Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modding summit with Noif (Before, during and after summit)

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Icon1 Modding summit with Noif (Before, during and after summit)

Modding summit with Noif de Bodemloze (Before, during and after summit)

Hello TWC members

I am Noif de Bodemloze from Finland, the modder of TW games.
    I attended to Modding summit 2014 in The creative assembly, Horsham city. I wasn’t only person there. Beside me, there were 7 other brave modders with me: Radious, Mitch, Wangin, Kinjo, Spartan_warrior, Lionheart, Mackles.

Our very kind hostess, Joey CA was made this summit and assisted us in all things to get this working!

My journey started from Helsinki-Vantaa airport station at Sunday, 2nd March around afternoon. I was flying on Norwegian company and my flight to England started pretty well. I was able to use an internet in airplane at first time in my life (I have travelled and flight many time to different places and any of these flight haven’t an internet. This was great chance for me).
    I arrived to Gatwick airport station at 6:05pm, where I picked up a taxi (On Sunday it was very rainy day so I decided to not take a train). When I arrived to Horsham, my first impression about Horsham was positive. I liked those British style buildings and life style. At evening it was very calm and not many people on outside, because of heavy rain. Poor me, I didn’t take my hat to cover my head and ears. I arrived to nice hotel, Travelodge Horsham center hotel. I got my key and went to my room. A hotel room was really same like in hotel pictures in internet so I didn’t have any bad surprise in room. Room was clean and warm, nice toilet and shower. OK, I throw all my stuffs to my room and went out to find other modders. I was quite sure that Radious and Mitch would wait me in hotel entrance, but both persons weren’t there so I haven’t clue where these guys are. For waiting, I went to a pub to take some british ale. Yum! I like it. Later I ordered a meal. After drinking and eating, I looked around a place about shops in the streets. They were very nice and better, what I can’t find in my country, Finland. So pity!

Later I was tired to wait those guys so I went back to my room. Much later around 10-11pm, I was suddenly going to outside and waiting in elevator, but suddenly there came 4 suspecting guys: Radious, Mitch, Kinjo and Lionheart. We shaking hands and discussed about tomorrow and other stuffs. Radious told that he had little meet with CA guys in pub. We went to sleep so early because morning time we need get to modding.

I woke up at 7.30am on Monday, 3rd March. I didn’t sleep well, because one moment I had hot in a room. So I went to Mc Donald for coffee and came back to hotel. I knocked to Radious’s room where Radious was already waked up. Later Mitch and Kinjo came out from their caves. This morning got first victim: Mitch. He forgot his room key to his room and was locked to outside. (haha) It took while when Mitch went to reception desk to ask help with it. Suddenly we were prepared to wait Joey CA to pick up. First we 5 guys were waiting on entrance and later came other modders like Wangrin, Lionheart, Spartanwarrior (and one guy who I don’t remember). Around 8:50am Joey CA, Nico CA and Trish CA appeared to hotel door and called us out. It was glad to see those guys! Awesome! Together, modders and CA were walking together to CA’s HQ. I believe everyone was out of mind when step into a building. Climb up stairs and then… CA’s WORLD opened for us. I was quite speechless to see their place, where they worked and had nice rest room with all kind stuffs, what CA staffs needed for daily break. I rushed to look those awards and their collections what CA saved on their boards. Then together we went to our modding summit –room, where we hold our meeting. Later… the feelings went to the roof when CA faces: CraigTW and Will CA arrived to our room. I was delighted to see these my idols. Later came more CA staffs: Jack Lusted, Guy and other CA deployers. Will CA and Lionheart was setting their video cameras to position. I and Wangrin turned on our laptop/ipad. I was able to use internet so I was keeping updating what happening in summit on TWC.

I saw there were many TWC members logged in and following our doings and answers. (But the way... Thanks for all who were online on that time!)

I don’t remember what time we started our meeting. I think it was about 9.30am. The great CraigTW opened the modding summit –meeting on his great speech and introduce whole CA staff for us. After CraigTW’s speech, it was Guy turn to speak about modding before and after. During his lesson, we were very consecrate to listen about his lesson. (I can say that all lessons and discussion moments was very enjoyable and interesting. I was following a lesson and watching to TWC what people were commenting and asking questions. We got answers to many questions, what we modders and TWC members are discussed very long time since Rome 2 total war was released. Later, we had a lesson about “how to use assembly kit”. Wangrin was writing a long note what we were talking about and while we all modders was talking about issues, what we have spotted, what need to fix and what need to improve. There was many things but I didn't listed to here because there was so many (You can imagine). We had breaks and lunch time during meeting and lunch there was absolutely delicious (You guys can guess what it might be?)

While breaks, we talked with Craig, Will, Guy, Trish, Joey about modding and other stuffs also. I was looking around this CA rest room where they had nice place to rest. Big sofas, tv, games, books in all boards. I spotted nice Spartan helmet and test it on my head. It was quite big helmet that helmet almost covered my whole head. Jesus! Will CA wanted take a picture with me in Spartan helmet. Hell YEAH! (Funny moment that I put that helmet to my head and went to our room so I was like presenting “King Leonidas” in summit for while (Sadly that moment I forgot to take as a picture).
    Later, Jack Lusted was holding a lesson about Rome 2 total war game, like discuss about features, graphics, systems, etc… and later, came CA Campaign AI designers to room to discuss about BAI and CAI. Radious, Kinjo, Mitch was talking what section need really improve and good point was by Radious that he suggested that we modders (and other modders as well) can get a patch note, what upcoming patch will change on DB and other stuffs, so modder don’t need use a lot of time to look each rows.
    (More details about modding, you can see by Wangrin’s note)

During breaks, we took a group photo with modders and CA staffs (Picture you can see in facebook “Total war” and in TWC, modding summit thread in Rome 2 general -section.)
    After lessons and discussions, Lionheart was interviewing all modders and CA staffs (I think that my video wasn’t so good, because I was tired, nervous, overexcited that it was hard to say so I am not good in front of camera, hehe).
    Also CraigTW tried assassinating Mitch by throwing tea bag, but accidently it missed and flied to Radious. More accidents happen, when Lionheart stabbed CraigTW head on camera tripod.

After 7 hours long work about modding tools and Rome 2 game (It was like whole work day!), it was time to relax. Craig, Will, Joey and couple CA staff came with us to “The crown” where we celebrated, having fun together and gave great applauses for Joey CA who worked for this Modding summit and was great host for us. We had good time with them and we talked about mods, movies, games, Rally point (like I interviewed Will CA about Rally point where he and CraigTW were dealing with dogs. It was epic story to hear and more Will’s stories and history. He is one my big idol, i must admire.)
    After pub trip, we were very hungry so finally we went to a restaurant (Beautiful medieval style building), where we ate awesome meals!!! (Even I got the best medium steak in my life. I have never eaten that kind quality beef any place.). After eating, Wangrin went to sleep first. Then Joey CA, who gave big hugs for everyone and giving farewell wishes to home trip. I and Radious had early flight so we left later after Joey CA. It was near 10pm when I turned off to bed.
    Tuesday, 4th March.
    Me and Radious woke up early around 4:30am to wait our taxi to get back to Gatwick airport station. We also were waiting Wangrin to come with us so we didn’t found him before taxi came and we left (He was waiting us in reception desk while we were outside and not able to see to inside. Suddenly me, Radious (and wangrin later came by on metro) so we were together for while until our flights called us back to countries. My flight flied off from Gatwick at 9:40am.

After this all, I was really happy about this journey and this modding summit was great, the best moment in my life. I hope that this modding summit give a hope for Rome 2 total war –game and also for other upcoming TW game as well. Give great chance for modders to know more about game and modding things. Great chance to give feedback for CA, that they can make changes for game and tools. You will see them soon, later or near future!

I want thanks for every modders who attended on this modding summit.
    Everyone were great persons with their own talents and knowledge about modding. It was great to see on face to face.
    Thanks for CA staffs, who arranged this modding meeting, hotel and flights. Specially thanks for Joey CA, Will CA and CraigTW who are been with us all time during day. (They were awesome people, specially Will CA! )

Thanks your time with reading.
    Noif de Bodemloze, Finland

From same tastes, here are some pictures from modding summit:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Default Re: Modding summit with Noif (Before, during and after summit)

First.

It's good to see that Joey, Will and Craig are working their butts off for us and the modders as well
    Last edited by BunnyPoopCereal; March 04, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

Zaskar70's Avatar Civis

Sounds like a great Time Noif! I hope some good discussions were had

Nice write up, sounds like it was pretty fun! Maybe next time exchange phone numbers so you're not all waiting in different places (or PM each other through TWC ). What did you all 'learn' from the summit, or was it more about telling CA what you need and how things can be improved?

Didn't know lionheart was a modder
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    He videoed the event

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    Lionheart is a boss.

Nice write up Noif, it was an amazing event and a pleasure to meet all of you guys.

Btw mackles is the unnamed modder in your adventure.
    Last edited by Kinjo; March 04, 2014 at 09:21 PM.

So what does the actual Total War community going to get out of this summit? It so far sounds like it was just a vacation for the people that went.

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    So what does the actual Total War community going to get out of this summit? It so far sounds like it was just a vacation for the people that went.
    Yeah thus far the so called most moddable TW yet seems like it will never get anything but superficial modding ability with all the things people want to change to make the campaign less than a bland bore fest hard codded...

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Sun Jetzu's Avatar Vicarius

glad to see everyday total war fans with CA
    One Punch Man Series VS My Hero Academia Series - Who's Better?

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Documentation, possible UI access (decompiled luac as mentioned by Mitch), a greater awareness of issues faced by both sides, possibly an established line of communication. I know that doesn't sound like much to most people (ok, the UI should be recognisable to anyone, but the rest...), but further communication and documentation would be massive steps foward, just maybe not ones felt immediately by mod users.

What I'm trying to say is that a 6-8 hour meeting was not going to result in a family tree mod suddenly appearing (for lack of a better example). That's never what the summit was about, so stop expecting something earthshattering for "mod users" to appear.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Zephyrus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    Documentation, possible UI access (decompiled luac as mentioned by Mitch), a greater awareness of issues faced by both sides, possibly an established line of communication. I know that doesn't sound like much to most people (ok, the UI should be recognisable to anyone, but the rest...), but further communication and documentation would be massive steps foward, just maybe not ones felt immediately by mod users.

What I'm trying to say is that a 6-8 hour meeting was not going to result in a family tree mod suddenly appearing (for lack of a better example). That's never what the summit was about, so stop expecting something earthshattering for "mod users" to appear.
    It would be "earthshattering" if the developers at CA and the modders present there were able to bring back the news that the horrendous AI would be improved in subsequent future patches, that "the most moddable game in TW" would have less hard-coded features and more possibilities for improvement, in areas such as music files, animation files, naval combat mechanics, and seige mechanics.

What I've gathered from the starstruck responses of the summit are that there are possibilities, not concrete answers aside from an upcoming Patch 10. Very hard to be optimistic and swayed over to support CA, when the entire game would have to be modded for a significantly better experience than it's predecessor, RTWI.
    SEMPER FIDELIS Remember Constantinople Κωνσταντινούπολη

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
    It would be "earthshattering" if the developers at CA and the modders present there were able to bring back the news that the horrendous AI would be improved in subsequent future patches, that "the most moddable game in TW" would have less hard-coded features and more possibilities for improvement, in areas such as music files, animation files, naval combat mechanics, and seige mechanics.

What I've gathered from the starstruck responses of the summit are that there are possibilities, not concrete answers aside from an upcoming Patch 10. Very hard to be optimistic and swayed over to support CA, when the entire game would have to be modded for a significantly better experience than it's predecessor, RTWI.
    You really can't expect more then possibilities from the Summit. Because if CA said, "yes we will definitely do so and so.", it'll make them look pretty bad if something unexpected comes up, or something changes, or it simply wasn't possible. A "maybe" is a better answer then a "no", and from what I've gathered from those who went there, some of the things that are "hard-coded" are only because the tools to change them are not out yet, or in the case of music, is being looked into if it can be changed or not.

It is unlikely CA would ever give concrete answers, because it's risky to give a concrete answer in a business. Particularly when you sponsor it, and people are recording it and such.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Good report Noif, 7 hours testing tools? am I right? wow it seems a good workshop there.
    Positive vibes come from this summint, Radious words too are really good.
    I'm pretty curious about incoming stuffs and new patch

you get an helmet
    welcome back

Documentation, possible UI access, a greater awareness of issues faced by both sides, possibly an established line of communication. I know that doesn't sound like much to most people (ok, the UI should be recognisable to anyone, but the rest...), but further communication and documentation would be massive steps foward, just maybe not ones felt immediately by mod users.
    So if what you say is correct, CA has made absolutely no effort to ascertain what modders wanted since the last summit AND the years of opportunity of contact with the online community, datamining, and "posibly" establishing a line of communication that apparently never existed since when?

I wasn't expecting a family tree mod suddenly appearing or whatever example you wanted to make. I WAS expecting them to answer questions, questions that probably should have been put forth and received prior to the summit since, you know, it would only be about 6-8 hours, give or take a few spent at the pub.
    As far as I am cocnerned, this summit never had the intention of "earthshattering" results, though that's not my concern. What IS my concern, is that it seems CA has no idea what to make of the summit besides a feel-good reach-out gimmick to a select few fans to drum up attention to the brand. IMO, if I were to organize a summit about modding a game like Rome2 and actually intend the mod summit to be about modding Rome2, I'd think ahead of what the community would want or expect, and at the actual meeting figure things out with the modders themselves.

What DID happen, it seems, was that we got a lot of "this ain't happening" or "We'll think about it" answers...answers that could have easily been given online and not in person. Hence I am wondering precisely what was the point of this summit...again, besides generating hype.

Black_Nebula's Avatar Tiro

Great story, thanks for sharing. Years ago they shunned TWC modders, then embraced them, then shunned them, now back to embracing, great to hear.
    "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" -DV

So if what you say is correct, CA has made absolutely no effort to ascertain what modders wanted since the last summit AND the years of opportunity of contact with the online community, datamining, and "posibly" establishing a line of communication that apparently never existed since when?
    CA provided very relevant modding information about Rome II on day 1 of release:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...initions-files
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-Modding-Info

Was that a result of the last modding summit? Don't know.
    Does that matter? No. Point is they are making (relevant) effort to support modding.

Is there any other company which organizes this sort of thing at all? No.
    Was any of the participants of the summit disappointed? No.
    Are there still people in the community giving CA a hard time for not doing things right? Yes.
    Well who could that be? The same people who keep proving with nearly every single post that they don't know a thing about modding.

I've called people up on that before and actually once got the response "oh, the old 'you have to know what you're talking about to post'" line.
    Well yes, nobody will take you seriously if that is what you do.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Indefinitely Banned
    The western part of an Island They thought a kind of Coffee...

I'll write my more serious questions on Mitch's thread, so:

Why are you all just accept Radious getting Teabagged by CA! Retaliate! Show them TWC Modder's Power, who almost monopolizes the entire Total War Modding Scene!

And, Who's who in the Pictures? They say wangrin is one Hot Frenchmen, which one is he?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by weirdoascensor View Post
    And, Who's who in the Pictures? They say wangrin is one Hot Frenchmen, which one is he?
    CA/SEGA will have to pay advertising fee if we know which one is who (though I probably recognize a few).

Anyway, it seems that many people still don't understand what modding summit is about and more sadly what mods and modding actually are.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

rep am agreeing with Daelin4 on this. more PR stunt than anything usefull...

still am glad the modders enjoyed some British hospitality if anything. lucky they didnt get the bad weather we had recently. floods etc...

i'd actually like to see an official list of things talked about and things which are going to improve the game.

just smacks of "cool story bro" atm.
    Last edited by Totalheadache; March 05, 2014 at 03:44 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast