Thread: New to CK II

Default New to CK II

Hey guys,

I've had this game for three months now and I'm finally getting around to giving it a go, however there is a lot of DLC content and Mods already available so would anyone be able to help me with selecting the right content to start my game with as I've no idea where to start looking.

I'm wanting to play a game as the earl of Durham with the old Gods DLC (This I've got obviously) but I'm unable to select him, I think it may be due to the current Viking invasion which is going on and it might be a impossible starting position for him but if so I can always settle for King Aella of Nortumberland.

I'm not really to bothered by the visual DLC content but will having other DLC content like the Sons of Abraham or Sunset invasion be of a benefit to my game or would it not really affect it as I'm only looking to play in Northumbralaland? Obviously if there are Mods which will enhance my experience you can put them forward too but I don't think having a one which alters game mechanics too differently from Vanilla will be a good idea as I'm still new to the game and from what I've seen there is a lot to get to grips with.

Cheers.

Edit

Turns out if I screwed my loaf on and searched down a few threads someone had already asked this question (sort of) and the DLC does add certain bits and bobs which may be useful so better safe then sorry I just acquired the lot along with all dynasty shields and unit packs, to be frank it all escalated quite quickly. Just possible Mods to use or should I be good to go?
    Last edited by Charlatan; March 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: New to CK II

If you own all DLC you´re more than ready to go

Just remember, if you don´t want the Astecz to come over around 1200 don´t forget to deactivate sunset invasion!

I´d recommend to play a few times in vanilla to learn the game, if you still feel you´re missing something have a look at the official paradox forums, everything should be there.

Also, if you´re not very satisfied with the background music I´d recommend something like this to play in the background: Kingdom of Heaven OST Additional content

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I agree with Akhenaton. Play the vanilla until you familiarize yourself with the game. After that you can have a go at the mods.

My personal recommendations are: CK 2+, The Prince and the Thane, A game of Thrones Mod, and Elder Kings

First two add to and improve various aspects of the game making it deeper and a lot more fun but you should really not venture into them until you know the vanilla version because they add quite a bit of stuff and you could be overwhelmed.

Game of Thrones mod does exactly what it says, replaces Europe with Westeros.

Elder Kings changes the game drastically moves the setting to the universe of the Elder Scrolls game and replaces/adds a lot of new features specific to that unvierse. You can dive right in but if you are not familiar with the game or very familiar with the setting you risk getting overwhelmed by all the new stuff

Here's a lsit of other good mods you could try http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Category:Mods
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; March 14, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I've had a good couple of hours trying to familiarize myself with it and I think Northumbria as a starting point is a bit too rough for a newbie, may try Ireland in 1066 to get to grips with it first before tackling something a bit more difficult, thanks for the responses though guys they'll be good to go off later.

Ireland in 865 is the best start possible for a newb. You have the weakest neighbors and vassals by far, you get to experiment with all features of the game relatively early and in a contained environment, you are safe from almost all threats. It is so easy it is basically Tutorial Island.

Oh yeah, pro tip. If playing an Irish lord ( this works for anyone actually, but Ireland is less developed so the effects are greater) send your spymaster to steal technology in Constantinople. Despite the chance of him dying you will be miles ahead of everyone else in your region within a few decades.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; March 14, 2014 at 02:42 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    If you own all DLC you´re more than ready to go

Just remember, if you don´t want the Astecz to come over around 1200 don´t forget to deactivate sunset invasion!

I´d recommend to play a few times in vanilla to learn the game, if you still feel you´re missing something have a look at the official paradox forums, everything should be there.

Also, if you´re not very satisfied with the background music I´d recommend something like this to play in the background: Kingdom of Heaven OST Additional content
    Can I deactivate the Sunset invasion during an ongoing game? I could swear I deactived it before I started the game, but each and every time it shows as activated in the main menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Can I deactivate the Sunset invasion during an ongoing game? I could swear I deactived it before I started the game, but each and every time it shows as activated in the main menu.
    If the Invasion hasn´t started yet you can deactive it in the launcher, but if it has already begun, I´m sorry but you´re doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    If the Invasion hasn´t started yet you can deactive it in the launcher, but if it has already begun, I´m sorry but you´re doomed
    Perfect, so I can still call that invasion off. thx

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post

My personal recommendations are: CK 2+, The Prince and the Thane, A game of Thrones Mod, and Elder Kings
    You wouldn´t happen to know, if there´s a newer version of "the Prince and the Thane" ? I wanted to try it out, but it crashed and their forums have been deserted for months

No idea, haven't played it in a while. Check on the Paradox forums, they might have something there.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Ireland in 865 is the best start possible for a newb. You have the weakest neighbors and vassals by far, you get to experiment with all features of the game relatively early and in a contained environment, you are safe from almost all threats. It is so easy it is basically Tutorial Island.

Oh yeah, pro tip. If playing an Irish lord ( this works for anyone actually, but Ireland is less developed so the effects are greater) send your spymaster to steal technology in Constantinople. Despite the chance of him dying you will be miles ahead of everyone else in your region within a few decades.
    The problem with Ireland in the TOG start is that, like everyone else who has a coast, vikings raid all the time. At least unlike in England I find Ireland isn't the target of prepared invasions very often. 1066 for this reason is safer but you have to worry about a more unified Britain.

L00n's Avatar Libertus

I agree with Akhenaton. Play the vanilla until you familiarize yourself with the game. After that you can have a go at the mods.

First two add to and improve various aspects of the game making it deeper and a lot more fun but you should really not venture into them until you know the vanilla version because they add quite a bit of stuff and you could be overwhelmed.

Game of Thrones mod does exactly what it says, replaces Europe with Westeros.

Elder Kings changes the game drastically moves the setting to the universe of the Elder Scrolls game and replaces/adds a lot of new features specific to that unvierse. You can dive right in but if you are not familiar with the game or very familiar with the setting you risk getting overwhelmed by all the new stuff

Here's a lsit of other good mods you could try http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Category:Mods
    Sadly , The Prince and the Thane is dead ... - supports 1.092 Only

This modification is now so out of date it is no longer supported by the "beta" patch reversion in steam
    Last edited by L00n; March 18, 2014 at 03:52 AM.

as a neewb i would recomend playing as a vassal in some strong realm. it give you the oportunity to get familiarized with the came and keep you out of big politics.
    i even find playing as an unlanded patrician in a merchant republic quite interesting. the blood-feud script is dull as hell and hardly interactive, but being able to overcome the trade-post limit by capturing from other families is a nice touch.

i am currently re-playing an old favorite, the patrician family Konstantinos of Amalfi. my goal is to become Byzantine emperor, making everything a "Roman" merchant republic. at this point (ca. 950) i am at my second (serene) Doge, ruling most of the kingdom Sicilly as a Byzantine vassal, having just captured Tunis in a holly war. the trick is to know when to become Doge and when to "turtle" it for a generation of two.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by L00n View Post
    Sadly , The Prince and the Thane is dead ... - supports 1.092 Only
    I have also created an updated list of mods, including descriptions. I am continuously updating and adding to it.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2-List-of-Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I have also created an updated list of mods, including descriptions. I am continuously updating and adding to it.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2-List-of-Mods
    I was surprised to see that HIP isn't in there already. It's technically not a mod in of itself but more like several different mods bundled together that can be all be used at once or combined with any of the other individual modules.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze470 View Post
    I was surprised to see that HIP isn't in there already. It's technically not a mod in of itself but more like several different mods bundled together that can be all be used at once or combined with any of the other individual modules.
    Oh, thanks. I did not know HIP was different from VIET. I'll update the list.