Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game feels too easy?

Default Game feels too easy?

I'm playing on Hard campaign as Rome, and so far it's just been a walk in the park. The real culprit is that even with my taxes all the way on low, and several provinces untaxed due to food issues, i'm still getting 15-20k per turn. I have a bank of 100,000 that i keep using to buy more client states, allies, and trade routes. Everybody loves me except carthage, who i'm currently in the process of defeating since I don't need to send my armies anywhere else (and I can afford full stacks of the the highest quality troops). I've only got about 25-30 provinces at this point but I don't even feel like continuing the campaign. I never have to fight any battles because auto-resolve just shows that I'll win so I auto-resolve it (usually i just have 2-3 stacks attack a single enemy stack to gaurentee victory).

Why does this mod give you so much money? The Traits & toadies mod can easily give you +15% tax in multiple provinces and +10% on trade income from multiple generals.

This seems to have been an issue every time I come back to try this mod. Why is the economy so easy?

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Game feels too easy?

> thinks the game is too easy
    > plays on 'Hard'

I'm playing on very hard, and generally the enemy has stack after stack to send against me, then once I do siege one of their cities for a change, they generally have a stack worth of garrison and a full stack of reinforcements.
    “I feel even more strongly now than I ever did about the mendacity and the corruption and the injustice of so many of the actions taken by what are called freedom-loving Western democracies,”
    -Harold Pinter

Well since there is no way to increase the difficulty above hard I guess your kinda screwed

God mate, you're having a tough time! If only there was some way to modulate difficulty. Ah well, guess you better give up on it.

Well, in fairness, "hard" is the recommended difficulty to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Death from Anon View Post
    > plays on 'Hard'
    > thinks the game is too easy

Fixed.

The irony is there is a post not too far down from this one claiming this mod is impossible.

Also, this mod is not for what I would call "min/maxers." I have stated on multiple occasions the character system can be abused if you so choose, but it is there to add depth to the game. If you pick the same skills with all your generals and stack bonuses, then yes you will be able to abuse the system.

I am not sure why you would want to auto resolve every battle (many users find that battles are an amazing part of this mod). I would suggest cranking up the difficulty and playing the battles, you may find you need those extra troops.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Try playing on very hard, because it will not matter how much money you get, the AI will send stack after stack to eliminate you, so you might need those high quality armies given that you will probably be always outnumbered

As Rome on very hard Carthage is nearly unstoppable. I had to load back a few times and really think outside the box just to hold them off. Me and an ally are fighting tribes in the north, which leaves me with a tight budget without my ally I probably would have lost by now.

Also matters what faction you play with as Rome as has been said before. Junia's cultural aversion is a game changer diplomatically.

Decanus

LOL,,, You are saying this MOD is to easy, I don't think so and probably all the other players don't. You must be SUPER MAN. Make sure and put battle difficulty as hard Realism. You will have a better game that way and actually fight the battles and see if you can win.

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay View Post
    Try playing on very hard, because it will not matter how much money you get, the AI will send stack after stack to eliminate you, so you might need those high quality armies given that you will probably be always outnumbered
    I don't like playing games where my enemies play with different rules than myself. I assumed that on the higher diffuclty levels (very hard/legendary) that the AI gets even more blatent advantages. As soon as I see something that breaks the illusion I lose interest in playing the game

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The irony is there is a post not too far down from this one claiming this mod is impossible.

Also, this mod is not for what I would call "min/maxers." I have stated on multiple occasions the character system can be abused if you so choose, but it is there to add depth to the game. If you pick the same skills with all your generals and stack bonuses, then yes you will be able to abuse the system.
    So you've created a game where the purpose is to try to use the tools at your disposal to achieve the victory conditions, then tell people not to use the best tools that you give them because it will be too easy? Why not just fix the broken tools?

I am not sure why you would want to auto resolve every battle (many users find that battles are an amazing part of this mod). I would suggest cranking up the difficulty and playing the battles, you may find you need those extra troops.
    I don't want to auto-resolve every battle, but when the choice is "sit through a 15 minute battle that is boring as because there's no way you can lose it" and "hit auto-resolve" I'd choose the later every time. Whenever the auto-resolve is anywhere in the 40-60% chance I always fight, but I rarely have those.

I'm having my best campaign on VH/VH. I love how AI quickly making confiderations when they see it's a better chance to defenfd themselves. Seleucids made great allies and grew really big and destroyed Ptolemaioi (In all of my other campaigns Ptolemaioi were major force). Carthage is solid at the moment but I'm not in a war with them yet, Boii expanded very big too.
    Well, It feels not hard campiagn to play but not too easy too and it's rather enjoyable, probably I will have bigger fun and challenge when once I start wars with bigger forces. Let's see how this unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger15 View Post
    I don't like playing games where my enemies play with different rules than myself. I assumed that on the higher diffuclty levels (very hard/legendary) that the AI gets even more blatent advantages. As soon as I see something that breaks the illusion I lose interest in playing the game
    well for one your beef is with CA, they are the ones that made the game and if you actually want a challenging campaign then go buy shogun 2 and play that game.

Legendary on Rome 2 is pretty much normal mode of shogun 2.
    try playing shogun 2 on legendary, with no mods, good luck though, you are going to need it.

I'm playing on Hard campaign as Rome, and so far it's just been a walk in the park. The real culprit is that even with my taxes all the way on low, and several provinces untaxed due to food issues, i'm still getting 15-20k per turn. I have a bank of 100,000 that i keep using to buy more client states, allies, and trade routes. Everybody loves me except carthage, who i'm currently in the process of defeating since I don't need to send my armies anywhere else (and I can afford full stacks of the the highest quality troops). I've only got about 25-30 provinces at this point but I don't even feel like continuing the campaign. I never have to fight any battles because auto-resolve just shows that I'll win so I auto-resolve it (usually i just have 2-3 stacks attack a single enemy stack to gaurentee victory).

Why does this mod give you so much money? The Traits & toadies mod can easily give you +15% tax in multiple provinces and +10% on trade income from multiple generals.

This seems to have been an issue every time I come back to try this mod. Why is the economy so easy?
    If you want a challenge starting with Rome is surely not the wisest choice (and I bet you even chose Cornelia, isn't it? And then you complain about "easy economy", ah the irony...).

You chose the strongest faction (with much probably the easier family) with the easier start and you complain that the game is "easy"?

Try to play as Seleucid (for example) on very hard then come here again, want you?

Not every faction is the same in DeI and some are easier or more challenging depending on the inner strength of the faction and the starting position. This is a little so also in vanilla but in DeI much more. Some factions are really really difficult to win with (for example the minor factions are really difficult on harder difficulties in DeI both because they haven't so powerful troops - as in reality - and both because of a mix of starting position/little territory).

If you chose the faction that has probably the easier time in the mod then you cannot complain that the mod is too easy. If you search challenge and you want to then complain about the mod being too easy chose a context that is done to give you a challenge before doing so, then you will have a point in case.
    Last edited by Selea; March 16, 2014 at 03:33 PM.

The AI bonuses are mostly hidden and are one of the few ways to truly alter difficulty. We have also changed AI behavior but we are limited in how much we can mod that. Also, as many have pointed out, Rome is by far the easiest faction to play by design of the game. That is why we strive to flesh out the other factions and make them just as interesting as CA made Rome.

So you've created a game where the purpose is to try to use the tools at your disposal to achieve the victory conditions, then tell people not to use the best tools that you give them because it will be too easy? Why not just fix the broken tools?
    Because I don't see them as broken. I am saying the character system is designed with roleplayers and historical junkies in mind rather than hardcore gamers. The system is not there to pick the very same skill for every single general. It is there to provide you with the ability to have many different general types that all contribute in unique and immersive ways. You say that when you see the AI taking advantage of game mechanics it breaks your immersion, but you choosing the same skills for every army/general doesn't break your immersion at all? Wouldn't you prefer to have a great commander, a good diplomat, a quality governor, a cunning ambusher, etc. rather than a whole bunch of min/maxed clones? I fully admit the character system requires the player to show restraint and imagination or it can be abused, but I don't see that as a broken system. I am sure plenty of people would disagree with me, however

I don't want to auto-resolve every battle, but when the choice is "sit through a 15 minute battle that is boring as because there's no way you can lose it" and "hit auto-resolve" I'd choose the later every time. Whenever the auto-resolve is anywhere in the 40-60% chance I always fight, but I rarely have those.
    I understand, but my point was that if you increase the battle difficulty (or even the campaign difficulty) you may find that fighting the battles becomes challenging and fun. I find that Total War games can become rather dull when you skip too many battles, you lose the spice of the game.
    Last edited by Dresden; March 16, 2014 at 03:51 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Foederatus

I'm inclined to agree with the OP to a certain degree. I'm playing a VH/N campain as Julii and while the AI is giving me a challenge I feel the economic side of things certainly could be a little tighter. The challenge lies in the manouvering of armies and avoiding war on too many fronts which is great but I have no problem maintaining a healthy income while still sustaining superior forces in any given theatre.

I believe it's all tied in with population growth. Now I haven't played many longer lasting campagins but my impression is that every single city on the map is fully expanded 100-150 turns in. This results in provinces reaching a far too high income far too soon in the campaign. Furthermore, it also renders population growth management completely redundant IMO (This is also why the sanitation chain seems so horrible). If the population growth requirements for a city to expand could be increased (IMO they could easily be three times as high) I think both a tigther economy and more interesting and relevant growth management could be obtained. Just my humble opinion, of course
    "War is a matter of vital importance to the state; a matter of life or death, the road either to survival or to ruin. Hence, it is imperative that it be studied thoroughly." - Sun Tzu

I think Primogenitus is on to something.

boblikesoup's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Selea View Post
    Try to play as Seleucid (for example) on very hard then come here again, want you?
    I actually want to throw in a quick complaint that I am playing Seleucids on VH and having an extremely easy time. Like 20 turns in and I have no enemies and half the world is trading with me. Not a single nation has declared war on me. I just bribe people a lot to trade with me.

*Playing with the Authentic Ancient World mod- Seleucids

Last edited by boblikesoup; March 16, 2014 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast