Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Download and Installation - Crashfix added (19/12/2014)

Default Re: Download and Installation - Crashfix added (19/12/2014)

A couple of other 'issues' sprang to mind as i was thinking last night..

1. If i remember correctly, there was an issue with Cannons and grape shot....the grape shot had the same range as ball....which turned it into utter game winner.

2. There are a number of units (especially in the Ottoman / eastern) rosters which have Skirmishers with a range of 170......given there were no super muskets or rifles to my knowledge in this period, its an unfair and unrealistic unit to have included. Im not convinced Skirmishing happened at this period, but indeed if you kept them in a an 'irregular' guerilla type units, they should at least have the same range / accuracy as everyone else, albeit with there ability to hide and skirmish.

Thanks, and good work.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher886 View Post
    A couple of other 'issues' sprang to mind as i was thinking last night..

1. If i remember correctly, there was an issue with Cannons and grape shot....the grape shot had the same range as ball....which turned it into utter game winner.

2. There are a number of units (especially in the Ottoman / eastern) rosters which have Skirmishers with a range of 170......given there were no super muskets or rifles to my knowledge in this period, its an unfair and unrealistic unit to have included. Im not convinced Skirmishing happened at this period, but indeed if you kept them in a an 'irregular' guerilla type units, they should at least have the same range / accuracy as everyone else, albeit with there ability to hide and skirmish.

Thanks, and good work.
    We didn't mod the non-European factions in the last release but there will be changes in the forthcoming release.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Good to hear, all sounds very promising, any idea on the ETA?

Because of work I can't make any promises on the date. But I may upload an interim Beta release to tide you over until a more substantial one.

Someone said it has been March since the last update but as the title of this thread shows, that is not the case.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

An interim beta would be a great idea. Would give us something to chew on for a while until you have the more finite update.

One more thing i thought off.....one of the most disappointing and annoying parts of ETW was its SINGLE city of Paris to represent France, one of if not 'the' great power at the period!, as we know the AI isn't the best at defending its settlements and Paris is always taken shortly leaving the Major faction of France gone.....is it at all possible to break up France into a 4 Provinces of more even??

Not possible to break up existing provinces.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Thats a real shame, i know the MTW2 map can be modded and thought maybe the same for ETW.....only other solution i could think off is a permanent 'high-tier' full garrison stationed in Paris, so it can be taken but not so easily. The game just does'nt seem right with traditional Major players of the time gone in 60 seconds!. You see, france (Paris) is normally taken by the dutch or a German faction rather quickly, but having provinces in the New world means it tends to survive a while and sometimes re-takes Paris, with the correct Start positions, it will no longer start with New world provinces, thus when Paris is taken, it will fall.

A question: Your mention of uploading an interim beta in the coming weeks has inspired me to re-load ETW after a short R2 break.....will the coming beta be in Patch form? as i might download your mod to date and get going on it, but would rather wait if im going to need to re-install it form the off again..because of (slow internet) , however if it will come in patch form then clearly i can just update accordingly.

Thanks.

Edit: Just a thought, could you not add more settlements / towns to a single province thus if you added another 2 to France, it would require all 3 to be taken before the province fell?
    Last edited by Poacher886; March 24, 2015 at 12:57 PM.

The multiple settlements proposal you make is also not possible.

I will include the user script file next time so you will just need to start Steam as normal to play the mod.

I'm also considering trying to make (at least non-Spanish) colonial generals infantry units to reflect the lack of cavalry in the 17th century Americas.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; March 24, 2015 at 09:11 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Hi, I wanted to try this very promissing looking mod but I was not bale to run it properly. I have downloaded the mod followed the instruction closely but the campaign is always crashing when loading regardless of which of the awailable startpos files I am using while in custom battles only the vanila ETW units are available for me.

If your only getting the vanilla units then you are not following the instructions properly. Most likely that you are not running the new.pack file.

In a couple of days I will be uploading a beta for the next version.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

I did run the new pack file. Or at least I think so as this is the first time I have used the mod manager. So I am going to wait for the new version anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    If your only getting the vanilla units then you are not following the instructions properly. Most likely that you are not running the new.pack file.

In a couple of days I will be uploading a beta for the next version.

Fantastic news...looking forward to this as are many im sure. Please dont forget to add a changelog with it so we know the additions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    I did run the new pack file. Or at least I think so as this is the first time I have used the mod manager. So I am going to wait for the new version anyway
    There is an explanation for how to run the mod without Modmanager too on the stickie thread.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Can we expect the new update tomorrow?, i was planning my weekend around it if we are..

Sometime in the next week subject to testing.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Sometime in the next week subject to testing.

Ok, fair enough, hoping its before the Friday, so i can get it set up for the same.

My main wishes for the latest to include are..in no particular order:

1. All factions (or at least the majority to have 17th century units.
    2. No 18th century units in the game.
    3. Bigger faction choice to include minors.
    4. Correct start positions
    5. Upkeep / cost rebalanced
    6. Unit cards to represent the units available.
    7. Trading values to be 'worth while' ( cant remember if it was this mod or another that reduced the trading values making it nearly pointless when the cost of ships was taken into account.
    8. Matchlock musket sounds or close to. And a reasonable effective range...previously were to underpowered in my opinion, lets face it, the only real difference between these and later 18th century muskets is the loading mechanism.
    9. CAI / BAI would be nice, but sub-mods can suffice at present.

Looking forward to this..Thanks

Again the cai/bai will be improved in the next release. You are incorrect on the musket range.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Again the cai/bai will be improved in the next release. You are incorrect on the musket range.
    Great to hear about the CAI / BAI, But disagree concerning the effective range of the Matchlock being inferior to the smooth-ball Musket of the 18th Century. The Matchlock had an enormous barrel and carried to my memory a much heavier ball fired through a smooth bore...the later Muskets of the 18th Century also fired through smooth bore, but used a lighter projectile, they were however lighter, smaller and compact (in comparison), but there main advantage being the loading mechanism being far more efficient and indeed less issues in the rain.

Im not sure of the powder charge typically used for each, but the heavier load of the Matchlock should provide more Kinetic energy as displayed below.

Flintlock*Carbine - 647
    Flintlock*Musket Brown Bess (1722) -1727
    Flintlock*Baker Rifle (1800) - 627
    Flintlock American long rifles - 1097
    Flintlock Breech Ferguson rifle - 559
    Flintlock*Blunderbuss - 400
    matchlock pistol - 157
    Matchlock Arquebus - 663
    Matchlock Petronel - 361
    Matchlock Full Musket - 1,943
    Matchlock Half-Musket - 1,542
    Matchlock Caliver - 774
    Snaplock Pistol - 129
    Snaplock Carbine - 647
    Snaplock Full Musket - 1,943
    Snaplock Half Musket - 1,542
    Wheellock Puffer - 129
    Wheellock Carbine - 647
    Wheellock Full Musket - 1,943
    Wheellock Half-Musket - 1,542

Notice the energy difference between the classic Brown bess and the Matchlock full Musket!, the earlier Matchlock as expected carries greater energy. This would (though there is little in it) mean the Matchlock has a GREATER effective range than the later Brown bess. Also (being a shooter i have a keen interest in ballistics), mean the Kinetic energy downrange would be greater....thus you would rather be hit by ball from the Brown bess at 125yds than the Matchlock.

However due to the unwieldy size of the Matchlock and indeed the ballistics carried from a heavier shot, the Matchlock would suffer worse accuracy at range. That said, when fired en-masse, which of course was the norm, i would still expect a volley @ 100m to be devastating despite a few flyers.

Thanks for info. Can you provide a source/link for it?

Colonialism 1600 AD blog