Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rome II Total Realism : Previews

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Rome II Total Realism : Previews

Originally posted by Jam here.

Because this has already appeared in our Facebook page, there is no point delaying it. I would like to mention that this is still work in progress and lots of things might change when mod is finally released. Warscape engine is very different from engine used for RTW, therefore all mods for Rome 2 require completely different approach to the same topic. Let me divide this preview into several parts:

Weapons

TWR2 uses different weapons system than previous Warscape games, in some areas it allows you to do things that were previously impossible. It also eliminates previous balancing, where weapons were not rated by effectivity but by the chance to hit/kill. As you know CA implemented weapon damage and hitpoints, besides the melee attack (or hit chance) and melee defense (parry chance). Also weapons now have two different damage types, normal damage and AP damage which practically ignores all armor. Anyway, there are also additional bonuses available, which can further specialize weapons (armor piercing,armor penetrating, shield piercing)To properly model weapons used in this era, we have looked at their usage and tactics. Where in TWR2 all swords were practically the same, only differentiating by damage values, in R2TR things are a bit different. We have created clear distinctive differences between slashing and thrusting swords.

Slashing swords as you all know required a lot of strength to deliver lethal damage, typical sword slash produced a lot of kinetic energy, which means that even if armor managed to deflect/stop such hit, there will be still noticeable blunt force trauma dealt with every hit. As noticed thorough our history by many, slashing and cutting was not considered as the most lethal type of attack, and it was definitely not the most effective one considering amount of energy soldier hadto spend to kill his enemy. This reflects into only moderate normal damage dealt by all slashing weapons. From tactical perspective, longswords due to its length would provide soldiers with a bit more standoff against their opponents using the shorter swords, therefore these swords would also guarantee small defense bonus.

Swords like Kopis/Falcata are also treated as slashing, yet they deal a bit more normal damage due to their shape, they also deal less trauma damage due to less weight. Also, their length (65cm) means they get minimal defense bonus.

Thrusting swords are completely different. Thrusting attack is the most lethal type of attack you can do to human body, and you don't even need too much strength to stab deep enough to be very lethal. Thrusting attacks are very efficient, no surprise Romans preferred them over slashing attacks. Yet, because these swords were usually thrusted underarm, their kinetic energy was relatively low (approximately half what is seen with slashing swords), therefore they don't produce significant blunt force trauma. (you need about 100 joules to fracture bones). Anyway because of their speed and energy effectivity, they are able to land several attacks in time soldier with longsword would score one hit. yet, they have to rely on their shields for defense, as shortswords don't provide that much of a defense bonus (even though difference is not big, as Gladius used by Republican Legions was not that much shorter from Celtic Longsword (75cm vs 85cm). Yet, there is another advantage shorter thrusting gladius have. It was much easier to manipulate with it even in confined space, where legionaries could use it to thrust into unprotected areas like armpit, femoral artery, groins etc. because of this, all thrusting shortswords get special melee defense bypass (enemy melee defense is reduced against them) which gives Romans advantage when fighting unarmored enemies.

Blunt weapons and Axes are modeled to rely more on blunt force trauma, but they are also usually shorter, which means they have to rely on their other defenses to keep enemy at bay. Anyway due to high blunt force trauma, they are ideal to deal with heavily armored enemies. Axes usually have higher normal damage, and they also have shield breaking ability, but same as clubs lack in defensive ability,therefore these units are better to be used as flanking force than using them for head on charges, even though their charge is probably the highest of all melee weapons, their lack of defense might be quite limiting. yet charging into enemy flank or rear, they can produce a huge carnage.

There will be several different spears in R2TR, based on different doctrine and tactics. First, you can completely forget what you know about spears from games. Spear was always considered to be the most effective infantry weapon, Heavy thrusting spears equipped with sauroter typically used by hoplites will be the most destructive spears. They will be heavy hitter with high damage, high charge and good melee defense due to its standoff length. Yet, these spears will not allow users to use any ranged weapons at the same time. Medium Spears will be shorter, have slightly lower stats than heavy spears, typically representing heavier spears used by Barbarians. Light spears (greek Lonchae), will be typical spears used by majority of spearmen, who can also hurl javelins. Greek Thureophoroi or Carthaginian Lonchophoroi and variety Celtic and Germanic spearmen units will use them. Light spears will be also used by practically all melee cavalry units.

Pikes are a bit different from this. They do share certain characteristics, anyway due to the way how pikes are implemented (sharing stats with swords) we had to improvise. Pikes only get their real bonuses with Pike Wall ability activated, if it is not activated, soldiers are supposed to use swords and their stats reflect that. Pike as it is, gives great standoff from enemy, and medium damage from thrusting (while both hands are used, thrusting speed is much slower, which results in only medium damage dealt by pike) Yet its strong point is not in killing everything in front of them, but by ability to fix the enemy so others could flank it and destroy it (more about this later)

Ranged Weapons

Ranged weapons damage depends on several factors. Normal damage depends on Kinetic energy dealt, while AP(trauma) damage is based on projectile momentum.All ranged weapons have several effects when they hit the enemy.Being hit by ranged weapons reduced movement of the unit, but increases the shield deflect chance due to the fact soldiers are expecting second salvo so they try to rise shields the most effective way. obvious is the morale drop for being hit, reduced charge is another symptom. Javelins can also temporarily reduce shield defense of enemy unit.

Javelins were thoroughly reworked as well. There are several different types available. Light javelins (200-250g) are usually used by cavalry, doesn't have too much of a punch, but due to its size, cavalry can carry more of them, they are easier to use from saddle and quicker to release. yet their damage while not that high, is still higher than from any bow in the game.Medium javelins (400-600g) have much more power. these light javelins were used with ankyle, which greatly increased their release speed, giving them more kinetic energy and range. There are several different types of Heavy Javelins. Barbarians use heavy wooden javelins similar to spears (usually 800-900g heavy) thrown before charge. their weight gave them good power, yet they lack the ankyle therefore their terminal effectivity is somewhere quite close to normal javelins. Iberians have special Iron javelin called Solifferum. This small profile heavy javelin was capable to penetrate shields with ease, yet due to its weight it has limited range similar to Roman Pilum.

Romans have several Pila available. Initially they use light pilum (1500g), which is getting improved at Marius reforms into heavier version (2000g) to be replaced again in Imperial times by heavy pilum (2500g). All three javelins have high penetrative ability and damage. It has the highest momentum,therefore these javelins are very deadly when they hit.

All javelins also have special bonus against Elephants. Usual accurate range for javelins is just 10 meters, so its best to get close.

Ancient arrows were not as effective as medieval arrows. Usually quite light arrows were used, average weight was around 35grams. These light arrows were quite good at short distances, yet lacked momentum at longer ranges to deal the damage. They wont be able to penetrate heavier armors and shields, yet they can deal with the lightly equipped skirmishers. Also all arrows have increased bonus against cavalry. Light arrows standard effective range is around 60metres, and maximum range around 120 meters. For longer ranges certain units use heavy arrows. These are usually 70g heavy, and while shot slower (45m/s vs 50m/s), they have additional punch. They can also cause small trauma damage. Anyway these arrows were not used for shooting at short ranges. Their purpose was long range, as they had higher momentum which increased chances for lethal hit. Again, their accurate range is around 60m, and maximal range is around 160-180m. Another important thing is the way they are shot.

Light arrows are shot directly at the target, where archers aims at the enemy directly. This means he is shooting slower as he has to take good aim. Heavy arrows are used indirectly to saturate certain area. They are shot much faster but with almost no accuracy. yet share amount of arrows will deal the damage especially against area targets.

Slings. Another type of weapon that differs greatly around the world. Simple slings used by Barbarians usually used heavy stones (100-160g or heavier) while their range was limited to approximately 80meters. These slings lack any accuracy, yet they carry much more ammunition than any other units, as they could just pick rocks from the ground.

More specialized slingers like Balearic also use stones, but they carefully selected their ammo. They usually thrown stones about 100g heavy at increased range with better precision (about 120m). Best slingers though use lead slingshots. While these are the lightest (85g) thanks to their superior shape have the longest range and best precision (150m). Slings similarly to arrows have special bonus against cavalry, and because of the sound they produce as they fly in the air, they have certain morale penalty to units they might fly over (soldiers hearing them would tend to cover themselves with shields) Damage wise, stones produce similar kinetic energy as arrows, yet, due to their weight they also deal trauma damage, which makes them more effective against heavily armored units.

Armor and shields

Due to the way how armor is implemented, we had to chose a bit different approach. Armor value doesn't represent solid protection, but instead it is always random value of 0-armor max. Therefore with armor 100, there is a 1% chance weapon will completely ignore it and cause full damage. Because of this, we decided to make armor represent not just the maximal armor, but also coverage. Therefore armors like Mail, with good coverage will have slightly better max value than plate armor with much less coverage. yet plate, will be better against projectiles, and blunt force trauma.

As mentioned in weapon section, Blunt force trauma is handled by AP damage. Several armors which were more Blunt Force resistant, therefore received special hitpoint bonus, which simulates higher resistance against blunt force damage taken. Solid chest plate armors receive minimal HP bonus, Bronze Breastplates or Segmented plates medium bonus, and Metal Scale or Lamelar armors receive high HP bonus. Now if you compare Mail with Segmented armor, Mail will have higher armor number, therefore will have slightly better chance to deflect hit (due to better coverage), Segmented armor will deflect less, but will make soldier survive a bit more when actual hit is scored.

Things are different with shields. They have several different abilities, which allow us to differentiate between them based on their usage. Main shield parameter in R2TR is shield melee defense, which is based on size of protected area, but also based on the way shield is used. Central grip shields have clear advantage in this area over double strap shields. Shield block chance is secondary stats which is very important against ranged weapons. It is solely based on every shield protected area. Shield armor is tertiary, heavy shields can help at reducing or diminishing damage, yet usually its better to deflect (defense/block chance) the hit than taking it directly.

Small shields are usually good in melee (adding to defense), yet they have limited chance to block the projectiles. Larger shields like Celtic Thureos are very good all around, yet they lack the resistance and coverage of Roman Scutum. Hoplite shields at the other side are the most resistant to damage, yet due to the way they were used, they are a bit limiting in close melee fights. overall, heavy shields reduce movement speed of unit, but they are usually quite resistant frontally. Roman Scutum will give Roman Legionaries solid protection that can successfully block the melee and ranged attacks, while Legionary could counterattack from behind the shield. Clashing with them frontally is never a good idea, yet they will be also limited due to weight of Scuta, especially when facing lightly armed enemies that will be able to outmaneuver them (Iberians).

Even lightly armored units equipped with good shield (high melee defense) can hold against heavily armored units. Biggest enemy of all shields are heavy javelins, which reduce shield defense bonuses for certain period of time. Being hit by salvo of Pila is something that can really weaken even strong defenses.
    Last edited by JaM; October 11, 2016 at 12:12 PM.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Rome II Total Realism : (Weapons & Armor) Preview

I look forward to reading and hearing more and yeah that original thread was so long I was lost in it . I gave up on Rome II for now, despite there being amazing work from modders already out that truly gave me some moments of enjoyment, the base game is unplayable and it keeps shining through. It's only more extensive patching and RTR that can bring Rome II back out from the catacombs.

Since you've posted on arms and armor and highlights some philosophies behind what unit make up will be in terms of weapons and their functions -- I truly hope to see some more realistically inspired units regarding mixed weapons in the same unit. When appropriate, of course. We have all seen very compelling evidence to support the fact that men in a single "unit" of Greek solders were armed similarly, if not uniformly. Barring psiloi and other auxiliary type warriors who may have been in amongst others, it's safe to say that a unit of hoplitoi Machairaphoroi, Theurophoroi, what-have-you-oi, were all armed with the same class of weapons.

But what of Odryssian warbands, or Scythian horsemen, or warriors from various less organized and regimented peoples all over the world? Will we see Seubian units that have some men armed with hand axes, some armed with clubs, some armed with short swords? I'm for seeing real world depicted units with less emphasis on perfect toy modeling and uniform anal retentive weapon kits, and more on the tactical possibilities a unit can have. One does not need all men in a unit to have the same ax to have a unit that behaves in the role of a unit of "German Axe Men." This is somewhat of a cosmetic suggestion/inquiry, and less a technical one, but we do play for the atmosphere.

kinda funny to find out this generated less views than thread about lion cataphracts.. kinda makes me rethink my priorities...

Very interesting preview .

You should make a frontpage announcement about it, I believe most people isn't aware that R2TR is being developped . And yes, unfortunately, people is more interested in eye-candies and screenshots than text, but this should not stop you.

RTR was the second mod I played (I began with Terrae Expugnandae because RTR was for RTW 1.2 and I have Gold Edition).

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

A lot of people are fed up with the game, so you have less eyes on these forums right now. The people still playing need mods now, to make the game playable / worthwhile so are understandably more focused on those mods out which are working through all their kinks. I don't think active interest in other overhaul mods will occur until something is more fleshed out and when some hope is renewed in this game. Not sure why you locked other thread though, it was more a general discussion.

Artifex

Now I have my first reason to buy Rome II Gold Edition: this mod. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Destin Faroda; March 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    kinda funny to find out this generated less views than thread about lion cataphracts.. kinda makes me rethink my priorities...

Keep at it JAM, we are with you! Yea most people dont know this thing is being developed, I dont think. I personally cannot wait!

Morfans's Avatar Semisalis

So, here's where you've hidden yourself ! I was just wondering what happened to R2TR. (Not a facebook fan actually ...)

Keep on with the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    A lot of people are fed up with the game, so you have less eyes on these forums right now.
    Many more people are fed up with TWC, I am afraid. Six months of merciless ranting would have pissed off the fiercest troll. Just confront the constant decline of TWC active members to the number of visitors on CA official forums ...

Anyway, hail R2TR ! Where can I read what you guys have in mind to adjust the political model ?

Very interesting and detailed info. This is why I have been waiting for R2TR! Can't wait to get the first version on my hands! When ever it will it be. And I think R2 will get bigger playerbase soon enough as it is patched playable and more good mods will come out after the toolset is released and learnt by modders.

Small correction regarding slingers. In last few days spent some time collecting info about effectivity of slings, therefore i decided to do some changes to them.

All Slingers will have now two types of ammo available. They will use light stones/shots (usually 40g heavy) at long distance throws, usually with range of 150-200m. Yet these light projectiles will not do any significant damage. Their main purpose would be to suppress enemy. In R2TR we have a special ranged suppress system, where unit that gets hit by ranged projectiles, received reload penalty, therefore cannot respond to being shot at as before. Slingers thanks to their increased range, can suppress this way any ranged unit quite effectively, but same principle works also for other ranged weapons, which means, in skirmisher duels, rate of fire will get down significantly when two skirmisher units start shooting at each other. it also means that you can use own skirmishers to neutralize enemy skirmishers.

Second ammo type for Slingers are heavy stones/shots with weight around 100-120g. These projectiles will have increased damage, and will also cause light to moderate trauma damage. especially units that were using lead shots are quite dangerous using these.

Overall, there will be three different types of slingers. Rocks throwing slingers will be used by all kind of barbarian tribes (with some exceptions like Iberians). These slingers will have high ammo supply (they can pick up any rock form the ground) but their accuracy will be limited, as well as range. Still these will be cheap ranged units that can keep firing for long periods of time, while they can be quite useful in suppress mode.
    Second tier of Slingers will use stone/marble/clay projectiles with adjusted shape for better flight capabilities. These will have reduced amount of ammo, yet their accuracy will be higher.
    Third tier are Slingers using lead shots. Lead shots have highest damage potential, they are most accurate of all, yet their supply is limited. Only specialist slingers will use lead ammo. (Rhodians and Balearic Slingers)

Our focus with slingers was to make these skirmishers work the way they were really used in ancient times, instead of being all killing machines CA made them in vanilla.
    Last edited by JaM; March 23, 2014 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Not sure why you locked other thread though, it was more a general discussion.
    There's so much have change since the mod was announced and some information in the old thread was no longer relevant.

Gotcha. And nice stuff in the slingers post too. Really disliked the slingers in vanilla to the point of exiting to windows. Not only were they infuriating to play with/against but every army had 10 of them.

Is "trauma" damage, essentially morale damage?

Like the new concept of slingers! They have been more or less useless in vanilla and that suppress system will make them indeed tactically valid units. Nice!

Dago Red: Trauma damage means blunt force trauma - damage that ignores armor. Heavy stones, lead shot projectiles were usually heavier than 100g. There are some historical mentions about Balearic slingers using 300-400g heavy stones, hundreds of heavy 100g lead shots were found as well.. these will do a lot of damage at short range, but of course its not anywhere close to javelins which are meant to be heavy hitters.

Appreciate this info a whole lot. Look forward to something playable perhaps during this year.
    Less is more

Quote Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post
    Appreciate this info a whole lot. Look forward to something playable perhaps during this year.
    The plan actually was to have a small release by Christmas last year.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    The plan actually was to have a small release by Christmas last year.
    I used to play RTR mod with Rome TW. When is the release of Rome II Total Realism expected?

Quote Originally Posted by Lannes1 View Post
    I used to play RTR mod with Rome TW. When is the release of Rome II Total Realism expected?
    Realisticly when Rome II has stop patching and no longer supported (new TW game comes out).

Last update from CA did what we thought, anyway i managed to update my files to work with current version relatively quickly (at least combat model part). Now, we will wait on HATG being released, so we can assess the DLC and decide the course of action. My personal plan is to initially release smaller version for HATG DLC specifically, (but will contain stuff also for CiG and Main) to give you some sort of a preview, but most importantly some feedback from players on the combat model.

Preview version will only contain our new combat mechanics, but wont contain any new graphics. (but you will be able to use it along the graphic mods created for vanilla game without any problems..)

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    Last update from CA did what we thought, anyway i managed to update my files to work with current version relatively quickly (at least combat model part). Now, we will wait on HATG being released, so we can assess the DLC and decide the course of action. My personal plan is to initially release smaller version for HATG DLC specifically, (but will contain stuff also for CiG and Main) to give you some sort of a preview, but most importantly some feedback from players on the combat model.

Preview version will only contain our new combat mechanics, but wont contain any new graphics. (but you will be able to use it along the graphic mods created for vanilla game without any problems..)
    I'd be interested in trying that out, it sounds cool!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast