View Poll Results: Do you care about the LoD changes?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they breaking immersion and are to prominent.

116 82.27%
  • No, I do not notice them ingame.

25 17.73%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Patch#10 Beta, LoD & terraforming game

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Icon4 Patch#10 Beta, LoD & terraforming game

I want to showcase the new LOD-Level of Detail introduced and hope some of you can post this in the official forum too.
    Brought to attention as patch#10beta feedback by Mr.Freud::http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1078387
    Brought to attention in patch testing by Noif::http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...-10-LOD-Issue?
    Brought to attention in patch testing by Spec74::http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/123637-CA-please-STOP-reducing-the-level-of-detail-on-extreme-graphics-settings.?

The issue is persistent even after patch 10 though we know that the Devs took notice::http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/77520-The-major-issue-of-Rome-II-The-quot-LOD-quot

Video Example & Commentary by alQamar:

LoD issues starting in previous patch (though maybe not that prominent) brough to attention by alQamar::http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-ins-in-Rome-2

After my first shock I decided to install patch#10 beta again and noticed (besides no performance increase) that the world is in constant change now.
    Moving around the map will have constant and very intense popups of detail which brings the immersion and feeling for the game to a new low.

There could be easly many example but I will only show two very similar here.
    NOTE that these changes happen even when moving only slightly which you can see from my camera angle.
    NOTE 2 that I have everything maxed out ingame. (I might be allright with that LoD behavior on lower settings)

Video Example by baptistus:

Example 1: (take a look at the roof of the building in the center)

Example 2: (take a look at the wall of the building in the center)

I am sure there is an easy fix for this that could !make LoD adjustable in the settings! so please lets bring that to CA's attention as its nothing that we wouldn't see.
    Last edited by Ganossa; March 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM.

Default Re: Patch#10 Beta, LoD & terraforming game

Maybe its just one guy doing patches. And they dont let him leave the desk at all. So at patch 10 he's sweating bullets and nothing is on his mind other than dropping the kids of at the pool.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

yeah i noticed it looked terrible today.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

I made a short video to help you (settings: extrem, 1920x1080, gtx 760 i7 3930k)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olMg1...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by baptistus View Post
    I made a short video to help you (settings: extrem, 1920x1080, gtx 760 i7 3930k)
    Wow that's horrendous, I did not realize it was that bad, I have not had a chance to test beta 10 yet, that LOD change is sore thumb noticeable. If CA had prepped this game like they were supposed to, they would not be fixing **cough** breaking**cough things like this right now. Let me leave here silently, I don't want to step on any apologist's toes.
    Last edited by stevehoos; March 10, 2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Foederatus

This whole CA fixing/patching/fixes is starting to seem out of control.

Its "snowballing" and going from bad to worse....consistently(?)(in regards to CA's efforts and lack of progress of late). If graphics are one of the only intersting aspects or improvments of the game and they keep downgrading them what's next I wonder?

Voted
    reducing LOD is the only way they can
    optimize
    the game and
    reduce CPU bottleneck
    . Since patch 1 reducing LOD has been the major and first thing to do
    to increase performance
    But of course, giving us an option to increase LOD would be niсe. It would make our CPUs burn(those settings are CPU dependent), but at least we would be able to make screenshots of great quality(same as the ones they had used in their pre-release false-advertising campaign)
    Last edited by Mr.Freud; March 10, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Oh no! What they've done. I don't wish that they downgraded more in LOD area to get more performance.

Speaking of things looking bad: the pikes look like swarms of eyebrows from distance, the worst looking game graphic on my PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Oh no! What they've done. I don't wish that they downgraded more in LOD area to get more performance.
    Crap, I need to sleep, miss read another post.
    Last edited by Ishan; March 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Double Post
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Thanks for the video! It looks so bad I do not know how they can think you wouldnt notice. It is much more prominent than watching your units fight and lets you think about why the world is constantly changing around you.

Looking at the votes I guess everyone likes to have the option to decrease the LoD effect. I am sure I can easly run that on my system. (if they just would let me)

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

OMG, didn't play since last week, this is a disaster
    The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by ❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋ View Post
    OMG, didn't play since last week, this is a disaster
    Just wait until you see how the sea is constantly changing its level of detail too .... as if that would be of any relevance .... you scroll over some flat texture and it jumps up and down.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    Thanks for the video! It looks so bad I do not know how they can think you wouldnt notice. It is much more prominent than watching your units fight and lets you think about why the world is constantly changing around you.

Looking at the votes I guess everyone likes to have the option to decrease the LoD effect. I am sure I can easly run that on my system. (if they just would let me)
    I already made a thread to CA about this LOD and linked to your threads. (I am pretty sure that someone might be reported this earlier, but just incase).

But... watching units fighting yeah, but it is very awful to see building changing when moving your camera around units fighting. That isn't nice at all.

Ganossa's Avatar 최정장군

Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    I already made a thread to CA about this LOD and linked to your threads. (I am pretty sure that someone might be reported this earlier, but just incase).

But... watching units fighting yeah, but it is very awful to see building changing when moving your camera around units fighting. That isn't nice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Freud View Post
    Thanks guys, the more the merrier.
    - besides I am sure it cannot be that hard to implement an option to decrease/disable LoD. They did the opposite since the game launched with ease already.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferHawk View Post
    Thanks guys, the more the merrier.
    - besides I am sure it cannot be that hard to implement an option to decrease/disable LoD. They did the opposite since the game launched with ease already.
    We should go loud about the problem all over the internets. We should make just as much noise as we made about the DLC situation.

I, personally, have already accepted the fact that nothing left to be done in terms of performance optimizations (propper SLI and Crossfire profiles are the only things they can do for us) - I've been trying hard to enjoy the game, with all of it's flaws(many of which are "unfixable" or are "design decisions") at 20-30 fps. But now they take away image quality? What's next? 2d sprites like in original Medieval? no way.
    Last edited by Mr.Freud; March 10, 2014 at 07:09 PM.

So this is performance patch all about!!! Shame
    ''When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace''.Jimi Hendrix

why they have to make the game uglier than its already is, i imagine how horrible it must look at high settings
    ,its already ugly enough.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

guys have you tried the LOD shame on the campaign map on medium settings max zoom in to the ground? fly around a little bit and OMG mountains cities and basically everything magically disappearing

you should make an actual thread over on those Forums there, not just a post that will get buried, this is a major slap in our face, must think we're 10 year old kids if they think they can get away with this

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast