Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Post suggestions here

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Default Post suggestions here

A thread to post what you want to see added to the mod in future.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Default Re: Post suggestions here

The only thing i would like to see besides bug fixes is a new look on the general. Cause in my opinion that armor just seem's so big. In the paintings of 17 century commanders i have never seen that they carried that sort of armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda View Post
    The only thing i would like to see besides bug fixes is a new look on the general. Cause in my opinion that armor just seem's so big. In the paintings of 17 century commanders i have never seen that they carried that sort of armor.
    It is based on an ebook I have the English Civil War and images and paintings of Spanish and Dutch generals in the first half of the century. Also in the Osprey book "Imperial Armies of the 30 yrs war" Wallenstein is seen wearing all that armour but without a hat. In contrast Swedish generals wore leather buffcoats.

For example in the painting of "The Surrender of Breda":

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also see attached painting below of heavily armoured Dutch general.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails loadscreen.jpg  
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; March 19, 2014 at 04:04 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

I am just... gonna ask the same thing for the 76 millionth time, hoping desperately to understand. Why are the musket rests at the right hand and not at the left?

Because I have seen images of Danish and Spanish soldiers with them in the right hand. See Spanish example below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lgc051.jpg  
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; March 19, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Your logic destroyed my nerve system.

Quote Originally Posted by ComnenusTheOne View Post
    I am just... gonna ask the same thing for the 76 millionth time, hoping desperately to understand. Why are the musket rests at the right hand and not at the left?
    Possibly modding limitation? i'm not sure though.

Aside from the given problems with models that should be fixed soon, and other given features that are to follow such as portraits, techs, unit cards, startpos, traits, ancillaries, unlocked factions, new colonies etc - I can't think of much that is lacking and isn't planned sometimes in the future, and I know that you will complement the lacking rosters eventually. Long term I would definitely like to see Ukraine, or rather, Cossacks Hetmanate, making it a vassal of Poland somehow since historically it was not independent before 1648, but I believe it should be included as Cossacks were an incredibly distinct and unique people, and a closest thing to a warrior society in 17th century Europe, and this century was their time to shine. There's a plethora of evidence and records of them to have them well represented, and to make their rosters rich. For those reasons I believe they deserve a spotlight. There is an Ukraine mod from Hetmanat TW that could provide some excellent late units. Some more attention could be given to Crimean Khanate also.

Long term it would also be neat to see some new sword and lance models replacing the vanilla ones, Polish hussars having longer lances and such, but this isn't a big deal.

For something that could be added short term, could you perhaps add more loading screens, such as the painting of the Dutch general you just linked? Some era appropriate quotes would be neat too. New music would be nice also.

Another thing I would like to see is the inclusion of Adrian's troops, I'm just dying to see them in the mod, not only because they have so far had no other chance to be enjoyed by the community, but because they focus EXACTLY on rosters where Colonialism is lacking. I would like to see his zweihanders in particular, as that would mean a whole new type of infantry added to the game, if only aesthetically. I know it's not up to the team but Adrian also, but I'm rooting for this.

Still, the beautiful thing about this mod is that nothing is fundamentally wrong with it, and frankly few huge overhauls can boast with this. Just keep expanding and fattening up the mod, and it's going to be the ultimate pike & shotte experience, if it is not already.
    Last edited by YourStepDad; March 19, 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Not an actual bug but a balance oddity that may need to be checked - arquebusiers, and even other line infantry hold their own against, and even rout - all kinds of pikemen, even heavily armored ones. Arquebusiers especially - they most certainly win a melee with armored pikemen.

Likewise, could you make the musketeers that don't have a bayonet fight with their sword instead when in melee?

According to Osprey, the poor quality of swords was one reason why the musket butt was often used as a melee weapon by musketeers in the 30 yrs war at least. I will continue to research the issue but I want to be historical. You also need to remember that heavy armour historically increased fatigue especially in hot weather.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by YourStepDad View Post
    Not an actual bug but a balance oddity that may need to be checked - arquebusiers, and even other line infantry hold their own against, and even rout - all kinds of pikemen, even heavily armored ones. Arquebusiers especially - they most certainly win a melee with armored pikemen.
    Pikemen were used to repel cavalry because the rate of fire from arquebuses was too slow. Arquebuses were more effective against pikemen because they were slow moving and densely packed together. Their armour also isn't bullet proof, especially at close range.

According to Osprey at the start of the 30 years war the ratio of pikemen to arquebuses was 1:1, during the war it changed to 1:2, and by the end it was 1:4 (a fifth of the infantry was pikemen). Also Curissasers went from being fully armoured to only wearing a cuirasse because their armour couldn't stop arquebuses bullets (but could stop swords when fighting at close range).
    Morning Sun (adds Korea and China to the Shogun 2 map)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...28-Morning-Sun

Expanded Japan mod (97 new regions and 101 new factions)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ew-factions%29

How to split a region in TWS2
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...split-a-region

Eras Total Conquest 2.3 (12 campaigns from 970-1547)

I will upload a custom startpos later today to make the grand campaign start in 1600 and give correct starting ruler names/ages for playable factions.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Does armor have any effect on missiles? Have you been able to do anything about that? Also, If you can't, I have a suggestion. Use a script to cause muskets to misfire more frequently when firing on armored foes. Or if you can introduce a variable which reduces the accuracy when firing upon armored targets. I don't know how variables work and there I think are more in SHogun II than Empire.

Will look into it but I don't know how to do scripts. HusserITW probably does but I think he's busy with the Gettysburg game.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    According to Osprey, the poor quality of swords was one reason why the musket butt was often used as a melee weapon by musketeers in the 30 yrs war at least. I will continue to research the issue but I want to be historical. You also need to remember that heavy armour historically increased fatigue especially in hot weather.
    I have also found this in other sources - musket butts were indeed commonly used in mêlées. However, I can't really see anything that can be said in defense of lightly or unarmoured musketeers charging a pikewall with a tercio of burly, armoured pikemen behind it, and beating them back

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie Pie View Post
    I have also found this in other sources - musket butts were indeed commonly used in mêlées. However, I can't really see anything that can be said in defense of lightly or unarmoured musketeers charging a pikewall with a tercio of burly, armoured pikemen behind it, and beating them back
    Exactly. I know the musket butts were used but ingame you can see stabbing animations being used by musketeers when they do not have a bayonet at all. Looks silly at times, so I think a sword would be a better alternative, at least for musketeers who wield a fork, making melee look even more odd. But again, no biggie.

What is a biggie though is the fact the campaign quite unplayable due to the astonishingly passive (vanilla) AI. This mod definitely needs a custom AI for the campaign, CAI that is.

When it comes to the battle AI, all is serviceable but the pikemen. Pikemen are aggressive and move forward, but it takes them ages to finally decide and engage a troop of any kind in melee head on. They are too distracted by cavalry and attempt a futile chase every time cavalry is near, instead of engaging musketeers that are two steps away and a sure win. This makes the already slow moving pikes very exploitable.
    Last edited by YourStepDad; March 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Just a question when do you think that you will be able to release faction textures to the generic line infantry since most are the same green ones (i have played Prussia and sweden)?

Maybe in a week or two as part of some more significant changes (especially more Russian units). Otto Flick(qwert) has sent me some more Russian unit models/textures and sources which seem based on the Dominus Maris Baltici mod for Medieval II TW and I am happy report they are generally going well. Also some units from the moddb.com previews that we had to leave out in the Beta will be included such as the Zhilcy (Tsars guard).

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Great news! Loving the mod so far!

Early Russian cavalry will be divided into 3 main classes, treflecting the feudal nature of the early Russian military:

Ratniki - feudal light cavalry. Leather 'armour'.

Pomiestnaya Konnitsa - medium cavalry armoured with bow and sabre. Recruited from small landholders. Mail armour.

Znat - heavy cavalry. Recruited from the wealthiest boyars (nobles). Armed with sabre and bow and carrying a shield. Plate and mail armour.

Otto flick(qwert) has sent me models/textures I am using for the for the second 2.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; March 26, 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast