Secretary of State

Jack Eggers, Secretary of State

Secretary of the Treasury

Elon Massie, Secretary of the Treasury

Secretary of War

Horatio Peterson, Secretary of War
    Attorney-General
    To be appointed

Last edited by Kip; March 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: [WEF 3.0 1792] The Administration of President Hammitt Poole

President Hammitt Poole sat at his desk, his brow hardened and his cheeks covered in unattended stubble. The past few days had led him to neglect his personal appearance, with minor annoyances growing quickly into national crises. His wooden hand was ever tucked between the buttons of his coat, and his tapped the desk idly with his good hand. He spoke aloud his words, as a solemn scribe recorded his dictation into letters, which would be affixed with the seal of his office.

"This one, to Governor Benjamin Stark of Pennsylvania..."

Sir,

It is regrettable that my letter finds your state gripped in crisis, but these are trying times for our fledgling nation. You do not need me to remind you that rebels against our great nation have arisen in your state, near enough to threaten the Congress and the rightfully-elected government of the people, and you certainly do not need reminded of your right to defend the sovereignty of your state and of your Federal government. I appreciate your apprehension to violence; I wish only that such problems might be solved with the kindness of words alone. However, these illegal rebels have shown a propensity to anarchy and to murder, and they have exhibited their own propensity to violent rebellion time and time again. It is our duty as representatives of the American people to protect their life, liberty, and property, and I trust you will call upon your militia with haste to accomplish these goals.

I am sir
    Your most humble servant,
    To Governor Stark.
    "This one, to Leonidas Dowd of New Jersey..."

Sir,

We find ourselves in trying times. Our government is elected by popular vote of the American people, and yet we are challenged time and time again by those who disagree with the policies legislated by rightful representatives of the people. This shame cannot be permitted, lest anarchy reign and we prove that our great experiment were in vain. You have proven yourself an ardent supporter of this Federal government. New Jersey is not under direct threat by these rebels, but I call upon you to show your support for the government residing in Philadelphia by calling forth your state militia. It is my hope that they will not be needed over the course of this crisis, but your state is in good position to support Philadelphia should the need arise; as such, your militia must be ready to march forth at a moment's notice.

I am sir
    To Governor Dowd.
    "This one, to Thomas Knight of Maryland..."

Sir,

We find our great nation once more tried by the actions of those operating outside the rightful law of the land. We cannot allow this country to be held hostage by rebels working in extralegal fashion. They challenge a government elected by the public and working for the public, while they represent only themselves. This shame cannot be permitted. Maryland is not yet under direct threat by these rebels, but they threaten the state of Pennsylvania, the capital, and the Federal government found there, as well as your neighboring state of Virginia. I ask you to call upon your state militia and send it forth in defense of this Federal government, which you already defended often with your noble words.

I am sir
    To Governor Knight.
    "This one to Peter Shields of Virginia..."

Sir,

I regret that this letter finds your state of Virginia threatened by extralegal rebels operating from your western territories. These rebels espouse an agenda against Philadelphia, but their actions prove otherwise; their riotous behavior, including the murder of elected officials, only shows their wanton willingness to commit crime and anarchy against the will of the people. If they are not punished for their disloyalty to the elected Federal government, their actions will next metamorphose into disloyalty against their State. It is such that it is in Virginia's interest to put down these rebels, with haste. I call on you to muster your militia and march to the defense of Virginia by disbanding these rebels until they are no more. These rebels will march first for Philadelphia, but they will inspire others to march against Richmond if they are successful; you have the power to stop them, and their future admirers, before they accomplish their vile goals.

I am sir
    To Governor Shields.
    "This one, to Walter Simons of North Carolina..."

Sir,

This letter regretfully finds your State threatened by illegal rebels, much as it was during the events of the Waxhaws Rebellion. These rebels operate beyond the scope of the law, rebelling from their legitimate, publicly-elected government for reasons that befit only themselves, and not the people at large. We must address this rebellion as we have addressed that in Waxhaws, and that led by Shays; armed opposition against our Constitution threatens not only our Federal government, but the States themselves. Your son has already spoken his support in the Congress, and I trust that you shall mirror his support. I call upon you to muster your state militia and to march against these rebels, so that peace may be restored in North Carolina and in the United States of America.

I am sir
    To Governor Simons.
    "This final one to Peter Anderson of Georgia..."

Sir,

It is regrettable that my letter finds your State harried by illegal rebels in your western territories. It is imperative that you call upon your state militia to fight against these rebels, to guard the sovereignty of Georgia and of the Senators and Representatives your state has dispatched to represent her in the Federal Government. Permitting these rebels free reign against the laws of their rightfully-elected government will harden them against any law that they deem unfavorable to themselves, and they will surmount to rebel next against the State as well as against the Nation. Do not permit them the chance to prove that armed rebellion against a rightful, representative government can go unpunished, lest Georgia pay the price in the future.

I am sir
    To Governor Anderson.
    Last edited by Kip; March 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM.

Mr.Rondelle arrives at Independence Hall(?) to meet with President Poole in regards to Concordia, bringing with him several drawings of individual buildings and a general plan of the city.

"Ah, Mr. Rondelle!" said President Poole, setting aside a pen and for the moment pushing away a letter he had been busy penning. It seemed like governing a nation demanded an unending string of correspondence, and while his wooden hand had encouraged him to use a scribe, some correspondence required a personal - if sloppy and stilted - hand.

"What do have for me?"

"A finalized plan of Concordia, your excellency, along with a design of the fortress you requested be added to the city plan." Rondelle unfurls one of his maps and places it on a vacant table, not wishing to risk knocking something over on Poole's desk."While in my original plan, I had envisioned both the Capitol building shown and the President's residence to be a single building based off Versailles with a similarly fashioned garden except adorned with statues of some of the Revolution's greatest heroes instead of Bourbon kings, I figured that may just reinforce the notion of "King Poole" and the government being a different form of monarchy. So I have adjusted that to be two separate buildings, which I envisions being built in a Baroque style but with some neoclassical additions as a reference to the ancient republics of Athens and Rome for the President's residence, while the Capitol building will be purely neoclassical or the reverse of the former. The other map I have here, besides a notion of canals that one of my assistants drew up and I consider to be something that may be more costly than beneficial, is a design for Fort Union." Rondelle then presents the second map of the fortress.

Poole pored over the maps, his brow furrowed with interest. "This shall make for a fine capital. We are in a beautiful position, Mr. Rondelle, we representatives of the American people. We are sculptors, creating from American marble the image of a perfect nation. It is wise to take steps to fashion a capitol city that accurately reflects the Federal government it houses and the nation it represents, and separating the house of legislature and the presidential residency is the right decision. I do not wish the opponents of the Constitution to think the office of president exerts undue influence over the legislature; the Romans Emperors ruled through manipulation of public offices, and we should not give the people any reason to suspect we shall be doing the same. No, instead this city shall be a beacon to the American people, quite literally a sign of concord between north and south, east and west.

I do wish we might have forgone fortifications in the design, but the course of the war and the growing pains felt following the ratification of the Constitution have convinced me, as well as my generals, that such measures are important to the well-being of our government."

ooc : So, I found out today the Capitol Building's dome wasn't added for another 50 years...

"That it will, your excellency..and of course, sir. I do have some alternative ideas for the Capitol Building and the Presidential estate should you, or any commissioners congress or yourself appoint to aid in the construction of the capital deem the present ideas too costly or time consuming to be built." Rondelle motions to an aide to present two of the alternative ideas to the Neoclassical original design, both being in the Baroque style. "A beacon of liberty and cooperation between the regions, where differences of culture and political alignment work together in concert for the benefit of all of the United States. It is unfortunate we must add fortification, and besides what you have mentioned, your excellency, the fact Congress had to relocate twice during the war due to the indefensible position of the temporal capitol could be another piece of the argument for fortification. Hopefully there will be no need to expand the fortifications beyond what we have reluctantly had to place."

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

OOC: Kip, can you replace the picture of Jack with the painting I replaced it with in the thread?

Secretary of State Eggers waits outside the President's office for he and M. Rondelle to finish their business. He would like to discuss matters of diplomacy.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Vice-President Lamberth arrived at the Presidential Offices in Philadelphia, eager to speak to the President. Of particular concern was the fate of the Whiskey rebels, alongside America's relations with France.

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

The Senate has voted on whether to recognize the French National Convention as a legitimate government or not, and now it falls to Poole to either approve or veto their decision:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    The Senate votes on France...

Recognize the Convention: 7 (Anti-Admin)
    Withholding recognition of the Convention: 21 (18 Pro-Admin, 3 Anti-Admin; incl. Rondelle, Amsel)

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    ooc : So, I found out today the Capitol Building's dome wasn't added for another 50 years...

"That it will, your excellency..and of course, sir. I do have some alternative ideas for the Capitol Building and the Presidential estate should you, or any commissioners congress or yourself appoint to aid in the construction of the capital deem the present ideas too costly or time consuming to be built." Rondelle motions to an aide to present two of the alternative ideas to the Neoclassical original design, both being in the Baroque style. "A beacon of liberty and cooperation between the regions, where differences of culture and political alignment work together in concert for the benefit of all of the United States. It is unfortunate we must add fortification, and besides what you have mentioned, your excellency, the fact Congress had to relocate twice during the war due to the indefensible position of the temporal capitol could be another piece of the argument for fortification. Hopefully there will be no need to expand the fortifications beyond what we have reluctantly had to place."
    "Both exquisite designs. I, my family, and all future presidents of these United States would be quite proud to call any of these designs their home. What is your opinion, Mr. Rondelle? Do you feel any of your ideas speak most to the symbolism of this nation, this office, and it's occupant? I am particularly intrigued to hear what statuary and symbols you would install atop these domes and rooftop fixtures as indicated on your plans."

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    OOC: Kip, can you replace the picture of Jack with the painting I replaced it with in the thread?

Secretary of State Eggers waits outside the President's office for he and M. Rondelle to finish their business. He would like to discuss matters of diplomacy.
    "Good afternoon," said the president with a smile. "Here to continue our discussion from the other day?"

Quote Originally Posted by Watercress View Post
    Vice-President Lamberth arrived at the Presidential Offices in Philadelphia, eager to speak to the President. Of particular concern was the fate of the Whiskey rebels, alongside America's relations with France.
    "Good afternoon, Edward," said the president, his brow furrowed and a pen clutched in his hand. A pair of crumpled up parchments at the corner of the desk indicated that his progress on some document had faltered, though whether it was due to content, phrasing, or simply sloppy off-handed penmanship, it wasn't quite certain. "You have impeccable timing. I was preparing to write a policy regarding the events out west. I would most value your opinion on the matter."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    The Senate has voted on whether to recognize the French National Convention as a legitimate government or not, and now it falls to Poole to either approve or veto their decision:
    Poole affixed his signature after consulting the content of the decision. "It is not a President's place to refute the treaties dictated by the Congress, who represent the Nation. However, it is not a Congress' place to act without the consideration of its President, who represents the Nation to no lesser extent."

OOC: Vagueness will be my best friend (and future WEFers worst nightmare, probably)

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

"A vaguely related matter. Now, the French no longer hold territory in the Americas. This may be to our great advantage. We do not have to intervene in matters in France so long as the Spanish Bourbons hold France's former lands. I would like to see this nation expand, however we have a problem. Westward settlement isn't very appealing at the moment, as it isn't profitable. If we want the west to ever become civilized, it must be profitable to conduct business beyond the mountains. However, other than the Mississippi, there are no major waterways as there are in the east for transportation. As you know, sir, the Spanish rule New Orleans, and thus hold any trade west of the Appalachians hostage. I would like to begin negotiations with Spain to purchase at least New Orleans, if not the land surrounding the Mississippi."

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    "A vaguely related matter. Now, the French no longer hold territory in the Americas. This may be to our great advantage. We do not have to intervene in matters in France so long as the Spanish Bourbons hold France's former lands. I would like to see this nation expand, however we have a problem. Westward settlement isn't very appealing at the moment, as it isn't profitable. If we want the west to ever become civilized, it must be profitable to conduct business beyond the mountains. However, other than the Mississippi, there are no major waterways as there are in the east for transportation. As you know, sir, the Spanish rule New Orleans, and thus hold any trade west of the Appalachians hostage. I would like to begin negotiations with Spain to purchase at least New Orleans, if not the land surrounding the Mississippi."
    Poole sat back and rapped his desk with his good fingers. "An intriguing intention, to be sure. If the Spanish were willing to part with their lands on the continent, I would be as grateful as any American to have them integrated into our nation, but I fear this course of action is not yet open to us. I foresee many obstacles to such a plan. Firstly, we have precious little funds in the national treasury with which to spend on such a purchase. There is rampant opposition to the tariffs and taxes we require to make our nation financially solvent, including the ignoble Whiskey Rebellion, and it is becoming increasingly likely that much of our initial windfall must be appropriated to the army lest future upstarts learn to challenge the Federal government with impunity.

More importantly, however, is the matter of Great Britain; our former enemy still occupies many forts in sovereign American territory, near the border with Canada. There has been some resistance to settlement into the Northwest Territory due to British presence, for fear of British agitation amongst the natives or directly provoking the British garrisons themselves. The course of action in France has provided us with a particular opportunity; for the first time since the end of our Revolution, we are not the Crown's greatest concern. I wish you to open an embassy with London, so that we might formalize the conclusion of our previous war - make permanent the boundaries established by the Treat of Paris, and end agitation of both parties against one another.

Once such a treaty is signed and our relations with Britain normalized, you will have my blessing to seek out the Spanish and begin talks to acquire New Orleans and her related territories."

OOC: We need a WEF's Jay Treaty first (the Eggers Treaty! )

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    "Good afternoon, Edward," said the president, his brow furrowed and a pen clutched in his hand. A pair of crumpled up parchments at the corner of the desk indicated that his progress on some document had faltered, though whether it was due to content, phrasing, or simply sloppy off-handed penmanship, it wasn't quite certain. "You have impeccable timing. I was preparing to write a policy regarding the events out west. I would most value your opinion on the matter."
    'Good afternoon, your Excellency.' replied Lamberth. The Vice-President sat opposite President Poole, the desk dividing them. Peering over the paperwork, Lamberth was glad that Poole had so quickly deduced the purpose of his visit.

'I am glad that you believe so, your Excellency. My opinions on the matter may not come as much surprise, perhaps, if one were to consider my views on the matter of American Loyalists during our War for Independence. A similar policy of tolerance and conciliation would be most advised in this affair. The back of this rebellion has been decisively broken at Legionville, and I doubt the insurrectionists will continue to raise much trouble. Although naturally we should continue to seek out those we can and enforce charges of treason, an active investigation of Appalachia for survivors would be folly. Instead perhaps we could embark on an amnesty - those who surrender themselves to federal authorities shall have their offences written of, or at the very least reduced. This Republic has much graver tasks to undertake than to punish a petty band of brigands, as I am sure you fully understand, your Excellency.'

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

"Both exquisite designs. I, my family, and all future presidents of these United States would be quite proud to call any of these designs their home. What is your opinion, Mr. Rondelle? Do you feel any of your ideas speak most to the symbolism of this nation, this office, and it's occupant? I am particularly intrigued to hear what statuary and symbols you would install atop these domes and rooftop fixtures as indicated on your plans."
    "I would say they represent buildings befitting of a government and it's leader, but not opulent or extravagant like the courts and residences of monarchies. That any man could be elected to sit in either of these buildings as a Congressman or the President. As for statuary..perhaps some greek styled statuary, primarily to represent wisdom and democracy. As for the dome, why not the national bird, the eagle? Of course I am open to suggestions on these parts, your excellency. Is there anything you would like to see represented in particular?"

Quote Originally Posted by Watercress View Post
    'Good afternoon, your Excellency.' replied Lamberth. The Vice-President sat opposite President Poole, the desk dividing them. Peering over the paperwork, Lamberth was glad that Poole had so quickly deduced the purpose of his visit.

'I am glad that you believe so, your Excellency. My opinions on the matter may not come as much surprise, perhaps, if one were to consider my views on the matter of American Loyalists during our War for Independence. A similar policy of tolerance and conciliation would be most advised in this affair. The back of this rebellion has been decisively broken at Legionville, and I doubt the insurrectionists will continue to raise much trouble. Although naturally we should continue to seek out those we can and enforce charges of treason, an active investigation of Appalachia for survivors would be folly. Instead perhaps we could embark on an amnesty - those who surrender themselves to federal authorities shall have their offences written of, or at the very least reduced. This Republic has much graver tasks to undertake than to punish a petty band of brigands, as I am sure you fully understand, your Excellency.'
    Poole smiled grimly. "Indeed, this does not come as a surprise. This is why I value your counsel, Edward; you are always the voice of reason in my ear. I have little reason to disagree concerning the rebels who have dispersed into the hill country. We have not the men to scour those mountains for them, and I doubt they would be so easily found even if we commanded vast armies. In good fortune for them, those men took up arms against us but did not use them, and as such, forgiveness for them would not be seen as weakness.

I am inclined however, to seek out the ring-leaders, the rabble-rousers who gathered them into bands with the intention of disrupting their elected government. A man has every right to be upset over decisions he disagrees with, but a man who stokes this anger to violence is dangerous indeed. I think, therefore, we shall offer amnesty to any and all who took up arms in Georgia and Tennessee, but we shall also issue warrants for the arrest of the leaders Brandon O'Sullivan and Brian McGovern.

The president's tone hardened slightly. The matter of Legionville is far more grave. I am perhaps willing to forgive a misguided soul in these times of great change and strife, but these men attacked a Federal post and murdered soldiers in the employ of their own democratically-elected government. The men who participated in this brazen raid are guilty of both treason and murder. We have in our possession some hundreds of prisoners captured during the battle. What is your recommendation on their fates? What of the participants who escaped afterwards? Should they be offered the same amnesty as their comrades further south?"

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    "I would say they represent buildings befitting of a government and it's leader, but not opulent or extravagant like the courts and residences of monarchies. That any man could be elected to sit in either of these buildings as a Congressman or the President. As for statuary..perhaps some greek styled statuary, primarily to represent wisdom and democracy. As for the dome, why not the national bird, the eagle? Of course I am open to suggestions on these parts, your excellency. Is there anything you would like to see represented in particular?"
    "Good, good. This is an utmost concern. Many of my opponents already style me "King Poole", and I should decisively enjoy not giving them further reason to continue bestowing such honors upon me. The eagle seems an appropriate image to adorn these structures; it is a symbol that unites this nation more than any face of man ever could."

Hammitt Poole dispatches copies of a letter to all state governors:

Sir,

This letter finds our Federal government and our nation once again preserved against the machinations of treason and illegal rebellion. The events at Legionville prove that this nation, even when ambushed and threatened on its enemy's terms will stand strong and unified against threats to our sovereignty, our states, and our Constitution. I offer my congratulations to the War Secretary, Horatio Peterson, who once again has proven the mettle of Virginian-born command; to the Legionnaires, whose bravery threw down an attacking force that outnumbered them three-fold; and to the state militias, who unwaveringly and unhesitatingly answered the call to defend their nation, and whose relentless march westward surely helped convince the defeated rebels to throw down their arms and abandon their wretched cause.

The state militias of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and George are hereby permitted to disband and return to their homes with the nation's thanks.

This rebellion proclaimed a mission against the Federal government, but the governors of states blemished by this uprising have seen first-hand that a threat to the Federal government is a threat to the states; a destabilized Federal government is only a precursor to a destabilized state government. "Join or Die" was one of our rallying cries, for in unity lies our strength. The states raised their troops in defense of the Federal government on this principle. As such, even though this rebellion marched towards Philadelphia alone, I now seek the opinions of New York, Richmond, Hartford, Boston, Charleston, and every capital north and south. What shall we do with the esrebels in the south, who took up arms but did not fire them? What shall we do with the escaped rebels in the north, who took up arms and participated in active war against these United States?

While I cannot acquiesce to every wish of every state, and the ultimate decision will leave some disappointed (as is the case with any decision made by man), I guarantee the states will be heard. This is the great promise of your government.

I am sir
    To the Governor.
    OOC: I don't need individual responses from the state, but a general vote between "attempt to bring justice" and "ignore/amnesty" would be most helpful

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

A few responses from the state governors, emblematic of the three 'camps' that have formed over this issue:

Hardliners
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island
    Your Excellency,

Congratulations are in order for every soldier in our righteous Legion, they who overcame such great odds to crush the Whiskey Rebellion before it could menace our federal capital. But the struggle cannot yet be said to have concluded until every last one of these drunken rats are hanged for treason, I am afraid. Leniency in this matter is the height of folly - let the swine run to their hiding holes this time, and they will be emboldened to try time and time again, believing that the federal government will always be content to let them go with but a slap on the wrist for treason; and of course, next time it may be our descendants who have to pay the price for our misguided mercy. For the sake of our children and our children's children, I implore you to send federal marshals and state militias after the rabble who thought they could melt away into the Appalachians or beyond with no further consequences, and bring them all to justice.

Your humble servant,
    Quote Originally Posted by North Carolina
    Your Excellency,

I am pleased to hear that the drunken rabble have been smashed by our invincible Legion, as I fully expected. Those captured with the Butcher must be speedily hanged and their carcasses left to rot under the sun all across the Appalachians as a warning to others who would defy your dictates. However, even once that is done, we cannot yet rest on our laurels: their brothers in arms, who boasted of burning Philadelphia to the ground but now have cowardly fled upon realizing that war is no game, must be pursued and similarly annihilated. Only then will the unruly folk of the far West know that defying the federal government means death, and thus be sufficiently humbled to never raise their arms in anger against you ever again.

Your humble servant,
    The state governors that support a hardline policy (hang Bohannon, hang the captured Pennsylvanians/Kentuckians, go after the routed rebels) are:
    Lewis Clark, Connecticut
    Paul Rogers, Rhode Island
    Leonidas Dowd, New Jersey
    Peter Shields, Virginia
    Walter Simons, North Carolina

Moderates
    Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts
    Your Excellency,

My congratulations to you, the rest of the federal government and to our brave Legionaries in suppressing this dangerous uprising. Shays' Rebellion is still fresh in our minds, and I had no doubts that you would be able to handle this threat every bit as superbly as you did John Shays and his band of murderous traitors. Nonetheless, though many of our fellow New Englanders yet cry for more blood to be spilled, as you have asked me of my opinion no matter how contrary, I shall give it: I urge you to 'temper justice with mercy', as I did after Shays and his men were presented before me in chains. The Butcher must hang for his crimes, as must his 'officers'; we must not give future rebels cause to believe that they can start a rebellion and then get off with at most a slap on the wrist. But I am inclined to believe that the rank and file, having been sufficiently chastened, should be left in peace - to execute every single traitor, even those who have failed to actually shoot at the federal government, smacks too much of European despotism. Thus I implore you to show the masses of our great nation that you are a just leader, but not one incapable of mercy either.

Your humble servant,
    Quote Originally Posted by South Carolina
    Your Excellency,

On behalf of the beautiful state of South Carolina, I say this: well done to both your administration and the Legion of the United States in decisively suppressing the Whiskey Rebellion before it got out of hand. The backwoods rabble have been put back in their place, but they have yet to fully learn the consequences of their pathetic attempt to overthrow the natural order of things. To that end, I say hang Bohannon the Butcher as high as you can; he served his purpose well enough in the Revolutionary War, I suppose - there is after all a tool for every task, and a task for every tool, even malformed and bloody ones like the Mad Dog - but once a tool is no longer needed it is rightly disposed of, and a tool that dares rebel against its natural master must be destroyed with thunderclap suddenness, should it not? That said, though the Mad Dog of Georgia and his closest companions must all die for their crimes, I am not entirely averse to the notion of sparing the rest of their toy-soldiers. After all, hunting the rank and file to the ends of the earth, besides being a futile endeavor when they have the Appalachians and the wild Northwest to hide in, may well inflame further popular resentment at your government and lend credence to the vile slanders of 'King Poole' in the weak minds of the commons.

Your humble servant,
    The state governors that support a moderate policy (kill Bohannon, kill leading rebels, let the rank and file stay home) are:
    Charles Dyer, Massachusetts
    Thomas Grierson, New Hampshire
    Elijah Abney, Vermont
    Thomas Knight, Maryland
    Henry Short, South Carolina

Advocates of leniency
    Quote Originally Posted by New York
    Mr. President,

Congratulations are in order for you and the Legion on a job well done, it seems. The Whiskey Rebellion will trouble us no more, and rightly so, for those rebels lost all right to petition our government when they turned from peaceful methods of protest to armed revolt against Philadelphia's dictates. That said, now that they have been properly straightened out by the Legion's muskets and bayonets, it is time to leave them in peace. We must show the world that though we are willing to fight when we must, we are not averse to offering our hand to our fallen opponent after we have triumphed - for how else can we expect any future rebel to consider surrender over fighting to the bitter end, when he is already convinced that surrendering means dying at a later date in far less honorable circumstances anyway? It may be in our interests to allow even Bohannon the Butcher to live, for what threat can even a mad dog once caged and with his teeth pulled out possible pose to us, rather than a martyr for future tax protesters?

Your humble servant,
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia
    Your Excellency,

Congratulations on your well-earned victory over the Whiskey Rebellion. But then, by the time this letter reaches you, no doubt the other state governors and the people themselves will have already said this same thing to you a hundred times over already, have they not? You have now asked for my honest opinion on what should be done to the defeated rebels, and so as a Southern gentleman I shall answer - nothing at all. They are beaten, they are broken, and they can pose no further threat to the federal government, I am sure; going after them now can only turn them into martyrs and further inflame tensions between your government and the governed. Even Bohannon should be spared - he is a native son of my state, it is true, but more than that he shed his blood in our Revolution and committed only what atrocities my father and his peers in the Continental Congress demanded of him. It may be unwise to release him into the general populace again under a blanket amnesty, but at the least there can be no harm in keeping him alive in prison, can there?

Your humble servant,
    The state governors supporting a lenient policy (total amnesty for the rank and file, keep the leaders imprisoned or even release them too) are:
    David Lloyd, New York
    Benjamin Stark, Pennsylvania
    James Orwell, Delaware
    James Presley, Kentucky
    Peter Anderson, Georgia
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; March 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

"Good, good. This is an utmost concern. Many of my opponents already style me "King Poole", and I should decisively enjoy not giving them further reason to continue bestowing such honors upon me. The eagle seems an appropriate image to adorn these structures; it is a symbol that unites this nation more than any face of man ever could."
    "Yes, and your Secretary of the Treasury, a Duke I believe? The eagle will be used along with other national symbols, such as the seal of the presidency for the estate, and that of Congress for the Capitol building, partially to show what branch of the government uses the building. Anything else I would advocate to be symbols of liberty, wisdom, and in the case of the court, justice. Those who call your administration a monarchy will be countered by symbols and buildings not adorned or built in the fashion of nobility, or a monarch's court, but buildings to represent the people of the United States and the concord between every region. With uniting symbols such as the eagle being the final touch to such a idea."

Poole smiled grimly. "Indeed, this does not come as a surprise. This is why I value your counsel, Edward; you are always the voice of reason in my ear. I have little reason to disagree concerning the rebels who have dispersed into the hill country. We have not the men to scour those mountains for them, and I doubt they would be so easily found even if we commanded vast armies. In good fortune for them, those men took up arms against us but did not use them, and as such, forgiveness for them would not be seen as weakness.

I am inclined however, to seek out the ring-leaders, the rabble-rousers who gathered them into bands with the intention of disrupting their elected government. A man has every right to be upset over decisions he disagrees with, but a man who stokes this anger to violence is dangerous indeed. I think, therefore, we shall offer amnesty to any and all who took up arms in Georgia and Tennessee, but we shall also issue warrants for the arrest of the leaders Brandon O'Sullivan and Brian McGovern.

The president's tone hardened slightly. The matter of Legionville is far more grave. I am perhaps willing to forgive a misguided soul in these times of great change and strife, but these men attacked a Federal post and murdered soldiers in the employ of their own democratically-elected government. The men who participated in this brazen raid are guilty of both treason and murder. We have in our possession some hundreds of prisoners captured during the battle. What is your recommendation on their fates? What of the participants who escaped afterwards? Should they be offered the same amnesty as their comrades further south?"
    Lamberth nodded, pausing for thought.

'I see the validity in trialling those rebels who fought at Legionville, alongside the senior leaders and lieutenants of this rebellion. Let those men go before the courts then, and let our noble judges determine their sentences. As for those beyond the Applachicans, those rebels who did not fight, they shall be the subject of our amnesty.'

Lamberth stops as the entrance of an aide, bearing the messages from the state governors. President and Vice-President peruse the correspondence for a while, before Lamberth raises his head once more.

'I must say my sympathies lie with Governor Dyer, and those other noble men who has written with similar proposals. Their argument is rational and reasonable - just as this Republic tempered democracy with civilisation, so too should our retribution towards the rebels balance justice and clemency.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast