Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Ressource] Opening thread: "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

Default [Ressource] Opening thread: "Total War: Rise of Mordor"

urgently needed

• experienced modeler(s)
    • experienced texturer(s)

Total War: Rise of Mordor

On the 3rd of March there was the Modding Summit for Rome II. Wangrin and other Modders made a lot of notes and have released the first parts. But there are still questions and discussions about the possibilities in different areas of modding Rome II. Like the header says, this thread is about a Mod which hasn't released for a newer TW game since Medieval 2: a Lord of the Rings Mod or Third Age: Total War Mod.
    Rome II is very new and maybe it will become the most moddable game of all the TW games so it should be possible to create such a mod like this even it will be a BIG task! Earlier I made a Mod for Shogun 2 named “The Witchking of Angmar – Unit”. Now the Mod fully works so this was a big acquisition for me and since this time I know for myself that it IS possible to create NEW units with new models and new weapons. And in reason of the similar file structures in the Rome II Modding folder it has to be possible for this game, too, to create own units with new models. Also the campaign map is moddable in Shogun 2 so in all probability it is moddable in Rome II, too.

To build this big Mod we'll need an experienced group of Modders and some preconditions. In addition we have to know that this Mod is heavy work and we all are busy with other things, too, so the creation of the Mod in a few days or weeks is impossible!

Preconditions

As I said, in the full scope this Mod is going to be a big task which can't be handled by only one person. For this we'll need a group of Modders who are experienced in different areas of the game (for example: creating campaign map, texturing, db-tables and so on...). So the first point:

a group of Modders + classification for different kind of work

In addition we need the required knowledge about the different areas, like Is it possible to build a new campaign map? and Can we expect the needed files like an universal Equipment.max file for Rome II?. It's not required to be experienced in everything in the list!

knowledge about / need of:

• campaign map creating
    • battle map creating / Map Editor for Rome II
    • BOB / “.pack” files
    • certain “universal” files to edit
    • new animations
    • 3D modelling / the required models
    • integrating new 3D models into the game (persons / buildings / (vegetation?))
    • texture editing
    • MAYBE sound structure (moddable?)
    • db-tables (ingame-texts in different languages?)

Further we need a place to collect and swap the created files. In the end we can combine them to a Mod Pack.

something like a cloud for data

Programs needed

Some programs are required for this task:

• Autodesk Maya / 3ds Max up to 2013
    • Autodesk Motionbuilder
    • Autodesk Mudbox
    • MAYBE Milkshape 3D and / or Ultimate Unwrap 3D
    • MAYBE Crazybump
    • BOB for Rome II
    • TWeak for Rome II
    • TED for Rome II
    • MAYBE in addition some other programs

The idea of the Mod

The desire of a Lord of the Rings Mod for a newer TW game exists since a long time but unfortunately the threads and works for for example Shogun 2 “died”. I really want this Mod, too, so I thought I'm going to open this thread.
    My idea of the Mod is to create a new campaign map (maybe a part of Middle-Earth or if possible the whole land) and to create new factions for this campaign. These are the two main points for the Mod and they sound like small work. But behind it there is a lot of work and a lot of things needed. I could write a big plan now how the Mod should be built, but I think it's better to wait first and to search a group because then we can discuss our ideas for the Mod and compare them to a maybe more complex plan.

So, if you're interested to work for the Mod and if you think you have a special area you're experienced in, please write what you think and how we should go on! I consider the size of the group should be at least up to 8 people.

Regards,
    Vikus van de Merwe
    Last edited by Vikus van de Merwe; December 02, 2014 at 12:21 PM.
    ------------- under the patronage of wangrin --------------

~~~~~~~ Total War: Rise of Mordor at ModDB ~~~~~~~

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: The Rome II Lord of the Rings Mod

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

there is already a LOTR mod, dude
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...th-%28TW-ME%29

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Milkshape will be of no use. It is better to use 3ds max or Maya.

Equipements are not defined in a unique equipment file, but in individual files, like helmets for example.

CA didn't have released a tool for campaign map yet. It will be release later, probably.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    Yep, but TW:ME should be based on Tolkien work (eg. pictures and drawings from him), when I suppose that LotR:TW should be base on... another visual environment.
    Frankly, If I prefer Tolkien's books to their cinematographic adaptation, on the other hand, I prefer their visual environment.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Hi,

here is a suggestion from wangrin how to go on:

About the mod, it could be interesting to work step by step :

1. Preparing the mod :
      • Defining the list of factions
        • defining each faction's units roster
        • defining each faction techtree
        • defining each faction building chains

• working on "paper" map

2. Releasing "units pack" to allow to play battles
    3. developping the campaign map

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

Good luck guys!

Thank you, hope we can start to plan detailed when we have got some more members. Maybe you're interested, too? Would be nice if you can give me feedback and tell me in which area you want to work if you want to join the group.

Regards,
    Vikus

Good luck for your project

Group is growing

maybe its better for your 2 tolkien mod teams to merge, it will be much better, because you will make one ultimate mod!

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

Good luck also.

You forgot Motion Builder in Programs Needed.
    Can't create animations without it.

Laetus

I reckon you should merge with the already current Lord of the Rings mod team.

No point making 2 LoTR mods. Unless one uses the book for inspiration and the other uses the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by XxGetBuck123 View Post
    I reckon you should merge with the already current Lord of the Rings mod team.

No point making 2 LoTR mods. Unless one uses the book for inspiration and the other uses the movies.
    Still you can probably better merge because a lot of work will be double otherwise... You could always make a submod that concentrates on the LOTR era, thid age total war has lots of submods adding different stuff in, making two LOTR mods, even if one is based on the book and the other on the movie, will mean that at least 60 or 70 procent of the work is done double, which is a waste of time

Patrician Artifex

About tools (and skill) needed :

1. Creating 3d models (shape, riggind model and UVmap):
      • 3ds max 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 /2013 + 3ds max CS2 exporter (Assembly Kit)
      • Maya : can be use to create models, but 3ds max is needed to export model
      • Blender : can be use to create models, but 3ds max is needed to export model

2. Creating animations
      • Motion Builder 2009 / 2010 / 2012 / 2013 + Motion Builder CS2 exporter(Assembly Kit)
      • Maya 2013 + Maya 2013 CS2 exporter (Assembly Kit)

3. Creating bump map
      • MudBox : sculpting high poly model (from unit) to create the bump map

4. Creating textures & 2D art
      • Photoshop
      • The Gimp

5. Processing raw data
      • BoB

6. DB editing
      • DAVE (TWeak)

7. Unit editing
      • Unit Editor (TWeak)

NOTES :
    1. Map tools :
      • Campaign Map tools : none yet
      • Battle Map tools : none yet

2. 3d model examples
      • Equipments : equipments are manage the same way as body part
        • Available with Assembly Kit : roman_aux_shield_a, roman_cavalry_helmet_2,tall_ridge_crest_1_white

• Body part :
        • Availbale with Assembly Hit : roman_skin1_shape1, lorica_squamata

• Animals : no example available
      • Engines : no example available
      • Buildings : no example available
      • Ships : roman_three

3. Ultimate Unwrap 3D :
      At the moment, UU3D and its ETW plugin is the only converter able to export most (but not all) models from the game (rigid_model_v2) to file format that can be use in 3ds max, Maya or Blender such as .fbx and .dae.

About TW:ME and R2-LotR :

These two mods didn't share the same approach of Middle Earth.
    TW:ME want to base its development on Tolkien books, documents and drawing, when, in my mind, R2-LotR would be based on films design (at least for visual effects).
    I doubt these two approach can be combined, even if some element can be common to both mods.
    Of course, it would be interesting for both mods to share their work and avoid to disperse energy.
    But, again, I don't think that both mods could be combined.

Managing a development team where all peoples didn't share a common goal is a very, very, very difficult challenge.
    Last edited by wangrin; March 27, 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

For the bump map you can add crazy bump; it is an excellent software so as to release a normal map if you are not patient so as to do it manually.

I wish you good luck! I'm a big TATW fan, and endorse all LotR mods for Rome II.

Thank you We'll begin with our work soon...

Here is our plan how to start with work:

Last edited by Vikus van de Merwe; March 31, 2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: picture wasn't visible for readers not logged in

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast