Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where Eagles Fly 3.0 - The 1792 Edition

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Re: Where Eagles Fly 3.0 - The 1792 Edition

While true, the D-Rs will have a demographic advantage as time goes on - historically the fastest-growing majority of the country at this time were poor farmers that didn't like the Federalists much, hence why they imploded in the late 1800s and 1810s. So those events should balance out the Federalist players' numerical advantage, and if nothing else at least keep America a two-party state into the 1820s instead of producing an 'Era of Good Feelings' where the D-Rs were the only real party worth talking about for a while.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Cabinet thread is composed for the most part, just need a portrait circa 1792 for Elon Massie, and I need to fill two seats (War and Attorney-General), so keep registering those characters guys!

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    43 Red Provinces
    20 "Orange" Provinces
    9 Olive Provinces
    10 Light Green Provinces
    5 Dark Green Provinces
    Total : 280,500
    30 % Tax : 84,150

Barry, blue = orange, right? :p Also, someone mind double-checking this..I think I may have miscounted the red provinces.
    I think I counted 45 Red Provinces, though my counts with everything else agree with yours. Given that, I calculated the total to be 281,500 and at a 30% tax, our income to be 84,450.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Just out of curiosity but is Rhodes Island on the state's map? It's just so tiny.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Dark blue underneath Massachusetts and to the right of Connecticut. It kind of blends in with the blue around it.

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

I see, the colour really made me think it was part of Massachusetts.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

Every post I read makes me want to join even more :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

The don't just think about it, actually join! You can reincarnate your NY delegate as a Senator or Rep, or even apply to fill in one of Poole's empty cabinet positions. I dunno what will happen with your Irish guy though, never took him into account when writing the timeline since he was only supposed to annoy British merchants or isolated patrol squadrons & I'm pretty sure 1792 America isn't ready to elect a Catholic Irish 1st-gen immigrant of dirt-poor origins with a relatively minor wartime role into either house of Congress.

Gone 2 the Celts's Avatar Primicerius

I really would like to join as my New York character or someone else, but I'm taking 5 AP classes next year so I'm trying to get a structured studying habit before September. I'm going to flip a coin, heads I join, tails I STUDY HARDER!!!!!!

Edit: Joining, yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip Bohannon View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of Egyptian mythology. I'm quite fond of anything with golden penises, really.

Regarding the USA's starting treasury, from my convo with Amaz:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    For starting funds I'll be generous and let y'all have 2x the starting national income, presumably b/c the last few years have been spent saving every penny from the new taxes/tariffs (hence why there's a Whiskey Rebellion in the first place)

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Gone 2 the Celts View Post
    I really would like to join as my New York character or someone else, but I'm taking 5 AP classes next year so I'm trying to get a structured studying habit before September. I'm going to flip a coin, heads I join, tails I STUDY HARDER!!!!!!

Edit: Joining, yay
    I'm coping with the same this year (senior right now). The trick is, to incentivize studying through IH. For every major cram session you get done, reward yourself with some computer time and release that stress with some political squabbling or kicking the crap out of some poor guy's army

And gladly updated

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

@Chesser

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    Central Government: Weak, if not nominal federal gov't
    I don't think you can be a Federalist and want a weak or nominal Federal Government, its kind of contradictory.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

No, you definitely can, just like you can be a Republican and want amnesty. You can't be a High Federalist and want a weak central government, just like you can't be a Tea Partier and want amnesty. If his other beliefs are Federalist-leaning or even moderate, it's entirely possible to go under the Federalist label and want a weaker central government, just so long as he argues in favor of Strict Constructionist Constitutionalism rather than Articles of Confederation.

From the description of the Low Federalists,
    The Articles of Confederation have shown you all the folly of weak government, it is true - but that is no reason to make the federal government too powerful, although you certainly still lean on the 'it should definitely be stronger' side than not.
    So by this logic its in direct affront to the principles of the clique. Not to mention all the other issues are directly tied to the power of the central government, how could a nominal government raise tariffs or enforce them, how could it have a national bank, a strong military, etc. its contradictory.

As to your analogy, amnesty isn't a founded principle of the Republican party but a strong(ish) federal government is a founding principle of the Federalist party(actually the founding principle, but that's semantics). This is the reasoning behind the convenient naming system, Anti-Federalist being those apposed to a strong Federal Government and Federalists being those in favor of one.

Political beliefs are a spectrum, not a hard line. I can't see any reason a moderate federalist can't be in favor of a weak central government. Perhaps by "weak" he doesn't believe in the bank, but does believe in a large military? Perhaps he believes in high tariffs, but not federal building projects? One can definitely make it make sense.

Political beliefs are on a spectrum, but there is always a hard-line at some point. An Anti-Federal Federalist is like a Free Soiler who wants slavery expanded westward, by that I mean they appose the central issue their party stands for.

Edit
    But this expanded, all I was saying is he should change his stance to Balance of Powers for continuities' sake.

I don't really see it as opposing it all that much. He still wants Federalism, just not as much on the Federal side as others.

Praepositus

I don't remember seeing this anywhere, but what's the income we're making from trade and tariffs?

None yet, just sign some trade agreements. France will obviously be more receptive to offers if you choose to recognize them, and Britain/Spain and Portugal (later) will be if you continue recognizing the Bourbons as the true rulers of France instead. Each agreement will bring in different amounts of lucre.

What if we condemn both sides until the French stop killing people?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast