap. Also the cap used by the Guardia Civil seems more a bicorn used by the Italian Carabinieri than a “tricorn” used by the Spanish Civil Guard. The Tercio de Extranjeros/Foreign Legion used mostly the “gorillo” so its odd to see them with a kind of peaked cap. In the previous Riff War they used the “chambergo” (a kind of “cowboy” hat) but is was been replaced by the “isabelino” that was a trademark by the time. Btw the previous mentioned Irish fought as a Bandera (battalion) in the Foreign Legion.
    • In my opinion I would go for a French/British faction. It could have a strange effect in the game. It would be better to make those areas of difficult access

If you are still looking for units I have some suggestions (I hope I will not repeat from the already existent:

Republicans:
    • Anarchist militias;
    • Workers Militia (can be separated according the party: POUM/CNT…)
    • Catalans militias;
    • Basque militias (Gudaris);
    • International Brigades (their uniformity was a chaos, it had much to do with their country origins)
    • National Republican Guard (a merger of the Civil guards, Carabineros and Assault Guard that maintained their fidelity with the Republic)
    • Assault Guard
    • Popular Army units (after the reform)
    • Mossos d'esquadra (Catalan Police)

Nationalists
    • Mehalla Jalifiana (a Moroccan militia);
    • Requetes/Carlist militias (specially from Navarra, with red beret)
    • Falange militias (Blueshirts and usually black beret, latter in the war with the merger with the Carlists they begun to use formally a red beret)
    • CTV (Corps of Volunter Troops – Italian. It included the Blackshirt militas, and regular army. Usually with the French Adrian Helmet, later with the Italian helmets M33 and M34. Also can be used other headgear for the CCNN (blackshirts)
    • Spanish Army units
    • Guardia Civil (Gendarmerie)
    • Carabineros (Border Guard)
    • The elite troops would be the Tercio de Extranjeros and the Regulares

There could even be some exotic units, with less or none historical relevance:
    • Toledo Cadets (the was almost no cadets in Toledo, by the time of the siege);
    • Seville Mounted Police.

I hope this can be useful… and to se the mod soon…
    By now the download of the WWI mod must be complete!
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.

Just, did the republicans have regular uniforms for their guerilla fighters and army etc?

Sorry for the double post... but yes... they had a regular army: the Popular Army.
    I tried to recreate it on Paper soldiers:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.p...WarPopularArmy
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.

The Republic had a mismatch of uniforms and was quite hastily assembled. They pretty much used whatever they could get their hands - old Spanish army gear, French shipments from early in the war, Soviet supplies and whatever else the Republic could purchase. It's actually rather hard to find anything to go on for many of the units. The Republic even had similar problems finding rifles of similar caliber to equip their soldiers with!

Tulius Hostilius, thank you for the support! I'll take a look at these pictures you've posted, they're quite interesting.

As far as berets, peaked caps and other headgear, we are very aware that they don't match sources. It's very frustrating. I haven't even designed the Carlist Requetes unit yet because I can't get the beret models for them yet. We're waiting on modellers to make the hats. So far we had to substitute and make do - almost like the Second Republic really. We have a beret model in the works, and the Gorillo is certainly on the list and I hope that B-Dizl or Vengur may take those up soon. The beret is nearly done but still needs to be converted into a mesh compatible with NTW.

I see, well thank you for the reply.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Heres the spanish cap, its much more difficult to make than it looks. Im not sure i like it, waht do you guys think?

Carlist Requetes (Major WIP)

Note that the hat will be changed to a proper beret later.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Heres the spanish cap, its much more difficult to make than it looks. Im not sure i like it, waht do you guys think?

It is at least something.

The Republic had a mismatch of uniforms and was quite hastily assembled. They pretty much used whatever they could get their hands - old Spanish army gear, French shipments from early in the war, Soviet supplies and whatever else the Republic could purchase. It's actually rather hard to find anything to go on for many of the units. The Republic even had similar problems finding rifles of similar caliber to equip their soldiers with!
    They had major problems with ammunition as well - so many different weapons, different calibre bullets, caused major problems in some of the most important battles, especially to the machine gunners.

Got a few more screenshots for all of you - this time depicting the Barcelona Revolution. To the barricades!

Here come the Fascists!

Police battle...

Aftermath: